Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,982

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15072 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did god create all this stuff from?
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Well this is of course a state secret!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15073 Apr 26, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
god gave man free will, this is why we see all those things like murder and terrorism. For god to act on anyone thing he would have to act on all things, thus take away free will...but god has faith in man to do the right thing and man has faith in god. The problem is not with god but with man..man does what he wants then blames god is a man that has lowered himself.
Oh, what a pity for the dear god
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15074 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, your single sentence (two if we are blessed) assertions are such a good argument, we'd all be foolish to even try to play a devil's advocate.
Never mind the poor devil is absent too. What a misery! All these myths are over worked! But don`t worry the trade union will look into this case.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15075 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
I supppose he has a secret workshop!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15076 Apr 26, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
How did earth get created without a God, dust CANNOT!!!! create itself, rocks cannot create itself and chemicals cannot create itself to create earth. That's perfect evidence, and I'll like to see you disprove it.
How did man handle this? Ask the CIA or the FBI? Or ask the pope!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15077 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Perhaps the pope has a direct wire to his boss!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15078 Apr 26, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you assume, fallaciously, that everything must be created. Tell me, is gravity created or the result of mass?
Easy question, just ask the pope or the boss!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15079 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Will.
Now there's an argument for you to become a murderer.
After all, god already has your life scripted.
And your defense in court would be: that god's plan for me.
And, for some reason, good, honest Christians will risk their eternal soul by violating one of the commandments by sentencing you to death.
But I suppose the jury will hire a lawyer at their judgement time and try to weasel out of that. After all, the jury didn't actually kill - they just did it by proxy. God won't see through that ruse at all.
Sorry, but at judgment time the lawyers will be over worked!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15080 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Quite easy, he may have a secret workshop!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15081 Apr 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would presume so-- their religion was tailor-made to fit nomadic horse-barbarians after all.
I'm actually quite surprised it doesn't also permit cannibalism of their enemies, as that was quite common in very primitive and barbaric cultures.
I suppose those verses were edited out later....?
That seems likely.
There was an US-preident who told us he had daily talks with god. Of course only while acting as a president!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15082 Apr 26, 2013
EdSed wrote:
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/b log/archives/7192
A general rise in both education and intelligence?

Could be....

:)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15084 Apr 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A general rise in both education and intelligence?
Could be....
:)
I thought our stats professor Nightserf would like to be aware of that misleading screwbarb. Even the CofE cannot be trusted. Who'd have guessed?:-)

I don't know if this article is of any interest in the USA, but the New Humanist has some interesting comments on topical debates...
http://thenewhumanism.org/authors/paul-chiari...
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15085 Apr 26, 2013
Sorry, the link was to New Humanism, a US publication. New Humanist is the Rationalist Association publication, in Britain.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#15086 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how many muslims would go to prayer 5 times a day if there wasn't a threat of imprisonment or worse.
If they were so convinced, then why is there a God squad of religious police in Saudi Arabia?
Absolutely!

Mind you, those religious police do a great job rounding up and deporting handsome men.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/mid...

It would be better if all the men in Saudi Arabia wore hijabs. After all, what's sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15087 Apr 26, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
..deporting handsome men.....
I sympathise. I get that a lot myself.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#15088 Apr 26, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I sympathise. I get that a lot myself.
I know what you mean - Paisley couldn't handle my youthful good looks.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#15089 Apr 26, 2013
FS wrote:
01. Nothing in my previous post was irrelevant to our discussion.
There is no evolution of physical laws. Physical laws never change. You shouldn't have even asked this question as it is very obvious that physical laws don't change. And I have explained that those physical laws need not be created as they do not exist in palpable form. They are just our comprehension as to how matters and energies interact.

02. I have also explained why physical laws must not have been conceived by God and I explained why those laws cannot be similar to thoughts, plans and creation of God's mind. They are facts and our comprehension of nature's different mechanisms.

03. Please be particular and show the flaws in my statements. I am liberal enough to accept truths.

Read my previous post again if you didn't understand.

04. I have asked you to explain your stance on the issue .I will not elaborate further until you explain your stance as a counter to mine or say that you agree with me.
That is how a debate should proceed.
Ans.

First quality of a sincere person is to say I do not know or I have no information about it.

But I see this quality is missing in you, you just make outstanding, blandish claims, without having any knowledge about the issue.

You said that "Physical laws, did not evolve, they did not change, they are same over the ages, since the creation of this Universe".

Then you said "I do not see God having any hand in creation of these Physical laws?

Are not these two statements contradicting each other?

If these laws were not made, then did the "created themselves" or 'Just came there by chance"?

Your explanation of how these laws came about is not based on any knowledge or any reasoning.

On the other hand, presence of these laws and their Not Changing behavior over ages is very "Strong Proof" of a Very Sold "Planning, Design, Wisdom, Knowledge of a Very Powerful Creator".

That is why I said, if you only observe this Universe and how it works, it would lead you to God, provided you do not bias your mind against Him.

And side by side all the "models" which other religions have proposed for their gods, shall melt away and you will see the Islamic Version of God as the Only one which solves all your problems, and that is the one which will lead you to truth.

Summary:

Your "assumption" that these Laws were not created, but just came "naturally" is very faulty.

And you did not bring any proofs for it.

The argument that these laws are created by God in the very starting of the Universe, speak of not only His presence, but His Wisdom, Knowledge, Power and Mercy etc.
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#15090 Apr 26, 2013
SG wrote:
01. The Christians say the exact same about their religion. The fact is that the religion we have is almost always the one we were born in. People in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia will follow Islam because that is the religion of their upbringing. Here there is lots of diversity, some Christians, some Muslims, many Atheists and those with no religion.

02. To an impartial observer, say an alien who arrives in a spaceship, all these different contradictory belief systems, will strike him as totally man made.

03. If a deity exists, he could implant the correct knowledge directly into peoples' brains. Without the need for "holy" books. He could provide clear instructions, not the hodge podge of stories of the Bible or the Quran. A caring deity could give everyone the same set of clear beliefs, so people could make an informed choice.

04. What we have is an invisible, silent and inactive deity, that lets us believe in a bunch of contradictory myths... which is exactly the scenario we would get if there was no personal God. What a coincidence!!!
Ans.

01. Every one can make any claim which they want. You do not have to accept or reject all these claims at face value.

Ask them to bring the proofs of what they believe and then analyze them, if you use your Brain, you will find out the truth.

How come people in Jeddah now believe in Islam when 1400 years ago, their parents did not know about Islam? Did they not make switch over?

How come most of Europe is Christian, why they changed their religion of their original forefathers?

02. If that Alien Spacecraft Pilot is as close minded as you are, he may think the same. But if he asks the question from different groups, he will know who is speaking the truth.

03. This could be your idea that Creator should "inplant the true info" into each and every individual.

This could be your way of doing it, but do you think it is possible?

04. We do not have an "invisible, silent and in active Creator…" He is not Invisible and He is not inactive. Without His presence and control, this Universe cannot function even for a Microsecond.

He has given humans freedom of Choice and this life is a test. The results shall be known in the hereafter.

If you want to gamble with you life, I cannot help you.

The loss shall be yours and not mine.

MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#15091 Apr 26, 2013
GM wrote:

But you are making the assumption that a creator of the universe is also the same creature that your religion worships.

The universe is quite amazing from what we've revealed. But yet, you present that same creature created it to mundane prohibitions like eating pork.

All this sounds like your god is a micro-manager from hell. And that your lifetime review will be no surprise. No raise and promotion is out of the question.

But maybe... if you pray harder, you'll please Her. Is that what you are counting on?

You contradict yourself.

You claim you aren't for an "ism" but the rest of your post is advocating an "ism".

I wonder how many muslims would go to prayer 5 times a day if there wasn't a threat of imprisonment or worse.

If they were so convinced, then why is there a God squad of religious police in Saudi Arabia?
Ans.

01. Please tell the "Qualities" of the Creator of the Universe, which your observations "reveal".

Then we will see how the concept of God which we worship tallies and surpasses all that which your observations tell you.

02. So you thing eating Pork is all that religion is about?

03. Do you know what is Ism? To call Islam as ism, shows only your ignorance.

04. I am living for many years in Saudi Arabia, and I have not seen any one being jailed for not going to prayers.

The people who do not close down their shops in market at prayer times, might face some penalty for violation of local laws.

You should know that in Islam there is no separation between Secular and religious duties. Ruler of state is also responsible to see that Islamic system is enforce on ground.

And if you think, every one is so reasonable to follow laws and rules, why you have Traffic Police and Normal Police in your countries?

Why do you not leave it to "good sense" of citizens to follow these "Most reasonable laws"

The truth is you protect which you consider is of value. There is no value of religion in your countries, so you do not care a damn about it.

In Islam it is different.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#15092 Apr 26, 2013
None of this was asked of you so you are just spam blasting again.

Islam is different? Tell us what does Islam say should be done to those who leave Islam? What are you to do to those who commit Islamic apostasy?
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

01. Please tell the
In Islam it is different.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 5 min Adam 1,018
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Eagle 12 229,934
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 8 hr Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. 8 hr Thinking 87
Islam for peace, or violence? 23 hr Thinking 26
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 16 Mikko 1,401

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE