Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23770 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15044 Apr 25, 2013
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think laws are necessarily created?
I think you are comparing physical laws with the judicial laws of different countries.
Physical laws are facts as well as abstract concepts.I don't think they need any creator.You have to answer me why such abstract concepts need a creator?
Though they control nature and matter(tangible ones),they themselves are not palpable or tangible.
And of course these abstract laws are not a result of contemplation of any human mind or God.If God has created these physical laws then definitely universe must have been having a mental aspect.Otherwise if one is to consider it rationally,it couldn't have been possible for him to establish these laws of universe.However,there is no such proof that universe having a mental aspect.We have been knowing it in terms of physical existence but not the one I said.(this is just my opinion.Don't become whiny that I am answering my own question.I want to hear your part what do you think of it).
Let's consider different legal systems and laws of countries.They all are ideas,right?Our governments frame these ideas in their minds and pass it onto people's minds.This is how we know them ,right?
This also proves the obvious fact that if there is no mental aspect of human beings,we cannot share ideas,right?
Let's say God has designed universe and framed those physical laws,that means God is telling matters to follow them,right?
Doesn't this mean that earth,sun,in fact,every atom of universe has a mental aspect?.Is it true? No.(if you feel yes,explain me)
This is from my side.
Now I want to hear it from your side
Explain me why creator must have been there for physical laws?
Again you are muddling the basis issue by raising all those unnecessary discussion.

You should stay focused at the main issue and should not diverge.

If the Physical laws were not "Created" then did they "Evolved"?

Can these laws create themselves or just came by chance?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15045 Apr 25, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
A nice story. Except the prophets all teach different and contradictory things.
To take an example, I was watching this morning NHK World, on satellite, the Japanese new channel.
There was an interesting documentary on Zen Buddhism. There was a number of religious practices on show, including statues of Buddha, praying for ancestors, meditating for enlightenment, monks collecting alms, praying sutras to expel bad spirits. There is no worship of one God of Abraham here. This religion seems very foreign and wholly different to the Abrahamic religions popular in the West and Middle East. What is your explanation?
Ask these follows are they following Buddha?

Did Buddha made a statue of him and asked his followers to kneel before it and worship it?

Who did it?

Ask the same people and then why they call themselves Buddhists when they do not follow Buddha?

PS:

And what I said about Buddhists, is true for most other religions. Christians do not follow Jesus.

Hindus do not follow their Vedas etc.

People who mostly follow their scriptures are Jews and Muslims.

But Jews have confined themselves into a racism and do not preach and propagate their religions to other people.

It is Muslims who follow the example of their prophet and preach and propagate their religion to every part of the world.

And every nation, race, language and ethnic group is welcome into this house of Universal Brotherhood, the biggest Non Racial organization you would find in the world, even in our present times.

I am not boasting. It is true.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#15046 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to your "unsolicited" words as authority or proof for such an important issue.
You only show your ignorance and haughty nature by making such "childish statements"
You are a spineless little godbot why will you not comment on:-

Is this because you agree with the murder of young girls?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#15047 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are muddling the basis issue by raising all those unnecessary discussion.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#15048 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask these follows are they following Buddha?
Did Buddha made a statue of him and asked his followers to kneel before it and worship it?
Who did it?
Ask the same people and then why they call themselves Buddhists when they do not follow Buddha?
PS:
And what I said about Buddhists, is true for most other religions. Christians do not follow Jesus.
Hindus do not follow their Vedas etc.
People who mostly follow their scriptures are Jews and Muslims.
But Jews have confined themselves into a racism and do not preach and propagate their religions to other people.
It is Muslims who follow the example of their prophet and preach and propagate their religion to every part of the world.
And every nation, race, language and ethnic group is welcome into this house of Universal Brotherhood, the biggest Non Racial organization you would find in the world, even in our present times.
I am not boasting. It is true.

Pune, India

#15049 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in my previous post was irrelevant to our discussion.
There is no evolution of physical laws.Physical laws never change.You shouldn't have even asked this question as it is very obvious that physical laws don't change.And I have explained that those physical laws need not be created as they do not exist in palpable form.They are just our comprehension as to how matters and energies interact.I have also explained why physical laws must not have been conceived by God and I explained why those laws cannot be similar to thoughts,plans and creation of God's mind.They are facts and our comprehension of nature's different mechanisms.
Please be particular and show the flaws in my statements.I am liberal enough to accept truths.
Read my previous post again if you didn't understand.
I have asked you to explain your stance on the issue .I will not elaborate further until you explain your stance as a counter to mine or say that you agree with me.
That is how a debate should proceed.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15050 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>..
And every nation, race, language and ethnic group is welcome into this house of Universal Brotherhood,..
The Christians say the exact same about their religion. The fact is that the religion we have is almost always the one we were born in. People in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia will follow Islam because that is the religion of their upbringing. Here there is lots of diversity, some Christians, some Muslims, many Atheists and those with no religion.

To an impartial observer, say an alien who arrives in a spaceship, all these different contradictory belief systems, will strike him as totally man made.

If a deity exists, he could implant the correct knowledge directly into peoples' brains. Without the need for "holy" books. He could provide clear instructions, not the hodge podge of stories of the Bible or the Quran. A caring deity could give everyone the same set of clear beliefs, so people could make an informed choice.

What we have is an invisible, silent and inactive deity, that lets us believe in a bunch of contradictory myths... which is exactly the scenario we would get if there was no personal God. What a coincidence!!!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15051 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not going to your "unsolicited" words as authority or proof for such an important issue.
You only show your ignorance and haughty nature by making such "childish statements"
I have proof your ugly little godling is not real.

No self-respecting god would permit such as YOU to represent it's good name.

None.

Proving to 100% that you are NOT representing ANY god.

At all.

Too Easy--- your god isn't real, because YOU are an ASS.

Simple.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15052 Apr 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that no one who has died has ever came back pretty much opposes your god's existence. If there was an afterlife, people would come back. So if someone did die and come back, that would support an afterlife, thus, only if you claim one exists would killing yourself be able to provide evidence that you are correct.
All religions are fakes!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15053 Apr 25, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
god gave man free will, this is why we see all those things like murder and terrorism. For god to act on anyone thing he would have to act on all things, thus take away free will...but god has faith in man to do the right thing and man has faith in god. The problem is not with god but with man..man does what he wants then blames god is a man that has lowered himself.
In the atomic age capitalism is the last society for a living humanity. There is no chance to survive!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15054 Apr 25, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
How did earth get created without a God, dust CANNOT!!!! create itself, rocks cannot create itself and chemicals cannot create itself to create earth. That's perfect evidence, and I'll like to see you disprove it.
In the history of man there was never any god!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15055 Apr 25, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
god gave man free will, this is why we see all those things like murder and terrorism. For god to act on anyone thing he would have to act on all things, thus take away free will...but god has faith in man to do the right thing and man has faith in god. The problem is not with god but with man..man does what he wants then blames god is a man that has lowered himself.
Of course in the humane history all the thousands of mythical gods were neverreal at all!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15056 Apr 25, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
Never any god, all religions are fakes!
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15057 Apr 25, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
How did earth get created without a God, dust CANNOT!!!! create itself, rocks cannot create itself and chemicals cannot create itself to create earth. That's perfect evidence, and I'll like to see you disprove it.
I don`t have to disprove anything. Science proves quite a reality. God did never to prove anything, he just does not exist.
Henry

Chemnitz, Germany

#15058 Apr 25, 2013
neener wrote:
<quoted text>
God gave man nothing, he does not exist and all religions are fakes nothing else.

“Fortes Fortuna Juvat, ”

Since: Dec 09

Wichita. Ks.

#15059 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Muck I thought you were getting out of that hell hole as soon as you contract was up with the air port.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#15060 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
You asked me "Why Physical laws cannot be governed on their own"? First explain "Who Created these Physical Laws"?
Did these laws created themselves or they came by chance?
If you do not answer these basic question, what else should I call such people that even after telling them, again and again, they do not consider or answer these questions.
What else is the option but to say that they are mentally unbalanced?
I am not attacking people, you did not hear what they have already said and keep saying in their posts.
My "counterattack" is much milder and much more polite.
Unless you answer Basic Questions , your findings will be without any base.
But you are making the assumption that a creator of the universe is also the same creature that your religion worships.

The universe is quite amazing from what we've revealed. But yet, you present that same creature created it to mundane prohibitions like eating pork.

All this sounds like your god is a micro-manager from hell. And that your lifetime review will be no surprise. No raise and promotion is out of the question.

But maybe... if you pray harder, you'll please Her. Is that what you are counting on?

Nehwon

#15061 Apr 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not for any "isms", I am only for what guidance we receive from our Creator.
I do not get idea of a "personal God"....the link between Creator and Creation in never broken.
None of my beliefs and arguments are my own, they are based on what info we have from Quran and sayings of our prophet.
If there was no clear guidance from our Creator, it was almost impossible for any two humans to agree on the right path. It was therefore a great mercy from our Creator that He send the guidance thru His chosen prophets.
You contradict yourself.

You claim you aren't for an "ism" but the rest of your post is advocating an "ism".

Nehwon

#15062 Apr 26, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even a single god was ever existing at all
Well, your single sentence (two if we are blessed) assertions are such a good argument, we'd all be foolish to even try to play a devil's advocate.

Nehwon

#15063 Apr 26, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
Where did god create all this stuff from?

and who created god?

mysterious ways?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 min woodtick57 50,947
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 min Uncle Sam 11,510
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 29 min READMORE 29,496
Religion Down Suicide Up 1 hr Patrick 74
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 9 hr emperorjohn 48
News Here are 10 myths and truths about atheism 12 hr nanoanomaly 44
News Speaking for God 13 hr Jaimie 556
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 17 hr ChristineM 9,604
More from around the web