Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23770 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spider

Saint Ives, UK

#18081 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not according to his preacher.
<quoted text>
Yes, well I don't know his preacher,,,I do however know of preachers that have renounced their faith for one reason or another.

I suppose you could say they have seen the light.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18082 Aug 6, 2013
TamilKovil wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me - I am a non believer in God as you imagine him. Thats the Abrahamic God of the Bible. White dude, white hair, beard... that stuff.
But I have studied many Gods. Whether the multiple Gods of greek mythology, their Roman counterparts. The numerous Gods of Hinduism. The demi Gods that spawned whole races..... I read as much as i can. Out of interest, not belief.
I find it frascinating how legends turn to myths and how Gods are formed.
I do not believe - but I believe in the right to believe
I do agree people should have the right to believe in little pink elephants, if that's what it takes for them to get out of bed each day.

The problem we have with **organized** religion in the US today?

Is one of religious-based **bigotry**.

Look at Texas, where the religious bigots are dismantling women's right to quality health care.

Or in one of the other southern states (I forget-- one of the Carolinas?), where religious bigotry is dismantling the poorer US Citizens right to vote.

And on the national level? The religious bigots opposition to marriage equality-- because their ugly book compels them to.

And again in Texas, it looks like the **ignorant** who are motivated by religion, are again attempting to put the utterly stupid **creationism** in science textbooks again...

...!!!

Those things I oppose. And with vigor.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18083 Aug 6, 2013
spudgun wrote:
I have noticed our islamist friend in Saudi has not been on the forum for the past few days. It just so happens that the US has closed 19 of its embassies across the middle east, also over the past few days. A coincidence?:)
Likely he was piggy-backing off their free WiFi?

Or even visiting the embassy itself?

Freedom of Speech: it's not just for Americans anymore.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18084 Aug 6, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I think all of us have researched religions here. The fact that "revelations" are so inconsistent is proof of Atheism. And thinking about it rationally, no deities exist, as you would expect an interested super-being to dish out the same message to everyone. But then if a God dispensed directly to people, their would be no need for priests or televangelists, and no money for them to make!
Indeed: follow the money.

The very **first** caveman "preacher" was likely one of the **laziest** and **cowardly** humans to have been born at that point.

Lazy, true-- but also clever: he fabricates imaginary beings to "explain" those noises in the Outer Darkness beyond the campfires.

And he manages to convince the others, that **he** is **special** and too valuable to risk on an actual.... hunt.

So they bring him food-- and he sits around doing nothing but making up stories to "explain" the world...

... instead of actually going out and **finding out**.

... meh.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18085 Aug 6, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no issue with those with a private faith either. Its just the crazy fundies that are deserving of contempt imho.
Yep.

And those late-night TV preachers-- those people are effing NUTZ.

And really ought to be locked away before they hurt anyone else...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#18086 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit defensive?
Science is silent on atheism, Dawkins in not.
LOL
Science only comments on that which is ... atheism isn't.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#18087 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Science cannot disprove God any more than it can prove it.
But at least Science will admit to that"
You admit this, much to your credit, others do not and seem defensive?
Have Great Day
Because there is nothing there, if it was science would have comment. Science is like that, the nonexistent stuff just doesn't make the cut. There is too much real stuff to know about.
MUQ

Delhi, India

#18088 Aug 6, 2013
TamilKovil wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob - you're preaching to choir (no pun intended)
I completely agree, I would go further and not even give credence to the subject of God/Gods by discussing it.
But ultimately, Gods have been present in human culture longer than the oldest known civilisation. Civilisations that we consider advanced or somehow mystical like the druids, mayans even the greeks.
I know that religion is just a form of control, a way to make the masses monitor their own behaviour. Like a giant security camera in the sky. If we're all being watched 24/7, we're more likely to behave. Therefore we have an all knowing, all seeing omnipotent God - its actually Genius.
But that doesn't mean i claim to have all the answers. I simply do not know.
I choose not to be believe in a god or an afterlife.
But billions before me chose some form of faith.
Who am I to question 10,000 years of human spiritual evolution.
While we can say with some confidence that the God of Abrahamic faiths probably doesn't exist in the way he is biblically portrayed.
That doesn't mean that Gods don't exist - just because i don't believe in them
You have spoken truth my dear brother, even when you do not know what you wrote.

The concept of God is as old as the presence of human civilization on this planet.

There have been "No Atheist" societies or civilizations in past known human history.

People have had different concepts of God, but one one thing they all agreed, that God created every thing in this universe.

It was left to the "idiots in the modern scientific age" to claim that God does not exist and every thing in the universe "Just came by itself".

These so called Super Brains of our time have less imaginations and intuition than villagers that lived say 5000 years ago in India or Egypt or China!!

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#18089 Aug 6, 2013
Pretty much all Native American societies had no gods. Some had vague spirits they sing about but for the most part they had no god and no religion as we would accept. Their spirits for the most part were poetic and artistic in nature vs if you don't call upon this spirit you are an infidel.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>You have spoken truth my dear brother, even when you do not know what you wrote.

The concept of God is as old as the presence of human civilization on this planet.

There have been "No Atheist" societies or civilizations in past known human history.

People have had different concepts of God, but one one thing they all agreed, that God created every thing in this universe.

It was left to the "idiots in the modern scientific age" to claim that God does not exist and every thing in the universe "Just came by itself".

These so called Super Brains of our time have less imaginations and intuition than villagers that lived say 5000 years ago in India or Egypt or China!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18090 Aug 6, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You have spoken truth my dear brother, even when you do not know what you wrote.
So? Fiction is still fiction--even if it's 10 million year old fiction.
MUQ wrote:
You are **omniscient** now?

Wow... that must be amazing....!
MUQ wrote:
Nope. That is not even a LITTLE bit true-- many primitive cultures postulated that gods were created themselves by the very earth-- which they believe always existed....

.... you really are an under-educated moron.
MUQ wrote:
Argument from popularity again-- reality doesn't care if you believe in it or not.

Until recently? Everyone just "knew" the earth was the center of everything--

-- it's not.

Reality again. In the past? People were **ignorant** of reality.

So they invented gods to try to compensate for that...

.... it didn't work.
MUQ wrote:
Ignorance is still wrong, even if it's 5000 year old ignorance.

Besides-- China's civilization is much-much older than **that**. 15,000 or 20,000 at **least**...

Blowing away your ugly religion...
LCN Llin

United States

#18091 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Pretty much all Native American societies had no gods. Some had vague spirits they sing about but for the most part they had no god and no religion as we would accept. Their spirits for the most part were poetic and artistic in nature vs if you don't call upon this spirit you are an infidel.
<quoted text>
Pretty much all Native American societies had no gods.
Odd generalization
LCN Llin

United States

#18092 Aug 6, 2013
SEATTLE (The Borowitz Report)—Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com , told reporters today that his reported purchase of the Washington Post was a “gigantic mix-up,” explaining that he had clicked on the newspaper by mistake.

“I guess I was just kind of browsing through their website and not paying close attention to what I was doing,” he said.“No way did I intend to buy anything.”

Mr. Bezos said he had been oblivious to his online shopping error until earlier today, when he saw an unusual charge for two hundred and fifty million dollars on his American Express statement.

After investigating with the credit-card company, he was informed that he had been charged for the purchase price of the entire Washington Post, which, he said, was “pure craziness.”

“No way in hell would I buy the Washington Post,” he said.“I don’t even read the Washington Post.”

Mr. Bezos said he had been on the phone with the Post’s customer service for the better part of the day trying to unwind his mistaken purchase, but so far “they’ve really been giving me the runaround.”

According to Mr. Bezos,“I keep telling them, I don’t know how it got in my cart. I don’t want it. It’s like they’re making it impossible to return it.”
LCN Llin

United States

#18093 Aug 6, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
And those late-night TV preachers-- those people are effing NUTZ.
And really ought to be locked away before they hurt anyone else...
...just turn off the TV?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#18094 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Anyone can be a prophet. Make up some horsesht and tell it to enough people. Eventually you will have people following you and buying it.
You may have to work hard and only get one in 500 but eventually some will buy it and spread your message.
<quoted text>
When the cults are in their early stages, the followers give you everything they have and also their labor. Christianity is not exempt but remarkably records it in the Bible in Acts (end of chapter 4 with a lesson of what happens if you don't give everything in chapter 5)

And the most awesome thing is the church wouldn't have to pay any taxes on their extortion income in the US. Well, awesome from the con artist's perspective...

It's about time to levy the "fair tax" on church income and property. No exemptions to favor any one church.

Nehwon

#18095 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much all Native American societies had no gods.
Odd generalization
Do you have something to back that claim?

That would be new to me and I'd like to learn something today.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#18096 Aug 6, 2013
Oh I have said for years churches need to be off the no tax free ride!
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>When the cults are in their early stages, the followers give you everything they have and also their labor. Christianity is not exempt but remarkably records it in the Bible in Acts (end of chapter 4 with a lesson of what happens if you don't give everything in chapter 5)

And the most awesome thing is the church wouldn't have to pay any taxes on their extortion income in the US. Well, awesome from the con artist's perspective...

It's about time to levy the "fair tax" on church income and property. No exemptions to favor any one church.

Nehwon

#18097 Aug 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh I have said for years churches need to be off the no tax free ride!
<quoted text>
The only downside is that they get to lobby Congress like a corporation (that they are.) and preach politics from the pulpit.

But that already happens anyway so we might as well let them do it in the open without them trying to be slick.

It would be interesting to see when Fox News starts labeling selected parishes as a bunch of liberals.

Now that I think of it, do the Southern Baptists still think the Mormons are heretical Satan worshipers since Romney's run?

If not, Romney's bid at the presidency did wonders for the Mormon Church. Almost worth the weight in gold(en) plates...

LCN Llin

United States

#18099 Aug 7, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have something to back that claim?
That would be new to me and I'd like to learn something today.
Was waiting to see a site backing up all of North America views of religion over a period of thousands of years.

Seemed an interesting generalization?
LCN Llin

United States

#18100 Aug 7, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have some documentation? Interesting?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#18101 Aug 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree people should have the right to believe in little pink elephants, if that's what it takes for them to get out of bed each day.
The problem we have with **organized** religion in the US today?
Is one of religious-based **bigotry**.
Look at Texas, where the religious bigots are dismantling women's right to quality health care.
Or in one of the other southern states (I forget-- one of the Carolinas?), where religious bigotry is dismantling the poorer US Citizens right to vote.
And on the national level? The religious bigots opposition to marriage equality-- because their ugly book compels them to.
And again in Texas, it looks like the **ignorant** who are motivated by religion, are again attempting to put the utterly stupid **creationism** in science textbooks again...
...!!!
Those things I oppose. And with vigor.
Godbot George Zimmerman said that it was God's will that he stalk and kill an unarmed kid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 254,939
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Frank Merton 9,605
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr scientia potentia... 29,520
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr scientia potentia... 11,588
Religion Down Suicide Up 6 hr Patrick 87
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 7 hr Richard 50,963
Atheism is not a belief 7 hr Patrick 188
More from around the web