Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

henry

Bad Frankenhausen, Germany

#17809 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
As Give Me Liberty says, scientologists are not Atheists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Manson#M...
But you are still a nobjockey.
<quoted text>
Atheists are atheists nothing else.
henry

Bad Frankenhausen, Germany

#17810 Jul 23, 2013
EdSed wrote:
And clearly there's no Abrahamic god-allah (or gods).
Even if there were some sort of Creator of the Universe and we chose to refer to it as a god (or gods) the entity clearly has nothing to do with religions. All Abrahamic gods and these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
are fairly obviously man's constuctions based on early superstitions and politics.
There is no sound evidence or reason to think that it intervenes in human or natural events.
Religion = superstition
I think religion and religious faith should be seen in the context of mankind's development. Humanity is only a few million years old and modern society a few hundred years old. I think that superstitions (including religions) may come to be seen as a part of human development.
As far as I can see the nuclear Age is the final end of humanity.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17811 Jul 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
They are "happy" that they have freedom of thoughts and freedom to make fun of any religion and any religious personality and freedom to engage in any and every immoral activity.
This is new definition of American Dream!!
I suspect your dislike of America is a symptom of your Islamic brainwashing.

I can tell you what is >real< "immoral activity", it is fundies thinking that everyone will burn in hell whilst they and a handful of others will enjoy pleasures in paradise.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#17812 Jul 23, 2013
German wind turbines kill far more per MW generated than most other methods of energy generation - including nuclear. The majority of deaths are due to the huge amount of steel manufactured for wind farms.
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I can see the nuclear Age is the final end of humanity.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17813 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
German wind turbines kill far more per MW generated than most other methods of energy generation - including nuclear. The majority of deaths are due to the huge amount of steel manufactured for wind farms.
<quoted text>
I think our German friend thinks its likely there will be an imminent all-out nuclear war that would destroy everyone. I think thats possible but not very likely.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17814 Jul 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
A. Re: Bible
My advice to you is to look towards Quran and it will set you free from looking any other book for guidance.
You will not face the "same problem" in Quran as you face in Bible.
But if you had been born to a Christian family in a Christian country you would likely think the Bible is God's word. That how religion works.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#17815 Jul 23, 2013
Certainly I'm very glad that Germany didn't get their hands on nuclear weapons when henry was a child, 70 years ago.

I think it is possible that a dirty bomb or a small bomb will be detonated somewhere where it will kill thousands. By small, I mean around a third or a half the size of the WWII bombs - still extremely significant - but not world enders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_North_Korea...
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I think our German friend thinks its likely there will be an imminent all-out nuclear war that would destroy everyone. I think thats possible but not very likely.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17816 Jul 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Certainly I'm very glad that Germany didn't get their hands on nuclear weapons when henry was a child, 70 years ago.
<quoted text>
I think they were not too far off, cause the US took 700 Nazi scientists out of Germany at the end of the war, under codename Operation Paperclip.
Thinking

Lymington, UK

#17817 Jul 23, 2013
In a similar vein, the RAF flew Niels Bohr out of Sweden in the bomb bay of a Mosquito - quite a story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_Bohr#Nazi...
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they were not too far off, cause the US took 700 Nazi scientists out of Germany at the end of the war, under codename Operation Paperclip.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17818 Jul 23, 2013
SG wrote:

How can you possibly know this? An all powerful God could chose a spokesperson at any time or any place of his choosing. Unless of course you think God only speaks to insane people?

This subject is already closed. A true prophet would be able to predict future events with 100% accuracy. These predictions would give specific details of names, places and times, not vague guesswork. This of course has never happened.
Ans.

1. God did choose His prophets carefully. He does not need advice from "junkies" like you.

How do I know that? It is mentioned in the "Book of God".

2. You put your own conditions on prophesies, which you cannot never fulfill.

I asked you can you "prophesy" who will be US President in year 2096?

Prophesies in scriptures are "word picture of future events", they are not specific and do not give exact details.

It does not have to do with Power and Knowledge of God, it is for the sake of people, so as not to sit idle and leave everything to that person.

Allah Knows Best.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17819 Jul 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
..it is for the sake of people, so as not to sit idle and leave everything to that person.
Allah Knows Best.
You are probably thinking why do these atheists care? Why are they bitter? It is cause theists think they belong to a special group which is far superior in every way to everyone else. The rest of humanity is just worthless trash to be burnt in fire. It is insulting to us and all of our loved ones. Everyone is of equal worth, just cause we are born in a different place and believe different things. Its perhaps something one day you will understand.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17820 Jul 24, 2013
So why has one flavour of islam been murdering another flavour of islam uninterrupted since the very century your religion was invented?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Allah Knows Best.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17821 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Pure nonsense. The bills for nuclear disasters run to tens of millions. It looks like every country will need its own Fukashima and Chernobyl before people get it.

And nuclear weapons are a problem too....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sunken_n...

Wait until one of our nuclear subs hits something. It has nearly happened before. Unlike the Soveit Union, people will expect the UK to pay compensation. To be free from such 'English problems' is one reason that Scots might just become independent. I don't think I will vote for government by an unreformed Westminster Parliament.
JMHO
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17822 Jul 24, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Pure nonsense. The bills for nuclear disasters run to tens of millions. It looks like every country will need its own Fukashima and Chernobyl before people get it.
Maybe. But there seems to be no easy solutions to the world's energy problems. Some people say renewable energy is driving up all our fuel bills.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17823 Jul 24, 2013
You'll be amazed how many people die making steel, not just in the foundries, but due to particulates in the air.

I'm not close minded to nuclear issues, but when I went to school the dribbling poorly educated excuses for teachers - outside of physics - didn't even want a debate.

France seems to have done OK, doesn't it?
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Pure nonsense. The bills for nuclear disasters run to tens of millions. It looks like every country will need its own Fukashima and Chernobyl before people get it.
Wait until one of our nuclear subs hits something. It has nearly happened before. Unlike the Soveit Union, people will expect the UK to pay compensation. To be free from such 'English problems' is one reason that Scots might just become independent. I don't think I will vote for government by an unreformed Westminster Parliament.
JMHO

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17824 Jul 24, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you had been born to a Christian family in a Christian country you would likely think the Bible is God's word. That how religion works.
Religion thrives on small mindedness, eogcentricism and ignorance.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17825 Jul 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
In a similar vein, the RAF flew Niels Bohr out of Sweden in the bomb bay of a Mosquito - quite a story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels_Bohr#Nazi...
<quoted text>
Thank you. You caused me to read the bits on Bohr, specifically during and shortly after WW2.

Fascinating person, and an atheist too.(Bohr, that is).

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17826 Jul 24, 2013
EdSed wrote:
JMHO
Thinking wrote:
You'll be amazed how many people die making steel, not just in the foundries, but due to particulates in the air.
I'm not close minded to nuclear issues, but when I went to school the dribbling poorly educated excuses for teachers - outside of physics - didn't even want a debate.
France seems to have done OK, doesn't it?
<quoted text>
I saw a discussion on the number of deaths both directly and indirectly due to the use of Natural Gas.

It was horrible-- truly horrible.

But NT came into common use gradually, and the number of fatalities it caused, crept up slowly.

But modern standards? No regulator would approve it's incredibly dangerous use for anything.

But because we humans have become caviler to it's deadly nature?

We let it slide...
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17827 Jul 24, 2013
Imagine if Niels have been brain damaged or killed by oxygen loss... really close shave. I suppose the war was crammed full of cock ups, but even so.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. You caused me to read the bits on Bohr, specifically during and shortly after WW2.
Fascinating person, and an atheist too.(Bohr, that is).
Thinking

Royston, UK

#17828 Jul 24, 2013
People have a very poor understanding of risk.
Sometimes that's a good thing, but it makes our decision making irrational.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
I saw a discussion on the number of deaths both directly and indirectly due to the use of Natural Gas.
It was horrible-- truly horrible.
But NT came into common use gradually, and the number of fatalities it caused, crept up slowly.
But modern standards? No regulator would approve it's incredibly dangerous use for anything.
But because we humans have become caviler to it's deadly nature?
We let it slide...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Dogen 58,722
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Parrot Slayer 27,726
News Distrust of the non-religious runs deep in Amer... 6 hr Lawrence Wolf 125
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr Dogen 2,083
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 13 hr Hedonist Heretic 213
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 18 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,970
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 20 hr Amused 65
More from around the web