Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15190 May 1, 2013
No surprise there man. We see Christians mess up basic bible knowledge all the time on here.
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>I had to school an idiot racist Christian by the name of Raptor on the concept of Original sin.
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T9T7S93H1F7J6...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15191 May 1, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to school an idiot racist Christian by the name of Raptor on the concept of Original sin.
Givemeliberty wrote:
No surprise there man. We see Christians mess up basic bible knowledge all the time on here.
<quoted text>
Well, what do you expect? The majority never read the bible--apart from a verse here, another one there-- the rest?

They ignore-- and make up sh7t that fits their own prejudices and ego.

How do you think Creationism was invented? By people making up sh7yt and pretending it was "biblical"...

Reading the whole bible is an excellent tool to make a person into an atheist.

There's even a website devoted to preachers/pastors who, due to training (which typically includes study of the whole bible, including it's ugly origins) have lost all faith, and become atheists-- but they don't know how to get out of being a preacher/pastor.... I forget what it's called, but it supports anonymous membership (naturally).

I find it amusing, myself.
Imhotep

Gainesville, FL

#15192 May 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
Well, what do you expect? The majority never read the bible--apart from a verse here, another one there-- the rest?
How do you think Creationism was invented? By people making up sh7yt and pretending it was "biblical"...
There's even a website devoted to preachers/pastors who, due to training (which typically includes study of the whole bible, including it's ugly origins) have lost all faith, and become atheists-- but they don't know how to get out of being a preacher/pastor.... I forget what it's called, but it supports anonymous membership (naturally).
~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo--
SCALIA NEVER GOING TO ANOTHER N.B.A. GAME

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Justice Antonin Scalia disrupted the normally tranquil atmosphere of the Supreme Court today, bursting from his office to shout,“I’m never going to another damn N.B.A. game as long as I live!”

While it was unclear what, exactly, had provoked Justice Scalia’s outburst, one of his clerks said that “he saw something on ESPN that really upset him.”

After emerging from their offices to see the source of the commotion, the other Justices found a visibly agitated Justice Scalia, his face beet-red and his entire body shaking with rage.

“I’ve gone to basketball games my entire life,” he bellowed.“I always thought that was a ‘safe place.’ Well, I guess I was wrong. I guess I’ve been wrong about a lot of things, haven’t I? Haven’t I?”

As Justice Clarence Thomas wordlessly moved to comfort him, Justice Scalia rebuffed his fellow-juror.

“Get away from me, Clarence!” he screamed.“I can’t trust anyone anymore.”

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15193 May 1, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~\\\\|||
~~(@@)
~oOo--O--oOo--
SCALIA NEVER GOING TO ANOTHER N.B.A. GAME
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Justice Antonin Scalia disrupted the normally tranquil atmosphere of the Supreme Court today, bursting from his office to shout,“I’m never going to another damn N.B.A. game as long as I live!”
While it was unclear what, exactly, had provoked Justice Scalia’s outburst, one of his clerks said that “he saw something on ESPN that really upset him.”
After emerging from their offices to see the source of the commotion, the other Justices found a visibly agitated Justice Scalia, his face beet-red and his entire body shaking with rage.
“I’ve gone to basketball games my entire life,” he bellowed.“I always thought that was a ‘safe place.’ Well, I guess I was wrong. I guess I’ve been wrong about a lot of things, haven’t I? Haven’t I?”
As Justice Clarence Thomas wordlessly moved to comfort him, Justice Scalia rebuffed his fellow-juror.
“Get away from me, Clarence!” he screamed.“I can’t trust anyone anymore.”
We can but hope, that he will burst a blood vesicle or something in the near future....

....*sigh*

Scottsburg, IN

#15194 May 1, 2013
Go look up the clergy project! Hundreds of preachers, priests, pastors, rabbis even Imams who are now non believers but have to keep their jobs as head of a church,temple,mosque for fear of their life or because they can't afford to quit.

Very interesting :)
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Givemeliberty wrote, "No surprise there man. We see Christians mess up basic bible knowledge all the time on here.
<quoted text>
"

henry

Germany

#15196 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And never say the root problem is organised religion or faith. A controversial stance like that would be seen as likely to upset too many people.
vival
I am convinced the present society of capitalism is dangerous for the survival of humanity in the nuclear age. The ruling minority of billionairs is of course not able to turn the Switch around for the good of mankind. Capitalism is a suicide Society.
henry

Germany

#15197 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe thats true in the UK. I guess it depends on the question being asked. But I think when talking "Westerns" in general, esp. the US >50% subscribe to some form of theism. Of course having a majority position does not mean you are right. As we state all the time here, the religions are based on poor evidence, and all contradict each other, so have to be wrong.
All religions are fakes in the interests of mighty and rich ones. Wars are hostile to the majority of men, but the money makers are in the nuclear age a deadly danger for the whole of humanity. The present System is terminating mankind.
henry

Germany

#15198 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe thats true in the UK. I guess it depends on the question being asked. But I think when talking "Westerns" in general, esp. the US >50% subscribe to some form of theism. Of course having a majority position does not mean you are right. As we state all the time here, the religions are based on poor evidence, and all contradict each other, so have to be wrong.
As far as I am concerned, communism would have been the last chance for our survival. Capitalism with its permanent senseless wars is a suicidal society in the nuclear age. The natural huge Desasters are an additional way for the destructure of our race.
henry

Germany

#15199 May 2, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
With the income of the nuclear age men has lost control about its habitation. Capitalism no longer is able to rule the world now. We are the way to the nuclear Inferno. There is not the slightest chance any more for a reversal.
henry

Germany

#15200 May 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again you just spam blast the beard with your scribd page nonsense?
How about instead of wasting people's time and bandwidth you explain why so many Muslims are terrorizing innocent people who just want to live their lives?
<quoted text>
course
In the end time of mankind religion is (like all the time before) useless. Religion was a waste of life time no more.
henry

Germany

#15201 May 2, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Higher than 50%, and higher yet in the Republican Party, which thankfully lost the last Pres. election.
Sixty five percent of American adults favor prayer in public schools, according to a new survey........
UK is much less religious,
alas with establish churches.
Ironic?
No irony! The Inferno of the nuclear age is final for humanity. You don`t have to believe it, it is on their way.
Thinking

Dundee, UK

#15202 May 2, 2013
Far more people are killed per GW generated in the wind turbine industry.
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
No irony! The Inferno of the nuclear age is final for humanity. You don`t have to believe it, it is on their way.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15203 May 2, 2013
henry wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I am concerned, communism would have been the last chance for our survival. Capitalism with its permanent senseless wars is a suicidal society in the nuclear age. The natural huge Desasters are an additional way for the destructure of our race.
Things arent that bad! I think I am right in saying wars today are less frequent and less deadly that ones in the last century. The international powers seem to be fighting each other less. And those wars we have tend to be civil wars in developing countries.
Thinking

Dundee, UK

#15204 May 2, 2013
We might be due a dirty bomb atrocity - I really hope not - but even so, we will have a larger, healthier and safer population than 100 years ago.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Things arent that bad! I think I am right in saying wars today are less frequent and less deadly that ones in the last century. The international powers seem to be fighting each other less. And those wars we have tend to be civil wars in developing countries.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#15205 May 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Go look up the clergy project! Hundreds of preachers, priests, pastors, rabbis even Imams who are now non believers but have to keep their jobs as head of a church,temple,mosque for fear of their life or because they can't afford to quit.
<quoted text>
Being a pastor is a good job. You get
1-A job that requires little work.
2-Some churches offer good pay and housing
3-No taxes
4-A audience willing to pamper you.
5-The right to be your own boss.
6-Sexual access to the members of the congregation.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15206 May 2, 2013
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a pastor is a good job...
But think of Ned Flanders annoying Rev Lovejoy with his personal worries. That would drive anyone nuts!

Scottsburg, IN

#15207 May 2, 2013
Sad but true. I could sleep walk through the local baptist college, become a preacher and have all of that.... But these doggone morals won't let me take advantage of people like that!
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>Being a pastor is a good job. You get
1-A job that requires little work.
2-Some churches offer good pay and housing
3-No taxes
4-A audience willing to pamper you.
5-The right to be your own boss.
6-Sexual access to the members of the congregation.
henry

Rosa, Germany

#15208 May 2, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
In East Germany there are similar cases came up after the counterrevolution. The East Germans have left many religious institutions soon after Western Germany took the east as a hostage. People like Gauck or Merkel are loosers at the religious field. They will never again win back what is lost there. East Germany will never come back into the Protestant or Catholic Churches.
henry

Rosa, Germany

#15209 May 2, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps it depends what you call an atheist. I was a 'Christian' according to the 2001 census and I haven't seriously believed in a god since I realised Santa Claus wasn't real.
Arguably, non-believers are the majority...
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religion-and...
I don't think religion is considered important to most Brits and why would a non-believer care if their called atheist or not? I regard 'atheist' as something religionists call me.
In East Germany before counterrevolution the country had an excellent educational system and this caused even afterwards that religions never can win back a religious conquista.
henry

Rosa, Germany

#15210 May 2, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Higher than 50%, and higher yet in the Republican Party, which thankfully lost the last Pres. election.
Sixty five percent of American adults favor prayer in public schools, according to a new survey........
UK is much less religious,
alas with establish churches.
Ironic?
Well, the common US educational system especially at the religious belt is in a very bad condition. So religious indoctrination is much easier to handle than in an atheistic country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 3 min Wilcox 1,155
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr Science 1,412
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 hr Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web