Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24064 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Siro

Auburn, Australia

#17022 Jun 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If you're feeling hungry, why not have a bacon sandwich?
<quoted text>
Are you asking me to a threesome where we dp your wife?
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#17023 Jun 20, 2013
How little islamists respect women...
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you asking me to a threesome where we dp your wife?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#17024 Jun 20, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhh....teh h8! teh h8!
And yet you lot take stories out of the OT, NT and Koran which describe violence and label all believers as being guilty of whatever transgressions may have occurred.
No... No I do not. I assume you mean "you" like "you atheists". If not, please inform me what I said and possibly where I've said it.

I will, however, point out the violence in the bible and use it as an example of why it is not a good book to live by. That being said... I would not say that all believers are guilty of these things that have occurred. That would be bigotry.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
You lot say that the holy books are all BS and then use them to proclaim us guilty of crimes mentioned in them.
So by your own judgments (which you deem to be infallible) you deem us guilty based on books which you say are lies but claim they are evidence.
I also do not "deem" my own judgements as infallible. I would want to imagine at this point that you have me confused with someone else... But I assume the reality is that you are once again generalizing and making assertions simply because I call myself an atheist.

Again... Unlike god does with Adam and Eve... I would not and do not judge everyone as guilty of the crimes of their ancestors. That would be silly to hold everyone accountable for such a thing. Judging a group of people ....again... Is bigotry
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Well atheists have murdered 120 million + and this is not in dispute.
I have seen so many debates with people going round and round with these comments and I am not like many atheists who will list all of the murders and wars in the name of god... Because it doesn't matter. Crazy people are crazy.... Murderers are murderers.... It is just as ridiculous as the debate on hitler being Roman Catholic. I don't care. He was not a good person... And if he was Hindu.... I would not then decide that all Hindu people were evil murders.... Because again... That would be bigotry.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets face it you are all tarred with the same brush and this is your choice.
A bigotry brush?! Interesting.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>I'd like to take you at your word that you dont worship stalin etc. But the word of an atheist doesnt mean squat because there is nothing to back it up because things such as morals, ethics and honour are all relative depending on how you feel today because as far as youre concerned its all about you and you alone.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..........teh h88888888888888888888888te!
Thank you for your input.... Learning can be fun. Let me educate you on something in return:

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Now I have a prediction.... You with attempt to turn this around on atheists... And label them all as bigots...

Even more interesting though... Even after I point out right now the irony in calling all theists bigots is in itself bigotry.... This will probably not stop you.

:-)

Have a nice day.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17025 Jun 20, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
What about your good friend Pol Pot?
What about him?

He believed in ancestral spirits-- he was one of **YOU** guys, in other words....(an insane faithist)

... but what about him?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17026 Jun 20, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
What about when your heroes Stalin and Mao brought forth their own man made 'designer' famines?
Stalin was one of YOU-- he was trained to be a priest.

Mao was also a spritualist-- one of YOU, once again.

Both were as insane as YOU.

Both believed in supernatural shyt.

JUST LIKE YOU DO.
LNC Llin

United States

#17027 Jun 20, 2013
In the news

The Joshua Independent School District has apologized for “any interpretation of a threat” after a principal suggested he would endanger a valedictorian’s admission to the U.S. Naval Academy over the student’s change to his graduation ceremony speech.

Joshua High School Principal Mick Cochran threatened to write a letter to the academy sabotaging Remington Reimer’s character after Reimer deviated from a school-approved valedictorian speech to thank Jesus and speak out against what he considered censorship of his address. The school muted his microphone for the end of the June 6 graduation speech.

“I always knew that the school district would support me in the end,” he said.“God bless you, Superintendent Marek and members of the Joshua ISD Board of Trustees.”

The apology from Superintendent Fran Marek does not mention the silencing of the mike or the school’s multiple reviews of Reimer’s speech, which he was asked to re-write twice. But Marek promised to “ensure district policy is followed at future graduation ceremonies.”

“The district has never intended to nor will take punitive action against Remington Reimer for deviating from the prior-reviewed speech,” Marek said.“The district endorses Remington Reimer’s appointment to the Naval Academy and wishes him success for all future endeavors in his naval career,”

The complete four-sentence apology is linked to the front page of the school district’s website under the heading “JSD Press Release.”

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/0...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#17033 Jun 20, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You call the bible evil so this means you fully agree with killing. And watching the actions of atheists proves it. Your disciples should be imprisoned and chained for life.
The bible endorses killing, and not for any good reasons. It also endorses stoning children. There goes your ground to stand on.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#17034 Jun 21, 2013
RP wrote:
01. Not that it matters, but I already know that when I die, my body will start rotting, and it will be cremated. My family will remember me for a while, and certain friends will too. Other than that, pretty much nothing else will happen. No reality will change, whether I do or do not know these things.

02. The purpose of my life was never mentioned in that last post, and not knowing what happened millions of years ago, has no relevance to what my life is now. Again, you assume things in which you are just plain wrong. I know the purpose of my life, and I have fulfilled most of the objectives that were mine to fulfill. My purposes were mine to choose, and I did choose what to do with my life.

03. I do not know, nor do I care what happened millions of years ago. I do know that thousands of years ago, religions were created and rules set forth, and those too, have no bearing on my life, and I can and do say that I do not care, because I - do - not - care.

04. If atheism explained and provided alternate theories, it would be a religion, and not atheism. There is no problem in not having that particular problem.

05. And yes, when it comes to my life, religions are trivial matters, which I leave to the superstitious and silly people who dabble in them. They are much like those who used to play at seances, and other games in which they pretend to communicate with the dead.
Ans.

Your case is not unique, this is the lot of people who do not use their brains and power of reason and analysis, which their Creator has built into them.

On one hand you have these ideas that only cover the “Physical side” of your body, that it will be slowly destroyed and mix with the earth from which it generated.

But your physical body is not the only thing, there is also a soul, what is difference between a dead body and a living body?

On one side you have people, not one of them, but hundreds of them, who never spoke a lie, telling you that this life is not the end of matters, There is another life , in which you will be asked to give accounts of your life.

This is both reasonable and logical. Seeing the power and authority which humans have on this earth. With the Power and authority comes the responsibility, and in your “mechanical model” there is no responsibility of any kind, once a man dies, that is end of matter.

There is no difference (according to your logic) between Hitler and those 6 Million Jews he killed.? Is it.

If you want to close your eyes with all these factors and just say there is no higher purpose of my life, I am born, I grow up, and I eat, drink and procreate and then I die just like any animal does…well it is your choice.

But you have no authority to tell that this is “Most reasonable and most logical way”….. and that this is the way that will replace religions.

Atheists are just like Bulls in a China Shop, they cause all destruction and build nothing!!

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#17035 Jun 21, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
What about your good friend Pol Pot?
I don't worship him and he is not my friend.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#17036 Jun 21, 2013
Show the atheist on here who has called these dictators heroes.

I'll laugh as you humiliate yourself again.
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>What about when your heroes Stalin and Mao brought forth their own man made 'designer' famines?
You saying that there was no cannibalism among the starving?
Or are you saying that because Stalin and Mao were atheists that anything like famines they deliberately engineered didnt really matter.
After all you atheists claim that everyone is an animal, so why would it matter to you?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#17037 Jun 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Show the atheist on here who has called these dictators heroes.
I'll laugh as you humiliate yourself again.
<quoted text>
They are so desperate to find something to attack us with, so they link us to evil dictators such as Pol Pot and Stalin as if we atheists had a bible in which these murderers were honored as prophets. What they cannot seem to grasp is that atheism is an idea, not a religion or philosophy. It's one single commandment is to not believe in a God. We have no holy books to link us.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17038 Jun 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to close your eyes with all these factors and just say there is no higher purpose of my life, I am born, I grow up, and I eat, drink and procreate and then I die just like any animal does…well it is your choice.
That is the reality. Unless someone can come up with evidence of God, or a place called heaven and hell. Without evidence, these things are just imaginary,
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#17039 Jun 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Your case is not unique, this is the lot of people who do not use their brains and power of reason and analysis, which their Creator has built into them.
If you just leave it like that, then I would have no issue. If you think a creator has put reason in your brain Im ok with that. Its called Deism.

The problem is with man made religions. Contradictory teachings of so called prophets. Especially when they teach camp fire myths and barbaric methods from the iron age.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#17040 Jun 21, 2013
Exactly. I do not know of any atheists who approve of totalitarianism so bringing those guys up is pointless.
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>They are so desperate to find something to attack us with, so they link us to evil dictators such as Pol Pot and Stalin as if we atheists had a bible in which these murderers were honored as prophets. What they cannot seem to grasp is that atheism is an idea, not a religion or philosophy. It's one single commandment is to not believe in a God. We have no holy books to link us.
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#17041 Jun 21, 2013
Bob of Queasy-Farts wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin was one of YOU-- he was trained to be a priest.
Mao was also a spritualist-- one of YOU, once again.
Both were as insane as YOU.
Both believed in supernatural shyt.
JUST LIKE YOU DO.
Crap.
You say that stalin was trained to be a priest?
How about a link to that?
He might have spent some time in a seminary, but to call him a priest would be the same as calling someone who was a kitchenhand the same as a cordon bleu chef.
Mao was a spiritualist?
And yet during the cultural revolution he destroyed buddhist orders and confucian learning houses.
Goose
Bob of Qornholed-Anus wrote:
<quoted text>
What about him?
He believed in ancestral spirits-- he was one of **YOU** guys, in other words....(an insane faithist)
... but what about him?
Doubtful.
Wheres your evidence?
Yeah.....Pol Pots kampuchea was a real spiritual realm wasnt it?
Marxist parasite
Thinking

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#17042 Jun 21, 2013
Oh look, another post changing religitard.
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You should seek mental help.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17043 Jun 21, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You should seek mental help.
Your Jesus,(were he real) would say to you: "Satan, get thee behind me! I do not know you."
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#17044 Jun 21, 2013
Gibsmeyocracka wrote:
Exactly. I do not know of any atheists who approve of totalitarianism so bringing those guys up is pointless.
<quoted text>
You want religion to be abolished.
You want atheism to be enforced.
You need a totalitarian state for that to happen and yes you approve of such a thing.
You are nothing but a punk who sells dirty pictures.
You dirt rolled cracka

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17045 Jun 21, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Your radicalism is showing again.
Your Jesus,(were he real) would say to you: "Satan, get thee behind me! I do not know you."

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#17046 Jun 21, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still failing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 min Thinking 40,368
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min Thinking 15,844
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 30 min IB DaMann 196
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr ChristineM 255,941
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Thinking 4,630
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 3,747
News Why I quit atheism 3 hr Thinking 388
More from around the web