Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23584 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18049 Aug 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your stance, here.
Although I lament the fact that parents teach their children stupid and false religious woo in the privacy of their own homes?
I think that personal liberty is **more** important than policing every family everywhere.
I also think that freedom of religion is **more** important than policing every single person.
So as a result of that? We permit stupid people to foist their stupid onto the next generation of innocents.
To avoid a **greater** evil (no personal liberty, no religious freedom) we permit a lessor one (allowing the generational passing-on of stupidity).
Agreed. Luckily, with the ease of access to information available, I think even home indoctrination will lose it's power over the long haul.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18050 Aug 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. Luckily, with the ease of access to information available, I think even home indoctrination will lose it's power over the long haul.
Yes-- the "monster" that is the Internet?

Has unleashed a powerful tool on the world: information.

And it's working-- more and more, among civilizations with internet access?

Faith in religion is on a decline.

Only among the impoverished or oppressed regions of the world, is religion on the rise.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#18051 Aug 5, 2013
I don't know man there is a documentary where a guy in 2012 makes himself a prophet for educational reasons in the documentary and wow! Three months in and he has serious fervent followers!

Yes he comes clean with all of them of course. Watch it man it is an eye opener on how even in today's day and age it's relatively simple to do. Now imagine how much easier it would be thousands of years ago before the Information Age when many were illiterate!
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure thats as easy anymore. As Muslims believe Muhammed was the last prophet, so wil not accept people who now claim to be prophets. And in secular socities, people who claim to hear the voice of God in their heads, are schizophrenics requiring medical treatment.

Louisville, KY

#18052 Aug 5, 2013
Not buying it and no we will not be quiet. There is too much at stake as you would know of you were truly a non believer anti theist! Anti theists make atheists look like Mary Poppins and Burt in comparison.

I merely voicing my opinion on the atheism forum which is the proper place. If the theists don't like it they don't have to come here right?

I always get a kick out of when a so called non believer tells other non believers to just be quiet and let the theists run roughshod!

Lol! Nice try! Better luck next time!
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>You've addressed me as a believer. Far from it. I am a non believing anti-Theist. I don't believe in God or established religious institutions.

I am more closely alligned to Buddhism as there is no creator God and 'faith' is based on individuality.

But I think that atheists (including me) need to stop bullying believers in to accepting there is no God. I know its frutrating for us to hear people spouting non-sense without proof.

But if atheists become bullies, then we are no different to religious nuts and fundamentalists.

We have our opinion and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than theist religions. Thats all we need to know

Louisville, KY

#18053 Aug 5, 2013
Well said.
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>As long a the religious try to have their myths taught as science in public school systems and their biblical views written into laws that govern everyone, how can we not speak out against them? I don't care if they want to worship belly-button lint... until they try to teach it as fact to unsuspecting school children... or try to force people by law to behave a certain way because it is written in the lint of the great belly-button!

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#18054 Aug 5, 2013
<quoted text>
You also likely think the Republicans give a ratshit about...
.... you.
LOL!
I don't give a flying duck about america bro. lol tho

Location hidden

#18055 Aug 5, 2013
republicrats democrans... blahdy blahdy blah....
oh shit look theresan ethnic minority under attack lol. even your ow people are laughing at you.

Location hidden

#18056 Aug 5, 2013
People like you is the reason were on the brink of ww3. Idiots

Location hidden

#18057 Aug 5, 2013
right/wrong does not matter any more.I fear for my little neices.

Location hidden

#18058 Aug 5, 2013
I can protect my neices from savile n co....ya hurrrd?

Location hidden

#18059 Aug 5, 2013
I'm no daddy but I dont like seeing my neices watching disney, satanism in a handbag.

Location hidden

#18060 Aug 5, 2013
freemasons beleive in something...ShayTan
who cares

Sydney, Australia

#18061 Aug 5, 2013
We just treat the religious as insane. We just don't tell anyone. I say we because I know several people who do the same who are in business. Its against the law to discriminate on religion in employment therefore its easier to ask covertly as a casual thing. It works better if you tell them you are also religious. In the case if cv and applications you can also tell by names. If you are not sure you can always give em an interview. This way you can weed out these people from you work place like we have. We do not hire Muslims at all as we view them as total nuts. Hindus in the middle and Christians last. We find Christian's can adapt best as they don't wear any kind if stupid clothing which identifies their insanity and they don't seem very religious in any case. We also do not hire fat people. This all means we also have no special considerations at parties and alcohol and food and can host company sport functions for bonding as we have no fatties.

Louisville, KY

#18062 Aug 5, 2013
Smh
cellardweller19 wrote:
I'm no daddy but I dont like seeing my neices watching disney, satanism in a handbag.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18063 Aug 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Smh
<quoted text>
Looks like that one had a melt-down... or perhaps got into some bad drugs?

Dunno... irrational, for sure.

Louisville, KY

#18064 Aug 5, 2013
Epic epic meltdown. It must be sad to live like that man.
<quoted text>Looks like that one had a melt-down... or perhaps got into some bad drugs?

Dunno... irrational, for sure.
TamilKovil

South Ockendon, UK

#18065 Aug 6, 2013
<quoted text>
We do not know... what?
The bible's god isn't real-- provably so.
Using the bible itself as a framework? It is pretty easy to show that such a being contradicts itself. And cannot exist.
If there **were** a god who really did care?
Why did a **caring** deity suffer such as the evil bible to even exist, then?
More evil done in the name of the bible than any other single cause....
... and a **caring** deity should not have allowed that to happen.
Thus?
There are no gods who **care**
Bob - you're preaching to choir (no pun intended)

I completely agree, I would go further and not even give credence to the subject of God/Gods by discussing it.

But ultimately, Gods have been present in human culture longer than the oldest known civilisation. Civilisations that we consider advanced or somehow mystical like the druids, mayans even the greeks.

I know that religion is just a form of control, a way to make the masses monitor their own behaviour. Like a giant security camera in the sky. If we're all being watched 24/7, we're more likely to behave. Therefore we have an all knowing, all seeing omnipotent God - its actually Genius.

But that doesn't mean i claim to have all the answers. I simply do not know.

I choose not to be believe in a god or an afterlife.

But billions before me chose some form of faith.

Who am I to question 10,000 years of human spiritual evolution.

While we can say with some confidence that the God of Abrahamic faiths probably doesn't exist in the way he is biblically portrayed.

That doesn't mean that Gods don't exist - just because i don't believe in them
TamilKovil

South Ockendon, UK

#18066 Aug 6, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not buying it and no we will not be quiet. There is too much at stake as you would know of you were truly a non believer anti theist! Anti theists make atheists look like Mary Poppins and Burt in comparison.
I merely voicing my opinion on the atheism forum which is the proper place. If the theists don't like it they don't have to come here right?
I always get a kick out of when a so called non believer tells other non believers to just be quiet and let the theists run roughshod!
Lol! Nice try! Better luck next time!
<quoted text>
Believe me - I am a non believer in God as you imagine him. Thats the Abrahamic God of the Bible. White dude, white hair, beard... that stuff.

But I have studied many Gods. Whether the multiple Gods of greek mythology, their Roman counterparts. The numerous Gods of Hinduism. The demi Gods that spawned whole races..... I read as much as i can. Out of interest, not belief.

I find it frascinating how legends turn to myths and how Gods are formed.

I do not believe - but I believe in the right to believe
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18067 Aug 6, 2013
I have noticed our islamist friend in Saudi has not been on the forum for the past few days. It just so happens that the US has closed 19 of its embassies across the middle east, also over the past few days. A coincidence?:)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18068 Aug 6, 2013
TamilKovil wrote:
<quoted text>
..But I have studied many Gods. Whether the multiple Gods of greek mythology, their Roman counterparts. The numerous Gods of Hinduism. The demi Gods that spawned whole races..... I read as much as i can. Out of interest, not belief..
I think all of us have researched religions here. The fact that "revelations" are so inconsistent is proof of Atheism. And thinking about it rationally, no deities exist, as you would expect an interested super-being to dish out the same message to everyone. But then if a God dispensed directly to people, their would be no need for priests or televangelists, and no money for them to make!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min thetruth 10,841
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Gary Coaldigger 20,617
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min Knowledge- 244,929
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineW 14,660
John 3:16 4 hr Shizle 77
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 9 hr NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 13 hr thetruth 42
More from around the web