Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17686 Jul 16, 2013
And clearly there's no Abrahamic god-allah (or gods).

Even if there were some sort of Creator of the Universe and we chose to refer to it as a god (or gods) the entity clearly has nothing to do with religions. All Abrahamic gods and these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
are fairly obviously man's constuctions based on early superstitions and politics.

There is no sound evidence or reason to think that it intervenes in human or natural events.

Religion = superstition

I think religion and religious faith should be seen in the context of mankind's development. Humanity is only a few million years old and modern society a few hundred years old. I think that superstitions (including religions) may come to be seen as a part of human development.

“The holy experience”

Since: Mar 12

Pune, India

#17687 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. If you prophesize about some vent that comes into pass, many centuries afterwards, you will also use the "same language"?
Don't you know that language, phrases and so many things get changed as time passes?
For example if I give you a sample of 2000 years old English language, you will not understand a word of it!!
2. So the ignorance part is on your side and not on the part of either God or the Prophets of God.
3. If they used this words, Electricity, Penicillin, Internet etc… 4000 years back, people would have considered them mad.
For example if someone would have used the word "Internet" 100 years back, how would people have reacted?
3. May be after 200 years, our age would be called "primitive".
4. Your boasts only show your ignorance and nothing more.
Even the scientific verses that you claim to be in Quran was esoteric and beyond comprehension limits of 7th century Arabs.Just saying.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17688 Jul 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
And clearly there's no Abrahamic god-allah (or gods).
Even if there were some sort of Creator of the Universe and we chose to refer to it as a god (or gods) the entity clearly has nothing to do with religions. All Abrahamic gods and these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
are fairly obviously man's constuctions based on early superstitions and politics...
Nicely put.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#17689 Jul 16, 2013
Because you are just making it up there are not 20 official qualifications for a prophet in Islam and you know it. You are lying and you know it.

It seems, as you have stopped presenting these so called qualifications that you have proven me correct.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Why should I spoil all the "fun" of the discussion?

Let me see how logical and patient you people are in these matters.

And that would show how Islam considers prophets of God and to what stringent tests they are subjected.

Louisville, KY

#17690 Jul 16, 2013
1: the English language is not 2000 years old moron. Sheesh and you wonder why people mock you ignorant Muslims. I guess Allah failed you there!
2: No the ignorance is on you who thinks the English language is 2000 years old! Again Allah failed you!
3: In 200 years our society will seem antiquated no doubt. Those people will read in horror at how Muslims killed babies at daycares for their dark god. Allah has failed you.
4: You are speaking of yourself obviously. Your belief in the moon god Allah is your ignorance nothing more.

See? I unlike you can answer questions.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

1. If you prophesize about some vent that comes into pass, many centuries afterwards, you will also use the "same language"?

Don't you know that language, phrases and so many things get changed as time passes?

For example if I give you a sample of 2000 years old English language, you will not understand a word of it!!

2. So the ignorance part is on your side and not on the part of either God or the Prophets of God.

3. If they used this words, Electricity, Penicillin, Internet etcÂ… 4000 years back, people would have considered them mad.

For example if someone would have used the word "Internet" 100 years back, how would people have reacted?

3. May be after 200 years, our age would be called "primitive".

4. Your boasts only show your ignorance and nothing more.

Louisville, KY

#17691 Jul 16, 2013
What is the most difficult part of being a Muslim?

Suppressing your hard on while killing your daughter.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>When will islamic female genital mutilation end?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17692 Jul 16, 2013
Re: RC Church. From:
http://rationalist.org.uk/articles/4222/is-th...
The fact that the reform punishes the leaking of internal documents more harshly than perpetrators of child abuse (leakers face up to eight years in prison if the material concerns the "fundamental interests" of the Holy See or its diplomatic relations) should tell us something about the real priorities of the Catholic authorities.
Unquote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/11/pope...
And still others were designed to update the Vatican's legal system with contemporary practice: The new law cancels out lifetime prison sentences, for example, and instead imposes maximum sentences of 30-35 years in prison.
Unquote.
The UK is being criticised by the EU court for not reviewing 'life' sentences after 25 years.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17693 Jul 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Re: RC Church. From:
http://rationalist.org.uk/articles/4222/is-th...
The fact that the reform punishes the leaking of internal documents more harshly than perpetrators of child abuse (leakers face up to eight years in prison if the material concerns the "fundamental interests" of the Holy See or its diplomatic relations) should tell us something about the real priorities of the Catholic authorities.
Unquote
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/11/pope...
And still others were designed to update the Vatican's legal system with contemporary practice: The new law cancels out lifetime prison sentences, for example, and instead imposes maximum sentences of 30-35 years in prison.
Unquote.
The UK is being criticised by the EU court for not reviewing 'life' sentences after 25 years.
I do find it ironic that the Vatican can criticize the UK, while at the same time, continue to hide pedophiles and the records of pedophiles within their hierarchy.

They have a log the size of the Aswan Dam blocking their vision, and they are attempting to "help" others who may or may not have an eye-speck...
Wake Up

Lexington, KY

#17694 Jul 16, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
The acts of evil my priests and muslims towards children is proof that there is no God. If there was an all-loving God then it is reasonsable to expect him to stop such abuse from happening. As no intervention is made then no God exists.
That's silly. God did not create programmed robots that follow a set of algorythms. He created humans and gave them a free will to do what they want. The reason people kill and rape is because they are evil and have the devil in their hearts. Don't blame it on God. They kill because of the evil spirit inside them.
Wake Up

Lexington, KY

#17695 Jul 16, 2013
You can not group a whole bunch of people together and be like...see, there is no God because you people of this religion do evil things. Of course religion is corrupt. Because the original nature of man is evil and mankind is responsible for every religion. It is not God's fault that mankind did not choose to follow his commands. If I tell my child not to ever run out in the street, and someone else tells my child it is okay to go in the street that nothing will happen. If my child runs out in the street, she will get hit by a car. I did not will her to get hit by a car just because it happened.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17696 Jul 16, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do find it ironic that the Vatican can criticize the UK, while at the same time, continue to hide pedophiles and the records of pedophiles within their hierarchy.
I find it diabolical that they protect paedophiles,(never mind ironic!:-).By the way, I didn't write that the Vatican criticised the UK. It was the EU court of human rights....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/jul/09/who...
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
They have a log the size of the Aswan Dam blocking their vision, and they are attempting to "help" others who may or may not have an eye-speck...
Too true. And it isn't just the child abuse, insane advice like don't use condoms...
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/06/...
There seems to have been money-laundering and links to organised crime too.

If this were a secular organisation RC's would be horrified and withdraw their support, but call it the Church and it can do no wrong. That's religion for you, or at least religious sectarianism. And I'm still not convinced they've learned that when there's a crime (outside the Vatican 'precincts') you call the police, just like any secular organisation.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17697 Jul 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What is the most difficult part of being a Muslim? <quoted text>
convincing people it's a religion of peace?..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_violen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middl...

I think Muslims display even more blindness about religion than RCs -(all things being possible :-)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17698 Jul 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>..the EU court of human rights...
correction: it was a ruling by the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17701 Jul 16, 2013
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
That's silly. God did not create programmed robots that follow a set of algorythms.
Really? Then explain **why** you god-robots act so very much like you **are** following a script?

Can you do that?

It is so bad-- that sometimes it's impossible to tell one god-poster from the next-- so similar do your rants sound.

Hmmmmm......

... I think you were programmed to say the above...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17702 Jul 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I find it diabolical that they protect paedophiles,(never mind ironic!:-).By the way, I didn't write that the Vatican criticised the UK. It was the EU court of human rights....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/jul/09/who...
<quoted text>Too true. And it isn't just the child abuse, insane advice like don't use condoms...
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/06/...
There seems to have been money-laundering and links to organised crime too.
If this were a secular organisation RC's would be horrified and withdraw their support, but call it the Church and it can do no wrong. That's religion for you, or at least religious sectarianism. And I'm still not convinced they've learned that when there's a crime (outside the Vatican 'precincts') you call the police, just like any secular organisation.
Yes... I did not mention their programs of lies surrounding condom use.

Until recently, condoms were the **only** real and inexpensive way to help prevent the spread of STDs, including AIDS.

But the Vatican **lied** about condoms... out and out lied. No way to spin what they said, except to call it lies.

Disgusting.

Vatican is **directly** responsible for most of the spread of AIDS in Africa.

Directly.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17703 Jul 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>correction: it was a ruling by the ECHR (European Court of Human Rights)
Aaah. Thanks.
Thinking

York, UK

#17704 Jul 16, 2013
I think the islamists have a real problem here.
The OT god was a total unapologetic bastard.
The NT marketing relaunch said god was lovely, but satan was evil.
As islam is plagiarised from the NT and the OT, they have to pretend their god nice too, even though he is still just another petty vengeful bastard.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I gues the other alternatives are having an evil God or an indifferent God.
Maybe an evil God would explain why bad things happen to good people. Maybe Muq can answer this, does Allah hate unbelievers and love believers?
But why would anyone >want< to worship an entity full of hate and violence towards most of humankind? Only an evil mind could conceive the idea that it is just to reward a group of arabs with 72 virgins each, whilst torturing the remainder of humankind with fire.
The other alternative being an entity that is indifferent to human affairs. There would be no point in worshipping it.
I think the last alternative perhaps fits reality, as nature is itself amoral. It is unconcerned with right and wrong. So a creator if one existed would have the same attributes as nature which it is creating. Or of course there could just be nature and no imaginary sky people.

Louisville, KY

#17705 Jul 16, 2013
True true. I just wonder why anyone would join or remain in such a brutal death cult like Islam especially women.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>convincing people it's a religion of peace?..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_violen...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middl...

I think Muslims display even more blindness about religion than RCs -(all things being possible :-)

Louisville, KY

#17706 Jul 16, 2013
Hm you sure do speak a lot for this imaginary friend you call God. It seems like he should speak for himself in this day and age.

Let's hear from the organ grinder already and not the little dancing monkey eh?
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>That's silly. God did not create programmed robots that follow a set of algorythms. He created humans and gave them a free will to do what they want. The reason people kill and rape is because they are evil and have the devil in their hearts. Don't blame it on God. They kill because of the evil spirit inside them.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#17707 Jul 16, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>Even the scientific verses that you claim to be in Quran was esoteric and beyond comprehension limits of 7th century Arabs.Just saying.
Please stand aside and watch these discussions. You have lost your chance to discuss any thing with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Uncle Sam 239,533
News New Atheism Produces Another Curiously Uncuriou... 8 min P_Smith 1
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 12 min woodtick57 7,523
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 57 min Zog Has-fallen 19,106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr thetruth 2,223
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr Pete-o 7,504
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 14 hr Rosa_Winkel 134
More from around the web