Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15543 May 9, 2013
I have an Alienware for gaming and it rocks!:)
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>It was too late for me-- I had already learned DOS.

One thing I liked about DOS?

There was at least 5 ways to do stuff-- sometimes more-- and if one way did not suit your habits?

One of the others likely would...

... I tried Macs, more than once. I did not like the "mac way".

I'm too old to learn counter-intuitive (to me) ways of getting things done.

And yeah.... I won't be going to Windoze 8 anytime soon...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15544 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I want to like Linux. I really do.
I think that open source is inherently safer, as there are usually more people willing to brag about defeating azzholes, than there are azzholes who delight at destruction for it's own sake.
As such, the open source architecture typically keeps ahead of the azzholes better than the closed (secretive) ones like OS10 or Windoze.
Alas, Linux simply won't live up to it's hype:
** there is no basic, new-person help--there just isn't. The few "manuals" I have found, are either grossly out of date, or else written in a style that presumes the reader is already expert-level Linux, kind of defeating the purpose of the manual...
** to do anything beyond plain vanilla? You >>must<< learn the arcane and often contra-intuitive command-line commands-- which are often radically different from one distro to the next. There does not seem to be much standardization with Linux at this level
** game support is ... well... slightly better than Apple's. That's saying quite a bit, but it's not enough.
** advanced hardware (like I have) is simply not going to work, without the user going it on his own.
** the Linux community is appears to delight in being viewed as "mysterious experts" and more often than not, talking down to anyone who has a basic question or one seen as "noob". It's beneath the "experts" to explain anything-- at best, they >>may<< post a series of unexplained command-lines, that as often as not, will crash the poor "noob" computer...
These things put Linux firmly in the "if I ever retire, and can devote Full Time to this project... well... maybe" category.
Alas.
Your first statement is dishonest, please, do not say you want to like something then post a bunch of fallacies about it. Be honest, just say you don't like it, no one can argue a personal preference.

1. Ubuntu does have that, actually, it's still a bit new but it's there. All distros now have the "intro to ..." during the installation, just like Windows, not something I thin they should have.

2. You realize that "vanilla" in Linux means "not branded," right? Branding is what makes distros "not vanilla," as in, the kernel is not catered to a specific set of drivers. Of course branded kernels will always have some specialized features, but you can always install the vanilla kernel from every repo.

3. Most Linux devs are not gamers, and even fewer of us are good at game development, to most of us, it's a new thing, we don't think about games when we think about computers, we think about the servers you use to access the internet every day, considering most of the internet is run on Linux. Give us time, we'll break into that eventually.

4. "Advance" or customized hardware. Linux is compiled against the newest hardware on the market, the kernel and driver devs have what's out before you do, and many hardware makers will offer them free stuff to test before it's on the shelves.

5. You are again talking about devs, yes, we are arrogant, we don't actually care if you use Linux, we don't even care if anyone does at home, we run your internet, that's all we need.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15545 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I did try Unbuntu. At the advice of several Linux self-styled "experts". It was well before the 'net thingy you talked about-- I have no idea what that is/was.
The distro I used was free-- I downloaded from the "official Unbuntu" page, the IMG file, burned it to a CD, and then booted off that onto a newly-formatted, blank hard disk.
No other powered hard drives in that box, at that time-- just to keep it all clean and simple.(that is, I had other HD's but they were all disconnected at the time).
This was, what? 2-3 years ago? Something like that. I'd use my BIOS boot-menu now and again to boot it up, let it update, and play with it from time to time.
A little more than a year ago, I upgraded to same-sized twin monitors-- I have had 2 monitor setup since Windoze 98, but always my "main" monitor (larger), and then a secondary one (smaller), useful for notes, side-bars, etc. It always went blank during games (for example). With the twin setup, I discovered the wonders of virtual desktops in games-- with twin monitor gaming, a whole new level of game real-estate opened up.
And that was when my dalliance with Linux went to garbage-- Linux simply does not like multiple monitors. It just doesn't.
Or else? That is a secret so carefully hidden, that ordinary beginners such as myself, are Not Allowed To Participate.
You know-- that L33t thing again, that so many posters in the official Linux forums are so fond of...
Just something you should remember, all Linux experts are "self styled" unless they work for Google.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15546 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first statement is dishonest, please, do not say you want to like something then post a bunch of fallacies about it. Be honest, just say you don't like it, no one can argue a personal preference.
They were not fallacies-- they were accurate descriptions of my experience with Linux.

Were you here? No.

In truth, I was being kind--because I want to like Linux.

But the truth is? The majority of Linux fan-boys enjoy pretending to be elitists, and like lording it over people who don't know much about it. At least, that's been my experience.

You certainly are not changing that view, with this statement here....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15547 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
1. Ubuntu does have that, actually, it's still a bit new but it's there. All distros now have the "intro to ..." during the installation, just like Windows, not something I thin they should have.
I have no idea-- I installed it via CD-image, about 2 or so years ago, and have sporadically updated it since--which is always-- WITHOUT EXCEPTION, a very painful process.

The "update" ALWAYS breaks something that takes hours to repair...

... without exception.

I do not know why this is-- but it is.

I haven't started over recently, so I cannot speak to the latest "bare metal" installation process.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15548 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
2. You realize that "vanilla" in Linux means "not branded," right? Branding is what makes distros "not vanilla," as in, the kernel is not catered to a specific set of drivers. Of course branded kernels will always have some specialized features, but you can always install the vanilla kernel from every repo.
There you go: more of that mystery-speak I was complaining about.

To me, "vanilla" means "generic hardware" or else a PC built from parts, not from a brand, but nothing special about it's parts--everything is middle-ground, performance (and cost) wise.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15549 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
3. Most Linux devs are not gamers, and even fewer of us are good at game development, to most of us, it's a new thing, we don't think about games when we think about computers, we think about the servers you use to access the internet every day, considering most of the internet is run on Linux. Give us time, we'll break into that eventually.
This does not help me. I can access the internet with either my PC or my Android tablet, both sit behind a hardware firewall.

I considered building a Linux box just for surfing the web, but my experience so far, proved to be fraught with failures (of the OS), so I never got around to that...

That hardware incompatibility thing once again... Linux simply doesn't know what to do with fast/capable Video cards with more than one screen, it seems.

Same thing for multiple-cores: I never could get Unbuntu to recognize I had a 4 core Intel chip.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15550 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
4. "Advance" or customized hardware. Linux is compiled against the newest hardware on the market, the kernel and driver devs have what's out before you do, and many hardware makers will offer them free stuff to test before it's on the shelves.
Sounds ... imaginary.

I would be interested-- but there does not appear to be any helpful information on how to achieve this ... apparently imaginary activity.

And I don't know enough to write my own--even if I WAS interested in spending time on a project that will become obsolete with the next week's update (after recovering from the update's crash, of course...)

Going to the Linux forums for help? Well... I always am more polite that I was here on Topix.

But.

The "answers" were pretty much like yours:

Condescending. Devoid of useful or helpful information ...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15551 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
5. You are again talking about devs, yes, we are arrogant, we don't actually care if you use Linux, we don't even care if anyone does at home, we run your internet, that's all we need.
Yeah. I get that.

Which is why my statements previously are 100% spot-on correct.

You just proved me correct.

Again.

And?

You prove why Linux will NEVER be popular with the general public...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15552 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Just something you should remember, all Linux experts are "self styled" unless they work for Google.
Yeah, I get it: you like keeping your system all mysterious and shyt.

I suppose it gives them a sense of purpose.

But the attitude keeps Linux from ever being a popular OS; it'll always be a sideline OS at best.

Android is based on it, but there is actual... HELP for Android.

It'll pass Linux by in a few more years, likely.

Oh well.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15553 May 9, 2013
SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE NINJA TURTLES

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15554 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
They were not fallacies-- they were accurate descriptions of my experience with Linux.
Were you here? No.
In truth, I was being kind--because I want to like Linux.
But the truth is? The majority of Linux fan-boys enjoy pretending to be elitists, and like lording it over people who don't know much about it. At least, that's been my experience.
You certainly are not changing that view, with this statement here....
Now it seems you are projecting, sadly. Linux has it's "fanboiz" as well, but they are not the devs anymore than than the Windoze fanboiz are. We didn't ask you like Linux, we didn't even ask you to try messing with something you don't know anything about, we offered you a few distros, us devs and engineers, that were engineered around computer illiterates, the rest is up to you, because no, we don't care if you like it or not, but to lie about something is blatantly wrong, you know I hate liars of any type, any type.

As to your other posts:

1. Then you are not using the repos, and thus when you update your software is not compiled to the latest libraries, or you are a complete idiot.

2. "Mystery speak?" You are computer illiterate, please, never touch the superior operating system again, it was not developed for people like you.

3. Again, please don't insult Linux by trying to use it again, it was not designed for people like you.

4. Now you're just denying something you do not have the experience to deny, as illustrated by your previous posts. Please, do not insult Linux devs by trying to use it again.

5. Linux is not for the "general public," but you all use it every day, and most of the day. It's for networking and servers, it's what powers the internet, it's what brings you Google, Amazon, and YouTube, as well as almost every other website on the net. By lying about it you demonstrate you know nothing about technology at all, nothing, zero, null. All major governments are switching to Linux one by one, most from Unix, only a small handful from that Luser OS Windows, the Apple ones are not switching but meh, no difference anyway. Yes, Apple Mac and Linux like each other, of course, they are related, brothers. Both are based on the Unix system, one designed to be free, the other with customer support. If it runs on Mac, it runs on Linux, and inverse as well, thanks to Apple deciding to embrace Open Source devs on their user end machines.

I only wait for the day when OpenSuse devs get sick of MS and decide to drop them from the standards committee. We made the net, not them, MS just made terminals popular.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15555 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now it seems you are projecting, sadly. Linux has it's "fanboiz" as well, but they are not the devs anymore than than the Windoze fanboiz are. We didn't ask you like Linux, we didn't even ask you to try messing with something you don't know anything about, we offered you a few distros, us devs and engineers, that were engineered around computer illiterates, the rest is up to you, because no, we don't care if you like it or not, but to lie about something is blatantly wrong, you know I hate liars of any type, any type.
As to your other posts:
1. Then you are not using the repos, and thus when you update your software is not compiled to the latest libraries, or you are a complete idiot.
2. "Mystery speak?" You are computer illiterate, please, never touch the superior operating system again, it was not developed for people like you.
3. Again, please don't insult Linux by trying to use it again, it was not designed for people like you.
4. Now you're just denying something you do not have the experience to deny, as illustrated by your previous posts. Please, do not insult Linux devs by trying to use it again.
5. Linux is not for the "general public," but you all use it every day, and most of the day. It's for networking and servers, it's what powers the internet, it's what brings you Google, Amazon, and YouTube, as well as almost every other website on the net. By lying about it you demonstrate you know nothing about technology at all, nothing, zero, null. All major governments are switching to Linux one by one, most from Unix, only a small handful from that Luser OS Windows, the Apple ones are not switching but meh, no difference anyway. Yes, Apple Mac and Linux like each other, of course, they are related, brothers. Both are based on the Unix system, one designed to be free, the other with customer support. If it runs on Mac, it runs on Linux, and inverse as well, thanks to Apple deciding to embrace Open Source devs on their user end machines.
I only wait for the day when OpenSuse devs get sick of MS and decide to drop them from the standards committee. We made the net, not them, MS just made terminals popular.
All of what you say, confirms my previous statements.

Linux is not the magical superior OS you pretend it is, I get that.

In fact, I figured that out all on my own.

It's like the 'C' language: lots of hype, little that was actually lived up to in the real world.

Thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15556 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Never gonna happen, so long as you people keep pretending (by deliberate obscurity) your OS is better than it actually is.

It isn't.

For one thing? The Open Source model isn't very profitable.

Without the vanity thing?(as what apparently keeps Linux going...) money is one of the better motivating forces you can use, to get people to do things.

You just cannot build a company without >>some<< profit motivation.

I've seen write-ups of major corporations trying to build a .. what did you call it? "distro" of Linux, for profit.

Always fell through, though-- the product just wouldn't live up to all the hype.

And now?

I see why--you have sadly confirmed what I was beginning to suspect.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15557 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by "repos"... more mystery-speak.

There is nothing to be gained by deliberately being obscure-- yet you appear to delight in doing exactly that.

And no-- I'm not an idiot-- as demonstrated by my posts.

But you DO appear to be trying to be deliberately mysterious...

... why?

Oh! I get it-- you don't have a REAL answer, and you are unable to ...

... actually help....

I get that--- you cannot admit that Linux isn't what you CLAIM it is...

... that's okay... I already figured that out on my own.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15558 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Yes, I get that-- you wish to avoid letting on that Linux just isn't all that great.

It's unstable, if allowed to self-update.

It's very easy to crash, with just the simplest of adjustments.

It's quite unstable, unless you constantly re-compile, re-update, and re- re- re- re- re-...

... yes, I get that now.

Widows Just Works.

Pity about Linux... isn't it?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15559 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Exactly. I expect my Operating System to ... operate the computer.

Without constantly having to write my own code-- JUST to get it to show up on monitors or print a document...

Windows does that, without fuss, without muss. I expect even a Mac does that without muss or fuss too.

But not Linux... too much to ask it to ...

... just work.

I get it, already.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15560 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Nope.. I experienced Linux's many failures on multiple levels.

Mostly, a failure of the Linux Fanbuoys.

As in this conversation---

-- how can I "insult" these people? They are beyond rude-- their arrogance borders on religious.

I get it, that they wish to remain obscure and pretend to be all "superior" and shyt...

... do not worry.

Linux just Does Not Work-- unless you are a member of the special, elite club with special, secret "knowledge".

And then, I wonder... is it as "wonderful" or "superior" as they claim?

Or do they keep saying that so very, very loud, in protest to it's many failures?

Hmmmm....

.. the world will never know.

As it passes it by... moving on to ever more user-friendly computers...

... without Linux, of course.

Windows: It Just Works.

You can say the same for Android, and OS 10.

But not for Linux-- it's not for anybody, apparently.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15561 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
5. Linux is not for the "general public," but you all use it every day, and most of the day. It's for networking and servers, it's what powers the internet, it's what brings you Google, Amazon, and YouTube, as well as almost every other website on the net.
If you say so, I suppose I have to take it on faith?

Hmmmm... I'm not likely to do that...

... if it's all that?

Why is it SO VERY HARD to EXPLAIN?

Hmmm?

Or is this more of your deliberate obfuscation? Is there a special membership oath, where Secret Knowledge of Magical Mysterious Linux is to be Kept Forever Obscure as Long As Possible?

An attempt to guarantee your job? Well.... tell that to the FORTRAN programmers....

... what? There are no more FORTRAN programmers any more?

Hmmmmm.... FORTRAN was pretty obscure, and it's fans LIKED it that way too.

They LOVED to lord it over non-FORTRAN people, claimed it was the ULTIMATE programming language, and only SPECIAL people could use it.

Yet.... it's in history's dustbin...

... hmmmm.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15562 May 10, 2013
I think this thread has gone "too much off the track".

It has turned into a Computer Software Learning Thread.

At least this is better than their idiotic claim that "Atheism will replace religion in 2308).

Atheism, a system that no one has defined so far with any "positive thing" in it.

And here they are cracking their heads over MS-DOS, Windows, Linux and what not!!

Good for mental relaxation,!!

Carry on, Carry on!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Critical Eye 93,361
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 8 hr blacklagoon 3 78
News American Atheists terminates its president over... 20 hr Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) Apr 14 Into The Night 258,515
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Apr 9 Wisdom of Ages 6,048