Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spider

Cambridge, UK

#17573 Jul 10, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Some prophecies do have at least a dual fulfillment but there are others that are very specific. For the ones that are detailed, we need to make sure that every verse out of them are included at the time of their fulfillment. For example Zechariah 11 also says, three shepherds I cut off and Psalm 22 also says, they pierced my hands. Neither of these happened with Jesus but they were fulfilled by the real Messiah. Jesus fulfilled NO messianic prophecy although he did try.
Hi Susan, we meet again, how are you ? well I hope.

PLEASE TELL,,,, Who is or was the real messiah, according to your own belief or faith ?
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17574 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Show proof Jesus even existed before you make claims about what he did and didn't do.
<quoted text>
I have debated with Susan before,,, you will find her views and faith somewhat unusual to the norm.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17575 Jul 10, 2013
She says it's a woman and hints that she herself is the messiah.
spider wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Susan, we meet again, how are you ? well I hope.

PLEASE TELL,,,, Who is or was the real messiah, according to your own belief or faith ?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17576 Jul 10, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Show proof Jesus even existed before you make claims about what he did and didn't do.
<quoted text>
I don't know why you are arguing with me Liberty, I think we're on the same side. I do believe Jesus was a real person who claimed to be God, he's prophesied in the OT as the modern day idol of Israel. I believe he was a sorcerer and a necromancer and was crucified. I also do not believe he fulfilled any messianic prophecy. The bottom line is he's dead but has been reincarnated. This time he will burst into flames and go to hell, he has sinned against the living God. His new name is Bill.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17577 Jul 10, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Susan, we meet again, how are you ? well I hope.
I am well spider, thanks for asking. I do believe I am the Messiah and all of the first group of prophecies concerning the "suffering servant have been fulfilled. It would literally take months of nonstop chatter to convey all of the reasons why I believe this. I am mental which is the fulfillment of scripture. Psalm 38:7 OKJV. I have seen the same doctor for 36 years, he's actually a child psychiatrist, is Jewish, and he believes in me. He probably knows me better than I know myself and we are the two anointed ones. Zech. 4:14. He is Elijah the prophet reincarnated.
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#17578 Jul 10, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
So did Muhammed make any detailed, specific prophecies which came true?
Or are his prophecies like the ones in the Bible, vague and garbled nonsense?
The question is pre-mature. We are discussing about qualities of a True prophet of God.

We are not mentioning any names yet. That would come when we are finished with the list.

Please hold your patience for some time. If you have any comment on the First quality I mentioned, then please go ahead.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17579 Jul 10, 2013
So as messiah what will you be doing to save the world?
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am well spider, thanks for asking. I do believe I am the Messiah and all of the first group of prophecies concerning the "suffering servant have been fulfilled. It would literally take months of nonstop chatter to convey all of the reasons why I believe this. I am mental which is the fulfillment of scripture. Psalm 38:7 OKJV. I have seen the same doctor for 36 years, he's actually a child psychiatrist, is Jewish, and he believes in me. He probably knows me better than I know myself and we are the two anointed ones. Zech. 4:14. He is Elijah the prophet reincarnated.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#17580 Jul 10, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting thoughts there GM.
Following your line of thought I came up with this. If a god did create us then he her or it is responsible for all we do. None of us can control our thoughts,,,we may on occasion be pleased with them and share with others, or we may be embarrased or shocked and keep them secret,,but we definatly cannot control them.
Control our thoughts?

Can't claim that I can do that.

But what I can do is evaluate that thought and whether or not to act on it.

So what guideline should I use there? Which holy book would you recommend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_text

Nehwon

#17581 Jul 11, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to say. As you are not responsible for your thoughts, then you can't be guilty of a sin, therefore you wont go to hell,,,so hell does not exit.
Ask the various adherents of religion what hell is. You'll get a variety of answers.

From my Catholic upbringing it varied from fire and brimstone to a "total absence from God." Never mind the contradiction that God is everywhere... except hell.

Although that does lend credence that God is male. And I'm guessing that hell is the ladies bathroom.

I've heard stories from people cleaning that particular area...

Nehwon

#17582 Jul 11, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Thanks for reminding about the protestant movement in 1517!!
It took Christianity 1500 years to “demand” the access to Scriptures, a thing which Muslims had since its very beginning!!
So in fact Protestant Movement was trying to “copy” what Muslims which was with them from very beginning.
But in reality the “Protestant movement” was only a protest against the power of Pope and what he had decreed.
It did not achieve much in improving Christianity as a religion. The “Real Protestant Movement” should have been to “Protest” against the innovation of St. Paul!!
Let us see, when some one rises in Christianity to “protest” against St. Paul and bring it closer to what Jesus preached.
02. No the infighting between Muslim countries is not because of any religious issues.
It is just from some people to get more rights than others and exploit others.
It has no similarity with Catholics / Protestants fights and differences.
In Islam there is no problems as to what are true teachings.
There is no need of new prophet or a reformer of the likes of St. Paul in Islam.
I see.

So the difference between a Sunni and Shiite is just a trivial thing. Like which is better on filet mignon - ketchup or mustard?

Nothing to go to war about, right?

Thinking

Lymington, UK

#17583 Jul 11, 2013
Ketchup on fillet?

Put 'em up, put 'em up!!!
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
So the difference between a Sunni and Shiite is just a trivial thing. Like which is better on filet mignon - ketchup or mustard?

Nehwon

#17584 Jul 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Interesting.
Of course, it ignores the fabrication of a god who simply prefers the smell of roasting souls...
... over the adulation of sheep-like slave-worshipers.
Such a deity would engineer things so that most souls end up burning, and just enough to satisfy it's ego in "heaven".
;)
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you know you are going to Hell.
And here's the really fun part.

The look on your face when you arrive at hell and see Bob and I greeting you at the gates.

God also seems to get perverse pleasure seeing that.

The dismay upon realization that those who think they are entitled entry into Club Heaven are refused by St. Peter, the Bouncer.

The Word has it, there are photographers to capture the moment like at Disney World on the Log Flume ride.

Nehwon

#17585 Jul 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Some prophecies do have at least a dual fulfillment but there are others that are very specific. For the ones that are detailed, we need to make sure that every verse out of them are included at the time of their fulfillment. For example Zechariah 11 also says, three shepherds I cut off and Psalm 22 also says, they pierced my hands. Neither of these happened with Jesus but they were fulfilled by the real Messiah. Jesus fulfilled NO messianic prophecy although he did try.
Um, ok.

"Jesus fulfilled NO messianic prophecy although he did try."

Might as well call yourself an atheist, Muslim, Jew, or other here in the "Christian founded" US with that statement.

If the fundy Christians get their way, you might get a year or two reprieve from the "re-education" camps.

Nehwon

#17586 Jul 11, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know why you are arguing with me Liberty, I think we're on the same side. I do believe Jesus was a real person who claimed to be God, he's prophesied in the OT as the modern day idol of Israel. I believe he was a sorcerer and a necromancer and was crucified. I also do not believe he fulfilled any messianic prophecy. The bottom line is he's dead but has been reincarnated. This time he will burst into flames and go to hell, he has sinned against the living God. His new name is Bill.
How odd.

I met a guy named William who claimed everything you said.

He also said he hated the nickname Bill for the connotation of things you have to pay.

He said he liked to be call Will.

He also said you were a bit creepy.
spider

March, UK

#17587 Jul 11, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Control our thoughts?
Can't claim that I can do that.
But what I can do is evaluate that thought and whether or not to act on it.
So what guideline should I use there? Which holy book would you recommend?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_text
Me,,recommend a holy book, surely you jest G M

Nehwon

#17588 Jul 11, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Ketchup on fillet?
Put 'em up, put 'em up!!!
<quoted text>
A mustard guy, eh?

Couldn't even fathom the true sacrificial adornment that is Worcestershire sauce?

But this is assuming the filet is prepared by a lay priest.

With a true high priest, you would only need a touch of salt and/or pepper. But only after sampling it first.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17589 Jul 11, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
Ketchup on filet mignon die you heathen basted die.

Anyway I would have compared islam to a cow pad.
spider

Huntingdon, UK

#17590 Jul 11, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Ketchup on filet mignon die you heathen basted die.
Anyway I would have compared islam to a cow pad.
Oh come on,,,what have cow pats ever done.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17591 Jul 11, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on,,,what have cow pats ever done.
You are right cow pats are useful.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17592 Jul 11, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
You are right, for a Non Muslim there is no difference between Shia and Sunni....they both are heathen!!

That is why I do not discuss internal problems of any religion on these threads.

Now you confirm it why!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min Dogen 83,053
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 33 min Dogen 2,551
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web