Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#15422 May 7, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would, if I was close enough-- I don't think what he did was right.
You don't think it was right to kill Osama?

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#15423 May 7, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Key word there is "supposed."
And a key concept there is that the religions should not be trying to dictate policies of the state.
There are intersections of state and religion with the easy example of "you may not murder."*
*this, of course, assumes there's a translation error of the "Thou shalt not kill" Commandment where kill == murder. Otherwise, the infallible Bible folks are going to have a hard time defending a self defense plea or admit there is an error in the Bible. But they are well trained in compartmentalization and may claim that's not a problem at all because they are completely unrelated.
Well Godbots claim credit for basic common sense laws like not murdering or stealing, as if people needed a deity for the most basic of principles. What they love to divorce themselves from is all the stupid laws in the old testament like the one that requires women to marry their rapist or the one that demands death for those who want to earn money on the Sabbath.
Christians claim credit for monogamy even though there is nothing in the buybull that condemns polygamy. In fact, it was the Pagan homosexual Romans who insisted that men have only one wife at a time.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15424 May 7, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> You don't think it was right to kill Osama?
I dont agree with the assassination of Obama. That is a slippery slope to go down. Unfortunately the US appears big on assassinations with its drone programme.

The problem with capital punishment generally is it breaches human rights and encourages a culture of violence and death.

I hope eventually the US moves away from the assassination programme and similar policies.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#15425 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Even if you "try" to define God, you will be unable to do it. So it is no "shame" that you did not do it. We know about that bits about God, which He Himself reveals in His revelation to His Prophets. That info is "More than sufficient".
02. Eating Pork or doing any thing which has been expressively banned by God, is not a Trivial thing. It is a challenge to the Authority of God as a Law Giver. And if any one does these things to Challenge God' power as law Giver, then he or she is a Rebel.
Slapping any human is bad….but try slapping a Police officer or a Military officer….? You challenge the Might of the State!!
03. Islam is not "ism", it is a state of belief and a way of life. Isms usually deal with a small portion of human life.
04. There is nothing called "god squad", It is duty of "every Muslim" to ask his brother to come for regular prayer. Any Muslim "denying" prayer, has committed a very great sin.
05. The Penalty increase for multiple offenses (as in any legal system) and in the end their business shall be closed down for good.
06. The rulers should be selected with the consent of people. When you "trust" goons like GWB the Great to invade Afghanistan and Iraq, why cant we trust our Muslim rulers?
07. I do not mind what Title you give to Lenin or Stalin, but people will soon forget their names. Only Prophets of God have ever living names in the hearts of their followers.
08. There are so many "battered wives" in your society, I do not know what they say about your system.
Hey gutless still no word from you about:-
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15426 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. Even if you "try" to define God, you will be unable to do it. So it is no "shame" that you did not do it. We know about that bits about God, which He Himself reveals in His revelation to His Prophets. That info is "More than sufficient".
Hi Muq, "God" has made no "revelation" to "prophets". If you critically review the EVIDENCE you will see that no "holy" books have been revealed.

The Quran like the Bible is a hodge podge of MYTHS. It has scientific and historical errors, and contradictions. you MUST know this by now surely.

For the love of Zeus, Woden and all the other gods.

You are acting typical brainwashed theist just like the Christians. You need to WAKE UP and start to question things.

How long have you been on this forum? Hangin out with infidels you MUST surely be learning SOMETHING by now :) You know like how to THINK for yourself, and REASON for yourself, question stuff.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15427 May 7, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont agree with the assassination of [Osama]. That is a slippery slope to go down. Unfortunately the US appears big on assassinations with its drone programme.
The problem with capital punishment generally is it breaches human rights and encourages a culture of violence and death.
I hope eventually the US moves away from the assassination programme and similar policies.
This is a really good point.

One difficulty is the lack of transparency. How do we know what is likely to have happened without those drone strikes? Perhaps many more people would have been killed and the conflict might be more violent and prolonged. It is perhaps natural to insist that the ends cannot justify the means, but our moral highness may feel of little consolation if Afghanistan or even Pakistan fall into avoidable internal conflict and failed states. Want to go back there again in 5 or 10 years?

As I see it, the real problem with drone strikes isn't the assassinations or the apparent violation of Pakistani sovereignty, troublesome as those issues are. The fundamental problem is the inability of electorates to know exactly who was killed by drone stikes and what was the anticipated outcomes of the insurgents activities had they not been. We are having to trust the US leadership's judgement, whose record is not perceived to be sound.

I would like to see drone strikes stopped too - I think.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15428 May 7, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>..As I see it, the real problem with drone strikes isn't the assassinations or the apparent violation of Pakistani sovereignty, troublesome as those issues are. The fundamental problem is the inability of electorates to know exactly who was killed by drone stikes and what was the anticipated outcomes of the insurgents activities had they not been. We are having to trust the US leadership's judgement, whose record is not perceived to be sound.
I would like to see drone strikes stopped too - I think.
I am glad to see a positive response to my post. I was fearing a backlash.

As I am trying to evolve into more of a free thinker myself, I try to understand things from different sides of the debate.

One of the problems I think we have is that the media will say these are the good guys, the heros, and these the bad guys. But in the process the bad guys are dehumanised and lose their basic rights to life.

That I think is one of the problems with assassination programmes. Plus of course violence begets violence, and our governments pour petrol on the fire of the islamic world. On what is already a deranged religious situation.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#15429 May 7, 2013
I see you are unable to answer our questions and have resorted to spam blasting from your scribd page. I can define god just fine.

An ancient fictional creation used to explain the unknown and inspire bloodshed for profit.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

01. Even if you "try" to define God, you will be unable to do it.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#15430 May 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038... Hhhmmm
*Can anyone tell me how they came up with this date?
It's explained in the Psychology Today article that began this thread.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human...

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#15431 May 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I don't know the math they employed or where they got the numbers and even I suspect it's nothing more than a hopeful guess. It's just fun to watch the mega-religious people squirm and gnash their teeth about it.
The article based its calculations on the correlation between prosperity and secularism. Take look--the math looks pretty soft to me.
rio

London, UK

#15432 May 7, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to add something productive to the debate?
Nope, nothing to add ...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15433 May 7, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
The article based its calculations on the correlation between prosperity and secularism. Take look--the math looks pretty soft to me.
I'm not big on statistical maths, just not my thing. ;)
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15434 May 7, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
<quoted text>
It's explained in the Psychology Today article that began this thread.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human...
Great article. Well worth a re-read.
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#15435 May 7, 2013
I would be happy for us to research cheaper delivery mechanisms or extending the life of Trident.

I would also be looking to move Trafalgar, any replacement and its associated manufacturing out of Scotland for obvious reasons.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Expense?
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c569db3a-4947-11e2-...
Between now and 2016, the article says, Britain must decide whether to replace [our capacity]. This will cost £25bn. The construction programme will consume at least one-third of the Ministry of Defence’s equipment budget after 2020.
The French offered us the prospect of a 'shared nuclear deterrent', but UKGov didn't pursue it. It is one of the arguments for Scottish Indepence,(and another example of stupid Westminster decisions).
There's also the argument that we would never use an independent deterrent.
Thinking

Sheffield, UK

#15436 May 7, 2013
A friend of mine met Clinton and said you felt that he was talking directly to you, despite the fact that there were perhaps 100 people in the room.

Applying 20 20 hindsight though, pulling out of Mogadishu paved the way for 9/11.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
There's one thing about Bill Clinton and that is, you can't help but like the guy.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#15437 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to the victims of Hitler....the families of 6 millions Jews he killed and take their approval.
Do the same from the relatives of victims of 9/11.
And then you will find where you stand in the world. May be they lynch you before you have finished your arguments!!
If you live in a dream world then it is OK.
PS:
Lock them up without Parole and Spend TAXPAYER 's money on their upkeep!!
Are you SANTA?
And what is the situation in GITMO? People locked up without trial and conviction?
You asked what Bob, would do, and you got his answer.

Now you want him to answer for the families of six million dead ....... most of their families are gone too. Thanks to the Christain Hitler, and a few Christian countries willing, to not look too closely at the atrocities being committed.

Think of how you react, to our mentioning of your own insane and perverted sexual battery of children. You are the scorpion in your own nest and you wish us not to notice that "thighing has the green light from your religious leaders. That tells us all, that you are monsters, and not fit to join the human community. Until you scorpions who are destroying your own young, are eliminated*, we don't want you lot any where near our young.

*Unfortunately for your children, and your place in the ranks of people who are actually still humane humans, that will probably be after you die of old age.

There is a cleaner better world coming into existence, right now .... with less crime, better medicine, healthier food, widespread education, and more ways to access life sustaining water. You can't bring "thighing into this new world. You can't stone children here, you can't cut off girl's noses and ears, you can't mutilate girls sexual organs here, you can't rape men and then claim you are not homosexual.

You can keep your religion, but you can't force it on any one else, nor can you hurt others because of their choice of religion.

Earth,TX

#15438 May 7, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask Obama WHY he sanctioned the Killing Of Osama?
Ask those Judges at Nuremberg Trials why they awarded death penalty to those Nazi Leaders.
In fact you have to provide more and more reasoning for your illogical position and not me.
Does Bob's opinion need be predicated on what Obama does or doesn't do? We are not marching lockstep with our political leaders, we may approve of some of their actions, without approving of all of them.

That is not something you could understand, is it? After all you are defending the practice of thighing babies. That kind of makes you a non-participant in all things sane or human. Your opinion is null and void.

Earth,TX

#15439 May 7, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> You don't think it was right to kill Osama?
I don't.

He should have been, tried for >> his << crimes, and if convicted ... imprisioned. While he was a complete opponent of humanity, he still deserved that we act like humans in dealing with him.

Earth,TX

#15440 May 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Atheist do not want theists on "Their" threads LOL
Politically this is one of the reasons people generally do not vote for atheists.
Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views.
Atheists seem filled with Hate.
Your first statement "Atheist do not want theists on "Their" threads LOL", is just wrong.

Your second statement "Politically this is one of the reasons people generally do not vote for atheists.", is as ridiculous as it is wrong.

Your third statement "Atheists love their own views but intolerant of other views."' is again wrong.

Your fourth statement, "Atheists seem filled with Hate.", is flat out just you being a liar. We have repeatedly explained who we are, what we are doing with our lives, and what we want for our future.

You should really speak with us before attempting to speak for us. By doing so, you could have known that most of us welcome, any legitimate interaction with other people. We learn through this discourse, and it benefits us all, to know more about the different types of humans our world contains.

What we don't welcome is belligerent idiots* who are here only to attempt smearing us with the drivel that is their religious myths. If we wanted that, we would have it. Do you want to know why some of us are no longer believers? Asking is always an option.

* you, fit this description, plus you are a liar. But we've come to expect that from any and all of the god's representatives.

Earth,TX

#15441 May 7, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
This a lot like a birther thread.
Same posts by same people saying the same thing every day.
Well maybe you should stop. Think of something different for a change, maybe something containing some small kernel of truth?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min IB DaMann 51,673
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min scientia potentia... 24,687
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 29 min Trumpler 1,656
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 49 min Norbert of Norview 22,124
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr Eagle 12 200
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr u196533dm 5,797
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 16 hr Eagle 12 11,407
More from around the web