Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 20 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#15739 May 14, 2013
GM wrote:
I'm only going to touch on the second point because you are more knowledgeable about Islam than I.

It was my impression that Mohammed would have liked that it was possible for a woman to travel alone safely without a male guardian. But he was pragmatic in that it was not possible during his time.

I have nothing to back that up other than what I've heard. So I'm asking you if there's any Islamic text behind that.
Ans.

Our prophet did in "every thing" which was "golden mean" between Two extremes.

One extreme was "prohibiting" women from traveling from one city to another city.

Another extreme was to give them "total freedom" to do what they wish and decide.

He chose the "medium path" to allow her to travel in the company of a Male guardian.

That "Golden mean" approach you will find in almost every rule of Islamic Jurisprudence.

Allah Knows Best!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15740 May 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Our joints don't grow back. Sounds like your god is a sh*t designer.
<quoted text>
Did you ask the "same" question from all the doctors and engineers and every one who makes your gadgets and machines and contraption. How much life they have and what happens when they reach the end of their life?

You comment itself shows that you know very little about the subject.

If you would have kept quite, you would have saved yourself some grace.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15741 May 14, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He chose the "medium path" to allow her to travel in the company of a Male guardian.
That was fine in the 7th century. We now live in the 21st century, yet you continue to think like a 7th century Bedouin. Isnt it time to move on and hold more reasonable views which match today's standards of ethics.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15742 May 14, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ask the "same" question from all the doctors and engineers and every one who makes your gadgets and machines and contraption. How much life they have and what happens when they reach the end of their life?
So your god is no more capable than our doctors.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15743 May 14, 2013
We all know if you were living in Hickville US in a Christian family, you would be preaching your love of Jesus. Whereas cause you live in Jiddah in Saudi you follow the teaching of Muhammed. Which all shows that upbringing is the reason we have religious beliefs in the first place, in almost all cases.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#15744 May 14, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you did-- you claimed that as soon as a girl-child begins to bleed, she is suitable for rape-marriage, under your ugly religious laws of oppression.
In the REAL world? The majority of cultures insist on at least age 16 or older.
However: your Moohumud (misspelling a deliberate insult) married at age SIX.
And began raping her at age NINE-- it is doubtful she was "a woman" by then... even by your ugly standards.
So your Moohumud was a PEDOPHILE.
What else is new?
Do you think that there is a real difference between what those pedophile thugs would do to a child during the act of thighing on a Monday, and what they would do to the same child, on Tuesday, while consummating a marriage?

MUQ, Why does the thighing at age six or even younger, not qualify as rape too?
Thinking

Tiverton, UK

#15745 May 14, 2013
Our engineers make aeroplanes which are orders of magnitude better than they were 110 years ago.

Our joints have not become orders of magnitude better in the same timescale.

Still sounds like your god is a sh*t designer.

PS muslims can tell me to keep "quite" [sic] until their circumcision scars drop off for all I care.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15746 May 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Our engineers make aeroplanes which are orders of magnitude better than they were 110 years ago.
Our joints have not become orders of magnitude better in the same timescale.
Still sounds like your god is a sh*t designer.<quoted text>
Good point. Our bodies show evidence of lack of a designer - bad backs, need to glasses, teeth and sinus problems, genetic disorders and diseases. All pointing towards indifferent nature and natural evolution, rather than the action of a benevolent designer.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15747 May 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I predict we are about 12 years out from an openly atheist POTUS or VP.
<quoted text>
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
openly?
I'm a bit more cynical than you. My guess is we're at least 25 years away from that. Once the baby boomers are no longer a considerable voting bloc would that seem to gain traction.
But that might be countered with the growing Hispanic Catholics.
It's a bit hard to make a prediction how all it will all fall out in any Presidential election. Which makes it interesting times, indeed.
I'm sure you know better than I. Which state might genuinely and generally accept the non-religious most readily?

I thought it interesting that atheism seems so prominent in Texas, e.g. The Atheist Experience. This group claims over 2,000 members but it's only a Meetup group...
http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Atheists/
Viewed from here, Texas isn't the first US state I'd associate with the decline in religiosity.

Comparing Texas (population 25m) to Scotland (5m) is difficult as there are so many groups - rationalists, skeptics, humanists, atheists, etc. Non-believers frequently choose only one such designation. Others, like me, are happy with any or all of them. I think my way is not only better but more realistic, though I try to avoid calling myself atheist, agnostic or secular as I see them as religious terms. However, there are now over 8,000 members of the Humanist Society Scotland alone. That's apart from the other groups like Brights, Skeptics, etc.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15748 May 14, 2013
UK Humanist news item...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/0/22271809
There are plans to introduce a bill to make humanist weddings legally recognised in England & Wales, maybe in this Parliament.

There's other Humanist groups in Scotland apart from the HSS...
http://www.volunteerscotland.org.uk/Organisat...

& university groups too...
http://www.meetup.com/edinburghhumanists/

The Freethinker, Rationalist Association and other groups tend to be UK wide. Almost none are so specifically Scottish or English as the HSS or Humani, NI.
Libertarian

UK

#15749 May 14, 2013
MUQ

If you know evolutionary biology you would see that many humans have knee, hip and pelvis problems because we didn't evolve standing upright.
Nature cannot go back to the drawing board, it has to use what it already has.

Thats just on that one tiny point. I could type for 2 whole days on the problems caused by (if you believe our bodies were designed by a deity) such a rubbish physical design.
I could design a better body than your god did.

Eg Blind spot in the eyes. why would your god make a blind spot, why would he put the eye in upside down? Lactose intolerance, why has you god decided not to give the gene to digest lactose as an adult to some people.

If you think our bodies are perfect then you're wrong. Do you trust doctors? Careful because they will base their knowledge on actual scientific knowledge.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#15750 May 14, 2013
It is because he is an unwashed copy and paste spambot. He cannot have a real dialog with anyone because he knows the facts are against him.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>I spotted this too. Has he been drinking alcohol?!Writing the exact same post the next day, he has got to be on something.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#15751 May 14, 2013
There are already subtle shifts in the political landscape. When you talk to people here even in my Bible Belt area and mention how religious a candidate is you generally get a negative response.

I could see it happening as we already see some polling that shows that if a person was a non believer it wouldn't stop a majority from voting for them.

Naturally it would be a DNC candidate the GOP as it stands still had that religious nutter side.

I could easily see in say 3 election cycles a strong DNC candidate with a good record and fresh ideas taking the nomination even if he/she was an atheist. People seem to gravitate more towards ideas now than the old W prays! Vote for him! Lol!
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>greymouser wrote, "<quoted text>
openly?
I'm a bit more cynical than you. My guess is we're at least 25 years away from that. Once the baby boomers are no longer a considerable voting bloc would that seem to gain traction.
But that might be countered with the growing Hispanic Catholics.
It's a bit hard to make a prediction how all it will all fall out in any Presidential election. Which makes it interesting times, indeed.
"

I'm sure you know better than I. Which state might genuinely and generally accept the non-religious most readily?

I thought it interesting that atheism seems so prominent in Texas, e.g. The Atheist Experience. This group claims over 2,000 members but it's only a Meetup group...
http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Atheists/
Viewed from here, Texas isn't the first US state I'd associate with the decline in religiosity.

Comparing Texas (population 25m) to Scotland (5m) is difficult as there are so many groups - rationalists, skeptics, humanists, atheists, etc. Non-believers frequently choose only one such designation. Others, like me, are happy with any or all of them. I think my way is not only better but more realistic, though I try to avoid calling myself atheist, agnostic or secular as I see them as religious terms. However, there are now over 8,000 members of the Humanist Society Scotland alone. That's apart from the other groups like Brights, Skeptics, etc.
Libertarian

UK

#15752 May 14, 2013
I think there'll come a day we can keep religion in the right place, but sadly I don't think it will ever disappear, it has been with us since before we were human, just. There will always be a need for a purpose and for people who cant accept the idea of death.

Just accept oblivion, it isn't going to hurt.

Please do not compare Texas to Scotland. We are nothing like you over there. We believe in evolution, even the religous. We can walk our streets knowing that its unlikely anyone around us is carrying a gun. And we generally care more for the planet.
You texans would be lucky to be scottish, but sorry your ancestors decided they wanted to go somewhere new and impose your numpty religious beliefs on other people, so you just have to deal with it.
henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#15753 May 14, 2013
spudgun wrote:
We all know if you were living in Hickville US in a Christian family, you would be preaching your love of Jesus. Whereas cause you live in Jiddah in Saudi you follow the teaching of Muhammed. Which all shows that upbringing is the reason we have religious beliefs in the first place, in almost all cases.
The higher your education the easier you get free of religiones fetters.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15754 May 14, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
....Please do not compare Texas to Scotland. We are nothing like you over there....
We're smug and superior?:-)

Seriously though (& just FYI), this project is supported by the Rationalist Assoc (GB) is new...
http://apostasy.org.uk/

And both the Rationalist Association and the HSS (Scot) are having internal discussions about what religionists refer to as 'pastoral care' or chaplaincy.

As these organisations grow a sense of community can take root or be felt desirable by some, so memberships are being consulted about what sort of community spirit or services they might want. This is a sensitive question, for many non-believers. The natural reaction to the very question is that people don't want any sort of "religion" for non-believers - no dogma, no rules, and definitely no unelected hierarchy or authoritarianism, nor any structure which might appear non-democratic or church-like.
Lincoln

United States

#15755 May 14, 2013
and..
You can't be on Twitter these days without being bombarded with atheistic smugness. You know what I mean. People who can't just profess that they don't believe in God — they have to taunt religious people for believing in "fairy tales." Or the Tooth Fairy. Most of the time, these are geeks who have immense respect for science... and yet, they won't recognize a situation where they simply have no data, one way or the other.
Lincoln

United States

#15756 May 14, 2013
-2-
Of course, science fiction is also the genre of skepticism, and there are numerous examples of fake gods cropping up in SF books and other media. But there's also a long tradition in science fiction of transcendence, and encounters with something huge and unknowable. A lot of the best science fiction also features the realization that for all our knowledge, there are still things in the universe we don't yet fully understand.
Big Theological Questions that Science Fiction Should Answer
We love it when science fiction gets cosmic. And some of science fiction's greatest creators… Read…

We talked to a bunch of theologians recently to find out what religious topics they'd like to see science fiction cover — and one thing became clear: science fiction already deals with religious issues a lot. From Carl Sagan's take on the relationship between science and religion in Contact to all of the stories that explore the nature of humanity and the future, science fiction is frequently stepping into theological grounds. And that's leaving aside all of the stories about humans meeting entities in space that are beyond our comprehension and apparently all-powerful.

Yep, I'm talking about Sense of Wonder.
A sense of wonder includes humility

A lot of the best science fiction includes a sense of wonder at the hugeness of the cosmos — and the flipside of that is a sense of our own smallness. And the humility that goes along with that. If you want to feel a real sense of quasi-religious awe, don't think of the world as being 6,000 years old — think of its actual age, measured in billions of years, and the huge timescales of the universe before and after our world. And think of the vastness of the cosmos, whose mysteries we've only just begun to glimpse in the past century.
yathen

Voorhees, NJ

#15757 May 14, 2013
The fact that your saying this and yet religion has lasted all this time.. is Amazing..

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15758 May 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
and..
You can't be on Twitter these days without being bombarded with atheistic smugness. You know what I mean. People who can't just profess that they don't believe in God — they have to taunt religious people for believing in "fairy tales." Or the Tooth Fairy. Most of the time, these are geeks who have immense respect for science... and yet, they won't recognize a situation where they simply have no data, one way or the other.
Idiot theist babbling on with no proof of god, lying to everyone around him like a pitiful dishonest fool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Rosa_Winkel 238,363
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Denisova 18,852
News Confessions of a black atheist 7 hr Mikko 475
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
More from around the web