Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24099 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17300 Jun 29, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>So,hell is reserved just for wicked?
Yes, hell was made for Satan, for the enemies of God and for the wicked.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17301 Jun 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just making it up - you've never been there yourself, you don't know where it is or how to get to it.
There's no such thing as satan - its all in your head and only in your head.
Thankfully atheists don't fill their minds with such immature garbage.
You're right, I've never been to hell, but I have been to Heaven. Satan is just a name for the most wicked being who possesses the most power, control and influence. He is Adam.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17302 Jun 29, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
According to your belief, which of the two supposed final destinations has the greater amount of space for newcomers, Hell or Heaven ?
Neither heaven or hell are ever full. There is always room for one more.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17303 Jun 29, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds good, now explain why dead people would pretend to feel anything at all. Without a living carcass, there be no ability to feel a thing.
Nobody can rot forever, it is a process where rot only occurs as long as there is organic material which can rot. And believe it or not, breath being snuffed out, is dead, it doesn't continue to be snuffed.
The senses are a product of the mind, which can exist outside of the brain. The spirit includes the mind and consciousness. By "rotting" I just mean death and terror.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17304 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> At least you have a different version, and you disapprove more of wickedness than of free-thinking. That helps. I disagree with your theology, but at least it is less awful than the conventional version of Christianity. And depending on what you mean by wickedness, at least you seem to value being good (do you mean that goodness is being kind, or what?) rather than sharing some superstition or other.
Breath ends when we die - I see no reason to believe in any afterlife. I see no real threat of hell or promise of heaven or any afterlife at all.. I do not claim to know there is no such thing as an afterlife, just as I do not claim to know with ordinary evidence that there is no God, but there is good enough reason not to believe in either.
That does not necessarily make me hostile to you, if you believe in a good ethic of informed kindness. Ethics matter more than theology - bad theology matters when it leads to bad ethics.
The moral compass is derived from the 10 commandments. By "breath" I mean spirit and the energy that inhabits our bodies. It changes form when we die and exits our bodies. When we die, we lose weight and heat, both of these are associated with energy.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17305 Jun 29, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, although I regard cafeteria types as being dishonest to themselves and not wanting to admit that their own moral views and that of modern society are inconsistent with biblical/koranic ethics.
Well, since neither of us wants a biblical/quoranic society?

I'd much rather deal with a hypocrite who's hypocrisy is simply ignoring 99% of the bullshit that these ugly books sell.

And trying to do the best they are able with the 1% that's left.

Most folk, within limits, are reasonably decent folk.

So long as their neighbors are not all **that** different, of course.

We cannot have **diversity** can we?

<laughing at the irony>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17306 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> a very nice definition of hell is separation from - distance from - lack of contact with - God. For us agnostics and atheists, and others who dislike the God of the Bible and most religions, such a hell would be a nicer place than a place near to a nasty God would be.
We would also appreciate being separated from the nasty believers in a nasty god, and from the stupid ones.
We might regret separation from the really nice but dumb ones, who were ethical in many cases, except for believing in a notnice God.
Yes. This.

Excellent summary description of why a hell-threat-- even if hell were not myth-- does not work on rationalists.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17307 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Funny. I like this Pope better than Pope Ratty. I do not expect him to be a good reformer on many issues, but if he is better on some - like Pope Joh 23rd was - then good for him. Consider what a nonsense tradition he is coming from, and how far they have to go. Every little bit helps. Much as I would like to see the whole edifice of Christian doctrine come crashing down, I don't expect it to happen. Little chips away here, little crashes there, little revelations of wrong-doing continuing endlessly, more education of more people - whatever works. Even nicer people inside the church itself, in high places - or better organized lay persons who stand for more decent ethics and doctrines - whatever helps. sort of like with the 2-party system in the US, it cannot be made excellent all at once, considering where it came from.
Have you seen the latest scandal out of Vatican City?

It appears to consist of an underage prostitution ring of some sort...

...!!

Hardly surprising, really--considering the near-past, but it's not a good thing for their long-term viability.

Which, come to think of it, is progress.

It's a damn shame that children had to be abused to reach that goal, though...

... kids always seem to get the brunt of evil.

Especially **religious** evil...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17308 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are too optimistic. Lots of ordinary nutcases will give money to the rightwing elements in all the religious groups. And the GOP following the Tom Delay formula has an alliance of religious rightwing nuts, economic crooks, and opportunistic demagogue politicians like Issa and Cruz. The Governors and legislatures are playing the anti-abortion card (not pro-life, or they would be anti-war and pro-environment) everywhere they can, and appealing to their hateful rightwing supporters, and to stupid women who are anti-abortion for reasons that may be kind enough in intent, but who do not look beyond the demagogue tactics to see that the rightwingers are not really pro-life, in that they do not support prenatal health care, or food or care for mothers, babies, children. As Birch Bayh said long ago, the anti-abortion people (and states) are the ones with least concern for poor children after they are born.
The Republican Machine has as it's major asset, a "Ministry of Truth" (aka Orwell).

So long as that systematic engine of lies exists?

The Republican Machine will keep thundering along, confusing it's followers with manufactured lies, and keeping them all suppressed to actual reality.

Sickening.

But proof of it's effectiveness? Is any woman who continues to vote Republican, after these last few years.

The Rethugs have introduced more than 200 bills attempting to limit or eliminate women's rights.

But not one bill that would generate new jobs....!

Any woman who votes Republican after that track record? Is severely oppressed...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17309 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> wow. I would not dare to attack a Muslim on topix. There might be an extremist who would punish my town. You need to post from someplace in Oklahoma where everyone is a nutcase rightwinger, and then get out of town.
:)

I've been hammering against the pedophile-prophet for several years running.

So far? Nothing generated but some laughs.

Topix simply isn't that large an audience.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17310 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> of course. I appreciate your comments. you are moderate in the best sense of the word - not the wimpy sense, but the civil sense.
I do attempt to see the central ground.

One of the people I admire most, was called The Great Compromiser: Ben Franklin.

Compromise represents (to me) the **best** in people-- it's an admission that a single point of view cannot prevail over all the other, competing points of view.

Or to be simpler still?

Compromise represents the ultimate in social cooperation.

One reason why I oppose religion in government? Is because there can be no cooperation with the statement:

"God Said Thus"

The **only** response, apart from agreement, is "No He Didn't".

You cannot compromise with religious zeal.

You can only oppose it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17311 Jun 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, hell was made for Satan, for the enemies of God and for the wicked.
Not even Satan deserves infinite torture.

Nothing a finite being can do, deserves infinite torture.

Torture is what **evil** beings engage in.

To even create a place of torment (torture)? Means the creator is evil.

No two ways around **that** one.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17312 Jun 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell is not torture but it is terror. Satan (the Messiahs' father) is responsible for the "crucifixion" and there's no end to his abuse. That is the main reason his punishment will last forever. He has been trying to kill the Messiah ever since and takes great pleasure in human suffering. He is a sexual sadist.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17313 Jun 29, 2013
Time for your shock therapy freak?
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, I've never been to hell, but I have been to Heaven. Satan is just a name for the most wicked being who possesses the most power, control and influence. He is Adam.

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17314 Jun 29, 2013
Exactly plus it's silly as the NT writers clearly stole it from the Greek Hellenistic religion anyways. Well much of the bible is stolen from other cultures so nothing new there.
<quoted text>Not even Satan deserves infinite torture.

MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#17315 Jun 29, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
What I want to know is that whether those criteria were known even before birth of Muhammad.You haven't cleared that doubt yet.
Subjective opinions are OK.Even there is division among Muslims due to differences in approach towards Islam.
If it is mere subjective opinions of Christians and Jews against Muhammad would there not be any reasonable argument in favor of Muhammad?
I cannot answer that, but since prophets were coming to different nations, they must have used these criterion to find out who is a true prophet of God and who is not.

In reality the test is so simple that it becomes a very simple task to find out who is a true prophet of God and who is not.

People usually reject the prophets after knowing fully well inside their hearts that he is a prophet of God.

Are you ready?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17316 Jun 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Hell is not torture but it is terror.
Whatever-- tom-AY-to, tom-AAH-to. Same thing, slightly different wordage is all.

Torture, regardless of your spelling-choices, is still torture.

And still evil-- the god you believe in?

Evil.

Period.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17317 Jun 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Exactly plus it's silly as the NT writers clearly stole it from the Greek Hellenistic religion anyways. Well much of the bible is stolen from other cultures so nothing new there.
<quoted text>
It's all just a re-hashed shytstorm of ugly myths.

That's all that any religion is, after all-- not a damn thing new about the whole lot.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17318 Jun 29, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot answer that, but since prophets were coming to different nations, they must have used these criterion to find out who is a true prophet of God and who is not.
In reality the test is so simple that it becomes a very simple task to find out who is a true prophet of God and who is not.
People usually reject the prophets after knowing fully well inside their hearts that he is a prophet of God.
Are you ready?
Yes we are ready for you to condemn your religion for its treatment of little girls.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17319 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
What about Osama Bin Laden?

Does he deserve eternal punishment?

When would you sign for his pardon papers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 14 min Eagle 12 141
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 36 min Chimney1 43,191
Atheism is a mental illness 1 hr Eagle 12 7
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 256,555
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 18,514
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 2 hr Eagle 12 751
Good arguments against Christianity 2 hr Eagle 12 202
A Universe from Nothing? 2 hr u196533dm 510
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 12 hr Thinking 5,688
More from around the web