Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23869 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#15064 Apr 26, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
god gave man free will, this is why we see all those things like murder and terrorism. For god to act on anyone thing he would have to act on all things, thus take away free will...but god has faith in man to do the right thing and man has faith in god. The problem is not with god but with man..man does what he wants then blames god is a man that has lowered himself.
Free Will.

Now there's an argument for you to become a murderer.

After all, god already has your life scripted.

And your defense in court would be: that god's plan for me.

And, for some reason, good, honest Christians will risk their eternal soul by violating one of the commandments by sentencing you to death.

But I suppose the jury will hire a lawyer at their judgement time and try to weasel out of that. After all, the jury didn't actually kill - they just did it by proxy. God won't see through that ruse at all.

Nehwon

#15065 Apr 26, 2013
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
To be "Genuine Christian™" one must not think.
Only for the laity.

If you want to rise in the ranks of righteousness, you better think and find out where your competitors buried the bodies.

Nehwon

#15066 Apr 26, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask these follows are they following Buddha?
Did Buddha made a statue of him and asked his followers to kneel before it and worship it?
Who did it?
Ask the same people and then why they call themselves Buddhists when they do not follow Buddha?
PS:
And what I said about Buddhists, is true for most other religions. Christians do not follow Jesus.
Hindus do not follow their Vedas etc.
People who mostly follow their scriptures are Jews and Muslims.
But Jews have confined themselves into a racism and do not preach and propagate their religions to other people.
It is Muslims who follow the example of their prophet and preach and propagate their religion to every part of the world.
And every nation, race, language and ethnic group is welcome into this house of Universal Brotherhood, the biggest Non Racial organization you would find in the world, even in our present times.
I am not boasting. It is true.
I wonder how many muslims would go to prayer 5 times a day if there wasn't a threat of imprisonment or worse.

If they were so convinced, then why is there a God squad of religious police in Saudi Arabia?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15067 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder how many muslims would go to prayer 5 times a day if there wasn't a threat of imprisonment or worse...
The threat of social exclusion, or simply the problem of 'being different' or disobedient to parents can be enough. There is often pressure to conform.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15068 Apr 26, 2013
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15069 Apr 26, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
oh how I wish it were true that the worst sorts of religion would fade out. I am not that optimistic. I would settle for just getting rid of the evil aspects of religion. the ones that are harmless. i have Christian friends who have gotten rid of some of the worst parts, I think, in their views.
In capitalism on the nuclear age mankind will cease to exist! The human race is on its way to vanish!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15070 Apr 26, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
How did earth get created without a God, dust CANNOT!!!! create itself, rocks cannot create itself and chemicals cannot create itself to create earth. That's perfect evidence, and I'll like to see you disprove it.
How did some people get some queer ideas? Why not instead turn to science?
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15071 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Will.
And, for some reason, good, honest Christians will risk their eternal soul by violating one of the commandments by sentencing you to death.
But I suppose the jury will hire a lawyer at their judgement time and try to weasel out of that. After all, the jury didn't actually kill - they just did it by proxy. God won't see through that ruse at all.
What a silly god! Could anyone help him?
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15072 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did god create all this stuff from?
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Well this is of course a state secret!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15073 Apr 26, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
god gave man free will, this is why we see all those things like murder and terrorism. For god to act on anyone thing he would have to act on all things, thus take away free will...but god has faith in man to do the right thing and man has faith in god. The problem is not with god but with man..man does what he wants then blames god is a man that has lowered himself.
Oh, what a pity for the dear god
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15074 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, your single sentence (two if we are blessed) assertions are such a good argument, we'd all be foolish to even try to play a devil's advocate.
Never mind the poor devil is absent too. What a misery! All these myths are over worked! But don`t worry the trade union will look into this case.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15075 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
I supppose he has a secret workshop!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15076 Apr 26, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
How did earth get created without a God, dust CANNOT!!!! create itself, rocks cannot create itself and chemicals cannot create itself to create earth. That's perfect evidence, and I'll like to see you disprove it.
How did man handle this? Ask the CIA or the FBI? Or ask the pope!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15077 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Perhaps the pope has a direct wire to his boss!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15078 Apr 26, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... you assume, fallaciously, that everything must be created. Tell me, is gravity created or the result of mass?
Easy question, just ask the pope or the boss!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15079 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Free Will.
Sorry, but at judgment time the lawyers will be over worked!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15080 Apr 26, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
and who created god?
mysterious ways?
Quite easy, he may have a secret workshop!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15081 Apr 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I would presume so-- their religion was tailor-made to fit nomadic horse-barbarians after all.
I'm actually quite surprised it doesn't also permit cannibalism of their enemies, as that was quite common in very primitive and barbaric cultures.
I suppose those verses were edited out later....?
That seems likely.
There was an US-preident who told us he had daily talks with god. Of course only while acting as a president!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15082 Apr 26, 2013
EdSed wrote:
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/b log/archives/7192
A general rise in both education and intelligence?

Could be....

:)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#15084 Apr 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A general rise in both education and intelligence?
Could be....
:)
I thought our stats professor Nightserf would like to be aware of that misleading screwbarb. Even the CofE cannot be trusted. Who'd have guessed?:-)

I don't know if this article is of any interest in the USA, but the New Humanist has some interesting comments on topical debates...
http://thenewhumanism.org/authors/paul-chiari...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 12 min Reason Personified 152
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Brian_G 34,988
There are no such things as gods or fairies 50 min Amused 102
Majority of Scots now have no religion 53 min Amused 163
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 56 min Amused 138
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 56 min An NFL Fan 20,075
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Cujo 282
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Brian_G 14,935
More from around the web