Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

MUQ

Allahabad, India

#18020 Aug 4, 2013
GM wrote:
"it is humans who choose what to follow…teachings of God or whisperings of Satan."

You raise an interesting question here: Are prophets teachers of an extraordinary kind?

The reason I ask is because an awesome teacher not only is well versed in their subject matter and adjust their teaching style to their students but one who also learns from the their students questions.

It seems to me that the Godly prophets weren't very good teachers.

But I guess you'll fall back on the "you just don't understand" excuse to put the blame anywhere else other than your "prophet."
Ans.

Prophets of God were “extraordinary teachers” by any standard of that word.

They had almost “magnetic effect” on their close followers, their mind and their bodies were totally transformed when they became disciples of these prophets.

And it was thru these disciples that the message of prophets lived thru generations.

Prophets were like the master Lamp, from whom many smaller lamps got their light and then it spread into millions and billions of small lamps.

It is very unfair to call prophets as “poor teachers”.

It is very rarely that you will find any True Disciple of any prophet, going and leading people on wrong path.

But those who did not see prophets and did not learn any thing from them directly, they are different, they could go wrong and lead people into wrong. The world is full of such “bad pupils”.

Allah Knows best

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#18021 Aug 4, 2013
ok then, im just an a-hole whose opinion is horrid. alright...at least say the "our father" before bed ;).

Location hidden

#18022 Aug 4, 2013
I know that god and the devil evists, so im out the q..peace

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#18023 Aug 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The sheer level of hypocrisy is astounding and one hopes that they will prevail over their oppression.
<quoted text>
Where religion is concerned, the "Godly" don't need to follow the rules. Jesus certainly broke the rules.

If you are "blessed" by God with wealth or power, you are a candidate for prophethood and don't need to follow the holy books. Many think they are called, only a few succeed enough to be remembered 1000 years later and only a handful made it be worshiped.

And odd thought came to mind just now: there's an analogy to pro sports there.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#18024 Aug 4, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Prophets of God were “extraordinary teachers” by any standard of that word.
They had almost “magnetic effect” on their close followers, their mind and their bodies were totally transformed when they became disciples of these prophets.
And it was thru these disciples that the message of prophets lived thru generations.
Prophets were like the master Lamp, from whom many smaller lamps got their light and then it spread into millions and billions of small lamps.
It is very unfair to call prophets as “poor teachers”.
It is very rarely that you will find any True Disciple of any prophet, going and leading people on wrong path.
But those who did not see prophets and did not learn any thing from them directly, they are different, they could go wrong and lead people into wrong. The world is full of such “bad pupils”.
Allah Knows best
There is no doubt there are people who have charisma. Many of them become successful salespeople. The best can convince you that you need flood insurance for your home in Riyadh.

And I find your redirection from the prophets being poor teachers to placing blame on everyone else as poor students disgusting.

Do you realize how poorly that reflects on Allah or God or YHWH?

I also find this statement is quite revealing:
"It is very rarely that you will find any True Disciple of any prophet, going and leading people on wrong path."

Because if they go down the wrong path, you can quickly say they weren't a True Disciple. And wiping them off the face of the earth would have "Godly" justification.

It's a survivor bias that also crops up in the mutual fund industry.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#18025 Aug 4, 2013
You know? No you believe. If you know for a fact there is a God you could demonstrate evidence.
cellardweller19 wrote:
I know that god and the devil evists, so im out the q..peace

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#18026 Aug 4, 2013
Anyone can be a prophet. Make up some horsesht and tell it to enough people. Eventually you will have people following you and buying it.

You may have to work hard and only get one in 500 but eventually some will buy it and spread your message.
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>Where religion is concerned, the "Godly" don't need to follow the rules. Jesus certainly broke the rules.

If you are "blessed" by God with wealth or power, you are a candidate for prophethood and don't need to follow the holy books. Many think they are called, only a few succeed enough to be remembered 1000 years later and only a handful made it be worshiped.

And odd thought came to mind just now: there's an analogy to pro sports there.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18027 Aug 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Anyone can be a prophet. Make up some horsesht and tell it to enough people. Eventually you will have people following you and buying it.
...<quoted text>
Not sure thats as easy anymore. As Muslims believe Muhammed was the last prophet, so wil not accept people who now claim to be prophets. And in secular socities, people who claim to hear the voice of God in their heads, are schizophrenics requiring medical treatment.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18028 Aug 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You know? No you believe. If you know for a fact there is a God you could demonstrate evidence.
<quoted text>
Yep, the theists lack any credible evidence and are left with wishful thinking.

Location hidden

#18029 Aug 5, 2013
who is your god? a frog?
LCN Llin

United States

#18030 Aug 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You may have to work hard and only get one in 500 but eventually some will buy it and spread your message.
<quoted text>
A bit defensive?
Science is silent on atheism, Dawkins in not.
LOL
CrimeaRiver

UK

#18031 Aug 5, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Tell that to the stacks for foreclosed church deeds and religious leaders calling the nonbeliever movement devastating. The Christians are trembling over atheists as proven by all of the effort you spend on us. Simply put so many Christians wouldn't be wasting the tremendous time, effort and money on nonbelievers if we were such a small insignificant number and not progressing. It would be a fruitless endeavor yes?
<quoted text>
You've addressed me as a believer. Far from it. I am a non believing anti-Theist. I don't believe in God or established religious institutions.

I am more closely alligned to Buddhism as there is no creator God and 'faith' is based on individuality.

But I think that atheists (including me) need to stop bullying believers in to accepting there is no God. I know its frutrating for us to hear people spouting non-sense without proof.

But if atheists become bullies, then we are no different to religious nuts and fundamentalists.

We have our opinion and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than theist religions. Thats all we need to know
LCN Llin

United States

#18032 Aug 5, 2013
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You've addressed me as a believer. Far from it. I am a non believing anti-Theist. I don't believe in God or established religious institutions.
I am more closely alligned to Buddhism as there is no creator God and 'faith' is based on individuality.
But I think that atheists (including me) need to stop bullying believers in to accepting there is no God. I know its frutrating for us to hear people spouting non-sense without proof.
But if atheists become bullies, then we are no different to religious nuts and fundamentalists.
We have our opinion and it makes a hell of a lot more sense than theist religions. Thats all we need to know
sees believers under the bed, a bit defensive about lack of evidence, seems an ongoing issue
CrimeaRiver

UK

#18033 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit defensive?
Science is silent on atheism, Dawkins in not.
LOL
Science is silent on atheism for one reason. Because it does not claim to have all the answers. Science understands that, and where it does not have an answer, it will endeavour to find one that stands up to scrutiny.

Religion on the other hand will attribute all open questions to Gods will, and thats it. No need for evidence or critical study. God wills it that way and so it is Gods will.

Science cannot disprove God any more than it can prove it.

But at least Science will admit to that

Believers do not.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18034 Aug 5, 2013
cellardweller19 wrote:
who is your god? a frog?
Why is a 'god' is even necessary?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18035 Aug 5, 2013
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
As long a the religious try to have their myths taught as science in public school systems and their biblical views written into laws that govern everyone, how can we not speak out against them? I don't care if they want to worship belly-button lint... until they try to teach it as fact to unsuspecting school children... or try to force people by law to behave a certain way because it is written in the lint of the great belly-button!
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18036 Aug 5, 2013
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
.. need to stop bullying believers in to accepting there is no God...
What about Theists bullying Atheists into accepting a God. A number of Christians regularly come on here denouncing Atheism as evil, personally attacking atheists and condemning them to eternal torture in hell. This goes way and beyond any criticism of Thiests, which tends to centre of criticism of their particular book, and not on them personally.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#18037 Aug 5, 2013
and, Atheists criticise Theists for a lack of evidence. That is very moderate, in comparison to willing someone to be tortured in a mythical hell.

Location hidden

#18038 Aug 5, 2013
IM NOT "PROUD" but im christian. thankful is nicer
TamilKovil

UK

#18039 Aug 5, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Theists bullying Atheists into accepting a God. A number of Christians regularly come on here denouncing Atheism as evil, personally attacking atheists and condemning them to eternal torture in hell. This goes way and beyond any criticism of Thiests, which tends to centre of criticism of their particular book, and not on them personally.
We have common sense on our side and so don't need to stoop to that level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 min Dogen 3,159
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Dogen 83,795
High School Atheism 1 hr blacklagoon 3 34
what science will NEVER be able to prove 20 hr Reason Personified 60
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Dec 9 ChristineM 3,995
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Dec 8 Frindly 1,190
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 7 Eagle 12 - 128
More from around the web