Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23584 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15241 May 3, 2013
undefined apathy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm actually rooting for the version where we stop big oil companies from destroying every single alternative fuel that comes along, and just have energy that's not destructive to the planet.
We can make cars run on water, they done this successfully more than once, yet because big oil companies keep getting involved we're still thoughtlessly destroying our planet :(
I like where you are going-- except for the "run on water" bit.

That is pure BS-- sorry about that, but water simply has no useful energy to release, to run your car.

Unless you have invented an anti-matter converter? One that converts the mass of the water directly into energy? No?

Then "cars running on water" is not possible.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15242 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they can't make cars that "run on water," sadly. It's not really feasible for several reasons, most importantly physics. The amount of energy require to break the water molecule into hydrogen and oxygen gas is three times the energy derived from igniting such gasses. It's a fun science experiment but was not effective in the long term, and is less efficient than even our electric cars.
Also, the "big oil company" thing you mentioned is, technically, a conspiracy theory, or as I call it, conspiracy nuttery. Oil companies make more money on plastics and textile production than anything, more factory new computers are sold every year than cars in a decade. Even with our technology recycling programs we use more virgin plastic on computers each year than any other product on the market, in the US and Europe at least. Oil companies also make no money off electricity production now, that's all coal, a different industry.
There are alternatives, the problem is that the lobbyists are all for their own pet corporations, all of them, even the "green" ones, all they want is to push for money into their corporations. One of the huge tax wasters is the raw material recycling companies now, I can go into detail if you want to change topics. But oil companies themselves don't even care about the fuel industry anymore, and while we're working on some great new bio-plastics, we will need the petroleum plastics for at least another century.
Ooops! I should have read ahead.:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15243 May 3, 2013
undefined apathy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was citing Hydrogen as a specific example, not the only example.
http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/ ( btw there are hydrogen cars :D )
http://www.teslamotors.com/ ( Electric powered car that doesn't use fossil fuels...a personal want of mine is the Tesla roadster )
Now, I'm talking about corporate greed in general. Big companies like to crush small competitors. That's pretty much the way it goes. It's why there are no longer mom and pop shops and Walmarts everywhere.
Hydrogen is very different from water.
:D

I like hydrogen-- but the problem of storage density remains-- there is no real efficient method of storing that stuff in sufficiently dense containers suitable for autos-- if you want a reasonable range, that is.

If you are willing to limit your range to 100 miles or less? Then, yeah, hydrogen is the way to go.

Maybe we need to look for ways to refuel the cars more efficiently--say every time you park, a robot automatically connects your car to an electrical charging device-- it either generates more hydrogen (from on-board water tanks) or it recharges the batteries.

For city-to-city roads? It is technically feasable to have in-road induction charging sections-- that is, as you drive along, the in-road induction coils re-charge your batteries (or generate hydrogen from on-board water).

This would enable cars to have very limited ranges-- and still be quite workable with the present cityscapes.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15244 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Minimum wage does pay a lot more than welfare if you work 40 hours a week.
Aye, and there's the rub, me hearty!

:)

An example of taking advantage of the minimum wage issue? Is McDonald's. They typically only hire part-time-- 20hrs or less/wk for the bulk of their employees, and then pay their managers salaries-- and work them 60-90 hours/week.

I do contract work for McD's, in the summers, and I see how they are run from the "other side". Fast turnover, all the managers are young people--older folk cannot stand the hours/pace.

But your typical store is only a 1%-5% profit margin business. Of course, they do generate a great deal of cash-flow through the business, and therefore, generate local economic flow of monies.

That's all good-- but I would not work >for< them. I need full time work-- not 20hour part-time, paid less than minimum wage with zero benefits.

The Wal-Marts of my area use the same model-- most of their workers are not permitted more than 35 hours/week, so they don't have to give them any benefits.

In fact? The local human services of my local 'Marts, have printed material for their new hires, so they can collect food stamps!

Seriously.

The US Taxpayer is subsidizing the billionaires that own Wal-Mart...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#15245 May 3, 2013
Obama administration close ties with atheists.

http://www.examiner.com/article/godless-polit...

Many have said Obama himself is a closet atheist. He certainly isn't very religious forgoing church on Sunday for working out at the gym instead.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15246 May 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Many have said Obama himself is a closet atheist. He certainly isn't very religious forgoing church on Sunday for working out at the gym instead.
Regardless if he's sincere in his "god bless" speech-closers or not?

The fact that he is willing to meet with non-theists groups? Says more about his willingness to cooperate with organized groups in the US, than anything else.

In direct contrast to all the ReThuglican "leaders" in the past 20 years...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15247 May 3, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooops! I should have read ahead.:D
Well, you still appear to know a lot more on the subject than I do anyway, so your input was informative and I am grateful you did contribute. My knowledge is focused mostly on the politics of the situation, and I know less about that science.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15248 May 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Aye, and there's the rub, me hearty!
:)
An example of taking advantage of the minimum wage issue? Is McDonald's. They typically only hire part-time-- 20hrs or less/wk for the bulk of their employees, and then pay their managers salaries-- and work them 60-90 hours/week.
I do contract work for McD's, in the summers, and I see how they are run from the "other side". Fast turnover, all the managers are young people--older folk cannot stand the hours/pace.
But your typical store is only a 1%-5% profit margin business. Of course, they do generate a great deal of cash-flow through the business, and therefore, generate local economic flow of monies.
That's all good-- but I would not work >for< them. I need full time work-- not 20hour part-time, paid less than minimum wage with zero benefits.
The Wal-Marts of my area use the same model-- most of their workers are not permitted more than 35 hours/week, so they don't have to give them any benefits.
In fact? The local human services of my local 'Marts, have printed material for their new hires, so they can collect food stamps!
Seriously.
The US Taxpayer is subsidizing the billionaires that own Wal-Mart...
McDonald's hates it's employees, ironically the employees don't ever seem to realize that. The 35 hour work week is called a "buffer limit," as in, it offers a buffer of 5 hours to avoid paying overtime, and anyone under 18 cannot work overtime, it's illegal in the US now, so it also protects the company in other ways.

The US government pretty much wants everyone on food stamps, because they can increase taxes for it and collect more in profits. Yep, our government is another corporation, it's just one that gets to make up the laws. Luckily that has only been a hindrance thus far. The thing with the Walmart hours as well is that anyone working an average of 40 or more per week also becomes a partial owner, they get stock options, even hourly wagers, and I know of no business that will give a newly hired employee more than 30 hours a week in any case.

Lexington, KY

#15249 May 3, 2013
You gotta say what you gotta say. We have never had such an atheist friendly president. He also has several atheists and non believers on his staff.

I look at his actions and they certainly are not in line with the Religious organizations.
<quoted text>Regardless if he's sincere in his "god bless" speech-closers or not?

The fact that he is willing to meet with non-theists groups? Says more about his willingness to cooperate with organized groups in the US, than anything else.

In direct contrast to all the ReThuglican "leaders" in the past 20 years...
Lincoln

United States

#15250 May 3, 2013
Hillary Clinton 2016
Lincoln

United States

#15251 May 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Next President Obama will be Kenyan
Next President Obama will be Muslim
LOL

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15252 May 3, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You gotta say what you gotta say. We have never had such an atheist friendly president. He also has several atheists and non believers on his staff.
I look at his actions and they certainly are not in line with the Religious organizations.
<quoted text>
I like Obama as a person, and I respect him as a President, even though he did not achieve some of his campaign promises that I wanted him to. Oh well.

I was really voting AGAINST Mittins--who would have been a near-total disaster.]

The US could not afford 4 more years of Bush-type economic disaster....

Lexington, KY

#15253 May 4, 2013
The storming Mormon didn't have a chance lol :))

Obama hasn't been perfect and he has done some things that pissed me off to be sure. On the other hand he has done much to help us progressives so it's a mixed bag. Even Bill Clinton messed up but at least he like Obama tried.

Unlike any GOP president.
<quoted text>I like Obama as a person, and I respect him as a President, even though he did not achieve some of his campaign promises that I wanted him to. Oh well.

I was really voting AGAINST Mittins--who would have been a near-total disaster.]

The US could not afford 4 more years of Bush-type economic disaster....

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#15254 May 4, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The storming Mormon didn't have a chance lol :))
Obama hasn't been perfect and he has done some things that pissed me off to be sure. On the other hand he has done much to help us progressives so it's a mixed bag. Even Bill Clinton messed up but at least he like Obama tried.
Unlike any GOP president.
<quoted text>
There's one thing about Bill Clinton and that is, you can't help but like the guy.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#15255 May 4, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
There's one thing about Bill Clinton and that is, you can't help but like the guy.
I don't like his wife though, she's a monster.

Lexington, KY

#15256 May 4, 2013
Many People wished he could have run for a 3rd term.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>There's one thing about Bill Clinton and that is, you can't help but like the guy.
henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#15258 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
What irritates me about nuclear programs in the US, is all the waste-- if they would simply re-process the "spent" fuel rods next to working nuclear piles, it could be reused several times, before all the useful isotopes are gone.
By the time it decays into lighter elements, there is not all that much leftover for deep-crust burial.
The majority of "waste" is really low-level stuff anyway (like tools, clothing, protective gear, etc). That could be handled in a very different way than at present, where it's treated as if it were made of "super kooties" or something-- if it were incinerated, and the exhaust carefully collected, you'd have 1/100th of the mass/volume or better--sure, it'd be higher level radiation, but much-much smaller to dispose of. Cheaper, too.
The whole thing is fraught with arbitrary silliness, and hampered by morons who are afraid of their shadows-- if the "nuclear" word is attached? They are against it--even if it was "nuclear medicine".
Idiots.
A properly engineered and properly >>maintained<< reactor NOT located on a fault line or in a hurricane zone is safer than houses-- certainly MUCH safer than damns are.
The key is oversight-- NOT from the company profiting from the endeavor, but by an interested, but unbiased 3rd party.
Typically this would be government-- but alas, our government is too easy to corrupt these days.
For proof? The ReThuglican Party-- who allowed itself to be bought off by gun manufacturers, instead of enacting REASONABLE protections for the citizenry.
... ugg.
CapitaLISM HAS ONLY ONE TARGET: superprofit. The Society has no other Goal. This means the end in a nuclear Age!
henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#15259 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
I like hydrogen-- but the problem of storage density remains-- there is no real efficient method of storing that stuff in sufficiently dense containers suitable for autos-- if you want a reasonable range, that is.
If you are willing to limit your range to 100 miles or less? Then, yeah, hydrogen is the way to go.
Maybe we need to look for ways to refuel the cars more efficiently--say every time you park, a robot automatically connects your car to an electrical charging device-- it either generates more hydrogen (from on-board water tanks) or it recharges the batteries.
For city-to-city roads? It is technically feasable to have in-road induction charging sections-- that is, as you drive along, the in-road induction coils re-charge your batteries (or generate hydrogen from on-board water).
This would enable cars to have very limited ranges-- and still be quite workable with the present cityscapes.
I am quite shure: Fukushima was not the last affaire. There are hundreds of AKWs and we will witness more gaus. Radiation is a silent killer and it is going around the whole world.
Imhotep

Orlando, FL

#15260 May 4, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
CapitaLISM HAS ONLY ONE TARGET: superprofit. The Society has no other Goal. This means the end in a nuclear Age!
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
henry

Bad Tennstedt, Germany

#15261 May 4, 2013
<quoted text>
The final run is for superprofits. This is the Goal of all capitalists and finally the end of this Society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 min dollarsbill 12,572
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 20 min par five 6
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 27 min dollarsbill 247,329
News Militant Atheists are On the March 46 min thetruth 4
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr -Stray Dog 47,790
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr thetruth 105
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 8 hr thetruth 59
More from around the web