Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17382 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There are three levels of heaven and hell. Death can be instant, you can spend time in hell or, as in the case of Satan, you can rot forever in hell. Evidently, his death was instant. He didn't deserve the terrors of hell but also didn't qualify to even be the lowest ranking angel. He's also been given a second chance.
Incompatible with a loving God. Hell is a tottally absurd idea.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17383 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>We'll all die, so we'll all find out!
Yes we will all die,,,but as there is nothing there to find out, and we loose our senses when we die, it stands to reason we will never know, unless of course you intend to return and prove me wrong,,I would truly like to see that.
If you require your faith to face and get through your life Susan then thats fine,,,providing you and others who believe do not attempt to threaten, or interfere in our lives. Take polotics for instance,,or monetary wealth taken from those buying a nonexisdent place in an after life, or land ownership by the church purchased with ill gotten gains, or fiddling with little kids. Apart from that I don't give a jot what anybody believes faithwise.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17384 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>There are three levels of heaven and hell. Death can be instant, you can spend time in hell or, as in the case of Satan, you can rot forever in hell. Evidently, his death was instant. He didn't deserve the terrors of hell but also didn't qualify to even be the lowest ranking angel. He's also been given a second chance.
Given a second chance,,by who, doctors I should imagine.

Now, you talk of him not deserving the terrors of hell and failing to qualify as an angel,,once again,,how can you possibly know this,,do you also realise by your own admission you have placed him in limbo. Who gave you the right to say such a thing, do you not understand the fear that such a comment could instill in a guillable individual.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17385 Jul 1, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Incompatible with a loving God. Hell is a tottally absurd idea.
God does not love everybody, she loves the righteous who love her. God hates the wicked and her enemies, those who have sinned against her.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17386 Jul 1, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we will all die,,,but as there is nothing there to find out, and we loose our senses when we die, it stands to reason we will never know, unless of course you intend to return and prove me wrong,,I would truly like to see that.
If you require your faith to face and get through your life Susan then thats fine,,,providing you and others who believe do not attempt to threaten, or interfere in our lives. Take polotics for instance,,or monetary wealth taken from those buying a nonexisdent place in an after life, or land ownership by the church purchased with ill gotten gains, or fiddling with little kids. Apart from that I don't give a jot what anybody believes faithwise.
Right now, God doesn't care what you believe about God either. The wicked go to hell. It includes those who will not repent and those who have committed a deadly sin. The righteous have hope in their death. I do plan on coming back from the dead on the Mount of Olives.

Since: Nov 12

Pittsburgh, PA

#17387 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>We'll all die, so we'll all find out!
You seem to mean well. I can tell you have a good heart. Just don't expect to make all of these claims without being questioned. Nothing you have said holds any weight. Much of it seems to be completely in your own mind made up by you without any reason behind it.

Being you do seem to have a good heart I would love to watch or be part of a discussion with you if you did have or think you have good reasons for your beliefs.

Since: Nov 12

Pittsburgh, PA

#17388 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God does not love everybody, she loves the righteous who love her. God hates the wicked and her enemies, those who have sinned against her.
Sounds like a weak god. One who hates.... An all loving god who hates anything or anyone is a contradiction.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17389 Jul 1, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Given a second chance,,by who, doctors I should imagine.
Now, you talk of him not deserving the terrors of hell and failing to qualify as an angel,,once again,,how can you possibly know this,,do you also realise by your own admission you have placed him in limbo. Who gave you the right to say such a thing, do you not understand the fear that such a comment could instill in a guillable individual.
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A good understanding have all those who keep his commandments". "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God and keep his commandments for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil". Ecc. 12:13-14. There is nothing you can do in secret that is not known. There is not even anything that you can think that is not known.
Anon

San Jose, CA

#17390 Jul 1, 2013
what will be will be
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17391 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A good understanding have all those who keep his commandments". "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God and keep his commandments for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment with every secret thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil". Ecc. 12:13-14. There is nothing you can do in secret that is not known. There is not even anything that you can think that is not known.
That's a very poor responce to my post Susan, and well you know it,,it's a cop out, a dodge,,please try again.

However your parting comment as to what is known has some merit.I know MY secrets, I know MY thoughts, I make the judgements on myself and live accordingly.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17392 Jul 1, 2013
Courtesy, AtheismUK....
From the funding appeal site:

Our mission is to teach children not what to think, but how to think.

If we teach children everything we know, their knowledge is limited to ours. If we teach children to think, their knowledge is limitless.

At The Cambodian Children’s Trust (CCT) we strive to give vulnerable Cambodian children the best chance at leading a happy, fulfilling, and successful life. Succeeding in life depends on our ability to solve the problems we encounter along the way.

Theravada Buddhism is (supposedly) practiced by around 95% of the Cambodian population. In reality however, behind the doors of Khmer Temples there lies belief in superstitions, with rituals, spirits, ghosts, gods, and sorcerers, which, it can be argued, injects immeasurable stress and fear into the lives of most Cambodians. In a country where corruption is widespread and 40% of the population live below the poverty line, it is vital that Cambodia’s children, its future leaders learn how to think for themselves, how to reason and how to be ethical and moral citizens. The future of Cambodia depends on it.

We will teach them to question. We will show them how to work out what is ethical or unethical (or somewhere in between). We will teach them to be able to identify flaws in arguments. We will educate them about the major religions and, with the skills they develop in this course, enable them to make up their own minds.

Studying ethics and philosophy will give children skills to use good thinking as the guide by which they live their lives.

http://welearn2think.org/
The Cambodian Children’s Trust (CCT)
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17393 Jul 1, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to mean well. I can tell you have a good heart. Just don't expect to make all of these claims without being questioned. Nothing you have said holds any weight. Much of it seems to be completely in your own mind made up by you without any reason behind it.
Being you do seem to have a good heart I would love to watch or be part of a discussion with you if you did have or think you have good reasons for your beliefs.
All of my theology comes from the OT which I believe to be the word of the living God. I am not a Christian and I am very grounded in my beliefs. I also had a vision of my own death almost 30 years ago, that's how I know there's a heaven. I also saw hell. My beliefs do not conform to any established religion including Judaism. There is some truth in all religions and I practice an eclectic mix of the Truth. Daniel 8:12 "...and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practiced, and prospered" I also call it the "Ministry of Truth" from George Orwells 1984 which was the "acceptable year of the Lord" Isaiah 61:2.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17394 Jul 1, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very poor responce to my post Susan, and well you know it,,it's a cop out, a dodge,,please try again.
However your parting comment as to what is known has some merit.I know MY secrets, I know MY thoughts, I make the judgements on myself and live accordingly.
I don't know how else to put it spider. God wants all of us to live forever, that's why she created us. God gave the Testimony, a covenant of life which if we follow we'll live. God created mankind because she was lonely and there's always room for one more.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17395 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how else to put it spider. God wants all of us to live forever, that's why she created us. God gave the Testimony, a covenant of life which if we follow we'll live. God created mankind because she was lonely and there's always room for one more.
Okay,,you tried,,so have I,,,stalemate.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17396 Jul 1, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>
People with Alzheimer's, and people with traumatic brain injuries, have already lost much of their identities.
There is no heaven, there is no hell, either concept is simply ludicrous. Somebody is jerking you around, to see who just look to your wallet.
I actually died, and there was nothing there beyond that last breath and heartbeat. Nothing, LOL! You were sleeping and dreaming, that's proof of life, not proof of an after-life.
The after life is exactly as real as all the before-life that everyone has not experienced.

I was not bothered in the least, during the approximately 13 billion years before I was born.

I will not be bothered for the time after I die.

In-between? I'm alive, and glad of it, too.

:)

And now this:(Universe song) " http://youtu.be/JWVshkVF0SY" ;

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17397 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how else to put it spider. God wants all of us to live forever, that's why she created us. God gave the Testimony, a covenant of life which if we follow we'll live. God created mankind because she was lonely and there's always room for one more.
Your deity mythology just isn't plausible.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17400 Jul 1, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Your deity mythology just isn't plausible.
You know nothing of my theology and doctrine.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17401 Jul 1, 2013
susanblange wrote:
You know nothing of my theology and doctrine.
You stated a portion of it here:
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>All of my theology comes from the OT which I believe to be the word of the living God. I am not a Christian and I am very grounded in my beliefs. I also had a vision of my own death almost 30 years ago, that's how I know there's a heaven. I also saw hell. My beliefs do not conform to any established religion including Judaism. There is some truth in all religions and I practice an eclectic mix of the Truth. Daniel 8:12 "...and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practiced, and prospered" I also call it the "Ministry of Truth" from George Orwells 1984 which was the "acceptable year of the Lord" Isaiah 61:2.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

And here:
susanblange wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

As a matter of fact the whole page, http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , details some of your theology and doctrine.

I've no doubt there are other aspects of your doctrine and theology on other pages too.

You even say this: susanblange wrote: "All of my theology comes from the OT which I believe to be the word of the living God."

You then go on to state that it isn't Judaism, and that you draw from other religions, too, which is somewhat of a contradiction, since you stated: "All of my theology comes from the OT".

So your theology comes from the OT, and you've made up a doctrine that you like. A salad bar doctrine, drawn form other doctrines and OT theology.

So, you have a doctrine that is chaotic, and a theology that isn't plausible.

hmmm...

You're a theist with an belief set that isn't plausible, like I said, but in different words.

Unless you like to clarify.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#17402 Jul 1, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhism and Hinduism are "Old religion" not that which came in past 1400 years.
You should root for Islam only, once you study it, you will forget all about sects and denominations.
No Islam will not face the same disintegration that Christianity witnessed.....there is no scope for St. Paul in Islam, who became the "Chief spokesperson" for Jesus, even when he did not meet Jesus, not learned anything from him or any of his chosen disciples.
basic teachings of Islam are still intact after 1400 years and shall remain till the end of the world.
It is people who have to make their choices as to accept it or not.
Then perhaps you might explain why this wiki page even exists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_schools...

If I had to guess, they are all True Muslims(tm). Once your enemies are vanquished, then you can go about the business of a religious civil war to settle what true Islam(tm) really is.

Now where else have I seen this in history? Oh yeah, Christians.

Let's try it again!
This time it's sure to work out better!
If not, well, there's bound to be another "prophet" and we can try it all over again!
and again.
and again.
and once more for old time's sake.

SSDD.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17403 Jul 1, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot answer on their behalf but I thought at least you could figure out what must have caused Christians to differ from Muslims given that both Christians and Muslims have mostly same religious opinions.
Since both religions have many common prophets I find Christians rejection of Muhammad(or Muslims' reverence of him) ironic.
One thing you should know MUQ. There must have been some criteria known to people of book before the Muhammad's declaration of prophet.Sadly,you do not know.You are rather pointing out criteria mentioned within Islam without comparing them with the ones that have been know prior its arrival.
How did you validate Muhammad's claims?
I think first you should ask Christians what is their criterion of a prophet of God is.

You discuss with them, find out their ways, then do with Jews and other religious people and then you should talk with me.

Because Islam is the youngest of all major world religions, so the elders have preference.

You look too much confused, asking me to answer for Christians and for Jews.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min ScientificReality 87,249
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Sat superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web