Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18250 Aug 23, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
How atheists became the most colossally smug and annoying people on the planet
When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying? Surely non-believers in God weren't always the colossal pains in the collective backside that they are today? Surely there was a time when you could say to someone "I am an atheist" without them instantly assuming you were a smug, self-righteous loather of dumb hicks given to making pseudo-clever statements like, "Well, Leviticus also frowns upon having unkempt hair, did you know that?"
Things are now so bad that I tend to keep my atheism to myself, and instead mumble something about being a very lapsed Catholic if I'm put on the spot, for fear that uttering the A-word will make people think I'm a Dawkins drone with a mammoth superiority complex and a hives-like allergy to nurses wearing crucifixes.
These days, barely a week passes without the emergence of yet more evidence that atheists are the most irritating people on Earth. Last week we had the spectacle of Dawkins and his slavish Twitter followers (whose adherence to Dawkins' diktats makes those Kool-Aid-drinking Jonestown folk seem level-headed in comparison) boring on about how stupid Muslims are. This week we've been treated to new scientific research claiming to show that atheists are cleverer than religious people. I say scientific. I say research. It is of course neither; it's just a pre-existing belief dolled up in rags snatched from various reports and stories. Not unlike the Bible. But that hasn't stopped the atheistic blogosphere and Twitterati from effectively saying, "See? Told you we were brainier than you Bible-reading numbskulls."
ah.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/1 00230985/how-atheists-became-t he-most-colossally-smug-and-an noying-people-on-the-planet/
All you need to do is prove your god and you stop looking like an idiot.

Location hidden

#18251 Aug 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Qualities of a True Prophet of God:
H. Eighth Quality: Prophets were sent to all nations of world:
Since every nation and every people need guidance from God to fulfill their mission of life and True Guidance can only come thru Revelation; that is why God sent Prophets and Messengers to every nation in all parts of world.
These prophets came in all ages and spoke in the languages of their people and delivered the guidance of God and asked their followers to follow them and take them as their role models.
H1. No one except God knows exact number of Prophets:
No one except God knows the exact numbers of Prophets and Messengers. We know the names of only a handful of them, and most of them remain unknown to us.
H2 A Prophet of God is deemed alive as long as his True Teachings remain intact:
In case any one should deduce that Physical Presence of Prophet of God is essential in every age and time; let it suffice that a prophet is deemed alive as long as his teachings and sayings and actions are preserved and reach posterity in reliable form.
This is way of God that He sends another prophet to revive the message of old Prophet, when it has been almost forgotten or so much changed and distorted thru passage of time; or circumstances have changed so much that people might fall into serious error unless it is revised or updated.
Your god isn't real, its in your imagination and has nothing to do with atheists.

Location hidden

#18252 Aug 23, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying? Surely non-believers in God weren't always the colossal pains in the collective backside that they are today? Surely there was a time when you could say to someone "I am an atheist" without them instantly assuming you were a smug, self-righteous loather of dumb hicks given to making pseudo-clever statements like, "Well, Leviticus also frowns upon having unkempt hair, did you know that?"
Things are now so bad that I tend to keep my atheism to myself, and instead mumble something about being a very lapsed Catholic if I'm put on the spot, for fear that uttering the A-word will make people think I'm a Dawkins drone with a mammoth superiority complex and a hives-like allergy to nurses wearing crucifixes.
These days, barely a week passes without the emergence of yet more evidence that atheists are the most irritating people on Earth. Last week we had the spectacle of Dawkins and his slavish Twitter followers (whose adherence to Dawkins' diktats makes those Kool-Aid-drinking Jonestown folk seem level-headed in comparison) boring on about how stupid Muslims are. This week we've been treated to new scientific research claiming to show that atheists are cleverer than religious people. I say scientific. I say research. It is of course neither; it's just a pre-existing belief dolled up in rags snatched from various reports and stories. Not unlike the Bible. But that hasn't stopped the atheistic blogosphere and Twitterati from effectively saying, "See? Told you we were brainier than you Bible-reading numbskulls."
ah.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/1 00230985/how-atheists-became-t he-most-colossally-smug-and-an noying-people-on-the-planet/
Creationists are dishonest people with no morals who enjoy lying about god being real.

They cannot attack atheism, so they attack its figureheads like dawkins. Secretly believing that atheism, like religion answers to a prophet.

Its a shame creationists don't actually undertand who they cricisise and must lie so shamelessly in front of smart people.

maybe these lost children will one day wake from their chosen slumber?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18253 Aug 23, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying?
Easy!

By asking you QUESTIONS that you not only cannot answer?

But questions that you DARE NEVER answer!

For the answers would PROVE your ugly religion is false!

LOL!

And you fanatics REALLY hate when that happen!

You get SO MAD, that you want to blow something up...!!
LCNlin

United States

#18256 Aug 24, 2013
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning....

Albert Einstein

Question the many fallacies of atheism, the unproved religion

Location hidden

#18257 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning....
Albert Einstein
Question the many fallacies of atheism, the unproved religion
Still a stupid person with no proof god lincoln troll.
Jimmy C

Irwin, PA

#18258 Aug 24, 2013
I don't think we can make blanket statements about religion in general...whether or not worshipping a deity makes one pious, backward, or na´ve depends on the terms of one's religion.

Just because someone believes in the Gospel doesn't mean he has to reject science and hate the homosexuals or whatever negative characteristics people associate with the loud religious fringe.

It just means he believes in the Gospel and that he should love those around him unconditionally, the same way he believes he is loved.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18259 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
I don't think we can make blanket statements about religion in general...whether or not worshipping a deity makes one pious, backward, or na´ve depends on the terms of one's religion.

Just because someone believes in the Gospel doesn't mean he has to reject science and hate the homosexuals or whatever negative characteristics people associate with the loud religious fringe.

It just means he believes in the Gospel and that he should love those around him unconditionally, the same way he believes he is loved.
I agree with the bare-bones of what you say, here-- that is? Upon face value, your statements make sense.

The problem lies with the **consequences** of the sort of beliefs you are speaking of.

So long as religion is always given a free pass-- devoid of critical inquiry?(as is now, in the USA)

Then this special status of "you **must** respect my beliefs" permits not only reasonable folk, who do not force their beliefs onto the rest of the world?

But it **also** enables the zealots, who do-- those who use their faith as a weapon, to drag homosexuals behind pickup truck, to bomb women's clinics, to blow up crowded malls or buildings, to make horrible oppressive LAWS that affect **everyone**.

That **is** the consequences of permitting religion a free pass, when it comes to critical analysis.

More to the point?

Any time we humans **do** examine religion with an objective lens?

Religion **always** fails.

Always-- and without exception, religion falls flat on it's face, when examined CLOSELY.
Bydney Fartholomew

Burnley, UK

#18260 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Most religious people have been effectively brainwashed from birth, and whilst it is true that there have been gay Christians and Christian scientists, religion, Christianity in particular, by its very nature goes against the grain of rationality and science. I mean, how is it possible for people to still believe in Creationism in light of what we have learned from Darwin?

Also, Agnostics and Atheists are just as capable of love as any religious person.
LCNlin

United States

#18261 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Interesting post, valid
Jimmy C

Irwin, PA

#18262 Aug 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the bare-bones of what you say, here-- that is? Upon face value, your statements make sense.
The problem lies with the **consequences** of the sort of beliefs you are speaking of.
So long as religion is always given a free pass-- devoid of critical inquiry?(as is now, in the USA)
Then this special status of "you **must** respect my beliefs" permits not only reasonable folk, who do not force their beliefs onto the rest of the world?
But it **also** enables the zealots, who do-- those who use their faith as a weapon, to drag homosexuals behind pickup truck, to bomb women's clinics, to blow up crowded malls or buildings, to make horrible oppressive LAWS that affect **everyone**.
That **is** the consequences of permitting religion a free pass, when it comes to critical analysis.
More to the point?
Any time we humans **do** examine religion with an objective lens?
Religion **always** fails.
Always-- and without exception, religion falls flat on it's face, when examined CLOSELY.
Assuming religion is devoid of critical inquiry, your line of argument makes sense.

For me personally, though, all I've done has been critically inquire. And what I've concluded is that what I myself consider the tenets of Christianity: Do unto others as you would like done unto you and Have no God other than me (i.e. money, power) do nothing to hinder human development.

Yes there are plenty of examples of religiously-charged acts of hate and violence. I believe if you do that, you're doing it wrong. Jesus--if he truly did exist--didn't bomb abortion clinics or torture homosexuals. Those radicals act in the name of a prophet who made his point by loving and working miracles.

For the record, the paragraph above doesn't go to prove Jesus was real...it goes to prove that the bibleknockers who commit acts of violence aren't worshipping their respective God properly.
Jimmy C

Irwin, PA

#18263 Aug 24, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting post, valid
Thank you. I also appreciate your civil, objective insights on atheism. After all, we all come from the same thing, even IF that thing is nothing.
LCNlin

United States

#18264 Aug 24, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Still a stupid person with no proof god lincoln troll.
Pay your taxes to the Church of England.;-)

In America
we have
freedom of speech!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

or abridging the freedom of speech,

or of the press;

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,

and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Jimmy C

Irwin, PA

#18265 Aug 24, 2013
Bydney Fartholomew wrote:
<quoted text>
Most religious people have been effectively brainwashed from birth, and whilst it is true that there have been gay Christians and Christian scientists, religion, Christianity in particular, by its very nature goes against the grain of rationality and science. I mean, how is it possible for people to still believe in Creationism in light of what we have learned from Darwin?
Also, Agnostics and Atheists are just as capable of love as any religious person.
You'll find that those types of people--brainwashed ones, aren't as secure in their faith. My parents aren't particularly religious. I hardly ever went to church as a kid. By the time I was 16, though, old enough to reason, I got a feel for what the true message of Christianity was, and it's extremely simple: love everyone and live a life for God's glory--which is just love.

Because love, acceptance, and gratitude for what is all around them are most important aspects of their faith, you'll find that many Christians-and I mean those who do it right, not the wackos you read about-aren't as concerned with material goods and power and money as people might be who don't believe all you need to live a happy life is love.

Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone who doesn't believe God created us and Jesus was his son and Jesus said to love everyone like you love your self from leading fulfilling lives. Nothing does, but when you "know God," it all becomes a lot easier.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18266 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming religion is devoid of critical inquiry, your line of argument makes sense.
It **is** in our present culture to "respect" any lunatic who claims "religion" as an excuse for abusive or antisocial behavior.

And any **religion** that systematically practices abuse or oppression of a minority segment of our population?

Is being antisocial.

The whole religiously-motivated anti-gay thing is one example.

The whole anti-abortion thing--stripping women of their right to be in control of their own bodies is another.

It's time to stop "respecting" such bigotry.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18267 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
For me personally, though, all I've done has been critically inquire. And what I've concluded is that what I myself consider the tenets of Christianity: Do unto others as you would like done unto you and Have no God other than me (i.e. money, power) do nothing to hinder human development.
You do realize that these are not only **not** unique, but they are **not** even original?

As for your "have no other god"? You misunderstand that bit-- it's one of the several proofs that the authors of the bible were polytheistic-- they **literally** believed there were many gods in the universe. They put that one in, to try to promote **their** god above all the **other** gods.

As for hindering human development?

Well... explain to me why most Genuine ChristiansÖ were/are against stem cell research?

If that is **not** hindering, I do not know what is...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18268 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Yes there are plenty of examples of religiously-charged acts of hate and violence. I believe if you do that, you're doing it wrong.
To me? That just proves that there are NO gods behind ANY religion!

What sort of god who **cares** about humans, would suffer such as that to sully the name "god" like that?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18269 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
Jesus--if he truly did exist--didn't bomb abortion clinics or torture homosexuals. Those radicals act in the name of a prophet who made his point by loving and working miracles.
For the record, the paragraph above doesn't go to prove Jesus was real...it goes to prove that the bibleknockers who commit acts of violence aren't worshipping their respective God properly.
Well, I certainly cannot fault your reasoning here.

The **only** times we have Jesus getting mad?

Are two: a fig tree being cursed for, well being true to it's nature.

And Jesus wrecking a nice profit-making business-- he clearly did not like capitalism.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18270 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll find that those types of people--brainwashed ones, aren't as secure in their faith. My parents aren't particularly religious. I hardly ever went to church as a kid. By the time I was 16, though, old enough to reason, I got a feel for what the true message of Christianity was, and it's extremely simple: love everyone and live a life for God's glory--which is just love.

Because love, acceptance, and gratitude for what is all around them are most important aspects of their faith, you'll find that many Christians-and I mean those who do it right, not the wackos you read about-aren't as concerned with material goods and power and money as people might be who don't believe all you need to live a happy life is love.

Of course, that doesn't preclude anyone who doesn't believe God created us and Jesus was his son and Jesus said to love everyone like you love your self from leading fulfilling lives. Nothing does, but when you "know God," it all becomes a lot easier.
"Dammit, Jim! I'm a Doctor, not a Lawyer!
You've ruined my Pigeon Hole Project again!"

<laughing>

The posts you just made on this thread, proves to 100% that we [meaning me] really should not be quick to judge a person, based on a single post.

<laughing harder at myself>

Interesting post, by the way.
LCNlin

United States

#18271 Aug 24, 2013
Jimmy C wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, well thought out, and tolerant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 2 hr thetruth 101
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr thetruth 239,051
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr thetruth 7,272
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr thetruth 7,448
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
More from around the web