Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

LCN Llin

United States

#18040 Aug 5, 2013
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is silent on atheism for one reason. Because it does not claim to have all the answers. Science understands that, and where it does not have an answer, it will endeavour to find one that stands up to scrutiny.
Religion on the other hand will attribute all open questions to Gods will, and thats it. No need for evidence or critical study. God wills it that way and so it is Gods will.
Science cannot disprove God any more than it can prove it.
But at least Science will admit to that
Believers do not.
"Science cannot disprove God any more than it can prove it.

But at least Science will admit to that"

You admit this, much to your credit, others do not and seem defensive?
Have Great Day
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18041 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
..others do not and seem defensive?
Yes, of course science has nothing to do with proving or disproving invisible and silent God or gods. However scientific discoveries have disproved the Genesis account of creation. That in effect disproves the conception of God as understood by the freed slaves and goat herders of the Levant. A deist concept of an impersonal God relocated outside of nature, is not provable/disprovable and is basically meaningless.
TamilKovil

UK

#18042 Aug 5, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, of course science has nothing to do with proving or disproving invisible and silent God or gods. However scientific discoveries have disproved the Genesis account of creation. That in effect disproves the conception of God as understood by the freed slaves and goat herders of the Levant. A deist concept of an impersonal God relocated outside of nature, is not provable/disprovable and is basically meaningless.
it is meaningless when viewed from an abrahamic religious point of view.

But put what you said into a sci-fi context and what you have is an extra-terrestrial being spawning mankind.

That is equally un-provable but puts a whole new angle on genesis.

I bet there are a million Atheists that do believe in the equally unprovable ET theory

WE SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18043 Aug 5, 2013
cellardweller19 wrote:
who is your god? a frog?
I have no god.

Gods are for the weak, the feeble minded-- who wish for a SIMPLE "answer" to Life, the Universe and Everything.

... goddidit.

I'd much rather learn what REALLY happens in the universe.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18044 Aug 5, 2013
TamilKovil wrote:
<quoted text>.. into a sci-fi context and what you have is an extra-terrestrial being spawning mankind.
That is equally un-provable but puts a whole new angle on genesis...
Yes, the ET theory is an interesting one. But I think, without good evidence, could be seen as delusional. A number of researchers seem to put the gods of mythology in spacesuits and calling them ETs.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18045 Aug 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>As long a the religious try to have their myths taught as science in public school systems and their biblical views written into laws that govern everyone, how can we not speak out against them? I don't care if they want to worship belly-button lint... until they try to teach it as fact to unsuspecting school children... or try to force people by law to behave a certain way because it is written in the lint of the great belly-button!
I agree with your stance, here.

Although I lament the fact that parents teach their children stupid and false religious woo in the privacy of their own homes?

I think that personal liberty is **more** important than policing every family everywhere.

I also think that freedom of religion is **more** important than policing every single person.

So as a result of that? We permit stupid people to foist their stupid onto the next generation of innocents.

To avoid a **greater** evil (no personal liberty, no religious freedom) we permit a lessor one (allowing the generational passing-on of stupidity).

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18046 Aug 5, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Theists bullying Atheists into accepting a God. A number of Christians regularly come on here denouncing Atheism as evil, personally attacking atheists and condemning them to eternal torture in hell. This goes way and beyond any criticism of Thiests, which tends to centre of criticism of their particular book, and not on them personally.
Exactly!

Threatening people with infinite torture is ABUSE.

Even if the threats are virtual or nebulous?

It's still abusive in the extreme.

It demonstrates a culture of hate.

It is also demonstrative of a culture where people are thought of as worth less than pond-scum.

For **only** in a people-are-worthless culture could anyone justify infinite torture due to NOT KNOWING!

For that IS what they believe! Anyone who does not "know" the magical formula?

Gets torture....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18047 Aug 5, 2013
TamilKovil wrote:
<quoted text>
it is meaningless when viewed from an abrahamic religious point of view.
But put what you said into a sci-fi context and what you have is an extra-terrestrial being spawning mankind.
That is equally un-provable but puts a whole new angle on genesis.
I bet there are a million Atheists that do believe in the equally unprovable ET theory
WE SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW
We do not know... what?

The bible's god isn't real-- provably so.

Using the bible itself as a framework? It is pretty easy to show that such a being contradicts itself. And cannot exist.

If there **were** a god who really did care?

Why did a **caring** deity suffer such as the evil bible to even exist, then?

More evil done in the name of the bible than any other single cause....

... and a **caring** deity should not have allowed that to happen.

Thus?

There are no gods who **care**

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18048 Aug 5, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the ET theory is an interesting one. But I think, without good evidence, could be seen as delusional. A number of researchers seem to put the gods of mythology in spacesuits and calling them ETs.
The only way the ET hypothesis could work, is if the universe isn't what we think it is, presently.

This is not to say we know it all-- hardly.

But, currently, there just isn't a way for an ET to get **to** earth within a sufficiently short time-period to be useful.

Even if the ET's in question are long-lived? The time-frame for **Human** civilization is too short.

So the ET conjecture is, at present, quite weak.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18049 Aug 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your stance, here.
Although I lament the fact that parents teach their children stupid and false religious woo in the privacy of their own homes?
I think that personal liberty is **more** important than policing every family everywhere.
I also think that freedom of religion is **more** important than policing every single person.
So as a result of that? We permit stupid people to foist their stupid onto the next generation of innocents.
To avoid a **greater** evil (no personal liberty, no religious freedom) we permit a lessor one (allowing the generational passing-on of stupidity).
Agreed. Luckily, with the ease of access to information available, I think even home indoctrination will lose it's power over the long haul.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#18050 Aug 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. Luckily, with the ease of access to information available, I think even home indoctrination will lose it's power over the long haul.
Yes-- the "monster" that is the Internet?

Has unleashed a powerful tool on the world: information.

And it's working-- more and more, among civilizations with internet access?

Faith in religion is on a decline.

Only among the impoverished or oppressed regions of the world, is religion on the rise.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#18051 Aug 5, 2013
I don't know man there is a documentary where a guy in 2012 makes himself a prophet for educational reasons in the documentary and wow! Three months in and he has serious fervent followers!

Yes he comes clean with all of them of course. Watch it man it is an eye opener on how even in today's day and age it's relatively simple to do. Now imagine how much easier it would be thousands of years ago before the Information Age when many were illiterate!
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure thats as easy anymore. As Muslims believe Muhammed was the last prophet, so wil not accept people who now claim to be prophets. And in secular socities, people who claim to hear the voice of God in their heads, are schizophrenics requiring medical treatment.

Henderson, KY

#18052 Aug 5, 2013
Not buying it and no we will not be quiet. There is too much at stake as you would know of you were truly a non believer anti theist! Anti theists make atheists look like Mary Poppins and Burt in comparison.

I merely voicing my opinion on the atheism forum which is the proper place. If the theists don't like it they don't have to come here right?

I always get a kick out of when a so called non believer tells other non believers to just be quiet and let the theists run roughshod!

Lol! Nice try! Better luck next time!
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>You've addressed me as a believer. Far from it. I am a non believing anti-Theist. I don't believe in God or established religious institutions.

I am more closely alligned to Buddhism as there is no creator God and 'faith' is based on individuality.

But I think that atheists (including me) need to stop bullying believers in to accepting there is no God. I know its frutrating for us to hear people spouting non-sense without proof.

But if atheists become bullies, then we are no different to religious nuts and fundamentalists.

We have our opinion and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than theist religions. Thats all we need to know

Henderson, KY

#18053 Aug 5, 2013
Well said.
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>As long a the religious try to have their myths taught as science in public school systems and their biblical views written into laws that govern everyone, how can we not speak out against them? I don't care if they want to worship belly-button lint... until they try to teach it as fact to unsuspecting school children... or try to force people by law to behave a certain way because it is written in the lint of the great belly-button!

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#18054 Aug 5, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You also likely think the Republicans give a ratshit about...
.... you.
LOL!
I don't give a flying duck about america bro. lol tho

Location hidden

#18055 Aug 5, 2013
republicrats democrans... blahdy blahdy blah....
oh shit look theresan ethnic minority under attack lol. even your ow people are laughing at you.

Location hidden

#18056 Aug 5, 2013
People like you is the reason were on the brink of ww3. Idiots

Location hidden

#18057 Aug 5, 2013
right/wrong does not matter any more.I fear for my little neices.

Location hidden

#18058 Aug 5, 2013
I can protect my neices from savile n co....ya hurrrd?

Location hidden

#18059 Aug 5, 2013
I'm no daddy but I dont like seeing my neices watching disney, satanism in a handbag.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Critical Eye 93,314
News American Atheists terminates its president over... 11 hr Reality Speaks 18
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... Apr 17 Graftedin1 75
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048