Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24181 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

old nick

UK

#15942 May 22, 2013
No mention of dinosaurs in any religious text....no mention of protons, nuetrons or electrons in any religious texts( god is all knowing all powerfull surely he would of said) no mention of other planets just like our own in our galaxy....pfft god, you are truly brainwashed! God has been debunked, wake up and smell the coffee!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15943 May 22, 2013
old nick wrote:
No mention of dinosaurs in any religious text....no mention of protons, nuetrons or electrons in any religious texts( god is all knowing all powerfull surely he would of said) no mention of other planets just like our own in our galaxy....pfft god, you are truly brainwashed! God has been debunked, wake up and smell the coffee!
Better, drink the coffee! Why waste on just smelling it?:P

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#15945 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to me all atheists on this thread are acting like a Parrot.
Just saying atheism is what not, what it is no one is able to say.
If there is no God, what is his replacement? If there is no religion what is its replacement.
Come on guys, you have cracked atom, you have seen pictures which are 4 Billion years old.
Why can't you define what "atheism is"?
Is freedom, liberation with the truth that there is no God.
Take someone with crutches, they have walking aids. A person without doesn't have them, the negative is being without them, it needs no replacement, they walk unaided.
To parrot what's been said to you, it is a negative definition. To ask for a positive one is like asking what's in a vacuum.
God, does not require replacement as something which never existed does not require replacement. When children grow out of believing in Santa Claus it doesn't get replaced. Actually, it does for some with God. Replace religion with something would just make it religion by another name. Like someone who gives up smoking, they replace cigarettes with substitutes but with luck long term there is no replacement.
Really isn't a better way to define it, the very word simply means no theism. You're asking for a negative constructed word to be turned into a positive, perhaps to make a counter-point, so why not make your counter-point already. You can't turn words into something else or they become other words. Trying to think of another analogy word, perhaps (vacuum, empty) clear... ask what clear is cluttered up with or what colour it is or something.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#15946 May 22, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Is freedom, liberation with the truth that there is no God.
Take someone with crutches, they have walking aids. A person without doesn't have them, the negative is being without them, it needs no replacement, they walk unaided.
To parrot what's been said to you, it is a negative definition. To ask for a positive one is like asking what's in a vacuum.
God, does not require replacement as something which never existed does not require replacement. When children grow out of believing in Santa Claus it doesn't get replaced. Actually, it does for some with God. Replace religion with something would just make it religion by another name. Like someone who gives up smoking, they replace cigarettes with substitutes but with luck long term there is no replacement.
Really isn't a better way to define it, the very word simply means no theism. You're asking for a negative constructed word to be turned into a positive, perhaps to make a counter-point, so why not make your counter-point already. You can't turn words into something else or they become other words. Trying to think of another analogy word, perhaps (vacuum, empty) clear... ask what clear is cluttered up with or what colour it is or something.
I agree with some of that comment. Mostly the philosophical part, not necessarily the medical part. I do think that people can become addicted to being addicted, starting with young people becoming addicted to salt sugar and fat, and making them thus easier to trap into addiction to cigarettes and other addictive substances. It is no accident that cigarette makers have joined with the snack food makers into big corporations.

You are correct that atheism is merely not believing in a God, gods, god, or Gods,(usually those that one has heard about - not all possible definitions). I think not believing can have some wonderful consequences, in that one can take more responsibility for not harming others or the planet if one does not think that there will be a superhero to rescue them somehow. Not all atheists take on that additional responsibility, however.

And not all Christians are more careless because they trust that God will fix things. The link between theology and ethics are not that clearly limited - there are too many variations to be able to generalize. I value ethics more than I do theology, and am friendly toward ethical persons with silly religious beliefs - moreso than liking unkind persons however enlightened about not believing in theological nonsense. But on topix, I can at least agree with the enlightened ones.

In person, I would prefer the ethical religious ones to unethical agnostics, skeptics, atheists. According to my ethics, which I would call informed, effective kindness.(on the grand scale of politics and internationalism, as well as the personal sort)
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#15947 May 22, 2013
lins, not link - above t00 many strands to explain.
but in general, there is a left, center, and rightwing variety within many religions, denominations, and ideological philosophical systems. I like the center left best, a nice mix of liberty and protection of the weak and vulnerable and innocent. A nice mix of kindness and helpfulness with self-preservation.
jake

Enfield, UK

#15948 May 22, 2013
God is an illusion.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#15949 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
It seems there is a gang war on me!!
Just every one is hastening to answer my simple question , please define what is Atheism.
Not what it is not!!
There should be some thing positive also, not only negatives, you cannot have a civilization based on negatives, can you?
No two people will agree to anything in this system. Will they?
It is easy.
An atheist is one that does not believe in god or gods.
xianity is EVIL

Walton, Canada

#15950 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
It seems there is a gang war on me!!
Just every one is hastening to answer my simple question , please define what is Atheism.
Not what it is not!!
There should be some thing positive also, not only negatives, you cannot have a civilization based on negatives, can you?
No two people will agree to anything in this system. Will they?
www.atheists.org

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#15951 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to me all atheists on this thread are acting like a Parrot.
No that would be the indoctrinated religious of the world.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just saying atheism is what not, what it is no one is able to say.
Yes they have hundreds of times. If you are too thick to understand then that would be your problem.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no God, what is his replacement? If there is no religion what is its replacement.
Replacement? WHY? None is needed.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on guys, you have cracked atom, you have seen pictures which are 4 Billion years old.
Why can't you define what "atheism is"?
Again you if cannot understand what is being told to you, why do you even try to understand anything?
It is simple much more so than your religious beliefs.
xianity is EVIL

Walton, Canada

#15952 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no God, what is his replacement??
reality!

Google atheist countries and see how well they are doing as compared to your religious theocracies,
Jesus C the Impaler

Bucharest, Romania

#15953 May 22, 2013
Muslims and kneegroids are the best proof that there's no god.What kind of twisted god creates such horrible creatures and gives them a human look?

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15955 May 22, 2013
Because he is desperately trying to compare it to a religious system with dogmas and tenets. He wants to change the meaning of the word to fit his narrow works view.
Very Cynical Person wrote:
No that would be the indoctrinated religious of the world.
MUQ wrote, "<quoted text>
Just saying atheism is what not, what it is no one is able to say. "

Yes they have hundreds of times. If you are too thick to understand then that would be your problem.
If there is no God, what is his replacement? If there is no religion what is its replacement. "

Replacement? WHY? None is needed.
Why can't you define what "atheism is"? "

Again you if cannot understand what is being told to you, why do you even try to understand anything?
It is simple much more so than your religious beliefs.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#15956 May 22, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you take a vote on this?
Do most of the Atheists agree with this?
To me is seems like some one explaining Trinity in Simple Plain English!!
There are words and they are English too, but do not make any sense!!
Trinity is not atheism.

Why don't you just claim, that we are trying to explain paper airplanes? It makes exactly as much sense as you looking at the definition of atheism, and seeing Trinity. That is "none", you are a perverted fruit loop.

Do you loons all agree to fuck babies? Is that why it happens? You all voted ahead of time?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#15957 May 22, 2013
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>
It is easy.
An atheist is one that does not believe in god or gods.
No. An atheist is one who believes there are no gods.

Your definition would include agnostics, verificationists, and all pets.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#15958 May 22, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Trinity is not atheism.
Why don't you just claim, that we are trying to explain paper airplanes? It makes exactly as much sense as you looking at the definition of atheism, and seeing Trinity. That is "none", you are a perverted fruit loop.
Do you loons all agree to fuck babies? Is that why it happens? You all voted ahead of time?
You agree to kill babies, RaisinPenisFried.

That's worse.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15959 May 22, 2013
No am atheist is one who doesn't belief in a god. Agnostic means you don't have knowledge. The two terms are not mutually exclusive although agnostics try to sell it that way.

How can you demonstrate if a pet does or doesn't believe in a god?

Until you can demonstrate that you are as usual humiliating yourself fatass.

Hey for laughs tell us again how you have your PHD in microbiology but work as a repoman! Or how you made a spot on the steelers but were thrown out because you were too tough! Or was it the bengals? Your story changes so much on that lol!

Oh wait how about your son who is a 7 footer with a 4.0 grade average who is hotly recruited by every major southern college athletics department? Lol! Lol! Lol!

I keep up on recruits and guess what fatass? None of the 6'10" / 7' recruits look like a possible fit for being your you made up son.

Lol!

Oh well at least your lies are entertaining, will you be stealing more Jeff Chase pictures?

Remember Buck, you said you would want the abortion option available for your family members. So best we have it available for all women :)
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>No. An atheist is one who believes there are no gods.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15960 May 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No. An atheist is one who believes there are no gods.
It does include all that. There are a couple agnostic theists on Topix.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15961 May 22, 2013
xianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
reality!
Google atheist countries and see how well they are doing as compared to your religious theocracies,
Is there any "atheist country" in the world?

I did not know that!!

The "Only" atheist countries in the world were Communists and every one knows what they did to the world and to their own people.

No one knows any people who were more brutal to their own people than these Atheists.

Want to copy their model and conduct?
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#15962 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does there have to be a replacement?
What is the topic of this Thread?

"Atheism to replace religion by 2038"!!

Who is talking about replacement?

Atheists?

Blowing their own trumpet!!

PS:

And most countries where the "virus" of Atheism is growing faster are the earlier Christian countries.

I do not know if there is any connection between the two.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15963 May 22, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Trinity is not atheism.
The post has your "signature" word!!

Thanks for being Authentic!!

Now I can ignore it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Subduction Zone 70,278
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 min Subduction Zone 30,189
News Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 6 hr John 70,630
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr John 14,734
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 6 hr Paul Scott 3,800
How To Get To Heaven When You Die 6 hr Eagle 12 87
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Eagle 12 258,473
More from around the web