Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18263 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting post, valid
Thank you. I also appreciate your civil, objective insights on atheism. After all, we all come from the same thing, even IF that thing is nothing.
LCNlin

United States

#18264 Aug 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Still a stupid person with no proof god lincoln troll.
Pay your taxes to the Church of England.;-)

In America
we have
freedom of speech!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

or abridging the freedom of speech,

or of the press;

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,

and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Jimmy C

Uniontown, PA

#18265 Aug 24, 2013
Bydney Fartholomew wrote:
<quoted text>
Most religious people have been effectively brainwashed from birth, and whilst it is true that there have been gay Christians and Christian scientists, religion, Christianity in particular, by its very nature goes against the grain of rationality and science. I mean, how is it possible for people to still believe in Creationism in light of what we have learned from Darwin?
Also, Agnostics and Atheists are just as capable of love as any religious person.
You'll find that those types of people--brainwashed ones, aren't as secure in their faith. My parents aren't particularly religious. I hardly ever went to church as a kid. By the time I was 16, though, old enough to reason, I got a feel for what the true message of Christianity was, and it's extremely simple: love everyone and live a life for God's glory--which is just love.

Because love, acceptance, and gratitude for what is all around them are most important aspects of their faith, you'll find that many Christians-and I mean those who do it right, not the wackos you read about-aren't as concerned with material goods and power and money as people might be who don't believe all you need to live a happy life is love.

Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone who doesn't believe God created us and Jesus was his son and Jesus said to love everyone like you love your self from leading fulfilling lives. Nothing does, but when you "know God," it all becomes a lot easier.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18266 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming religion is devoid of critical inquiry, your line of argument makes sense.
It **is** in our present culture to "respect" any lunatic who claims "religion" as an excuse for abusive or antisocial behavior.

And any **religion** that systematically practices abuse or oppression of a minority segment of our population?

Is being antisocial.

The whole religiously-motivated anti-gay thing is one example.

The whole anti-abortion thing--stripping women of their right to be in control of their own bodies is another.

It's time to stop "respecting" such bigotry.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18267 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
For me personally, though, all I've done has been critically inquire. And what I've concluded is that what I myself consider the tenets of Christianity: Do unto others as you would like done unto you and Have no God other than me (i.e. money, power) do nothing to hinder human development.
You do realize that these are not only **not** unique, but they are **not** even original?

As for your "have no other god"? You misunderstand that bit-- it's one of the several proofs that the authors of the bible were polytheistic-- they **literally** believed there were many gods in the universe. They put that one in, to try to promote **their** god above all the **other** gods.

As for hindering human development?

Well... explain to me why most Genuine Christians™ were/are against stem cell research?

If that is **not** hindering, I do not know what is...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18268 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Yes there are plenty of examples of religiously-charged acts of hate and violence. I believe if you do that, you're doing it wrong.
To me? That just proves that there are NO gods behind ANY religion!

What sort of god who **cares** about humans, would suffer such as that to sully the name "god" like that?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18269 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Jesus--if he truly did exist--didn't bomb abortion clinics or torture homosexuals. Those radicals act in the name of a prophet who made his point by loving and working miracles.
For the record, the paragraph above doesn't go to prove Jesus was real...it goes to prove that the bibleknockers who commit acts of violence aren't worshipping their respective God properly.
Well, I certainly cannot fault your reasoning here.

The **only** times we have Jesus getting mad?

Are two: a fig tree being cursed for, well being true to it's nature.

And Jesus wrecking a nice profit-making business-- he clearly did not like capitalism.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18270 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll find that those types of people--brainwashed ones, aren't as secure in their faith. My parents aren't particularly religious. I hardly ever went to church as a kid. By the time I was 16, though, old enough to reason, I got a feel for what the true message of Christianity was, and it's extremely simple: love everyone and live a life for God's glory--which is just love.

Because love, acceptance, and gratitude for what is all around them are most important aspects of their faith, you'll find that many Christians-and I mean those who do it right, not the wackos you read about-aren't as concerned with material goods and power and money as people might be who don't believe all you need to live a happy life is love.

Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone who doesn't believe God created us and Jesus was his son and Jesus said to love everyone like you love your self from leading fulfilling lives. Nothing does, but when you "know God," it all becomes a lot easier.
"Dammit, Jim! I'm a Doctor, not a Lawyer!
You've ruined my Pigeon Hole Project again!"

<laughing>

The posts you just made on this thread, proves to 100% that we [meaning me] really should not be quick to judge a person, based on a single post.

<laughing harder at myself>

Interesting post, by the way.
LCNlin

United States

#18271 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, well thought out, and tolerant.
Jimmy C

Coraopolis, PA

#18272 Aug 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I certainly cannot fault your reasoning here.
The **only** times we have Jesus getting mad?
Are two: a fig tree being cursed for, well being true to it's nature.
And Jesus wrecking a nice profit-making business-- he clearly did not like capitalism.
:)
He didn't like avaricious merchants idolizing profit. Who does?
Jimmy C

Coraopolis, PA

#18273 Aug 24, 2013
<quoted text>
You do realize that these are not only **not** unique, but they are **not** even original?
As for your "have no other god"? You misunderstand that bit-- it's one of the several proofs that the authors of the bible were polytheistic-- they **literally** believed there were many gods in the universe. They put that one in, to try to promote **their** god above all the **other** gods.
As for hindering human development?
Well... explain to me why most Genuine Christians™ were/are against stem cell research?
If that is **not** hindering, I do not know what is...
Are you saying that because God wanted to have no gods before him, the authors of the bible we're polytheistic? That the term "other" was an acknowledgement of their existence? Respectfully, that is a speculative, far fetched assertion and hardy qualifies as proof, especially given the repeated references to god as "the only true God."

As for "genuine Christians," that is debatable. I don't think the scientific insights one could gain from stem cell research are anti Christian. Those who do are perhaps misguided...
Jimmy C

Coraopolis, PA

#18274 Aug 24, 2013
<quoted text>
To me? That just proves that there are NO gods behind ANY religion!
What sort of god who **cares** about humans, would suffer such as that to sully the name "god" like that?
Because strong Christians know that happiness is rooted beyond this world and consists of more than earthly possessions and gratification. Bad things happen. It is ultimately we who decide if they cripple out livelihood. Christianity teaches us to be strong and have faith in unwavering love. Those people aren't genuine Christians, their actions are not representative of my faith.
LCNlin

United States

#18275 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Because strong Christians know that happiness is rooted beyond this world and consists of more than earthly possessions and gratification. Bad things happen. It is ultimately we who decide if they cripple out livelihood. Christianity teaches us to be strong and have faith in unwavering love. Those people aren't genuine Christians, their actions are not representative of my faith.
Christians, Agnostics, Jews and Atheists can all have a sound moral compass.
spider

Ely, UK

#18276 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the evidence Jimmy,,,,other than words from men, nothing more.
LCNlin

United States

#18277 Aug 24, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the evidence Jimmy,,,,other than words from men, nothing more.
ask Tom Cruise?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18278 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't like avaricious merchants idolizing profit. Who does?
Erm.... the entire Republican Party?

<grin>

And most of the Democrats, too?

<bigger grin>

I think Jesus would have "turned over the tables" in our Congress, had he been a member.

In any case, Jesus clearly despised capitalism-- he didn't own anything, and strongly advised his followers to do the same.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18279 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that because God wanted to have no gods before him, the authors of the bible we're polytheistic?
Yep. That is quite clear in that commandment and in many other places in the bible.

The bible's authors did believe in multiple gods.

There would have been **no** reason for commandment #1 otherwise-- there already was an admonition against idolatry (the incorrect examples **you** listed).
Jimmy C wrote:
That the term "other" was an acknowledgement of their existence?
Very clearly, it was--**especially** if taken in context of the entire book.
Jimmy C wrote:
Respectfully, that is a speculative, far fetched assertion and hardy qualifies as proof, especially given the repeated references to god as "the only true God."
Nope. Even your phrase "only true god" implies **other** gods-- just not **true** gods.

And you clearly do not get the Hebrew mentality, either-- "true" in this case, meant **Hebrew**.

That's the only thing the authors cared about anyhow.
Jimmy C wrote:
As for "genuine Christians," that is debatable. I don't think the scientific insights one could gain from stem cell research are anti Christian. Those who do are perhaps misguided...
I never said stem cell research was anti-christian!

I **said** that the most vocal christians were **against** stem cell research, for no discernible or valid reason I can locate.

Just because some idiot told them to be against it...!

Sad, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18280 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Because strong Christians know that happiness is rooted beyond this world and consists of more than earthly possessions and gratification.
How sad. I am quite happy-- and I have no "roots" (as you say) in anything beyond **this** existence.

Of course, neither do you-- if you eliminate your fantasies.
Jimmy C wrote:
Bad things happen.
Yep. 100% proof that there are NO GODS WHO GIVE A CRAP.

Thanks!
Jimmy C wrote:
It is ultimately we who decide if they cripple out livelihood. Christianity teaches us to be strong and have faith in unwavering love. Those people aren't genuine Christians, their actions are not representative of my faith.
No True Scotsman. Gotcha.
LCNlin

United States

#18281 Aug 24, 2013
amusing as always
LOL
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#18282 Aug 24, 2013
Qualities of a True Prophet of God:

J. Ninth Quality: Prophets do not Contradict or Reject each other:

All prophets receive information from the same source, i.e. God, so their teachings do not contradict each other.

A True prophet of God would not reject or say bad words about prophets which preceded him, because they form a sort of brotherhood in front of their God.

Even when some parts of code of law of an earlier prophet is abrogated; it is done without any criticism of that prophet. Because both the original code and revised code come from the same God, the earlier law needed to be revised because of changed circumstances; there is no blame on earlier prophet.

J1: Rejection of Any Prophet of God is Serious Crime in the eyes of God:

Prophets are sent by God with express purpose to provide guidance, and they have Approval and Might of God at their back, any one willfully rejecting a True Prophet of God takes a very serious risk.

The risk becomes more serious when the Prophet whose mission is active and in-force is rejected by any one. This is like a direct act of treason in the eyes of God.

Because if some one rejects a Prophet of God, it means that he or she has rejected the One who sent that prophet.

J2: Rejection of One Prophet is as if one has rejected all Prophets:

All Prophets form a common brotherhood; rejection of one is treated as rejection of all.

Those who think that they are being “extra loyal” to their prophet by spending all their efforts and energies in rejecting another Prophet of God, might get a rude shock in the hereafter, when they see both prophets sitting side by side on thrones of honor, and BOTH looking at him with angry faces!!

So beware be these “Die Hard” supporters of their own Prophets; who do not give a damn how insulting and how abusive are they to other True Prophets of God. They are certainly not on the side of their own Prophets!!

J3: Safe course if in doubt about any Prophet of God:

If someone has not researched and satisfied himself or herself that so and so is a True Prophet of God or not, the safest course is to hold their tongue and do not start criticising them and start abusing them or making fun of them.

Their crime would be lessened if they hold their tongue and continue their research. They would indeed be in a very awkward situation, if they became enemies of any True Prophet of God, without completing their research, and die in the stage of enmity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr marlboro man 77,144
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr The FACTory 941
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Aerobatty 258,484
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) 7 hr The FACTory 4,334
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 hr The FACTory 32,301
Atheists are subhuman filth that need to be exe... Wed Roec 1
Religion sux ? Tue Eagle 12 - 4
More from around the web