Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24099 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Dak-Original

Belfast, UK

#17196 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
No all of those religions have also spread across the world and have played a role in world history.
We have no proof whatsoever that Muhammad even existed let alone did and said as the Quran states.
<quoted text>
Both Muhammed and Christ existed but then yarns of myths and concocted tales have been used by the immediate followers to have sway on the converts and potential converts.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#17197 Jun 26, 2013
Right and if they cannot live peacefully amongst themselves they have no chance of becoming the dominant religion.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>More muslim on muslim violence:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/16/poli...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17198 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Time for your shock therapy?
<quoted text>
Psalm 38:& "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease, and there is no soundness in my flesh".
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17199 Jun 26, 2013
Psalm 38:7

United States

#17200 Jun 26, 2013
Yes you belch that tired old line from the myth often. You realize it just makes a jackass out of your right?
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Psalm 38:& "For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease, and there is no soundness in my flesh".
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17201 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes you belch that tired old line from the myth often. You realize it just makes a jackass out of your right?
<quoted text>
Scripture fulfilled. If you know it, why do you keep making derogatory and abusive comments? Creativity and intellect can cause mental illness.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17202 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Right and if they cannot live peacefully amongst themselves they have no chance of becoming the dominant religion.
<quoted text>
Except perhaps by over-breeding? Who knows, but I guess thats one possible future.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17203 Jun 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go thru the list of qualities of True Prophets of God, you will find that no one has come forward in past 1400 years.
Which qualities are these? Being a primtive goat herder? Owning slaves and slave-concubines? Maybe insanely killing infidels? Your "prophets" are a complete joke.

Since: Mar 12

Thane, India

#17204 Jun 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
When you go thru the list of qualities of True Prophets of God, you will find that no one has come forward in past 1400 years.
No Major religion came into the world during that period. The so called new religions like Sikhism. Qadiani, Bahaism amd Mormon are very much localized affairs, having no impact to the world history.
So claer your mind of all such bias and be open minded. Unless you have open mind, no amount of reason and logic can help you.
You haven't answered my questions,MUQ.Now you have added an extra criterion that a prophet must have a global impact.
Considering this to be true,how does it prove that Muhammad was indeed last prophet?Since,Judaism is no more a major religion,does this mean Moses was a fake prophet?
I have shown no close mindedness.I am just following your replies and questioning accordingly.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17205 Jun 26, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering this to be true,how does it prove that Muhammad was indeed last prophet?
Its circular reasoning. The bible / quran says this or that. The bible/ quran is the world of God. We know this cause it says its true.

All this proves is that Muq is brainwashed into a particular religion :)

Henderson, KY

#17206 Jun 26, 2013
Perhaps because you belch the same tired passage 19 times a day?

What are you autistic and never learned another scripture?
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Scripture fulfilled. If you know it, why do you keep making derogatory and abusive comments? Creativity and intellect can cause mental illness.

Henderson, KY

#17207 Jun 26, 2013
Nah won't work because we see as Muslims move into more civilized societies they either calm down, stop attending mosques or leave Islam all together after a few generations in many cases.

I know a guy who is a Muslim in name only. He has never read the Quran and never goes to a mosque, celebrates Christmas and has a Christian GF. He will say if family is around that he is a Muslim but that's about it.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Except perhaps by over-breeding? Who knows, but I guess thats one possible future.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17208 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
..we see as Muslims move into more civilized societies they either calm down, stop attending mosques or leave Islam ..<quoted text>
But most Muslims and Christians are in the developing world, where religion numbers are growing. I can see we will end up with a polarised world with secularism in the west and far east, and religion continuing to hold the people of Africa, Middle East and South America.
rio

Bromley, UK

#17209 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Nah won't work because we see as Muslims move into more civilized societies they either calm down, stop attending mosques or leave Islam all together after a few generations in many cases.
I know a guy who is a Muslim in name only. He has never read the Quran and never goes to a mosque, celebrates Christmas and has a Christian GF. He will say if family is around that he is a Muslim but that's about it.
<quoted text>
This is why the chance that "Islam is going to take over Europe" is a myth. But people won't abandon their culture though ...
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#17210 Jun 26, 2013
I agree.

I used to sit next to a really funny one who ate at his work desk all through Ramadan. "It's OK, I've closed the blinds!"

He still doesn't eat pork, but he likes a drink and he's got no intention whatsoever of putting a rag on his little girl's head.
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
henry

Rosa, Germany

#17211 Jun 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Indeed, women in the bible are painted out to be more evil than all the tyrants combined!
<quoted text>
In Religions women are just less than whole human being. The worst example is the Islam, but discriminations are commomn theme of all religions. This is barbaric!
henry

Rosa, Germany

#17212 Jun 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The Messiah is the second and seed of Eve. Isaiah 53:6 "...the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all". The Messiah will not die for the sin of man, the Messiah will die because of the sin of man. Eve and the Messiah will be blamed for all the sin in the world.
In a modern world this is a crime!
henry

Rosa, Germany

#17213 Jun 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
When women get educated, religion declines.
<quoted text>
To educate women is of course a must Long overdue for the human race!
henry

Rosa, Germany

#17214 Jun 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
When women get educated, religion declines.
<quoted text>
The Bible belt hus the duty to help women for an equal education!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17215 Jun 26, 2013
http://whc2014.org.uk/
World humanist conference to be held in Oxford, England.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/06/25/pol...
"Twenty-five per cent of young people said they believed in God, 19% believed in a non-Godlike 'spiritual greater power' and 38% were atheists who didn't believe in any greater spiritual power."
'Spiritual power'? I didn't think young people in the UK were that superstitious.

The poll was conducted for the Sun newspaper so should be treated with even more caution than such statistics ordinarily warrant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 min IB DaMann 3,833
A Universe from Nothing? 11 min IB DaMann 475
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min IB DaMann 43,145
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Chazofsaints 696
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Chazofsaints 5,677
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr thetruth 10,048
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr thetruth 4,818
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Thinking 18,492
More from around the web