Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23770 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

LNC Llin

United States

#17153 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is often the case, sadly, I cannot disagree there. Almost all posts containing true profanity are, in fact, troll posts. However, what is profanity? Many people think it's a set of specific words, such as words filtered by many websites and even the mainstream media. But in reality, a word like "humbug" is truly more insulting, when used properly, of course, but any and all words can be profane, for profanity is simply a word misused, or used for any purpose other than what it was intended for. The most profane words I have heard in many conversations is the word "like," used so many times in ways for which the word is inappropriate. One of the more common ones online is "fag," which has nothing to do with homosexuality in reality. I prefer to read things which are not only correctly worded, but also poetic.
A person who uses occasional profanity may receive attention.
If every other word in a post is profane,... not so much.
Over use of the word "like" is amusing and irritating at times.
Do you read Shakespeare?
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17154 Jun 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I think you have not gone thru the list!!
Certainly you would be considered a "prophet" if you fulfill these criterions!!
Here are some of the criteria of your prophets..

lying
stealing
murder
pedophilia
slavery
barbarity
superstition
stupidity

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17155 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you read Shakespeare?
When we want to become dishonest cowards with no proof of god, we will give you Lincoln, a call.

If you havent been banned by then yet.

Atheists converted = 0.

Since: Mar 12

Mumbai, India

#17156 Jun 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I think you have not gone thru the list!!
Certainly you would be considered a "prophet" if you fulfill these criterions!!
But there is one more item in that list, The door of prophethood was closed 1400 years ago!!
Any one claiming to be a prophet has to be a liar!!
There have been many attempts for people to become "prophets"….they were all false prophets.
If you want to add your name to the list of false prophets, please come forward.
PS:
If you conform to the teachings of our prophet, the "last thing" in your mind will be to take the mantle!!
How can one confirm if Muhammad was indeed the last prophet and that no can succeed him to take him the title of being last prophet away from him?Can't that be a corruption in your scriptures?What discards this possibility and unequivocally proves your statement to be correct?
Secondly,what about the people who had claimed to be the Redeemer?
Doesn't Islam endorses the resurrection of Jesus?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#17157 Jun 24, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you read Shakespeare?
Not anymore, I find his work very primitive and lacking imagination, but that was the time he lived. Mostly his linguistic structure is lacking as well. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors, Asimov is the other, I can never decide which is the best. Fun note, Asimov often referred to Lovecraft's works and called him an inspiration, but Stephen King just blatantly ripped off a lot of Lovecraft's works. Another fun note, Lovecraft was a science fiction author, not a horror or fantasy author, he just described the technologies and such of alien species, and the species themselves, as if from a 1940's perspective, to ensure the reader of any era would know how alien it was suppose to be, which frightened a lot of people in that time.
LNC Llin

United States

#17158 Jun 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not anymore, I find his work very primitive and lacking imagination, but that was the time he lived. Mostly his linguistic structure is lacking as well. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors, Asimov is the other, I can never decide which is the best. Fun note, Asimov often referred to Lovecraft's works and called him an inspiration, but Stephen King just blatantly ripped off a lot of Lovecraft's works. Another fun note, Lovecraft was a science fiction author, not a horror or fantasy author, he just described the technologies and such of alien species, and the species themselves, as if from a 1940's perspective, to ensure the reader of any era would know how alien it was suppose to be, which frightened a lot of people in that time.
Will look for Lovecraft and read more of Asimov.
Thanks

“My name is Trunks...”

Since: Jun 10

the alternate future

#17159 Jun 24, 2013
I like Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. A downright hilarious read it is.
AtheistChris

Ashland, KY

#17160 Jun 24, 2013
Even if religion died out someday, people would create religion. Some people just can't live without it, it gives some people hope for the future.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#17161 Jun 24, 2013
AtheistChris wrote:
Even if religion died out someday, people would create religion. Some people just can't live without it, it gives some people hope for the future.
It also gives us hope in our death. If it wasn't for God directly intervening in human affairs 29 years ago, we would've gone up in a nuclear holocaust. But God is "forgotten as a dead man out of mind" and we don't think we need her anymore.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#17162 Jun 24, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you find it important to get your point across? Does it make your delusion seem more real if you get others to agree with you? That's why I find atheism a religion of coercion, brain washing, and mental trauma.
Atheists are just not reasonable.
Aye, your description of atheism almost matches mine of Godbots; IMHO, Godbots MUST posses a brain to wash.
LNC Llin

United States

#17163 Jun 24, 2013
Lelouch0 wrote:
I like Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy. A downright hilarious read it is.
Enjoyable

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17164 Jun 24, 2013
AtheistChris wrote:
Religion will always exist, as long as there are ignorant, arrogant judgemental people willing to inflict their mental illness upon others.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17165 Jun 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Prove Muhammad ( if he even existed) didn't just make the whole thing up.
<quoted text>
Well, it's easily as believable as the Amazing Tale™ from Joseph Smith...

... <laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17166 Jun 24, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason killing was so prominent is because infidels like you enabled it and made God use that option to prove who He was.
Infidels like you pulled the trigger for that option to come about because they were stubborn , evil, wicked , and stupid , JUST LIKE YOU.
Your irresponsible actions today even lead to death and destruction as you cause agony across the globe with your demonic teachings.
You embrace wickedness , you choose wickedness,......
There were good reasons. You just can't admit it was because of low-life infidels as yourself, since your religious Satanic cult teaches deceit and lies.
Your Jesus,(were he real) would say to you: "Satan, get thee behind me! I do not know you."

(you are unworthy of a more considered reply-- I'm just reminding you of your rampant and obvious hypocrisy)

Since: Mar 11

United States

#17167 Jun 25, 2013
Lol!

Not to mention Muhammad was a huge hypocrite telling other Muslims they can only have four wives while he had 12! And worse he forced his brother not to take a second wife after he married Muhammad's own daughter... Incest!!!

Ewwwwww!!
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it's easily as believable as the Amazing Tale™ from Joseph Smith...

... <laughing>
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17168 Jun 25, 2013
Too little, too late...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/12/us-...
"Pope Francis has acknowledged the existence of a "gay lobby" and a "stream of corruption" in the Vatican, according to reports in Catholic media not denied by the Vatican."
It's daft to encourage dogma, sectarianism and superstition and to 'remain loyal' to crappy institutions that generate more disgust than respect. Better to have some self-respect.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17169 Jun 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
..It's daft to encourage dogma, sectarianism and superstition and to 'remain loyal' to crappy institutions that generate more disgust than respect. Better to have some self-respect.
Agreed. The remarks from da Pope show his homophobia. He admit a gay lobby exists but equates it to corruption. They are very bigoted people often hiding deep seated fears over their own sexuality.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17170 Jun 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol!
Not to mention Muhammad was a huge hypocrite telling other Muslims they can only have four wives while he had 12!<quoted text>
Plus two or three slave-concubines.

I feel sorry for these "prophets", with all those mothers in law :D

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#17171 Jun 25, 2013
Lol nah if the mother in law have any lip she would be beheaded or flogged.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Plus two or three slave-concubines.

I feel sorry for these "prophets", with all those mothers in law :D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17172 Jun 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Too little, too late...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/12/us-...
"Pope Francis has acknowledged the existence of a "gay lobby" and a "stream of corruption" in the Vatican, according to reports in Catholic media not denied by the Vatican."
It's daft to encourage dogma, sectarianism and superstition and to 'remain loyal' to crappy institutions that generate more disgust than respect. Better to have some self-respect.
I suspect this pope is not long for the title, either.

The world-wide phenomena of marriage equality is growing, and rapidly.

Vatican city will eventually bow to the inevitable, or hemorrhage huge piles of cash as members go elsewhere.

Even here in the USA, there is a largish faction of catholics crying for a break with Rome, and establishing their own hierarchy specifically for the Americas.

Lots of lovely historical precedent for this move, too.

I have some excellent popcorn at the ready, in anticipation.

<laughing>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 5 min ChristineM 50,915
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 min scientia potentia... 11,208
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 15 min superwilly 333
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr ChristineM 9,560
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr scientia potentia... 29,397
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Patrick 254,884
Atheism is not a belief 3 hr Scout 185
More from around the web