Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Lincoln

United States

#15482 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you didn't grow up in the internet age. My first recommendation, learn to use the command line for a bit, seriously, once you get the hang of that a switch to a more secure OS will be easy. But most importantly, disable all javascript except for the sites you trust, a scrip blocker add-on is the best method, allows for point-and-click access. Last but not least, never click "ok" and never log in as root (sys admin for Windoze I believe).
Other ways to help is to learn to install everything manually and ONLY install that way, never using the automated installation. Never allow a program to overwrite anything that is not unique to that program, especially any dynamic libraries, extension dll on Windoze. There's a lot of things about computers that the layperson should be learning before even opening a web browser, they are not like giant calculators, you actually have to know how they work a little bit.
Or use Mac :-)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15483 May 8, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Or use Mac :-)
Mac, Linux, same thing.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15484 May 8, 2013
Muq you scrub toilets for a living at the airport. You couldn't design a floor plan on how to sweep floors properly.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Much better and simpler, design your own explorer!!
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15485 May 8, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Muq you scrub <quoted text>
You might like this comedy clip from BBC
Come Fly With Me - Taaj Manzoor

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15486 May 8, 2013
Funny :))

For Muq he would need to be pushing a mop and trying to buy little girls from people waiting in line.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>You might like this comedy clip from BBC
Come Fly With Me - Taaj Manzoor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GErfRoqr3ZoXX
Lincoln

United States

#15487 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac, Linux, same thing.
Microsoft has announced it will offer a preview version of its first major update to Windows 8 next month.

The news comes amid growing criticism of the software's user interface.

Microsoft said the revision to the operating system (OS), codenamed Windows Blue, would be released at Build, a three-day developers event in San Francisco starting on 26 June.
jacktheladat1

London, UK

#15488 May 8, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Muq, "God" has made no "revelation" to "prophets". If you critically review the EVIDENCE you will see that no "holy" books have been revealed.
The Quran like the Bible is a hodge podge of MYTHS. It has scientific and historical errors, and contradictions. you MUST know this by now surely.
For the love of Zeus, Woden and all the other gods.
You are acting typical brainwashed theist just like the Christians. You need to WAKE UP and start to question things.
How long have you been on this forum? Hangin out with infidels you MUST surely be learning SOMETHING by now :) You know like how to THINK for yourself, and REASON for yourself, question stuff.
The hour that MUG uses REASON, will be the one I'm crowned Pope.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15489 May 8, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had a number of problems with computer viruses over the years, even having to reinstall the operating system. I am now quite paranoid about visiting sites I dont know because of it.
That's a pretty good strategy to follow.

The best protection you can have, though, is a really good hardware router/firewall.

That way? If you've set up your firewall properly, even if you do get a virus, it cannot "phone home" with your private information.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15490 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, so you didn't grow up in the internet age. My first recommendation, learn to use the command line for a bit, seriously, once you get the hang of that a switch to a more secure OS will be easy. But most importantly, disable all javascript except for the sites you trust, a scrip blocker add-on is the best method, allows for point-and-click access. Last but not least, never click "ok" and never log in as root (sys admin for Windoze I believe).
Other ways to help is to learn to install everything manually and ONLY install that way, never using the automated installation. Never allow a program to overwrite anything that is not unique to that program, especially any dynamic libraries, extension dll on Windoze. There's a lot of things about computers that the layperson should be learning before even opening a web browser, they are not like giant calculators, you actually have to know how they work a little bit.
Yep. Good advice you give here.

I still managed to "amaze" the young punks from time to time, back when I was still working in the field (computers).

I would drop into a DOS box, and write a series of commands which got the job done automatically.

Meanwhile, they are still slaving over the "drag and drop", which when it fails, fails in a way that is pretty difficult to recover from-- apart from repeating the entire process a 2nd time... or more...

... amusing, really.

At that company, it became an amusement to some of my co-workers to prank each other's PCs.

I don't like pranks, so I did not participate-- but I didn't mind laughing when someone got pranked.

They never could get into my PC-- I had it locked-down, various system-processes disabled such that they would have had to literally take a screwdriver to it's case, and remove the coin-battery to reset the BIOS...

... I never did reveal all my security tricks, when I left.

Oh, they tried to get into my box-- I had logging going, so I saw their attempts-- but they never did get in.

I found that amusing. Even though there wasn't anything in there I couldn't have restored in about 15 minutes...

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15491 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Of, almost forgot, never, I mean NEVER, use Internet Explorer.
Agree-- but I admit, that when I'm on Microsoft's domain, looking for a solution?

I do drop-over to IE for that. I find the access is smoother-- I suspect that Microsoft deliberately uses things which "break" the other browsers...

... and why not? It's their website, their rules.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15492 May 8, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
So what would have you done about Osama.
Locked him up, solitary, feed him rice & beans & basic vitamins. And water-- all he cares to drink or bathe with.

I'd let him have one (1) book of his choice.

But nothing to write his legacy with-- that, I'd deny him.

And I'd keep him alive, without using herculean medical procedures, for as long as he lasted.

If he wanted to commit suicide? I'd allow that too.

I >>do<< believe in a person's right to die in the manner and time of their own choosing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15493 May 8, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the spouse and family of an author should inherit their royalties and rights. The writer of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo died before he could enjoy the royalties of his works.
I don't.

But then? I don't believe in any sort of inheritance, so I'm kinda weird like that.

As a compromise? I'd go with a 10 year max extension to the copyright, after which it reverts to Public Domain.

That ought to be more than ample time for his freeloading relatives to get a >>real<< job...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15494 May 8, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
But how do we legally lock up somebody who is in a country which does not recognize our right to try and imprison him.
You posit a most excellent question.

I do not have an easy or simple answer, either.

There are any number of choices you could employ.

Obviously, there is the diplomatic solution, wherein we have extradition rights. That would not work, if the country was hostile to us.

We could declare war on the sequestering country, until they give him up-- that is kind of a grey area though-- would it be worth the cost? Not really, no.

We could try to buy him from the people who are hiding him-- that way has many advantages, chiefly in that it usually works. Alas, that also puts the government in the position of buying people-- and that is NOT a good place to be, ethically.

Or we could do what we did: illegally invade a sovereign nation with clandestine troops, raid the hiding place like a pirate or a thief, and kidnap him away into the night...

....!!!

Yeah, there are LOTS of ethical violations to that last one. The fact that we can GET AWAY with it, is ONLY because we have a really large military, and nobody can stop us...

.. if you haven't noticed, I did not think it was a good idea-- politics should NEVER be a motive to kidnap a person. Doesn't matter what said person did. Or it should not.

Oh, I freely admit that there was an element of PRESTIGE and a kind of "DO NOT DO THIS TO US, OR ELSE" going on too.

And that has some valid Diplomatic play: an individual is less likely to try what Osama did in the future, as we demonstrated nobody is safe from our desire to make them DEAD.

It's the kind of thing a bully might do.

I'm mixed about the whole thing-- I did not like Osama, and I do not lament him being dead in the least-- I'm human that way.

But I wish there could have been a better method of MAKING him pay for what he did.

Even better, would be to make his CO-CONSPIRATORS pay too-- including all the FINANCIAL BACKERS.

Make that ESPECIALLY all the financial backers...!

How to make THESE pay? Easy: take away all their riches, make them as poor as it is humanly possible to be.

And turn them loose somewhere in the world, where they don't speak the language ....

...... THAT would be suitable pay-back for the rich people who financed Osama...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15495 May 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Good advice you give here.
I still managed to "amaze" the young punks from time to time, back when I was still working in the field (computers).
I would drop into a DOS box, and write a series of commands which got the job done automatically.
Meanwhile, they are still slaving over the "drag and drop", which when it fails, fails in a way that is pretty difficult to recover from-- apart from repeating the entire process a 2nd time... or more...
... amusing, really.
At that company, it became an amusement to some of my co-workers to prank each other's PCs.
I don't like pranks, so I did not participate-- but I didn't mind laughing when someone got pranked.
They never could get into my PC-- I had it locked-down, various system-processes disabled such that they would have had to literally take a screwdriver to it's case, and remove the coin-battery to reset the BIOS...
... I never did reveal all my security tricks, when I left.
Oh, they tried to get into my box-- I had logging going, so I saw their attempts-- but they never did get in.
I found that amusing. Even though there wasn't anything in there I couldn't have restored in about 15 minutes...
Too much mouse interaction annoys me. It's one of the numerous reasons I cannot stand modern video games for the PC. There should be a balance between mouse and keyboard, one hand on each and you don't have a sore shoulder. I have only had one problem with scripting, I think I accidentally allowed a bad site once, and all it got was my credit card number, took all of one day for the bank to catch it and get the company it was used on to refund the money, without hassle. I run Linux exclusively now, one of the reasons I have to write most code in Java for clients, it's just simpler that way. Linux, like Mac, cannot get viruses or malware unless you specifically install it, it's impossible, and both for the same reason ... until recently at least. Now many distros offer a "log in as su," you'd have to be insane to do that. Without the su log in though, there is no way to write into the system directories, no way to overwrite a library, and even then, overwriting a library in any *nix system will likely make that library not work since everything is prebuilt to specific libraries.

What amazes me, and pleasantly actually, is the number of computer illiterate people made literate by ditching Windoze altogether, it forces the user to learn how it all works. That's why I recommend it, really, just because we need everyone to be computer literate.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15496 May 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree-- but I admit, that when I'm on Microsoft's domain, looking for a solution?
I do drop-over to IE for that. I find the access is smoother-- I suspect that Microsoft deliberately uses things which "break" the other browsers...
... and why not? It's their website, their rules.
That is on purpose, ironically. But the funny thing, there are libraries that browsers use on Linux that overcome those breaks. lol Shh ... don't tell MS.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15497 May 8, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> I understand where you are coming from. But I think that there are some circumstances where we have not much of a choice. We cannot mirandize and try every warrior that is making war on us. Say for example, Hitler. Would you have approved an assassination attempt on him rather then let another Jew die?
Hitler was the Sovereign Chief of a country.

There are rules in play, when dealing with such-- and we were in a DECLARED war with Germany. That's but one of many rules.

Assassination of the head of a country, that you are at war with?

Well.... that's a grey area too.

But likely one that could be justified-- if killing the head, would stop the bloodshed, then yeah, it's viable under the Self Defense clause, which permits lethal actions.

There are no simple, cut-and-dried answers to these weighty questions, I suppose.

Bottom line: you CAN declare war on another country.

You CANNOT declare war on an individual.

That does seem to be the chief distinction here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15498 May 8, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
:) I need to improve my typing skills.
Obama/ Osama / whoever, I dont believe in assissination or the death penalty.
This map says it all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Death_Penal...
I agree with you 100% here.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15499 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac, Linux, same thing.
Really?

I've used a mac in the past, and found it's "mac way" not to my liking-- it was extremely frustrating, there being but one (1) way to do things I needed doing.

And that one (1) way never was the way I wanted or thought it ought to be done...

... Linux I dabbled with, I still have a distro on one of my outboard hard disks, and I do occasionally boot it up to play.

Alas, it's chief failure is that I cannot get 3 screens in a virtual desktop working.

In fact? I cannot get Linux to even recognize that I HAVE 3 monitors attached at the same time-- it insists on simply duplicating all 3 the same, regardless of how I set it up.

(I spent 3 days on this one)

I tried to get help, and the >>best<< non-answer was "you need to write your own driver for that function"....!

What? Pass-- it Just Works in Windoze.

<laughing>

Yeah, I'm too lazy to roll my own driver to make the machine do what I want...

.... <laughing at myself, now>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15500 May 8, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>The hour that MUG uses REASON, will be the one I'm crowned Pope.
Or more likely?

An actual.... GOD will turn up in Times Square or underneath the Tower of London...

Thinking

UK

#15501 May 8, 2013
When my employer got bought by Symantec I moved to Mac and I've not had a virus or installed their bloatware since.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had a number of problems with computer viruses over the years, even having to reinstall the operating system. I am now quite paranoid about visiting sites I dont know because of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 33 min lightbeamrider 1,751
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr nanoanomaly 27,240
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 128
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 57,830
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 5,954
god belief down to 28% in UK 7 hr Eagle 12 123
carbon 14 dating very inaccurate (Jun '12) 7 hr Eagle 12 72
More from around the web