Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“The holy experience”

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#17666 Jul 15, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesnt know if he was a real prophet or a fraud! As he says in the above posts, the only prophecies are generalisations. He can only write in broad general terms.
There are people today who claim that God speaks through them. Today such people are considered crazy or fraudulent liars.
We all know this fact.I just want to see how MUQ handles this..:)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17667 Jul 15, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
We all know this fact.I just want to see how MUQ handles this..:)
In the same way he handles it when he gets sight of a western woman's ankle. He takes out his "holy book", gets his lad out and pleasures himself at the thought of the 72 virgins waiting for him in the sky.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17668 Jul 15, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
In the same way he handles it when he gets sight of a western woman's ankle. He takes out his "holy book", gets his lad out and pleasures himself at the thought of the 72 virgins waiting for him in the sky.
Well... that explains the crusty nature of the cover of his "holy" book, I suppose...

... eeewww...
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#17669 Jul 15, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, but was Muhammad actually picked by the God?Or he was just a self-proclaimed prophet?
How to know if he was really a prophet of God?
You had your chance, but you did not use it and handed over the baton to someone else.

Now wait and watch, how proper discussions are held on serious subjects.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17670 Jul 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well then anyone can be a prophet. Anyone can write some vaguely worded broadly hinted crap that others can project their daily happenings on.
Literally anyone can do that.
<quoted text>
Watch my boy, watch, we have only covered 3 out of 20 Qualities of a True Prophet of God.

Do not jump the line and do not ask pre-mature questions. I did not mention any names.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#17671 Jul 15, 2013
I notice you cowered away from my question. How about you just briefly mention all 20 and stop wasting time avoiding questions?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Watch my boy, watch, we have only covered 3 out of 20 Qualities of a True Prophet of God.

Do not jump the line and do not ask pre-mature questions. I did not mention any names.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#17672 Jul 15, 2013
By the way gang I have already googled up the Islamic qualities of a prophet and guess what? There are not 20! There are like 8. Meaning Muq has just been busted lying again.

This was his ploy to try to drag the conversation for as long as possible without having to actually answer questions.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#17673 Jul 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I notice you cowered away from my question. How about you just briefly mention all 20 and stop wasting time avoiding questions?
<quoted text>
Why should I spoil all the "fun" of the discussion?

Let me see how logical and patient you people are in these matters.

And that would show how Islam considers prophets of God and to what stringent tests they are subjected.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17674 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You had your chance, but you did not use it and handed over the baton to someone else.
Now wait and watch, how proper discussions are held on serious subjects.
Why does your religion abuse, rape and murder little girls?

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17675 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch my boy, watch, we have only covered 3 out of 20 Qualities of a True Prophet of God.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17676 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should I spoil all the "fun" of the discussion?
Let me see how logical and patient you people are in these matters.
And that would show how Islam considers prophets of God and to what stringent tests they are subjected.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#17677 Jul 16, 2013
SG wrote:

I know full well that prophesies are made in generalized terms and never specific ones.

There is an easy answer to this.

>>It is because no God is involved.<<

These "prophets" have no special powers :) Its blindingly obvious to those of us who have escaped the religious bubble.

Precise prophecies are risky. They have a very high probability of being wrong. That is why "prophets" of the Bible and the Quran were unable to prophesy anything of any worth.

If they were really speaking on behalf of an omnipotent being they could instead write about something useful like electricity, penicillin, germ theory, cures for cancer, etc.

Yet surprise, surprise the best these prophets can do is write exactly as you would expect from primitive and uneducated people.
Ans.

1. If you prophesize about some vent that comes into pass, many centuries afterwards, you will also use the "same language"?

Don't you know that language, phrases and so many things get changed as time passes?

For example if I give you a sample of 2000 years old English language, you will not understand a word of it!!

2. So the ignorance part is on your side and not on the part of either God or the Prophets of God.

3. If they used this words, Electricity, Penicillin, Internet etc… 4000 years back, people would have considered them mad.

For example if someone would have used the word "Internet" 100 years back, how would people have reacted?

3. May be after 200 years, our age would be called "primitive".

4. Your boasts only show your ignorance and nothing more.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17678 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
1. If you prophesize about some vent that comes into pass, many centuries afterwards, you will also use the "same language"?
Don't you know that language, phrases and so many things get changed as time passes?
For example if I give you a sample of 2000 years old English language, you will not understand a word of it!!
2. So the ignorance part is on your side and not on the part of either God or the Prophets of God.
3. If they used this words, Electricity, Penicillin, Internet etc… 4000 years back, people would have considered them mad.
For example if someone would have used the word "Internet" 100 years back, how would people have reacted?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17679 Jul 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
..3. May be after 200 years, our age would be called "primitive".
The people who write the Bible and Quran can be considered primtive compared to most people today.

Today we rightly reject slavery, sex-slavery, stoning people to death, and other barbaric laws and punishments.

We now reject superstitious beliefs like exorcisms and blood letting. The enlightened amongst us also reject prayer.

If you have any sense you will take an antibiotic for illness, rather than engage in prayer alone.

It is science and education that make us different from people in ancient societies. It is not that they were stupid, it is just that they were very superstitious. The superstition, magnified by the organised superstition of religion, made people in the past appear stupid by acting in irrational ways and doing craxy things.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17680 Jul 16, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple answer. Because the founder of Islam was a child abuser. As proven in Islamic sources Muhammed's bride was a mere 6 years of age.
Thinking

York, UK

#17681 Jul 16, 2013
When will islamic female genital mutilation end?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17682 Jul 16, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
The acts of evil my priests and muslims towards children is proof that there is no God. If there was an all-loving God then it is reasonsable to expect him to stop such abuse from happening. As no intervention is made then no God exists.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17683 Jul 16, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
The acts of evil my priests and muslims towards children is proof that there is no God. If there was an all-loving God then it is reasonsable to expect him to stop such abuse from happening. As no intervention is made then no God exists.
Too bloody true.
Thinking

York, UK

#17684 Jul 16, 2013
I also see no evidence for a god.
If any god exists, it can not be compassionate and all powerful.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17685 Jul 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I also see no evidence for a god.
If any god exists, it can not be compassionate and all powerful.
<quoted text>
I gues the other alternatives are having an evil God or an indifferent God.

Maybe an evil God would explain why bad things happen to good people. Maybe Muq can answer this, does Allah hate unbelievers and love believers?

But why would anyone >want< to worship an entity full of hate and violence towards most of humankind? Only an evil mind could conceive the idea that it is just to reward a group of arabs with 72 virgins each, whilst torturing the remainder of humankind with fire.

The other alternative being an entity that is indifferent to human affairs. There would be no point in worshipping it.

I think the last alternative perhaps fits reality, as nature is itself amoral. It is unconcerned with right and wrong. So a creator if one existed would have the same attributes as nature which it is creating. Or of course there could just be nature and no imaginary sky people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 min Eagle 12 240,129
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 33 min The_Box 7,693
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min NoahLovesU 19,153
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 1 hr The_Box 141
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 2,248
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Reason Personified 166
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Tue Reason Personified 14,660
More from around the web