Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24064 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15522 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Making up an excuse that's a blatant lie just to justify why you don't like an OS makes you look like a liar, and anyone with a shred of actual experience with Linux, especially a dev like me, will see through that lie in a heartbeat and call you on it.
Whatever. I see I was mistaken: you are just as horrid as the Linux users were.

You start out, denigrating my experience and implying all sorts of negative shyt.

My experience was >>exactly<< as I posted: Linux is a nightmare, if you want to do other than plain-vanilla, one-monitor, one CPU, etc.

Especially if you try to get.... HELP.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15523 May 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Way back in the day I bought a Mac cube and got hooked :)
<quoted text>
Apple isn't that bad, actually. It's the fanboiz from all sides that are too stupid to see that everything has it's benefits and drawbacks. I was considering getting a Mac computer and installing Linux on it, those hybrid machines are sleek in operation. For such a money-centric company, they get along best with Open Source.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15524 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Almost ALL Linux distros, with some exceptions, are now operating on "net installation," you get the minimal operating system in the live CD, and the rest is downloaded on first boot, thus the base install is faster and the repos can support more hardware. That's what your "updates" are in the first boot.
I do not know what you mean--- my install was about a year and a half old, not having been booted in that time. I created it from a CD (a rather messy process it was, too).

I had tried to get it to work with just TWO monitors at that time-- I gave up, it just refused.

It also refused to even print-- at all-- on a 10 year old basic HP-compatable LASER printer! Could not even get text output, via Linux.

A couple of months ago, I needed to clone a Windoze hard drive-- so I thought, Linux ought to be able to handle that, right?

Well... yes... after 2 days of FIXING it, after it hautally "updating" itself, which caused the display to go pixelated...

... NO THANKS TO LINUX FORMS, I managed to sort that on my own. 2 days later... and I got my Windoze hard drive cloned (smaller, ailing one to a new, triple-larger one) and Windoze wasn't the wiser.

I HATE software that does not ask first, before updating the crap out of itself! Linux appears to have this "feature" so well hidden, it's impossible to shut off, without first having a PhD in Linux-sp33k....

That's THREE strikes against it:

1) Arrogant, auto-update without so much as a by-your-leave, which BREAKS BASIC FUNCTIONALITY. Fail.

2) Extremely rude and condescending "help" from the "experts" of Linux, on the various official linux forums. Fail.

3) a requirement to memorize arcane and extremely unfriendly code, in order to beat the thing into submission... and even then, 9 of 10 times you are not successful. Fail.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15525 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
If you are having issues, and it's not "CONFIG.SYS," that's Windoze
Actually? That is DOS.

Not Windoze... Modern Windoze pretty much ignores whats in that file.

I was making a valid point: Linux is very similar to DOS of old, in that you must memorize arcane, confusing and needlessly complicated command-line things, in order to do anything useful in Linux.

And unless you've a PhD in Linux-sp33k? You'll more than likely just crash it beyond all recognition...

.... god help you, if you politely ASK anyone for HELP over in the official Linux "support" forums...

... you'll get razzed for "stupid questions". You'll be told to "read the effing manual" (YES! I'LL GLADLY READ IT--WHERE?). You'll get a link, which points to 1) something totally unrelated to your question, or 2) a non-existent or deleted thread/post.

Or more likely? You will simply be ignored-- I saw 100's of reasonable questions-- all ignored by the L33t-Linux "experts"...

... not very welcoming to a beginner.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15526 May 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironic? Not at all-- I stick to standard hardware, without fail. Major labels only. ATI, Asus, etc. DOS worked on those back in the day, and M$ works on them today-- without fuss, without a lot of bother.
And without having to write my own frikkin drivers! I am done with having to code CONFIG.CFG files-- and I don't miss it in the least.
DOS always works, and for good reason, it's simply a Disk Operating System, not a complete operating system. Windows is an incomplete operating system as well, but again, Linux does not use "CONFIG.CFG" either. Hate to say this about you, because you are bright in many areas, but you demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge in Linux, meaning, you have probably not even tried it. GRUB used the file labeled "menu.lst" until GRUB2. GRUB2 uses a more secure file system, you can edit the primary boot file once, but after you boot it, it gets restored to the last updated script. This is a security feature to make it more difficult to contract malware, it's actually a really good idea and implemented quite well. After you first boot, you modify the grub.cfg, either manually if you know what you're doing, or using the GUI tool that's standard in all the desktop enviros, then you run the grub update command and the changes are injected into the root file. The one flaw is that this cannot be done remotely, but meh, means more time out in the real world for me with a perfectly valid excuse for not being at my computer.

I mean, there's a bit more to it than that, but again, most of the installation is automated now, unless you have really ancient tech or are a dev, you don't have to ever modify these manually.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15527 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
.... and GRUB has been upgraded to GRUB2 in most distros, with your installation then you simply are not a computer literate person or are not actually reading about the different distros and who they are catered to.
I have no effing idea what this... "GRUB" or "GRUB2" is.

Seriously. What does it do? What is it? What's function does it serve?

IS THERE A MANUAL?(doubtful...)

I have tried to find an answer to this basic question-- but the "answers" proved to be even more confusing.

Jargon. L33t-sp33k. Arcane stuff. Or posts so old, they no longer apply...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15528 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the benefit of open source that makes them better, oddly. It's great that MS is making money, but closed source simply cannot honestly compete with the open source versatility. Whenever a dev needs a format, a change is made to one of the branches of code to accommodate that, if there is no interference with the trunk, it eventually gets adopted and then you have a new feature, free of charge, only because someone wanted that feature who knew how to add it. It's a very poetic thing when put to music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8hgF0WFPTpcXX
There may be some truth in what you say. I have no idea. I like Star Office, because it kept the older, Menu-driven way of getting things done--- if I keep looking, I eventually find the thing I need doing. The help files are actually a help, too... surprisingly enough...

MicroSquish seems to try to change-up things, just because they can...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15529 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Actually? That is DOS.
Not Windoze... Modern Windoze pretty much ignores whats in that file.
I was making a valid point: Linux is very similar to DOS of old, in that you must memorize arcane, confusing and needlessly complicated command-line things, in order to do anything useful in Linux.
And unless you've a PhD in Linux-sp33k? You'll more than likely just crash it beyond all recognition...
.... god help you, if you politely ASK anyone for HELP over in the official Linux "support" forums...
... you'll get razzed for "stupid questions". You'll be told to "read the effing manual" (YES! I'LL GLADLY READ IT--WHERE?). You'll get a link, which points to 1) something totally unrelated to your question, or 2) a non-existent or deleted thread/post.
Or more likely? You will simply be ignored-- I saw 100's of reasonable questions-- all ignored by the L33t-Linux "experts"...
... not very welcoming to a beginner.
MS-DOS, you mean. As in, the grandfather of MS-Windows. Windows use to be the desktop enviro for MS-DOS, it only recently became an actual operating system, the one change I hate most, actually, and why I use nothing but Linux now.

As to your forum problem, devs are not there to answer the questions, they are busy, very busy, most of them not only dev for an entire operating system that has to deal with thousands of hardware "standards," that change every single day, they also have real lives and real jobs. Posting questions of "how do I?" on a developer's forum for any project will likely be ignored, you go to the users not the devs. IRC is the best place to look, and that goes for anything open source, not just the operating systems. Of curse there are the rare exceptions to the rule, but that's the gist of it. As to the "manual" ... I assume you mean the manpages, those are included in the live CD, and one of the reasons they cannot ship the entire collection of drivers for all hardware anymore, they have to translate them into a LOT of languages now. If you are looking online, and it "vanishes," welcome to the internet.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15530 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
I have one issue with my current computer, due to it's ancient hardware, I do have to turn off acpi, but on anything less than 5 years old you do not have to do that.
I know what ACPI is (a basic hardware layer, typically used in various communication duties between different storage media. Or more accurately, it is a >>standard<< by which hardware communicates to and from the main(mother) board. Typically housed in a single chip (these days--back in the 90's it was several "glue" chips, and called something else--an earlier standard). I seem to remember it stands for Advanced Computer Peripheral Interface, but I'm far from certain. The 2nd word may be "component" instead of "computer".

I still remember configuring the old Modified Frequency Modulation, and then it's successor, Run Length Limited--basically MFM with built-in loss-less, minor data compression.

I also remember "hacking" older MFM drives, and getting them to run on an RLL controller-card, to add aproximately 30% to the total megabyte capacity--yes... MEGA-byte here. My first drive was 10meg, for example-- had an external controller, was MFM, and had a data cable, a controller cable, and a power cable feeding it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15531 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I have no effing idea what this... "GRUB" or "GRUB2" is.
Seriously. What does it do? What is it? What's function does it serve?
IS THERE A MANUAL?(doubtful...)
I have tried to find an answer to this basic question-- but the "answers" proved to be even more confusing.
Jargon. L33t-sp33k. Arcane stuff. Or posts so old, they no longer apply...
Then you have never used Linux. This is not "leet speak," this is tech speak, as in the names and acronyms that have been around since the dawn of computer popularity. GRUB is your boot system, it's the connection between your operating system and your BIOS, Microsoft use to mask this layer making dual boots a very complex issue with Windows, recently they unmasked it so it's where it belongs and follows the new standards of bootloading. GRUB is the one for the disk format most commonly used by *nix systems, even Mac uses a version of GRUB, but their version is proprietary like with Unix. GRUB is your DOS, basically.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15532 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I know what ACPI is (a basic hardware layer, typically used in various communication duties between different storage media. Or more accurately, it is a >>standard<< by which hardware communicates to and from the main(mother) board. Typically housed in a single chip (these days--back in the 90's it was several "glue" chips, and called something else--an earlier standard). I seem to remember it stands for Advanced Computer Peripheral Interface, but I'm far from certain. The 2nd word may be "component" instead of "computer".
I still remember configuring the old Modified Frequency Modulation, and then it's successor, Run Length Limited--basically MFM with built-in loss-less, minor data compression.
I also remember "hacking" older MFM drives, and getting them to run on an RLL controller-card, to add aproximately 30% to the total megabyte capacity--yes... MEGA-byte here. My first drive was 10meg, for example-- had an external controller, was MFM, and had a data cable, a controller cable, and a power cable feeding it.
Yeah, it's a pain to remember to make that change prior to first boot, but meh, it's easy when I do remember to do it. It is literally the only problem I have with Linux, and as I said, my hardware is all at least 5 years old, I'm nostalgic in that, I love my big boy and don't want to give him up to upgrade. Modern operating systems are becoming more integrated though, so eventually I will have no choice but to upgrade, I'm surprised that Linux kernels even offer the switch still. My entire computer is basically 100% modern Windows incompatible, it can't even run the modern D3D libs without a lot of code hacking.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15533 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Sorry to be blunt, you know that I am always blunt, but it sounds more like you didn't like it and made excuses as to why you didn't like it instead of actually ... testing it. If you had simply said you don't like it, meh, to each their own. I hate Ubuntu and Windoze, but I love OpenSuse with vanilla kernel and XFCE desktop environment ... and that's nothing but personal preference.
I want to like Linux. I really do.

I think that open source is inherently safer, as there are usually more people willing to brag about defeating azzholes, than there are azzholes who delight at destruction for it's own sake.

As such, the open source architecture typically keeps ahead of the azzholes better than the closed (secretive) ones like OS10 or Windoze.

Alas, Linux simply won't live up to it's hype:

** there is no basic, new-person help--there just isn't. The few "manuals" I have found, are either grossly out of date, or else written in a style that presumes the reader is already expert-level Linux, kind of defeating the purpose of the manual...

** to do anything beyond plain vanilla? You >>must<< learn the arcane and often contra-intuitive command-line commands-- which are often radically different from one distro to the next. There does not seem to be much standardization with Linux at this level

** game support is ... well... slightly better than Apple's. That's saying quite a bit, but it's not enough.

** advanced hardware (like I have) is simply not going to work, without the user going it on his own.

** the Linux community is appears to delight in being viewed as "mysterious experts" and more often than not, talking down to anyone who has a basic question or one seen as "noob". It's beneath the "experts" to explain anything-- at best, they >>may<< post a series of unexplained command-lines, that as often as not, will crash the poor "noob" computer...

These things put Linux firmly in the "if I ever retire, and can devote Full Time to this project... well... maybe" category.

Alas.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15534 May 9, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Way back in the day I bought a Mac cube and got hooked :)
<quoted text>
It was too late for me-- I had already learned DOS.

One thing I liked about DOS?

There was at least 5 ways to do stuff-- sometimes more-- and if one way did not suit your habits?

One of the others likely would...

... I tried Macs, more than once. I did not like the "mac way".

I'm too old to learn counter-intuitive (to me) ways of getting things done.

And yeah.... I won't be going to Windoze 8 anytime soon...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15536 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Apple isn't that bad, actually. It's the fanboiz from all sides that are too stupid to see that everything has it's benefits and drawbacks. I was considering getting a Mac computer and installing Linux on it, those hybrid machines are sleek in operation. For such a money-centric company, they get along best with Open Source.
I cannot fault those Macs (or their descendants) in the reliability department, that is for sure.

Of course, they do cost more than a basic el-cheapo PC, but you DO get what you pay for, hardware-wise. El-cheapos don't last very long, in my experience, before some sub-standard, lowest-bidder component dies.

And they >>always<< die late on Friday, when your project is Due on Monday..... and the >>only<< parts-house that stocks >>your<< part, is closed until Tuesday anyway....

.... <grin>

Yeah. I used to work tech support for PC's. How could you tell?

<laughing at myself>

One thing about a Mac, when it does fail, Apple is a damn sight easier to get repair/replacements from, than other hardware vendors.

Even if out-of-warranty, Apple is as likely as not, to cut you a break.

Microsquish won't even talk to you, if you're out of warranty-- unless you give them a Credit Card, naturally. Then? They'll talk to you all day long-- they just won't be much HELP.

<laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15537 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
DOS always works, and for good reason, it's simply a Disk Operating System, not a complete operating system.
I liked DOS, back in the day... I had version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc...

... for years, I had the original IBM notebooks/manuals too.

I threw them all away, once-- never realizing I had had a fortune in collector shyt..!

Seriously... I threw them out, in the 90's, never realizing I could've sold them at a handsome profit. Oh well...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15538 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
DOS always works, and for good reason, it's simply a Disk Operating System, not a complete operating system. Windows is an incomplete operating system as well, but again, Linux does not use "CONFIG.CFG" either. Hate to say this about you, because you are bright in many areas, but you demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge in Linux, meaning, you have probably not even tried it. GRUB used the file labeled "menu.lst" until GRUB2. GRUB2 uses a more secure file system, you can edit the primary boot file once, but after you boot it, it gets restored to the last updated script. This is a security feature to make it more difficult to contract malware, it's actually a really good idea and implemented quite well. After you first boot, you modify the grub.cfg, either manually if you know what you're doing, or using the GUI tool that's standard in all the desktop enviros, then you run the grub update command and the changes are injected into the root file. The one flaw is that this cannot be done remotely, but meh, means more time out in the real world for me with a perfectly valid excuse for not being at my computer.
I mean, there's a bit more to it than that, but again, most of the installation is automated now, unless you have really ancient tech or are a dev, you don't have to ever modify these manually.
I did try Unbuntu. At the advice of several Linux self-styled "experts". It was well before the 'net thingy you talked about-- I have no idea what that is/was.

The distro I used was free-- I downloaded from the "official Unbuntu" page, the IMG file, burned it to a CD, and then booted off that onto a newly-formatted, blank hard disk.

No other powered hard drives in that box, at that time-- just to keep it all clean and simple.(that is, I had other HD's but they were all disconnected at the time).

This was, what? 2-3 years ago? Something like that. I'd use my BIOS boot-menu now and again to boot it up, let it update, and play with it from time to time.

A little more than a year ago, I upgraded to same-sized twin monitors-- I have had 2 monitor setup since Windoze 98, but always my "main" monitor (larger), and then a secondary one (smaller), useful for notes, side-bars, etc. It always went blank during games (for example). With the twin setup, I discovered the wonders of virtual desktops in games-- with twin monitor gaming, a whole new level of game real-estate opened up.

And that was when my dalliance with Linux went to garbage-- Linux simply does not like multiple monitors. It just doesn't.

Or else? That is a secret so carefully hidden, that ordinary beginners such as myself, are Not Allowed To Participate.

You know-- that L33t thing again, that so many posters in the official Linux forums are so fond of...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15539 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it's a pain to remember to make that change prior to first boot, but meh, it's easy when I do remember to do it. It is literally the only problem I have with Linux, and as I said, my hardware is all at least 5 years old, I'm nostalgic in that, I love my big boy and don't want to give him up to upgrade. Modern operating systems are becoming more integrated though, so eventually I will have no choice but to upgrade, I'm surprised that Linux kernels even offer the switch still. My entire computer is basically 100% modern Windows incompatible, it can't even run the modern D3D libs without a lot of code hacking.
I really REALLY want to give Microsquish the big old BOOT.

I really do-- and I absolutely HATE Win 8.

But.

I cannot seem to find anyone or anywhere, that teaches the >>basics<< of Linux.

Step-by-step, with EXPLANATIONS at each step WHY the various arcane spells (commands) are to be cast, and what the components (line switches) are for, and why.

Once in a great while, after hours of GOOGLE, I would stumble upon such a post-- a user, who actually was an expert, who would post line-by-line WITH explanations what each line represented and why. And as often as not, alternative switch positions/options, and why.

Those posts were a treasure-- I would usually create a user, JUST so I could thank that poster for his/her most excellent and HELPFUL post.

Too often, what you find is arcane gibberish (to the uninitiated) without a single word of what it did, why or how.

That?

That is a fatal flaw for Linux-- for me, at least.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15540 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
See...here's the thing.

I know, basically, what the word "kernel" means-- it's the core executables (binaries) of the OS itself.

And I understand that it's frequently modified, then re-compiled into a user-customized distribution or distro. I understand that, at least in theory.

I was a computer programmer for 17 years--these are not foreign concepts to me.

What I detest about Linux? Is the utter lack of standardization in the literature--

-- or more to the point? The utter lack of basic literature-- it just does not exist.

A beginner can take months of thrashing about, before finally stumbling on the one-in-a-thousand helpful person.

And since the majority of fine tuning of Linux requires the use of the console? You are vulnerable to crashing your setup all too easy.

I've done exactly that.

As for me trying to modify the kernel? I would be clueless how to begin!

When I was programming, I used to purchase any number of useful textbooks (pre-internet), in addition to the manual that came with the compiler itself. I'm not afraid of reading >>how<<<.
Lincoln

United States

#15541 May 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I have tried it within a couple of months-- in fact? The last time there was an updated Windows driver, I re-tried Linux-- no joy.
Evidence of God :-)

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15542 May 9, 2013
What hooked me was back in the day I bought that Mac cube used yes used for cheap. It took a little time getting used to it but then once I did it was great! And while I had buddies buying new desktops or laptops every few years, guess what? My cousin still uses that silly Mac cube to this day! After all these years and thousands of hours of use easily it still surfs the net and even helps her out with her photography business.

Not bad for $300 back in the day. Not bad at all.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Apple isn't that bad, actually. It's the fanboiz from all sides that are too stupid to see that everything has it's benefits and drawbacks. I was considering getting a Mac computer and installing Linux on it, those hybrid machines are sleek in operation. For such a money-centric company, they get along best with Open Source.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 37 min Richardfs 255,857
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Aura Mytha 40,137
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr ChristineM 20,561
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr DanFromSmithville 15,722
A Universe from Nothing? 5 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity 16 hr superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 18 hr Into The Night 175
More from around the web