Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18102 Aug 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
..There have been "No Atheist" societies or civilizations in past known human history.
People have had different concepts of God, but one one thing they all agreed, that God created every thing in this universe.
Incorrect. Buddhism is the most popular religion in Asia, and has no concept of a personal God.

As you point out different cultures in the past have different religions and different gods. This is solid proof there is no God. Cause if there was a personal God, he would be inspiring people to believe the >same< thing. As all religions are contradictory, and supposed revelations inconsistent and highly contradictory, this proves there is no personal God.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18103 Aug 7, 2013
^Muq visiting the family in India? Notice those nice Hindu peeps are polytheists or secular. More proof that religions are man made.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#18104 Aug 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
People have had different concepts of God, but one one thing they all agreed, that God created every thing in this universe.
All? I don't think so.

I bet there have always been atheists, including amongst church leaders. Religion is just superstition and people recognise when there's no point in arguing with the stupid and incorrigible.'If you can't beat them, join them' is probably the motto where a superstition dominates a society. Plenty of people probably recognised that witchcraft and child sacrifice were wicked superstitions but it takes time to eliminate such dogma and tradition from society. The dogmatic and ignorant take time to learn, as your posts demonstrate.

In this day and age, belief that a god sent a prophet to Earth to 'show us the way' is plain stupid.

There was little enough excuse for such 'beliefs' much earlier. Interestingly, I came across a comment by a 17th century European churchman once who said that translating the Bible from Latin into the language of common people will be the beginning of the end of religious faith. Very prophetic, but he couldn't have known it was going to take the Internet or how many hundreds of years to happen. Humanity is finally getting there. I think some people will never learn but they will die out and their superstitions and prejudices along with them.

Religion = superstition
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18105 Aug 7, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>All? I don't think so.
I bet there have always been atheists, including amongst church leaders. Religion is just superstition and people recognise when there's no point in arguing with the stupid and incorrigible.'If you can't beat them, join them' is probably the motto where a superstition dominates a society. Plenty of people probably recognised that witchcraft and child sacrifice were wicked superstitions but it takes time to eliminate such dogma and tradition from society. The dogmatic and ignorant take time to learn, as your posts demonstrate.
In this day and age, belief that a god sent a prophet to Earth to 'show us the way' is plain stupid.
There was little enough excuse for such 'beliefs' much earlier. Interestingly, I came across a comment by a 17th century European churchman once who said that translating the Bible from Latin into the language of common people will be the beginning of the end of religious faith. Very prophetic, but he couldn't have known it was going to take the Internet or how many hundreds of years to happen. Humanity is finally getting there. I think some people will never learn but they will die out and their superstitions and prejudices along with them.
Religion = superstition
Nicely summed up. And I agree that the invention of the printing press and translating the Bible into the vernacular, such as the German Luther Bible (1522), was the beginning of the end of faith.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18106 Aug 7, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely summed up. And I agree that the invention of the printing press and translating the Bible into the vernacular, such as the German Luther Bible (1522), was the beginning of the end of faith.
If the majority of believers would actually read the book they claim to adhere to, I think that end would have come long ago.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18107 Aug 7, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>If the majority of believers would actually read the book they claim to adhere to, I think that end would have come long ago.
Yes, read the book, and to think critically, which I think is a lot harder skill to master.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#18108 Aug 7, 2013
Well, those muslim child brides won't rape themselves.
spudgun wrote:
^Muq visiting the family in India? Notice those nice Hindu peeps are polytheists or secular. More proof that religions are man made.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18110 Aug 7, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
In a sense, Pope Francis made clear his world views when he wore practical black shoes and a simple black wristwatch to mass – a decidedly more humble look than his predecessor..
This "humble" pope stuff is a bit tiresome. If he >really< cares about folk, he can start by apologising for the church abuse, addressing the route causes for the abuse, and then give away the many billions stashed in vatican banks. Do you agree?
spider

Cambridge, UK

#18111 Aug 7, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
This "humble" pope stuff is a bit tiresome. If he >really< cares about folk, he can start by apologising for the church abuse, addressing the route causes for the abuse, and then give away the many billions stashed in vatican banks. Do you agree?
I agree,,, and it isn't just the vatican that should hand back cash, land and works of art.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18114 Aug 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh I have said for years churches need to be off the no tax free ride!
<quoted text>
Agreed.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18115 Aug 7, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Godbot George Zimmerman said that it was God's will that he stalk and kill an unarmed kid.
Indeed... belief can let you try to "justify" pretty much anything.

I'm certain that the child-raping cat'lick priests thought to themselves that it was "god's will".

Certainly the Nazi-pope thought hiding it was "god's will" to "protect the sanctity of the mother church" (a quote of him)
Thinking

Royston, UK

#18117 Aug 7, 2013
Dahmer, disgusting enough to be a born again christian, thinking some bastard on a cloud will forgive all atrocities.

Another case where christianity corrodes society.
LCN Llin wrote:
Jeffrey Dahmer, atheist and Gourmet Culinary expert.
spider

March, UK

#18118 Aug 8, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Napoleon I did marvelous work in the Art Business.
Napolean didn't represent a god, nor did he deliver any divine messages from any gods,,, no code of practice from gods,, he didn't exist as a role model for any gods,,,, so what's your point ?
spider

March, UK

#18119 Aug 8, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
Jeffrey Dahmer, atheist and Gourmet Culinary expert.
See post, 18118
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18120 Aug 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed... belief can let you try to "justify" pretty much anything.
I'm certain that the child-raping cat'lick priests thought to themselves that it was "god's will".
Certainly the Nazi-pope thought hiding it was "god's will" to "protect the sanctity of the mother church" (a quote of him)
Faith far from being a virtue, is a dangerous thing, as proven throughout history.
MUQ

Lucknow, India

#18121 Aug 8, 2013
Qualities of a True Prophet of God:

J. Ninth Quality: Prophets do not Contradict or Reject each other:

All prophets receive information from the same source, i.e. God, so their teachings do not contradict each other.

A True prophet of God would not reject or say bad words about prophets which preceded him, because they form a sort of brotherhood in front of their God.

Even when some parts of code of law of an earlier prophet is abrogated; it is done without any criticism of that prophet. Because both the original code and revised code come from the same God, the earlier law needed to be revised because of changed circumstances; there is no blame on earlier prophet.

J1: Rejection of Any Prophet of God is Serious Crime in the eyes of God:

Prophets are sent by God with express purpose to provide guidance, and they have Approval and Might of God at their back, any one willfully rejecting a True Prophet of God takes a very serious risk.

The risk becomes more serious when the Prophet whose mission is active and in-force is rejected by any one. This is like a direct act of treason in the eyes of God.

Because if some one rejects a Prophet of God, it means that he or she has rejected the One who sent that prophet.

J2: Rejection of One Prophet is as if one has rejected all Prophets:

All Prophets form a common brotherhood; rejection of one is treated as rejection of all.

Those who think that they are being “extra loyal” to their prophet by spending all their efforts and energies in rejecting another Prophet of God, might get a rude shock in the hereafter, when they see both prophets sitting side by side on thrones of honor, and BOTH looking at him with angry faces!!

So beware be these “Die Hard” supporters of their own Prophets; who do not give a damn how insulting and how abusive are they to other True Prophets of God. They are certainly not on the side of their own Prophets!!

J3: Safe course if in doubt about any Prophet of God:

If someone has not researched and satisfied himself or herself that so and so is a True Prophet of God or not, the safest course is to hold their tongue and do not start criticising them and start abusing them or making fun of them.

Their crime would be lessened if they hold their tongue and continue their research. They would indeed be in a very awkward situation, if they became enemies of any True Prophet of God, without completing their research, and die in the stage of enmity.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18122 Aug 8, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Qualities of a True Prophet of God:
Ye, more spam from your book. You have been unable to prove God exists or that any of your bronze age "prophets" have special magical powers.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#18125 Aug 8, 2013
Lincoln in another "oh look, stuff happened in the past" shocker.
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Art in Europe was looted in many cases!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18126 Aug 8, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Dahmer, disgusting enough to be a born again christian, thinking some bastard on a cloud will forgive all atrocities.
Another case where christianity corrodes society.
<quoted text>
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18127 Aug 8, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith far from being a virtue, is a dangerous thing, as proven throughout history.
Indeed it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Into The Night 94,222
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 12 hr Eagle 12 - 139
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism Mon Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971