Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15710 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Which atheist has been elected in the UK as PM?
The PM is a nominal Christian but a strong supporter of gay marriage. The deputy PM and leader of the opposition are both Atheists.
Lincoln

United States

#15711 May 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
The PM is a nominal Christian but a strong supporter of gay marriage. The deputy PM and leader of the opposition are both Atheists.
Thanks !
Obama and Biden support Gay Marriage

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15712 May 13, 2013
Sweden far example has atheists throughout it's government, for some reason the theists on here never want to discuss those atheists lol!

I guess they don't care to discuss modern democratic atheists.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Rubbish. Religion and superstition are declining.

Atheism is simply disbelief in gods...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheis...
Lincoln

United States

#15713 May 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Sweden far example has atheists throughout it's government, for some reason the theists on here never want to discuss those atheists lol!
I guess they don't care to discuss modern democratic atheists.
<quoted text>
Sweden is a cool country, center of excellent film industry.

Interested in winning elections in the USA and preventing the Republicans from taking the presidency.

Scottsburg, IN

#15714 May 13, 2013
Yes all over Europe and even Canada we see modern atheists taking up office and doing quite well. Sadly the US lags in this but not for much longer.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>The PM is a nominal Christian but a strong supporter of gay marriage. The deputy PM and leader of the opposition are both Atheists.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15715 May 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes all over Europe and even Canada we see modern atheists taking up office and doing quite well. Sadly the US lags in this but not for much longer.
<quoted text>
I suspect that more than a few of the people in power in the US are closet Atheists. At the moment I think many politicians just go along with religions, prayer and so on, to get along. And many of the nominal Christians are not practising or believing church dogma, so can be considered like minded, but also do not wish to upset religious voters.

Scottsburg, IN

#15716 May 13, 2013
Oh absolutely 100%! You can see them cringe a little when bringing up god or religion it takes all the oxygen out of the room. Obama for example on Sunday goes to the gym instead of church much to the seething anger of right wing nutters.

http://ztruth.typepad.com/ztruth/2008/11/obam...
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect that more than a few of the people in power in the US are closet Atheists. At the moment I think many politicians just go along with religions, prayer and so on, to get along. And many of the nominal Christians are not practising or believing church dogma, so can be considered like minded, but also do not wish to upset religious voters.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15717 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama and Biden support Gay Marriage
Fundie Catholics seem to think that Obama is "waging war on religion" by supporting gays and including mandatory contraception in health insurance plans. A very reasonable idea to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies. The Catholic church leaders a truly delusional bunch were very upset by this, whereas they have been virtually silent on the massive ongoing child abuse scandal which has been worldwide and running from the 1950s until the present day. Which all shows that "faith" is a form of mental illness.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15718 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly in the UK, but in the USA the people who pass the laws seem to regard Judeo-Christian ethics when voting....
Wrong again. Ethics are ethics....
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethics

Your sectarianism is showing.
Lincoln

United States

#15719 May 13, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again. Ethics are ethics....
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ethics
Your sectarianism is showing.
My politics is showing
Defeating Republicans since 1992

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15720 May 13, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweden is a cool country, center of excellent film industry.
Interested in winning elections in the USA and preventing the Republicans from taking the presidency.
The fact that a person has to be in a particular club to run for office is unpatriotic.
Thinking

Taunton, UK

#15721 May 13, 2013
The current UK deputy leader is openly Atheist.
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly in the UK, but in the USA the people who pass the laws seem to regard Judeo-Christian ethics when voting.
The Democratic Party dropped atheism/secularism in 1992 with the Election of President William Jefferson Clinton and has carrier a majority vote for President in 1996, 2000, 2008 and 2012. President Clinton won a plurality in 1992. Right wing impeached President Clinton in a failed attempt to thwart the will of the people.
Which atheist has been elected in the UK as PM?

United States

#15722 May 13, 2013
Have you ever noticed his posts have no coherent flow? They often remind me of a badly translated anime movie.

They often are like this for example...

Right wing politicians are bad for policy with their war mongering and only caring for the rich. Atheism was seen in the former Soviet Union.

Peace.

..... WTF!

Lmfao!

No seriously, read some of his posts out loud. They are like ADHD all over the place :))
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that a person has to be in a particular club to run for office is unpatriotic.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15723 May 13, 2013
Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to be a common theme in the Abrahamic faiths. Disgusting. It kinda makes one wonder if pedophilia was the original intent. A time-honored, "sacred" tradition.
You have an excellent point-- the Top-leadership of these cults do appear to be suffering from rampant pedophilia in their ranks.

I suppose it could be a condition of becoming corrupted by having so much power.

Bears close watching.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15724 May 13, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I defend it? You have to get your eyes checked!!
Obviously you do not know the definition of the word you want to defend.
Yes you did-- you claimed that as soon as a girl-child begins to bleed, she is suitable for rape-marriage, under your ugly religious laws of oppression.

In the REAL world? The majority of cultures insist on at least age 16 or older.

However: your Moohumud (misspelling a deliberate insult) married at age SIX.

And began raping her at age NINE-- it is doubtful she was "a woman" by then... even by your ugly standards.

So your Moohumud was a PEDOPHILE.

What else is new?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15725 May 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Today mohammed would be a paedophile.
Therefore it is wrong to live your life by the koran.
<quoted text>
Exactly.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15726 May 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that more politicians in the US are "closet atheists" than we realize.

They are quick to realize that waving the idiotic flag of religion works wonders at getting stupid people to vote for them.

You can usually tell a likely atheist, by the way he or she votes, too:

** votes against abortion? Not atheist, likely True Believer™

** votes for marriage equality? Possibly atheist. True Believers™ are too bigoted.

** votes for equality of pay for workers? Possibly atheist, True Believers™ do not believe in equal pay.

** votes for unwinnable war of aggression, based on zero evidence, and lots of emotional appeals? Not an atheist-- not skeptical enough, likely a True Believer™, though-- True Believers™ are all FOR war against non-christian countries. They are so hypocritical about it, too.

** speaks out against science and/or evolution? Definately not atheist-- only idiots, stupid people and True Believers™ foolishly speak out against anything scientific.(yeah, I know those terms are mostly redundant...)

In any case, it's pretty easy to parse out who might be faking it, and who really believes in religious shyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15727 May 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect that more than a few of the people in power in the US are closet Atheists. At the moment I think many politicians just go along with religions, prayer and so on, to get along. And many of the nominal Christians are not practising or believing church dogma, so can be considered like minded, but also do not wish to upset religious voters.
:D

I shoulda read ahead, here... good post.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15728 May 13, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Oh absolutely 100%! You can see them cringe a little when bringing up god or religion it takes all the oxygen out of the room. Obama for example on Sunday goes to the gym instead of church much to the seething anger of right wing nutters.
http://ztruth.typepad.com/ztruth/2008/11/obam...
<quoted text>
Yes, that does piss them off to no end. Likely one of the reasons why he does it? To give them something trivial to be pissy about, so they ignore other, more important issues?

:D

Would Obama be that subtle? Well, he's highly intelligent and educated.... so...

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15729 May 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Fundie Catholics seem to think that Obama is "waging war on religion" by supporting gays and including mandatory contraception in health insurance plans. A very reasonable idea to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies. The Catholic church leaders a truly delusional bunch were very upset by this, whereas they have been virtually silent on the massive ongoing child abuse scandal which has been worldwide and running from the 1950s until the present day. Which all shows that "faith" is a form of mental illness.
Indeed it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 32,581
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 4 hr Eagle 12 - 53
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Endofdays 79,855
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr The pope 258,485
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web