Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#17107 Jun 22, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing hasty generalization.
Soon the clone will appear with a few profanities.
LOL
There's no point changing your username Lincoln, Topix knows your IP address.

Thats how you get banned Lincoln.
LNC Llin

United States

#17108 Jun 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no point changing your username Lincoln, Topix knows your IP address.
Thats how you get banned Lincoln.
Amusing
The clone appeared without the usual profanities. Progress?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17109 Jun 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
A True religion is based on Revelation of God and teachings of a true prophet of God.

Are their religion based on revelation and teachings of true prophets of God?
Yes, religion is revelation, i.e. superstition
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/divine+revel...

But for religion to succeed they need to get 'em while their young - "give me a boy under 7..."

Is religious faith a mental illness? Not exactly. It's mass delusion....

https://www.google.co.uk/search...

And all the pilgrims killed in India recently..
http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/whe...

But god(s) take no responsibility, just mindless worship....
"We spent the night chanting praying to lord Shiva,” he recalled. Shiva is the Hindu god of destruction."
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#17110 Jun 22, 2013
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#17111 Jun 22, 2013
Faith is a vice pretending to be a virtue, its lies and errors and frothy nonsense deluding us and distracting us from action. There's no salvation in wishful thinking, only inertia. Faith is the enemy of reason. The one thing every single one of us here must be united in despising is faith. It's the barren refuge of the vacuous, the fearful, the frauds, and the obstacles to accomplishment.
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#17112 Jun 22, 2013
If you think that your belief is based upon reason, you will support it by argument, rather then by persecution, and will abandon it if the argument goes against you. But if your belief is based on faith, you will realize that argument is useless, and will therefore resort to force either in the form of persecution or by stunting and distorting the minds of the young in what is called "education". This last is particularly dastardly, since it takes advantage of the defencelessness of immature minds. Unfortunately it is practiced in greater or less degree in the(religious) schools of every civilised country
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#17113 Jun 22, 2013
and may i add barbarically in the middle east!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17114 Jun 22, 2013
idiot Savant wrote:
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
I think it's important always to distinguish between faith based on evidence and reason and religious faith..
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/faith

Faith that a bridge won't give way is based on experience and reasonable probability. Religious beliefs are an act of faith unsupported by sound evidence or reason.
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#17116 Jun 22, 2013
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17117 Jun 22, 2013
http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/news/welcoming_...

It is still not right to teach children they should 'develop my beliefs' as this might be seen to imply that someone should have a 'set of beliefs', which isn't the most rational way to look at the concept of 'belief'.

There is no clear reason for any non-believer-in-god(s) to have a 'set of beliefs'. It makes more sense to get them to promise that they will only believe anything as far as the belief is justified by reason and evidence, but such a promise isn't justified anyway.

For me, belief is something to be challenged and justified. A set of beliefs' means nothing to me.

And I wouldn't swear to 'serve the Queen' even if I were in favour of keeping the Monarchy. The promise is still out of date and pointlessly divisive. It's not something helpful to teach our children.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#17118 Jun 22, 2013

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#17119 Jun 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
A True religion is based on Revelation of God and teachings of a true prophet of God.
Since islam satisfies both these conditions, it is a true religion.
QED
PS:
Now can I ask the same questions, with the followers of other religions?
Are their religion based on revelation and teachings of true prophets of God?
The true prophet of God, would be that guy who drops trou every time he sees a toddler girl?.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17120 Jun 23, 2013
KK wrote:
All religions have "revelations from [god]," this is not a difference, this does not make your religion stand out at all.
Ans.

That was not what I said, I said that true religions are "based" on revelation and teachings of their prophet.

Having revelation and religions being based on that are two different things.

To my limited knowledge Islam is the "only" religion in the world which is based on revelation and teachings of a True Prophet of God.

Other religions have revelation from God and prophets, but their religion (in their current form) is not based on them.

Allah Knows Best.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17121 Jun 23, 2013
FS wrote:
OK. Who is a prophet and how would you confirm whether a person who claims themselves to be a prophet is true or not and that their teachings are based on messages received from a supernatural power?

How does Muhammad fulfill the criteria of being true? Explain.

PS:I am not a religious person and do not represent any religious group. I hope that question is directed towards Non-Muslim religious people in this forum.
Ans.

Prophets are the persons appointed by God to act as guides for their people.

God sends His guidance to prophets thru angels and they teach that to their people.

And prophets also present themselves as role models as to how to act on these guidelines.

The foremost proof of genuineness of a prophet lies in their teachings. Most important of which is Worship only one God, do not associate any partner with him and do not worship false gods or idols, trees, sun, moon and other stars etc.

Then prophet' teach us morality and exalted behaviour in every thing.

How to perform our duties towards our Creator, our Parents and our kinfolks. How to deal with other humans.

These teachings separate a prophet from any social reformer or philosophers or Kings and Political leaders etc.

It is a big topic and I do not know, If you have the patience to go thru it step by step.

If you follow these criterion, you can very easily find out if X, Y or Z is a true prophet of God or not.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17122 Jun 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
That was not what I said, I said that true religions are "based" on revelation and teachings of their prophet.
Having revelation and religions being based on that are two different things.
To my limited knowledge Islam is the "only" religion in the world which is based on revelation and teachings of a True Prophet of God.
Other religions have revelation from God and prophets, but their religion (in their current form) is not based on them.
Allah Knows Best.
That's right allah k nows the best ways to abuse, rape and murder little girls.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#17123 Jun 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
To show them how to abuse, rape and murder little girls.

Mumbai, India

#17124 Jun 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
God sends His guidance to prophets thru angels and they teach that to their people.
And prophets also present themselves as role models as to how to act on these guidelines.
The foremost proof of genuineness of a prophet lies in their teachings. Most important of which is Worship only one God, do not associate any partner with him and do not worship false gods or idols, trees, sun, moon and other stars etc.
How to perform our duties towards our Creator, our Parents and our kinfolks. How to deal with other humans.
These teachings separate a prophet from any social reformer or philosophers or Kings and Political leaders etc.
It is a big topic and I do not know, If you have the patience to go thru it step by step.
If you follow these criterion, you can very easily find out if X, Y or Z is a true prophet of God or not.
So one has to fulfill these criteria to be accepted as prophet.
So,basically anyone who conforms according to Muhammad's teaching and teaches the same to others would be declared as prophet;is this what you trying to say?
So, if I preach the same things would I be declared as prophet?

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17125 Jun 23, 2013
Prove Muhammad ( if he even existed) didn't just make the whole thing up.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

LNC Llin

United States

#17126 Jun 23, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Prove Muhammad ( if he even existed) didn't just make the whole thing up.
<quoted text>
circular

Since: Mar 11

Henderson, KY

#17127 Jun 23, 2013
How so? Oh that's right you don't understand English enough because if you did, you would see how much of a jackass you just made of yourself.

Thanks for the laughs idiot!
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>circular

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 23 min Passion of the Ma... 1,684
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 28 min Larry Magne 521
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 35 min Rondo 52,385
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 50 min Ian McFarland 11,462
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 22,192
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 24,919
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 4 hr Kaarlo 231
More from around the web