Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23584 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17839 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I've heard the lottery both called the stupid person's tax, and the poor person's tax.
<quoted text>
It's both.

The stupid people are .. well, stupid, so they buy them.

The poor? They buy them because they see no other recourse to get out of being poor.

Alas, if they'd but save the money they spend on lotteries, and then invest the savings?

They'd likely be less poor...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17840 Jul 24, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe. But there seems to be no easy solutions to the world's energy problems. Some people say renewable energy is driving up all our fuel bills.
Off Topic...
It is. That doesn't mean it's very acceptable to go back to hydro, coal and gas alone.

Some enterprising and organised villages manage to make a profit from green energy (e.g. Freiburg, Germany). And most problems are solvable. For instance, navigation on the Severn need not be obstructed if the tidal power can be harnessed by lagoons along the shores instead of systems that go from shore to shore. It all takes time to develop.

(I generally read people's replies. Sorry I don't always respond :)
Thinking

UK

#17841 Jul 24, 2013
My wife is French so I know plenty about their industry. It's a fine record when you consider the vast majority of electricity - nearly 80%- in France is nuclear generated as opposed to say 20% over here.

With the move to Thorium, the industry can get even cleaner.
EdSed wrote:
P.S 'major' French nuclear accidents, I mean...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_...
Thinking

UK

#17842 Jul 24, 2013
Conversely, Heinlein's Lazarus Long said, "Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win."

We've got a government savings scheme here, where, instead of giving you interest, random prizes from £25 to £1,000,000 are handed out each month. I've got the maximum stake I can in that scheme, so I'm in no position to judge.

This is ERNIE, the original analogue computer used to pick the winners. People used to send it Christmas cards!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_Bond#ER...
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's both.
The stupid people are .. well, stupid, so they buy them.
The poor? They buy them because they see no other recourse to get out of being poor.
Alas, if they'd but save the money they spend on lotteries, and then invest the savings?
They'd likely be less poor...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17843 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Conversely, Heinlein's Lazarus Long said, "Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win."
We've got a government savings scheme here, where, instead of giving you interest, random prizes from £25 to £1,000,000 are handed out each month. I've got the maximum stake I can in that scheme, so I'm in no position to judge.
This is ERNIE, the original analogue computer used to pick the winners. People used to send it Christmas cards!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_Bond#ER...
<quoted text>
You get more than just a "maybe win" in your case, so it's not pure wishful thinking (unlike regular lotteries).
Thinking

UK

#17844 Jul 24, 2013
Yes - you get to keep the stake.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You get more than just a "maybe win" in your case, so it's not pure wishful thinking (unlike regular lotteries).
Thinking

UK

#17845 Jul 24, 2013
I remember reports of deaths in biogas facilities across the world. It would be intellectually honest to list those deaths too.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Off Topic...
It is. That doesn't mean it's very acceptable to go back to hydro, coal and gas alone.
Some enterprising and organised villages manage to make a profit from green energy (e.g. Freiburg, Germany). And most problems are solvable. For instance, navigation on the Severn need not be obstructed if the tidal power can be harnessed by lagoons along the shores instead of systems that go from shore to shore. It all takes time to develop.
(I generally read people's replies. Sorry I don't always respond :)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17846 Jul 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I generally read people's replies. Sorry I don't always respond
I have the same problem. Dont always have the time for topix. But maybe thats a good thing.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17847 Jul 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Some news for you..
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/07/nor...

"A 24 year old Norwegian woman who was raped in Dubai has herself been sent to jail, convicted under sharia law of having sex outside of marriage."

I read that for rapists to be convicted you may need four adult Muslim males witness the crime?

It sounds like women are treated in an appauling fashion in your country.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#17848 Jul 25, 2013
This was a shocking story all too common in Islam.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Some news for you..
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/07/nor...

"A 24 year old Norwegian woman who was raped in Dubai has herself been sent to jail, convicted under sharia law of having sex outside of marriage."

I read that for rapists to be convicted you may need four adult Muslim males witness the crime?

It sounds like women are treated in an appauling fashion in your country.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17849 Jul 25, 2013
Mr. Spider

What happened to you? Called for an "important business"?

Here is the fifth quality of a True Prophet of God;

Qualities of a True Prophet of God:

E. Fifth Quality: Prophets are Role Models for their Followers:

God sends prophets to not only deliver His message to people, but also present themselves as “Role Models” to act on received guidance.

The followers only have to look at their prophets and try their level best to follow in their footsteps.

Prophets are the Perfect Models and every one of their followers should try to imitate them as much as they can.

In status Prophets are the Highest Level to which any human can get. Of all human beings, prophets are closest to God in Blessings and Stature and Position.

No follower can rise to the level of prophets or can even think of getting there or higher than them.

It is not for humans to speculate on Stature of their or other prophets and / or try to give them ranks. This is prerogative of God and God only.

One simile could be that prophets are blazing torches or shining lamps placed on the highest rocks and human folks getting light and warmth and directions thru these lamps and torches.

E1. Prophethood is a full time Job!

A prophet is on a full time mission from God. He spends very little time for his personal and family jobs and most of his time is spent in propagating the teachings which he received from God.

His job is not a Postman’s who just delivers the message and then is free of his responsibilities.

From the time he declares his mission and till he dies, or killed / Martyred in the cause of Mission, he is always a Prophet of God. We have not yet come to know a single case in which a prophet was “stripped off or dethroned” from the title of Prophethood.

God is far above from making wrong choices about whom He picks and selects to be His Prophets and Messengers.

Prophets coming into the world is not an every day event. It is one of these rarest of the rare events, if one considers human history of past 2000 years and counts the total numbers of humans born in this period in the whole world and the total number of prophets sent into world, the ratio could be one prophet for more than 100 Billion people or more!!

E2. Prophets declare unambiguously in the beginning of their missions that they are sent as a Prophet of God:

A prophet of God does not change his stand as his mission progresses. His stand from first to last day of his mission is the same.

And this is not a claim which "outsiders" can make for a prophet.

A prophet of God stands amongst people and speaks clearly and un ambiguously that he has been sent as a prophet and as a guide.

It is not that people "decide by popular vote" long after some one is dead that "such and such person" Might Have been a prophet of God, because it defeats the very purpsoe and position of a prophet as a public guide and a role model

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17850 Jul 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Mr. Spider
God sends prophets to not only deliver His message to people, but also present themselves as “Role Models” to act on received guidance.
The followers only have to look at their prophets and try their level best to follow in their footsteps.
Prophets are the Perfect Models and every one of their followers should try to imitate them as much as they can.
In status Prophets are the Highest Level to which any human can get. Of all human beings, prophets are closest to God in Blessings and Stature and Position.
No follower can rise to the level of prophets or can even think of getting there or higher than them.
It is not for humans to speculate on Stature of their or other prophets and / or try to give them ranks. This is prerogative of God and God only.
One simile could be that prophets are blazing torches or shining lamps placed on the highest rocks and human folks getting light and warmth and directions thru these lamps and torches.
A prophet is on a full time mission from God. He spends very little time for his personal and family jobs and most of his time is spent in propagating the teachings which he received from God.
His job is not a Postman’s who just delivers the message and then is free of his responsibilities.
From the time he declares his mission and till he dies, or killed / Martyred in the cause of Mission, he is always a Prophet of God. We have not yet come to know a single case in which a prophet was “stripped off or dethroned” from the title of Prophethood.
God is far above from making wrong choices about whom He picks and selects to be His Prophets and Messengers.
Prophets coming into the world is not an every day event. It is one of these rarest of the rare events, if one considers human history of past 2000 years and counts the total numbers of humans born in this period in the whole world and the total number of prophets sent into world, the ratio could be one prophet for more than 100 Billion people or more!!
E2. Prophets declare unambiguously in the beginning of their missions that they are sent as a Prophet of God:
A prophet of God does not change his stand as his mission progresses. His stand from first to last day of his mission is the same.
A prophet of God stands amongst people and speaks clearly and un ambiguously that he has been sent as a prophet and as a guide.
It is not that people "decide by popular vote" long after some one is dead that "such and such person" Might Have been a prophet of God, because it defeats the very purpsoe and position of a prophet as a public guide and a role model
Still no word from you as to why your religion abuses, rapes and murder little girls and why you support such barbarity.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17852 Jul 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
How exactly do you intend to do that? Marry a 6 year old like Muhammed? Carry out a genocidal campaign like Joshua? Marry 700 wives and 300 slave concubines like Solomon?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17853 Jul 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Before discussing qualities of these prophets, you have failed to prove the existence of prophechy or any other supernatural power or ability. The only miracle here is your persistent delusion :)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17854 Jul 26, 2013
All the evidence indicates that the supernatural does not exist. God and gods, angels, heaven and hell, etc, are all figments of the imagination, and exist solely in the brain/mind. They do not have physical existence in the natural world.

Louisville, KY

#17855 Jul 26, 2013
You already posted this one. This disqualifies Muhammad as a prophet because he was a warlord, owned slaves, beat his own wives brutally, laughed when other women were whipped for merely annoying their husband.
MUQ wrote:
Mr. Spider

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17856 Jul 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You already posted this one. This disqualifies Muhammad as a prophet because he was a warlord, owned slaves, beat his own wives brutally, laughed when other women were whipped for merely annoying their husband.
<quoted text>
Sounds much like the bronze age/ iron age prophets of the old testament
Scandinavian

Mosjøen, Norway

#17857 Jul 26, 2013
Atheism would defet the religous soon...i realy hope so

Religion has no ground in 2013

Louisville, KY

#17858 Jul 26, 2013
Thank goodness civilized society has moved past such barbaric subhuman practices. Give Saudi Arabia another 1000 years they may catch up.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds much like the bronze age/ iron age prophets of the old testament
Scandinavian

Mosjøen, Norway

#17859 Jul 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Thank goodness civilized society has moved past such barbaric subhuman practices. Give Saudi Arabia another 1000 years they may catch up.
<quoted text>
Coulndt said it better, and 150% agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Thinking 247,613
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 33 min Silent Echo 12,830
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 47,864
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 2 hr Shizle 43
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 4 hr peruzzi 24
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Thinking 2,357
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr macumazahn 20,900
More from around the web