Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17426 Jul 2, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I believe some things that are outside of the OT as long as they do not contradict it. For example I believe in karma and reincarnation. I know of 5 people that have been reincarnated. There is some truth in all religions and that is what I practice. Daniel 8:12 "...and it cast down the truth to the ground and it practiced and prospered"
Daniel - was borrowed from the the much more ancient Ugarit mythology. Within the Ugarit pantheon, Dan'il was a lesser deity, and many OT scholars think that "Daniel" was modeled after Dan'il.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17427 Jul 3, 2013
FS wrote:
You should know it MUQ. The question is not just about what Jews and Christians think about prophecies.

It is also about how Islam validated itself in the eyes of the Muslims. You are a believing Muslim.

Yet you do not know how Islam had verified itself as a true religion.
Ans.

I told you that you are confused and you do not even know how to carry out an argument.

I told you that first you ask questions from Jews and Christians and if you are satisfied with their answers, well and good, How can I answer questions on behalf of Jews and Christians.

As a Muslim, I find no problem in accepting Islam, because it answers all of my questions.

It is you, who is on the search, so it is upto you to do your homework.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17428 Jul 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
....I told you that you are confused and you do not even know how to carry out an argument....
Pot-kettle.

Religion = superstition

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#17429 Jul 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I told you that you are confused and you do not even know how to carry out an argument.
I told you that first you ask questions from Jews and Christians and if you are satisfied with their answers, well and good, How can I answer questions on behalf of Jews and Christians.
As a Muslim, I find no problem in accepting Islam, because it answers all of my questions.
What criteria did you look for when you were examining the veracity of the Muhammad's prophecy?
What questions of yours did Islam answer to?When we were talking about how to filter out true prophets from the crowd you had mentioned some criteria.When I asked if I could be a prophet if I follow the footsteps of Muhammad or Islam(fulfilling the criteria that you mentioned),you had simply denied that it wouldn't be possible as according to you Muhammad was the last prophet.
However,Muhammad being last prophet,is mentioned only in Islam.So how reasonable it was to use the criteria set by the person who himself was to be examined without checking their consistencies with the past ones?
Monotheism was practiced by Christians even before the arrival of Muslims,right?
Muhammad declared himself prophet and also approved the prophets of Christianity and Judaism,right?
Since everything from monotheism to other prophets seems to be in accordance with Christianity and Judaism,right ?
So what about Muhammad?Why he was denied by Christians and Jews?
If you don't know what their criteria were,how did Muslims approve his claims?Just give me the reason.
Since you had denied that one cannot simply become prophet just by following the footsteps of prophets then how could Muhammad become prophet just by propagating the ideas of Christianity and Judaism and merely adding some "new holy messages"?
I am not confused MUQ.A straight forward question; how Islam established itself as a true belief for you or any other Muslims?

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#17430 Jul 3, 2013
I think it's because of their parents and their upbringing that influences their religious beliefs. Religion is usually passed down from parent to child. Occasionally the child rebels and becomes an atheist or agnostic, but atheists that speak vocally about their beliefs are rare in Islam because of how they silence dissenters. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a good example of one who broke the silence about how women are treated.

I think you're more likely to find non-believers who will speak openly in Christianity and not Islam, since most Christians today don't act like they did a hundred years ago to dissenters....well, there are exceptions, like the Westboro Baptist Church.

Islam is a cultural thing that they teach throughout the Middle East and elsewhere. I read the Koran a little bit. It's an interesting read. A little contradictory at times but it's interesting.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17431 Jul 3, 2013
But if he admitted this fact he would face torture and death from his Muslim brothers.

It is the way of Islam.
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>You should know it MUQ.Thr question is not just about what Jews and Christians think about prophecies.It is also about how Islam validated itself in the eyes of the Muslims.You are a believing Muslim.Yet you do not know how Islam had verified itself as a true religion.

Henderson, KY

#17432 Jul 3, 2013
Could you at least show historical proof the prophet Muhammad even existed and wasn't just made up for the Quran?
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#17433 Jul 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
You should ask this question from Wikipedia people and not me.
I do not go to Wkipedia pages to learn about Islam.
Who is true Muslim is only known to Allah and not any humans.
In Islam one is not encouraged to make their sect and denomination and isolate them from other Muslims.
It is OK to have your own circle, but you should not make that any basis to cut you off. Having a group and having a sect are two different things.
Then fighting with each other and killing each other is one of the biggest crimes in Islam, if these so called sects are engaged in killing each other, how can you say that they are True Muslims?
It was indeed a great mercy from God that He sent the last prophet and closed the door of prophethood for ever.
There would be reformers and people who revive religion, but no prophets.
You can try to ignore what's happening, but it looks like Islam is splitting apart just like Christianity did.

That seems to be the opposite goal of what the "True" religion is supposed to do, doesn't it?

Ironically, that's the best evidence that Satan does exist. He whispers to a "prophet" "secret knowledge" of the "Word of God." And then sits back and laughs as war is carried out in the name of the prophet. And as time passes, the religion that "prophet" established splits apart into bickering factions.

Meanwhile, God is bored to death. It ain't easy being omnipotent.

Nehwon

#17434 Jul 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not odd at all. Things vary with different types of people and what type of discussions we are going to have.
You should have checked the context, before jumping into the discussions.
I think it is by using such type of techniques that you "prove" your case against Islam.
I see.

So you use the Qu'ran as an argument from authority when it suits you.

So how are you different from a fundamentalist Christian again?

Nehwon

#17435 Jul 3, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am not a Christian and do not believe being baptized guarantees you a place in heaven. There is a lot more to salvation than belief and ritual. It's our actions that determine our reward or punishment.
Congrats. You are now an enemy of Sola Scriptura Baptists. Repent now or go to jail so you can pass the time until you go to hell.

In your opinion, what does get you into heaven?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17436 Jul 3, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
You can try to ignore what's happening, but it looks like Islam is splitting apart just like Christianity did.
That seems to be the opposite goal of what the "True" religion is supposed to do, doesn't it?
Ironically, that's the best evidence that Satan does exist. He whispers to a "prophet" "secret knowledge" of the "Word of God." And then sits back and laughs as war is carried out in the name of the prophet. And as time passes, the religion that "prophet" established splits apart into bickering factions.
Meanwhile, God is bored to death. It ain't easy being omnipotent.
Nobody practices the True religion except the Messiah herself. There is some truth in all religions and the Messiah observes an eclectic mix. Things like karma and reincarnation. She also serves the living God of Israel and not Christianity.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17437 Jul 3, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats. You are now an enemy of Sola Scriptura Baptists. Repent now or go to jail so you can pass the time until you go to hell.
In your opinion, what does get you into heaven?
I had a vision of my own death almost 30 year ago and what gets all of us into heaven is keeping our end of the covenant, the ten commandments. If we do our part, God s faithful to do hers. "The righteous has hope in his death". There are also seven deadly sins which, if committed, cannot be forgiven. And they're not the Christian ones.
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#17438 Jul 3, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>What criteria did you look for when you were examining the veracity of the Muhammad's prophecy?
What questions of yours did Islam answer to?When we were talking about how to filter out true prophets from the crowd you had mentioned some criteria.When I asked if I could be a prophet if I follow the footsteps of Muhammad or Islam(fulfilling the criteria that you mentioned),you had simply denied that it wouldn't be possible as according to you Muhammad was the last prophet.
However,Muhammad being last prophet,is mentioned only in Islam.So how reasonable it was to use the criteria set by the person who himself was to be examined without checking their consistencies with the past ones?
Monotheism was practiced by Christians even before the arrival of Muslims,right?
Muhammad declared himself prophet and also approved the prophets of Christianity and Judaism,right?
Since everything from monotheism to other prophets seems to be in accordance with Christianity and Judaism,right ?
So what about Muhammad?Why he was denied by Christians and Jews?
If you don't know what their criteria were,how did Muslims approve his claims?Just give me the reason.
Since you had denied that one cannot simply become prophet just by following the footsteps of prophets then how could Muhammad become prophet just by propagating the ideas of Christianity and Judaism and merely adding some "new holy messages"?
I am not confused MUQ.A straight forward question; how Islam established itself as a true belief for you or any other Muslims?
I think brother, you do not even know what we are going to discuss.

You are just going here and there and there is no focus in your post.

Either you tell me what are the qualities of a true prophet of God or let me tell them to you.

Why you are moving around in a circle and neither telling anything yourself, nor allowing me to tell it.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#17440 Jul 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think brother, you do not even know what we are going to discuss.
You are just going here and there and there is no focus in your post.
Either you tell me what are the qualities of a true prophet of God or let me tell them to you.
Why you are moving around in a circle and neither telling anything yourself, nor allowing me to tell it.
I am not confused.You seem to be confused.
OK MUQ,I am making it more easy for you.From where did you get these criteria that you mentioned?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17441 Jul 3, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody practices the True religion except the Messiah herself. There is some truth in all religions and the Messiah observes an eclectic mix. Things like karma and reincarnation. She also serves the living God of Israel and not Christianity.
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I had a vision of my own death almost 30 year ago and what gets all of us into heaven is keeping our end of the covenant, the ten commandments. If we do our part, God s faithful to do hers. "The righteous has hope in his death". There are also seven deadly sins which, if committed, cannot be forgiven. And they're not the Christian ones.
Who ordered two posts with extra crazy sauce?

Henderson, KY

#17442 Jul 4, 2013
I know right! Even by crazy Christian standards she is looney.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>susanblange wrote, "<quoted text>I had a vision of my own death almost 30 year ago and what gets all of us into heaven is keeping our end of the covenant, the ten commandments. If we do our part, God s faithful to do hers. "The righteous has hope in his death". There are also seven deadly sins which, if committed, cannot be forgiven. And they're not the Christian ones."

Who ordered two posts with extra crazy sauce?

Henderson, KY

#17443 Jul 4, 2013
The Torah says the messiah would be an ugly man. Women were able to be priests in the Torah let alone the messiah.
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody practices the True religion except the Messiah herself. There is some truth in all religions and the Messiah observes an eclectic mix. Things like karma and reincarnation. She also serves the living God of Israel and not Christianity.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17444 Jul 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I know right! Even by crazy Christian standards she is looney.
<quoted text>
Guilty. I agree, I admit it. Psalm 38:7.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17445 Jul 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The Torah says the messiah would be an ugly man. Women were able to be priests in the Torah let alone the messiah.
<quoted text>
The scripture says repeatedly the Messiah is beautiful and "the fairest among women". Time will tell. My work will go before me.

Henderson, KY

#17446 Jul 4, 2013
What scripture was that? Straightoutofuourass 3:22?

Isaiah 53:2 He will be ugly.
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The scripture says repeatedly the Messiah is beautiful and "the fairest among women". Time will tell. My work will go before me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min The RED X Sniper 67,526
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 20 min Eagle 12 28,712
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 24 min Eagle 12 3,559
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Apr 25 superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Apr 25 superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web