Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
17,221 - 17,240 of 21,387 Comments Last updated 49 min ago

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

What you posted were not miracles Muq and you know it. They are greeting card pleasant events not dazzling impossible miracles from your invisible sky wizard. What do you think about the widely shown Muslim cartoons glorifying suicide bombing to Muslim children?
MUQ wrote:
Look at these "low level responses" to my civil and peaceful post.
This has become the "norm" for these High IQ people on this thread.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

So you admit you seek total oppression of people who do not worship as you do?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
2. One aspect of Hindus that I like is that they do not oppose people worshiping any thing and every thing.
This is biggest negative quality.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

Lelouch0 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post and I have to say that I agree with you on most of what you said. Religion has caused a lot of strife and conflict in the world, but there are also other factors at work as well. We must not forget that.
There are but that almost sounds like muddying the waters to create doubt that religion has "worked" in the past, so let's keep doing it.

Now focus in and put a spotlight on religion and the benefits it has.

Three items come to my mind -

Prayer has a meditative effect. But you don't need a god or a messiah to do the same thing.

In Western Europe, the Papacy was a check on Kings because of the bluff of excommunication of a nation. Mixed results there and the bluff was finally called with England's Henry VIII.

Aside from Kings, the Church was a keeper of knowledge as long as it wasn't against dogma. I'm no conspiracy buff, but I'd be curious to see what the Vatican has stored in its deeper vaults.

I'm not expecting much as the RCC did have a habit of destroying documents to secure their authority.

Granted, this is Western European religion but from the bits I've learned of other major religions, the basics aren't that much different.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
What you posted were not miracles Muq and you know it. They are greeting card pleasant events not dazzling impossible miracles from your invisible sky wizard. What do you think about the widely shown Muslim cartoons glorifying suicide bombing to Muslim children?
<quoted text>
Please tell us what do you mean by a Miracle?

Let us start with a,b,c, of the subject.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

GM wrote:

1. Because everything should be looked at with a critical eye. This is how we work to makes things better.

Religion makes the claim they know the perfection of god. And then gets all upset and stabby when the claims are scrutinized...

1a. Yeah, right. All the money goes to the poor. All those imams on TV I see seem to be well fed. And they'll send just enough of it to the desperate to fight on the front lines for them.

2. Ahh, I see. The Hindus allow you to worship freely. But you don't really want to return the favor as evidenced by the negative aspect you said.

The funny (as in odd or strange) thing is that had you been born in the US, I would hazard a guess you would be a fundamentalist Christian. You use the same arguments to promote your version of god.

And science has enabled us in a few hundred years to do a lot of things religion promises but failed to do in thousands of years.

Science has found a way to grow more crops to feed the multitudes, invent machines to weave and clothe the poor, allow communication across the globe and translate languages easily, launch spacecraft to explore the heavens, combat disease, harness the fundamental properties of lightning to light the room and power the computer on which you type, provide warnings of impending natural disasters so you can take appropriate action and, sadly, kill each other on a scale that satan or god of any holy book wish they could.

Meanwhile, religion has given us what?
The proper way to bathe before entering the mosque?
What animals to sacrifice to ward off the plague?
That "heretical" sects of your religion are not an enemy but are a false friend until the enemies of your religion are conquered?
That killing each other in the name of your particular god is a righteous and moral imperative?

So miracles are no longer supernatural events?

Today it rained. a miracle.
I logged onto Topix. a miracle.
Achoo! I sneezed! a miracle.
A plane crashed killing all 200 aboard. a miracle.
the nation of Israel is reborn. a miracle.
Atheists exist. a miracle.
Ans.

1. Looking things with criticism does not mean that you become unreasonable when it comes to religion.

The arguments and reasoning of religions are in front of you, understand it and bring some thing better if you can.

2. What is this? Hindus "allow" us to practice our religion in India? Who told you that Muslims are as part of India as any Hindu? Both Hindus and Muslims are citizens of India and have the same claim on it.

3. Science did its job in what was its sphere, and religions are doing their job in their sphere?

Science and religions are not against each other. Why you compare them with each other?

Religions provide answers for things that are outside purview of science.

3. You are in the same league of people, who have no idea of what they are talking about.

Please define what is a miracle, before I reply to your post.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. Looking things with criticism does not mean that you become unreasonable when it comes to religion.
The arguments and reasoning of religions are in front of you, understand it and bring some thing better if you can.

2. What is this? Hindus "allow" us to practice our religion in India? Who told you that Muslims are as part of India as any Hindu? Both Hindus and Muslims are citizens of India and have the same claim on it.

3. Science did its job in what was its sphere, and religions are doing their job in their sphere?
Science and religions are not against each other. Why you compare them with each other?
Religions provide answers for things that are outside purview of science.

3. You are in the same league of people, who have no idea of what they are talking about.
Please define what is a miracle, before I reply to your post.
1) If you propose any idea that doesn't pass scrutiny, is that being unreasonable? Is religion exempt for some reason?

2) You said it yourself - Hindus allows other to practice their religions. It's a positive and a negative. That you also think that's a negative is revealing of your true nature.

3) And what is religion's sphere now? As we understand more of how the world works by science, religion is retreating into the corners of questions we don't know yet. Disease, Lightning, floods, earthquakes, solar and lunar eclipses, battles won, battles lost seem to be losing direct divine intervention. Your version of god is losing her power over natural events and skulking more and more in the shadows like a thief or a stalker.

3 again) You are the one who claims every shoot is a miracle. A positive claim so the burden of proof is upon you to demonstrate that it is a miracle.

Since you brought it up, how about you tell us what you think a miracle is?

3*) And I'm a bit disappointed with the tone of this: "You are in the same league of people, who have no idea of what they are talking about."

I like the discussion and have to give you credit of preserving this long on a forum board that is going to be naturally hostile to your view.

We obviously disagree on many things but if you are tossing me into the enemy category, then I guess all I have to say now is: Shukran. Peace to you and your family.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic.

That's it-- plain and simple-- you **demand** that your god work **magic** to suit your every whim.

This has been the case since gods were invented by the first extremely lazy "holy" man.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic.
That's it-- plain and simple-- you **demand** that your god work **magic** to suit your every whim.
This has been the case since gods were invented by the first extremely lazy "holy" man.
I am talking about miracles and not magic, you dumbwit.

What is a miracle?

How do you define a miracle?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

I'm not saying that some people are stupid, but....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2013/08/16/science/b...
and...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23729684
.. it hardly needs saying.

(Thanks to AtheismUK)
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Speaking of stupid...
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a miracle?
this is another example of 'stupid'. It seems a pre-requisite for belief in miracles, holy prophets and holy lands, gods or pixies.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Since when has a painful lack of knowledge prevented godbots from speaking out?

The first link is amusing, the second criminal.
EdSed wrote:
I'm not saying that some people are stupid, but....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2013/08/16/science/b...
and...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23729684
.. it hardly needs saying.
(Thanks to AtheismUK)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a miracle?
It is a miracle that you still have a religious faith despite being exposed to rationalist points of view on this forum for so long.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

You don't know what a miracle is? Not surprising as you are a Muslim and very poorly educated. Allow me to educate you again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle

A miracle is an event not ascribable to human power or the laws of nature and consequently attributed to a supernatural, especially divine, agency.[1] Such an event may be attributed to a miracle worker, saint, or religious leader. A miracle is sometimes thought of as a perceptible interruption of the laws of nature.

Now hurry up and show us a miracle happening today that we can observe that is an event that is an interruption of the laws of nature.

So a pretty sunrise or a future child bride to be sold being born is not a miracle as these are natural events.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

GM wrote:
1) If you propose any idea that doesn't pass scrutiny, is that being unreasonable? Is religion exempt for some reason?

2) You said it yourself - Hindus allows other to practice their religions. It's a positive and a negative. That you also think that's a negative is revealing of your true nature.

3) And what is religion's sphere now? As we understand more of how the world works by science, religion is retreating into the corners of questions we don't know yet. Disease, Lightning, floods, earthquakes, solar and lunar eclipses, battles won, battles lost seem to be losing direct divine intervention. Your version of god is losing her power over natural events and skulking more and more in the shadows like a thief or a stalker.

3 again) You are the one who claims every shoot is a miracle. A positive claim so the burden of proof is upon you to demonstrate that it is a miracle.

Since you brought it up, how about you tell us what you think a miracle is?

3*) And I'm a bit disappointed with the tone of this: "You are in the same league of people, who have no idea of what they are talking about."

I like the discussion and have to give you credit of preserving this long on a forum board that is going to be naturally hostile to your view.

We obviously disagree on many things but if you are tossing me into the enemy category, then I guess all I have to say now is: Shukran. Peace to you and your family.
Ans.

01. Religions are also subject to the reasonable criterion, but a different level of arguments are needed for religions than for "lower level materialistic subject like science which only deals with materials".

02. No one "allows" people to practice their religions, it is a "self generated right" of every Indian national. The same way we Muslims "allow" people of different faiths to practice their religions.

03. The sphere of religion is how to deal with your Creator and how to deal with your fellow human beings.

Both these subjects are outside the scope of "Modern science which is only interested in the study of materials and things related to matters".

04. I already gave you so many examples of what a miracle is, why should I define what is a miracle. Since you "laughed" at my examples, it should be your turn to define what you mean by a miracle.

05. I am able to survive in this "hostile environment" because I do not seek any recognition or reward from any one.

I consider it my duty to tell people truth and try to answer their genuine queries and doubts. My reward if any is from my Creator and I hope that He shall pardon my shortcomings and my lapses and grant me salvation in the Hereafter.

06. It does not harm in the least if we disagree on any subject. When humans argue, it is not possible that they agree 100 % on every thing.

What is needed is a positive attitude and listen to other side and show respect to each other.

I see people getting off the handle and start using insulting language and start abusing other side on slightest disagreement.

I also say Thank you and hope Peace and blessings of God be on to you.

Have a nice day.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
You don't know what a miracle is? Not surprising as you are a Muslim and very poorly educated. Allow me to educate you again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle
A miracle is an event not ascribable to human power or the laws of nature and consequently attributed to a supernatural, especially divine, agency.[1] Such an event may be attributed to a miracle worker, saint, or religious leader. A miracle is sometimes thought of as a perceptible interruption of the laws of nature.
Now hurry up and show us a miracle happening today that we can observe that is an event that is an interruption of the laws of nature.
So a pretty sunrise or a future child bride to be sold being born is not a miracle as these are natural events.
<quoted text>
Why you have to go to Wikipedia to define a Miracle?

Miracle is something which is beyond human powers.

So any thing which is happening around us, which we cannot do comes under the general definition of Miracle.

Every thing around us, which we cannot do or unable to do is a miracle.

Now look again with open eyes around you and you will see millions of miracles around you.

But if you close your eyes, you can say that I did not see any thing at all!!

The problem is with you and not with miracles.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
They are **exactly** the same thing, Oh Most Stupid Of Posters.

The same thing:

** Magic-- attempting to twist the universe by your will

** Miracle-- attempting to twist the universe by your will

No difference at all.

Both use **imaginary** things to make them "work".
MUQ wrote:
What is a miracle?
Magic.

See above.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

I note that Saudi Arabia is funding the demise of Egyptian muslim brotherhood.

Any reduction in EU and US funding of Egypt will be picked up by the Saudi state.

Good news or bad news?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
So any thing which is happening around us, which we cannot do comes under the general definition of Miracle.
Now look again with open eyes around you and you will see millions of miracles around you.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I note that Saudi Arabia is funding the demise of Egyptian muslim brotherhood.
Any reduction in EU and US funding of Egypt will be picked up by the Saudi state.
Good news or bad news?
<quoted text>
I do not pitch for any country or any regime. I pitch for Islam and Islamic teachings.

If you have any question on these , feel free to ask me.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Can you or any human sht out a camel turd? No of course not because you and people are not a camel. So by your logic a camel taking a crap is a miracle. Sorry but this is the real world Muq you don't get to just make up your own definitions and be taken seriously.

Miracles are events outside of the laws of nature. Now hurry up and provide these miracles that we can observe or humiliate Islam as usual.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2013

Are you also a catcher for Islam? Now you will answer questions about Islam? That's something new as you usually run and hide from questions. Okay here's one.

Why is it that when we find older and older versions of the bible stories that Muhammad stole for the Quran we never find ones that say as he claimed? He was supposed to be revealing what these originally said and correcting errors by Jews and Christians. Yet the historical evidence shows time and time again he was very wrong. Until those older versions show up that say as he claimed can't we rightfully say he just made it up?

And yes I am supposing that Muhammad actually existed and wasn't just made up for the sake of the Quran fiction.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not pitch for any country or any regime. I pitch for Islam and Islamic teachings.
If you have any question on these , feel free to ask me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Aura Mytha 224,116
Our world came from nothing? 23 min Richardfs 202
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 2 hr DonPanic 1,286
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 4 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 4 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 18 hr religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... Thu Patrick 16
•••
•••