Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

LCN Llin

United States

#17280 Jun 29, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
In your imagination.
Hasty generalization is an informal fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence¬ó essentially making a hasty conclusion without considering all of the variables.
LCN Llin

United States

#17281 Jun 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
And he has been kindly warned about that several times.
<quoted text>
LOL
LCN Llin

United States

#17282 Jun 29, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I would describe it as a stolen myth from the Hellenistic religion but hey I go on facts.
<quoted text>
LOL
Our resident authority seems oblivious to the fact that essays or other course writing assignments, journal entries should still construct a coherent narrative, use complete sentences, be grammatically correct, and be scholarly in tone.

Since: Mar 12

Pune, India

#17283 Jun 29, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now we know where all the godbots are going.
LOL!At least Christian hell spares us.
spider

Soham, UK

#17284 Jun 29, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to Hell.
If such a place existed in reality, you would likely find yourself on the list of potential inhabitants,,,but would you understand why.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17285 Jun 29, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hasty generalization is an informal fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence¬ó essentially making a hasty conclusion without considering all of the variables.
have a nice time with Skeptic. He is not my sort of atheist. He has all sorts of faults. But at least he is an atheist and not a silly superstitious person regarding religion at least. He does seem to have a rather silly fantasy about his own superiority, but I have not noticed yet that he has called himself God.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17286 Jun 29, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
If such a place existed in reality, you would likely find yourself on the list of potential inhabitants,,,but would you understand why.
that was to someone who threatened Skeptic with hell. Merely threatening Skeptic with hell is not sufficient reason to send someone to hell. It would depend on the reason, and whether the threat also applies to others. I would need to know what other persons that person threatened with hell, and for what reason. If it is for being an atheist , then it is a stupid and vicious threat; if it is for the using the f word, then I do not mind so much if someone threatens Skeptic or anyone else with hell, for varying periods of time, depending on frequency and nastiness of usage.

luckily, apparently neither you nor I believe in an actual hell. I do think that there is a sort of hellish outer existence sometimes in extreme heat and in horrible life circumstances, and a sort of interior hellish existence in the sort of emotions people are feeling when they are full of hate, malice, etc. Hell is OK as a metaphor.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17287 Jun 29, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!At least Christian hell spares us.
a very nice definition of hell is separation from - distance from - lack of contact with - God. For us agnostics and atheists, and others who dislike the God of the Bible and most religions, such a hell would be a nicer place than a place near to a nasty God would be.

We would also appreciate being separated from the nasty believers in a nasty god, and from the stupid ones.

We might regret separation from the really nice but dumb ones, who were ethical in many cases, except for believing in a notnice God.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17288 Jun 29, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Warning Skpetic - kindly or otherwise - is not likely to get him to be a reformed character. Not with the sort of reform you would like to see in him, and not with the very different sort of reform (civility and modesty) that I would like to see in him.

I am an agnostic atheist, and not pleased with selfproclaimed knowitall atheists who denounce everyone else and claim superiority. There are nice persons who are believers, even if I think their God is not very nice. And there are not nice persons who are non-believers. What matters is being a kind person, mostly.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17289 Jun 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't describe hell as torture but it is terror. It is solitary confinement, darkness and freezing cold. Nobody rots forever in hell except Satan. If you go there, eventually your spirit (breath) will be snuffed out (drowned) and you will cease to exist. Only the wicked go to hell, right now it doesn't matter what you believe about God.
At least you have a different version, and you disapprove more of wickedness than of free-thinking. That helps. I disagree with your theology, but at least it is less awful than the conventional version of Christianity. And depending on what you mean by wickedness, at least you seem to value being good (do you mean that goodness is being kind, or what?) rather than sharing some superstition or other.

Breath ends when we die - I see no reason to believe in any afterlife. I see no real threat of hell or promise of heaven or any afterlife at all.. I do not claim to know there is no such thing as an afterlife, just as I do not claim to know with ordinary evidence that there is no God, but there is good enough reason not to believe in either.

That does not necessarily make me hostile to you, if you believe in a good ethic of informed kindness. Ethics matter more than theology - bad theology matters when it leads to bad ethics.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17290 Jun 29, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Hhow do you know ?
I think she believes that and thinks she knows - just like many other people think they know when they only believe. Even atheists who think they know when they only disbelieve.

I am an agnostic atheist, and do not claim to know.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17291 Jun 29, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Writers should write objectively and inclusively to receive respect and trust from readers, as well as to avoid alienating readers. To be objective means to write with curiosity, rather than having a preset opinion, and to engage with research, rather than presenting a personal preference.
your lectures to Skeptic are delightful. I don't know your views, however.

Have you seen my comments, and how do you react to them? Obviously I have a feud on with Skeptic, mostly over his arrogance and obscenity - and though I am an atheist, I am an agnostic atheist, and not hostile to believers who have a "kindness ethic" and are not full of threats of hell to non believers, or other complete nonsense or evil doctrines (such as salvation by belief in blood sacrifice).
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17292 Jun 29, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I must admit that I am paying a bit of attention to this pope. It's like getting caught up in a soap opera.
How far will he go?
Can he scrape beyond the surface and drain the pus that is infecting the Vatican?
Or will the Cardinals assassinate him so that they can inherit the wealth and keep riding the gravy train?
Tune in tomorrow!
But first a word from our sponsor...
Funny. I like this Pope better than Pope Ratty. I do not expect him to be a good reformer on many issues, but if he is better on some - like Pope Joh 23rd was - then good for him. Consider what a nonsense tradition he is coming from, and how far they have to go. Every little bit helps. Much as I would like to see the whole edifice of Christian doctrine come crashing down, I don't expect it to happen. Little chips away here, little crashes there, little revelations of wrong-doing continuing endlessly, more education of more people - whatever works. Even nicer people inside the church itself, in high places - or better organized lay persons who stand for more decent ethics and doctrines - whatever helps. sort of like with the 2-party system in the US, it cannot be made excellent all at once, considering where it came from.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17293 Jun 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A positive thing.
Once the financial base is removed? The entrenched power-structures will fall.
I think you are too optimistic. Lots of ordinary nutcases will give money to the rightwing elements in all the religious groups. And the GOP following the Tom Delay formula has an alliance of religious rightwing nuts, economic crooks, and opportunistic demagogue politicians like Issa and Cruz. The Governors and legislatures are playing the anti-abortion card (not pro-life, or they would be anti-war and pro-environment) everywhere they can, and appealing to their hateful rightwing supporters, and to stupid women who are anti-abortion for reasons that may be kind enough in intent, but who do not look beyond the demagogue tactics to see that the rightwingers are not really pro-life, in that they do not support prenatal health care, or food or care for mothers, babies, children. As Birch Bayh said long ago, the anti-abortion people (and states) are the ones with least concern for poor children after they are born.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17294 Jun 29, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Cafeteria religious people.Pick and choose which one of god's edicts to follow.
better a wise choice at a cafeteria than gorging on the poison of consuming the whole thing. there are a few decent ethics in various religions. far better to concentrate on those, and even to form alliances across religious lines - even between believers and non-believers in religion - on the important ethics. give up the poisonous theologies and doctrines.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17295 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
And neither you, nor your pedophile moohumund qualify.
A child-raper like moohumund is simply not moral enough.
wow. I would not dare to attack a Muslim on topix. There might be an extremist who would punish my town. You need to post from someplace in Oklahoma where everyone is a nutcase rightwinger, and then get out of town.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17296 Jun 29, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly the Muslim men. They love to bash western society while indulging in the very behavior that they condemn. A few Muslim women from moderate societies do it to.
While you are criticizing Muslim men, please also criticize all the American men in the military and in civilian life who are rapists and stalkers, and haters of women and abusers of children, etc. The battle of civilizations so called should be a battle against the disgusting elements in each culture.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#17297 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I'd much rather deal with a liberal cafeteria sort, than the fundies who are full of hate, though.
of course. I appreciate your comments. you are moderate in the best sense of the word - not the wimpy sense, but the civil sense.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#17298 Jun 29, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I just know. This I did make up. It just offers an explanation to the existence of heaven and hell.
"I just know" means you make it all up and ignore reality.
spider

Cambridge, UK

#17299 Jun 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I think she believes that and thinks she knows - just like many other people think they know when they only believe. Even atheists who think they know when they only disbelieve.
I am an agnostic atheist, and do not claim to know.
There is an answer, find yourself an atheist medium and have a little chat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min positronium 87,273
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Sat superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web