Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24099 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15169 Apr 29, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
..you believe in miracles that defy even the logic of 5 yrs old(splitting of moon,,etc.)
You have to admit that splitting the moon would be an impressive trick, makes the magic tricks of lesser prophets seem like mere amateurs :D

Since: Mar 12

Pune, India

#15170 Apr 29, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to admit that splitting the moon would be an impressive trick, makes the magic tricks of lesser prophets seem like mere amateurs :D
hehe..true
Thinking

Dundee, UK

#15171 Apr 29, 2013
But he did! The Moon was in half yet just one quarter of a lunar month later it was back!

To paraphrase Paul Daniels, "That's tragic."
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15172 Apr 29, 2013
Not to mention the catastrophic events that would happen on earth if the moon was ripped in half.

We would still be getting pelted with moon meteors the size of Volkswagens!
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>You have to admit that splitting the moon would be an impressive trick, makes the magic tricks of lesser prophets seem like mere amateurs :D
Imhotep

United States

#15173 Apr 29, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
This is exactly what I'm looking for!
I've just emailed her with my name, home address, phone number and details of my bank account.
How about that account in the Cayman Islands?
Power of attorney
At least one child and change your will

My solicitors are available
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15174 Apr 29, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. The media generally distinguish between the vast majority of muslims who follow a moderate islam, and a fringe minority of extremists who support terrorism. If anything would say the media makes excuses for islam, and understate the extent of fundamentalism, for fear of being called racist or intolerant.
Why go further, look at this thread itself and see "general condemnation of every Muslim".

So the people on these thread are not "typical Westerners"?

If they be an "average Westerner, what else we expect from the Media"?

Your observation is answered on this thread itself!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15175 Apr 29, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Contradiction statements really make discussion go astray.
See your contradictory statements.I should have asked it earlier as you say but that doesn't mean I have been unreasonably asking questions
Your God is independent but he needs our services.
Your God made rigid physical laws.But you believe in miracles that defy even the logic of 5 yrs old(splitting of moon,,etc.)
You are saying your God is a perfect planner and provided everything for human beings.
Yet I don't see any perfection in the earth itself and I pointed out to the some of the facts regarding that.
Considering these contradiction, I can only say you had baffled me throughout the discussion contrary to your promise of clearing doubt that you made at beginning
I said, have a nice day and enjoy your life.

Is it not sufficient?

Scottsburg, IN

#15176 Apr 29, 2013
You see countries where little girls can't be out up for sale alongside hamburgers as an evil country. Is that why you support the killing of innocents in such countries Muq?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>Why go further, look at this thread itself and see "general condemnation of every Muslim".

So the people on these thread are not "typical Westerners"?

If they be an "average Westerner, what else we expect from the Media"?

Your observation is answered on this thread itself!!
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15177 Apr 30, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
..So the people on these thread are not "typical Westerners"?
No I dont think this thread is representative of Westerns in general. Only a small (but growing rapidly) proportion of the population are Atheists. And being an Atheist forum, most people here do not believe God exists. And I think it fair to say are skeptical of religious claims, and can be spirited in their debate. Maybe crossing the line of decency from time to time.

I dont think you should take this as an attack on Islam however. As people are critical of all religions. All religions are equally silly, as I am sure you can see how claims made by Christians are very silly. Perhaps if you expressed a less fundamentalist stance, people could be more friendly. It really depends what you want. To search for the truth, or preach Islam to unbelievers.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15178 Apr 30, 2013
SG wrote:
01. God is invisible. No one has seen or heard from God. People today who claim to see or hear from God or angels, we say are suffering from a visual or auditory hallucination. i.e. they are mistaken, or are possibly mad.

02. God is very much inactive. He is a do nothing entity. If you pray for an amputated limb to grow back it wont.

03. Neither will any other prayers be answered. The reality is bad things happen to good people all the time, despite their petitions to a variety of heavenly entities.

04. Putting us to the test, makes sense in theory. But you would at least expect clear instructions to be given to all the various peoples on earth.

05. Instead each part of the world has different myths concerning gods and the afterlife. We all know all the other gods and religions are false right?

06. Why would God give his revelations to desert nomads, and not to the Chinese or Red Indians? I think its much more likely that the "God" that exists is feelings that people have inside their heads.

07. Wouldn't this explanation account for different cultures having such contradictory and confusing interpretations of spiritual things?
Ans.

Your post is strange mixture of truth and falsehood and they are so mixed with each other that it is very difficult to separate one from the other.

This happens when one does not know what he is talking about and has very little knowledge but poses as if "he or she is Know All"!!

I shall post small comments on major point of your post.

01. No one has seen God is correct. In fact no one "Can" see God is more correct. Because our eyes have limitations what they see. So it is limitations of our eyes that we do not or cannot see God.

I do not know that even angels see God, but this is a different matter.

Not every Tom, Dick or Harry gets revelation from God. It is an extremely rare phenomenon amongst humans. God selects one man from the whole nation and he is the one who gets revelation.

All other people of the nation, for many generations have to accept the teachings of that prophet.

02. How do you KNOW your prayers are not answered? How our body "heals", does our medicines really heal?

03. Bad things happening to good people is for their test and good things happening to bad people is their "pay back" in this world. It is your choice to take what you want.

04. Putting us to test is what it is all about. If you do not want to believe in it, take gamble with your life.

05. So many things are common amongst different major religions, that shows clearly that they originated from the same source. Then with passage of time, distortions and corruptions were made.

06. Who said God did not give revelation to Chinese or Red Indians? As per Quran there was no nation to which warners were not sent.

But the Last and Final Prophet with Universal message was sent to Arabia. If instead of Arabia it would have been sent to any other country, the same Question would have been asked.

God Knows which Prophet to sent to what nations and with 1400 years of Hindsight, Arabs did their job wonderfully and propagated the message of all known parts of the world at their time.

07. No your explanation is not sufficient and it lacks study of commonalities between different religions.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15179 Apr 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
No I dont think this thread is representative of Westerns in general. Only a small (but growing rapidly) proportion of the population are Atheists....
Perhaps it depends what you call an atheist. I was a 'Christian' according to the 2001 census and I haven't seriously believed in a god since I realised Santa Claus wasn't real.

Arguably, non-believers are the majority...
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/religion-and...
I don't think religion is considered important to most Brits and why would a non-believer care if their called atheist or not? I regard 'atheist' as something religionists call me.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15180 Apr 30, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted>
Arguably, non-believers are the majority...
Maybe thats true in the UK. I guess it depends on the question being asked. But I think when talking "Westerns" in general, esp. the US >50% subscribe to some form of theism. Of course having a majority position does not mean you are right. As we state all the time here, the religions are based on poor evidence, and all contradict each other, so have to be wrong.

Scottsburg, IN

#15181 Apr 30, 2013
Again you just spam blast the beard with your scribd page nonsense?

How about instead of wasting people's time and bandwidth you explain why so many Muslims are terrorizing innocent people who just want to live their lives?
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

Your post

01. No one has seen God is correct.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15182 Apr 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
..you explain why so many Muslims are terrorizing innocent people who just want to live their lives?
<quoted text>
Didnt you know islam means peeeeeace. When the messenger of allah recited the quran, thr religion of peeeace to his devoted followers, tears ran down their faces as they had never heard anything so beautiful in their lives ;)... and they lived happily ever after... according to Muq :D
Lincoln

United States

#15183 Apr 30, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe thats true in the UK. I guess it depends on the question being asked. But I think when talking "Westerns" in general, esp. the US >50% subscribe to some form of theism. Of course having a majority position does not mean you are right. As we state all the time here, the religions are based on poor evidence, and all contradict each other, so have to be wrong.
Higher than 50%, and higher yet in the Republican Party, which thankfully lost the last Pres. election.

Sixty five percent of American adults favor prayer in public schools, according to a new survey........

UK is much less religious,
alas with establish churches.

Ironic?

Scottsburg, IN

#15184 Apr 30, 2013
Lol! Muslims can't even live in peace with each other! They call other Muslims infidels for following a slightly different version of Islam!

They behave like beasts.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Didnt you know islam means peeeeeace. When the messenger of allah recited the quran, thr religion of peeeace to his devoted followers, tears ran down their faces as they had never heard anything so beautiful in their lives ;)... and they lived happily ever after... according to Muq :D
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15185 Apr 30, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol! Muslims can't even live in peace with each other! They call other Muslims infidels for following a slightly different version of Islam!
They behave like beasts.
<quoted text>
Agreed. Same goes with Christianity. Fundies teach their is no salvation in the catholic church. And catholics teach only their church has the fullness of truth. They all think they have the truth, and all the other 39,999 sects are in massive error. Very rare to find a tolerant religious person on topix.

Scottsburg, IN

#15186 Apr 30, 2013
Of course and it goes to show just how silly the idea of a god is! How could a loving god allow his current representatives on earth to screw up so badly? Before in the bible if a generation or two went by and they were teaching something the slightest bit wrong he came down and punished them.

Now we have thousands of different takes on Christianity alone? They can't all be right but they all think their particular spin is the correct one.

If a god really existed and cared a teensy bit about people he would have cleared this all up centuries ago.
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. Same goes with Christianity. Fundies teach their is no salvation in the catholic church. And catholics teach only their church has the fullness of truth. They all think they have the truth, and all the other 39,999 sects are in massive error. Very rare to find a tolerant religious person on topix.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#15187 Apr 30, 2013
Thinking wrote:
But he did! The Moon was in half yet just one quarter of a lunar month later it was back!
To paraphrase Paul Daniels, "That's tragic."
<quoted text>
Don't forget, it also makes light.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#15188 May 1, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Of course and it goes to show just how silly the idea of a god is! How could a loving god allow his current representatives on earth to screw up so badly? Before in the bible if a generation or two went by and they were teaching something the slightest bit wrong he came down and punished them.
Now we have thousands of different takes on Christianity alone? They can't all be right but they all think their particular spin is the correct one.
If a god really existed and cared a teensy bit about people he would have cleared this all up centuries ago.
<quoted text>
I had to school an idiot racist Christian by the name of Raptor on the concept of Original sin.
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T9T7S93H1F7J6...

http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/T9T7S93H1F7J6...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 min Into The Night 18,704
A Universe from Nothing? 7 min Into The Night 618
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 20 min Patrick 10,091
Good arguments against Christianity 22 min Patrick 234
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 256,637
News Athiest tells high schoolers God is evil (May '11) 4 hr Eagle 12 808
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Into The Night 43,411
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr Thinking 794
More from around the web