Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17935 Aug 1, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but that just sounds silly. I don't 'actively not believe' in gods, unicorns, faeries, goblins, demons, leprechauns, dragons... etc. because there has never been any evidence of them existing in the first place. If one needs to 'actively not believe' something, that person must be choosing not to accept actual evidence... like creationists denying evidence of evolution. Just my 2 cents
I could of stated my post better. What I was trying to say was that babies/ young children are not positive / strong atheists. They do not explicitly assert there are no gods. I think they are negative or weak atheists i.e. does not believe in deities, but does not making explicit assertions, because they do not know the arguments for and against, so are unable to make informed judgments.
MUQ

Lucknow, India

#17936 Aug 1, 2013
GM wrote:
01. I'm starting to wonder now. While I disagree with you, I liked the peaceful discussion in the exchange of ideas.

02. I acknowledge that there may be some good ideas that are in the Quran. Just like I acknowledge there are good ideas in Hebrew, Christian, Hindu and Buddhist texts.

03. But this particular post of yours only demonstrates your frustration that the "word of god" doesn't instantly sway the unbelievers.

I guess you can blame that on Satan.

04. But then you have to acknowledge Satan can seriously challenge God.

Perhaps God has grown old and Her offspring has grown enough to kick Her ass to the old folks home?
Ans.

01. We might disagree , but we should exchange our views is civil way. That is the proper approach.

02. There are indeed good things in old scriptures, but every scriptures speaks about the Last prophet and if any one carefully follows his scripture, he or she should not reject the last and final prophet.

03. It is not in my power to sway any one in one direction or another. I just point out Islamic position and leave them to choose or reject.

04. Satan is also a creature of God and has no Power to defeat or lower the dignity or honor of God. This earth is nothing compared with the whole Universe.

God has given Satan power to whisper false ideas into minds of people….that is part of test which humans are undergoing in this world.

Satan has no power to force any one, he just whispers falsehood to humans….it is humans who choose what to follow…teachings of God or whisperings of Satan.

Allah Knows Best.
MUQ

Lucknow, India

#17937 Aug 1, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice how your quote includes Hindus and Buddhists in brackets. i.e. something he didnt say.
Muhammed obviously was ignorant about beliefs outside of the Middle East. He had no knowledge of the Chinese, South or North American, Europe or Australasia.
Yes our prophet did not say about Hindusim or Buddhism, or so many other religions in the world, but the idea is general.

What he said was a universal truth...
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17938 Aug 1, 2013
post 17935 should be written "should have" not "should of". Forgive the Stokey grammer!?!

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17939 Aug 1, 2013
Oh sure in all the so called holy books you can find the occasional positive statement or words of kindness. However with the Quran especially it falls flat when you realize that in the Quran almost every single page has at least one mention of shunning, threatening, harming and even killing non Muslims. Yes this study has been done with even page numbers, paragraph and line clearly documented.

After seeing how hate filled the Quran is page after page, thousands of times it is no big shock to see thousands of Muslims yearly committing acts of terrorism against unarmed innocent people.
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>I'm starting to wonder now. While I disagree with you, I liked the peaceful discussion in the exchange of ideas.

I acknowledge that there may be some good ideas that are in the Quran. Just like I acknowledge there are good ideas in Hebrew, Christian, Hindu and Buddhist texts.

But this particular post of yours only demonstrates your frustration that the "word of god" doesn't instantly sway the unbelievers.

I guess you can blame that on Satan.

But then you have to acknowledge Satan can seriously challenge God.

Perhaps God has grown old and Her offspring has grown enough to kick Her ass to the old folks home?

Henderson, KY

#17940 Aug 1, 2013
That's because even though the Quran doesn't specifically mention those non Muslim groups he has to include them in his hatred of all non Muslims. Never has there been a more hate filled book of rage as the Quran.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Notice how your quote includes Hindus and Buddhists in brackets. i.e. something he didnt say.

Muhammed obviously was ignorant about beliefs outside of the Middle East. He had no knowledge of the Chinese, South or North American, Europe or Australasia.

Henderson, KY

#17941 Aug 1, 2013
Your Muslim suicide bombers aren't very civil I notice. Just one of many reasons why Islam is failing you miserably.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

01. We might disagree , but we should exchange our views is civil way. That is the proper approach.

02. There are indeed good things in old scriptures, but every scriptures speaks about the Last prophet and if any one carefully follows his scripture, he or she should not reject the last and final prophet.

03. It is not in my power to sway any one in one direction or another. I just point out Islamic position and leave them to choose or reject.

04. Satan is also a creature of God and has no Power to defeat or lower the dignity or honor of God. This earth is nothing compared with the whole Universe.

God has given Satan power to whisper false ideas into minds of people….that is part of test which humans are undergoing in this world.

Satan has no power to force any one, he just whispers falsehood to humans….it is humans who choose what to follow…teachings of God or whisperings of Satan.

Allah Knows Best.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17942 Aug 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Never has there been a more hate filled book of rage as the Quran.
<quoted text>
Hi GML, personally I think the Old Testament / Tanakh is worse. Dont get me wrong there are both bad! but in the old testament it tells the Israelites to go from town to town and kill everything that breathes. Joshua then carries out genocide throughout Canaan, according to the highly disputable accounts. The Quran I think has similar calls to violence, but put more limits on when jihad can be carried out. But lets face it only batshit fundies think either book is a moral guide :D
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17943 Aug 1, 2013
^ correction, meant to say "batshit crazy fundies"
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17944 Aug 1, 2013
Stoke. Gateway to Alton Towers...
spudgun wrote:
post 17935 should be written "should have" not "should of". Forgive the Stokey grammer!?!
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17947 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Stoke. Gateway to Alton Towers...
<quoted text>
Its a good road the A500, means you dont have to slow down when driving through :D
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17948 Aug 1, 2013
In the news, liberal Saudi activist sentenced to 600 lashes and 7 years for insulting Islam.
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/07/sau...

He is a muslim, recited the Muslim declaration of faith in court. His "crime" was having a website critical of saudi authorities and asking questions. On the website he said that Muslims, Christians and Atheists were equal.

A pretty harmless statement. Also he said these werent his own opinions, but an account of the words of others.

But despite this defence was still found guilty.

Henderson, KY

#17949 Aug 1, 2013
There are several cases where I'm the Quran they do the same thing killing each and every person. The OT at least has some stretches across the pages where hatred and killing gets a time out lol.

Almost every single page in the Quran has that. But really it's like comparing a turd to a pile of sht.:))
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Hi GML, personally I think the Old Testament / Tanakh is worse. Dont get me wrong there are both bad! but in the old testament it tells the Israelites to go from town to town and kill everything that breathes. Joshua then carries out genocide throughout Canaan, according to the highly disputable accounts. The Quran I think has similar calls to violence, but put more limits on when jihad can be carried out. But lets face it only batshit fundies think either book is a moral guide :D

Henderson, KY

#17950 Aug 1, 2013
All the while the Saudi royal family does lines of cocaine off a blonde from NYC's implanted boobs.

But they are supposedly the family of Muhammad so they get a pass and blessed by Muslims. Hypocrites.
spudgun wrote:
In the news, liberal Saudi activist sentenced to 600 lashes and 7 years for insulting Islam.
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/07/sau...

He is a muslim, recited the Muslim declaration of faith in court. His "crime" was having a website critical of saudi authorities and asking questions. On the website he said that Muslims, Christians and Atheists were equal.

A pretty harmless statement. Also he said these werent his own opinions, but an account of the words of others.

But despite this defence was still found guilty.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17951 Aug 1, 2013
Fair comment. I do have one counter example though.

In the OT, Noah is just a gormless sap, complicit in an extermination dictated by god.

In the koran, it is Nuh that asks god to exterminate the sinners. Quite a different spin on the old myth.

Easiest to say: they're both bad books.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi GML, personally I think the Old Testament / Tanakh is worse. Dont get me wrong there are both bad! but in the old testament it tells the Israelites to go from town to town and kill everything that breathes. Joshua then carries out genocide throughout Canaan, according to the highly disputable accounts. The Quran I think has similar calls to violence, but put more limits on when jihad can be carried out. But lets face it only batshit fundies think either book is a moral guide :D
MUQ

Lucknow, India

#17952 Aug 1, 2013
To: Mr. Spider

Qualities of a True Prophet of God:

G. Seventh Quality: Prophets do not seek any Worldly Reward for their services

Since Prophets are sent by God for specific missions and are His representatives on earth, they seek rewards only from God. They do not ask or demand any worldly demands from their followers for their services.

This selflessness of Prophets is one quality which distinguishes them from False prophets, who want either worldly rewards or recognition or fame.

The pre-eminent position which prophets receive from their followers is not because of their asking, it is because of their eminence in the knowledge of religious matters and that they are main source from which their followers get the guidance.

G1. Do Prophets not receive “Any” Reward?

The Honor and Recognition from their followers is totally different from the titles and wealth and pomp and show which worldly kings and Rulers and Dictators and Political Leaders and Reformers achieve in their lives.

The Power and Might and Position of most of these worldly rulers declines quickly after their death. In most cases no one even remembers their names unless he goes into books of History.

In case of Prophets, their Honor, Reverence, Recognition in world and in the eyes of their followers increases with time.

This is the “Worldly Rewards” which they achieve in this world, but their Real Rewards shall be in the hereafter, when God will bestow upon them Honors, Blessings and Rewards beyond any measure!!

Thinking

Royston, UK

#17953 Aug 1, 2013
When will muslims stop hacking the pissflaps off of little girls?
MUQ wrote:
To: Mr. Spider
G. Seventh Quality: Prophets do not seek any Worldly Reward for their services
Since Prophets are sent by God for specific missions and are His representatives on earth, they seek rewards only from God. They do not ask or demand any worldly demands from their followers for their services.
This selflessness of Prophets is one quality which distinguishes them from False prophets, who want either worldly rewards or recognition or fame.
The pre-eminent position which prophets receive from their followers is not because of their asking, it is because of their eminence in the knowledge of religious matters and that they are main source from which their followers get the guidance.
G1. Do Prophets not receive “Any” Reward?
The Honor and Recognition from their followers is totally different from the titles and wealth and pomp and show which worldly kings and Rulers and Dictators and Political Leaders and Reformers achieve in their lives.
The Power and Might and Position of most of these worldly rulers declines quickly after their death. In most cases no one even remembers their names unless he goes into books of History.
In case of Prophets, their Honor, Reverence, Recognition in world and in the eyes of their followers increases with time.
This is the “Worldly Rewards” which they achieve in this world, but their Real Rewards shall be in the hereafter, when God will bestow upon them Honors, Blessings and Rewards beyond any measure!!

Henderson, KY

#17954 Aug 1, 2013
Then Muhammad is certainly not a true prophet of God as he certainly seemed wealth, land, wives and power. Even you cannot claim he did not seek and collect power, gold, land, slaves and wives.

Muhammad by your own criteria is not a true prophet of God.
MUQ wrote:

G. Seventh Quality: Prophets do not seek any Worldly Reward for their services.
LCN Llin

United States

#17955 Aug 1, 2013
Atheism to Defeat Religion

Atheism 14

Religion 14

Half-Time
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#17956 Aug 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
When will muslims stop hacking the pissflaps off of little girls?
<quoted text>
Lol! Muslims are different and a threat to western civilization period as when there extreme elements take actions 99% of global Muslims do not outspokenly condemn the nasty acts unless its Shia vs Sunni. More people have been killed in the name of god then any other reason. Satan is still killed just in the single digits I suppose he couldn't be that bad then right? Even masonry at the higher levels practice satan rituals, ironic eh. Lizard people they say... Perhaps... Time for a new religion. Maybe need aliens on the moon mining valued minerals and operating a space port... I can work with that... How do i get billions to believe in the invisible man hmmm .... A fuck it I need a beer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Into The Night 67,349
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 min yehoshooah adam 3,543
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr River Tam 28,683
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web