Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Lincoln LCN

United States

#16785 Jun 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Stoning children is pretty "evil," by any stretch of the imagination, and christianity supports it.
Are you proposing a particular or a universal?
henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#16786 Jun 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If he does not believe in gods, what he believes in? That is a Trillion Dollar Question?
Not to believe in a Phantom (god)is the most reasonable Thing for any sane human being.
henry

Bischofferode, Germany

#16787 Jun 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Supreme Court will take up prayer
Is it OK to say a little prayer before a meeting of the city council, a township board, the school board or the county board of commissioners?
The U.S. Supreme Court might provide an answer in a case it will hear this year that comes to it from Greece, N.Y. As with many of these issues — Nativity scenes on courthouse lawns, the Ten Commandments on public school walls — the proper administration of the First Amendment gets tossed in several directions and can be used with confidence by both sides of the argument.
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the exercise thereof” is the way the writers of the Constitution dealt with it. Many were keenly aware of and quite wary of the havoc caused by the mix of government and religion in the Europe they and their families had left behind.
So what does it mean? Most people accept that there can be no official government religion. That a person can’t be forced to practice a religious belief, or be punished for practicing a different belief or none at all.
Yet many are comfortable with the idea that this is not only a religious country but a predominantly Christian one. It should be safe to practice any other belief, they say, but there is nothing wrong with espousing the Christian values shared by most of the Founders (although some historians would point out that some Founders, while believing in a Divine Spirit, were not necessarily Christian.)
What’s wrong, then, with singing Christmas carols and having other religious symbols in schools where the community is predominantly Christian? Why can’t there be a Nativity scene on public property? Who is hurt if a member of the clergy or even the mayor opens each meeting with a prayer?
Do these actions really establish a state religion? Are they coercive for non-Christians?
The arguments for keeping religious practice out of government are persuasive. Children whose parents are Jewish, Muslim or nonbelievers shouldn’t get a message in school that their beliefs don’t conform to the “right” religion. Taxpayers shouldn’t have to fund functions that praise a religion they don’t share.
Courts have often ruled against government-related religious displays, but the premeeting prayer is an exception. Congress opens its sessions with a prayer, and so do some local government meetings, such as the one in Greece.
By taking this case, the court could decide if the practice should be allowed or banned. David Skeel, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, has a different theory. Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Skeel suspects the court will provide two options: either a opening prayer that is not openly sectarian, or a system where a variety of speakers from many religions are invited to give the opening prayer.
While some believe that the separation of church and state should be absolute, Skeel reminds them that the First Amendment was written by people who “were regularly bowing in prayer.”
http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/201306...
The First Amendment was written by People who did`not know very much without religions.
Lincoln LCN

United States

#16788 Jun 16, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to believe in a Phantom (god)is the most reasonable Thing for any sane human being.
Try posting in your native German?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#16789 Jun 16, 2013
Lincoln LCN wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you proposing a particular or a universal?
There is no "universal," and if you can justify stoning children in any way, your ethics are below that of any atheist on this website.
Lincoln LCN

United States

#16790 Jun 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "universal," and if you can justify stoning children in any way, your ethics are below that of any atheist on this website.
With all due respect, my ethics are based on agnostic, atheist and theist teachings.
We can respect each others beliefs?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#16791 Jun 16, 2013
Lincoln LCN wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, my ethics are based on agnostic, atheist and theist teachings.
We can respect each others beliefs?
I just stated "if," not asserting you do. There are a lot of people who do think that stoning children is justified, and they make the excuse of "it was a different time." But that's just an excuse, they are justifying the act.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16792 Jun 16, 2013
susanblange wrote:
It ain't over till it's over. The Messiah is preparing to burst upon the world scene and when that happens, everyone on earth will convert to Christianity or Judaism. The OT will be fulfilled and humankind will either be sons of light or sons of darkness. The will follow The Messiah (God) or Jesus (Lucifer). Lucifer is Satans' counterfeit messiah and he has been reincarnated. God has been incarnated.
Poe.
Lincoln LCN

United States

#16793 Jun 16, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I just stated "if," not asserting you do. There are a lot of people who do think that stoning children is justified, and they make the excuse of "it was a different time." But that's just an excuse, they are justifying the act.
Stoning children is wrong!
"A different time" could mean two thousand years ago or last year.
Enjoy your posts.
Peace

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#16794 Jun 16, 2013
Lincoln LCN wrote:
<quoted text>
Stoning children is wrong!
"A different time" could mean two thousand years ago or last year.
Enjoy your posts.
Peace
Precisely my point. ;) If they can justify it for 2000 years ago, they can justify it for today, thus anyone who does support such a thing is inherently dangerous to children.

Also, thanks.
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#16795 Jun 16, 2013
If you wanna watch some free sport, golf, football,(both types)..cricket!
WIZIWIG.TV
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#16796 Jun 16, 2013
And i still don`t believe in god or the bloody devil!
(They don`t deserve capital...:)

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#16797 Jun 16, 2013
Lincoln LCN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you posting if "religion will disappear"?
To explain to MUQ how the absence of theism, does not mean that atheism has something that he cannot perceive nor understand. The religion/god belief is simply gone, as with the buildings.
Dak-Original

Leeds, UK

#16798 Jun 16, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
MUQ will tell you that his religion guides followers away from homosexuality. However, Pakistani males, who publicly would expouse his stance, are the most prolific searchers of gay and shemale sex matters on the web.(check it up: latest news).
Lincoln LCN

United States

#16799 Jun 16, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>To explain to MUQ how the absence of theism, does not mean that atheism has something that he cannot perceive nor understand. The religion/god belief is simply gone, as with the buildings.
Rick Perry as President of the United States is a frightening thought.
See the Merry Christmas law recently passed.

Stirring up the masses may be unwise.

If you wish see -José Ortega y Gasset- Revolt of the Masses
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#16800 Jun 16, 2013
idiot Savant wrote:
And i still don`t believe in god or the bloody devil!
(They don`t deserve capital...:)
The Devil is bloody, he is a father and son. Satan (Adam) and Lucifer (Jesus). Jesus is Satans' counterfeit messiah. Adam was the serpent (a part of his anatomy) and his name was changed to Satan when he died and went to heaven to preserve his life. He was the son of God and has been reincarnated as the father of God, the Messiah. Lucifer has also been reincarnated and has a role to play in the end times too.
idiot Savant

Birmingham, UK

#16801 Jun 16, 2013
Faith is the grip that clergy have over you. It's the invisible rope around your neck that pulls you along the road they want you to travel, for their benefit, not yours. It's a dead-end word. It's a word of bondage. It's a word that lets you believe what you've been told to believe, without feeling that you've been told what to believe, but you have, and you can stop pretending any time you like. It's not a virtue, that's the last thing it is. It's an abdication from reality. It's a dumb act of self-hypnosis. It's a cowardly cop-out. It's gullibility with a halo, and hiding behind it is like pretending to be an invalid.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#16802 Jun 16, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Roflmbfao.
1. Christianity is not evil.
2. You didn't point out any contradictions of me.
3. I'm not Dollarsbill, you angry, insignificant and defiant little anti-Christian zealot.
Oh, DollarsBill-- we can see your hate from way over here.

It's the same hate you always had.

Did your DollarsBill account get BANNED? Again?

Pity to be you-- so full of hate.

I bet you are REALLY mad at the US Constitution which FORBIDS you from burning atheists at the stake....

... just like your CHRISTIANS ANCESTORS did.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#16803 Jun 16, 2013
atheism is evil wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. He reminds me of a certain former Beatles member who is now in Hell because his name was not written in the Lambs book of Life.
"Imagine" is a song well suited for atheists. That's all they got.
You are just MAD because you are FORBIDDEN to BURN US ATHEISTS AT THE STAKE.

Like your GRANDADDY used to.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16804 Jun 16, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The Devil is bloody, he is a father and son. Satan (Adam) and Lucifer (Jesus). Jesus is Satans' counterfeit messiah. Adam was the serpent (a part of his anatomy) and his name was changed to Satan when he died and went to heaven to preserve his life. He was the son of God and has been reincarnated as the father of God, the Messiah. Lucifer has also been reincarnated and has a role to play in the end times too.
You are a boring, boring Poe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 min Dogen 3,512
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr Frindly 84,105
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Dec 15 Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Dec 14 Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Dec 14 blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web