Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23869 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#15003 Apr 23, 2013
Muq has stated that killing even children is acceptable if they are ( causing chaos ) as he put it.
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Still no comment from you on:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2rgSH0h45EoXX
Is this because you agree with the murder of young girls?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#15004 Apr 23, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Muq has stated that killing even children is acceptable if they are ( causing chaos ) as he put it.
<quoted text>
Yep, he is a real low life and thinks he is in a position to preach morals to us atheists.

Scottsburg, IN

#15005 Apr 23, 2013
That is the funny part! I mean that's like a swine telling you to pay your mouth with a napkin between bites!
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, he is a real low life and thinks he is in a position to preach morals to us atheists.

Mumbai, India

#15006 Apr 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you see every thing in Universe and still think that its Creator is imaginary, then you need to get your head examined.
Some thing is seriously wrong with you!!
Come on MUQ,you call everyone insane who doesn't believe in God.But you haven't produced any evidence here that could plausibly explain that God exists.
But your rather coming up with childish posts like this.
Explain me Why physical laws cannot be governed on their own?
Now don't call me a mental patient.You have to prove your point rather than attack on people.
Imhotep

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15007 Apr 23, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
Sadly I think religions will be with us for a long time to come.
No leaders will give up that method of oppressing and control their uneducated masses anytime soon.
(America is the most perfect example. most of your founding fathers were atheists but you cant handle that as a population. Your politicians have to lie because for some reason you don't want a leader unless he's got a magical friend in the sky.
We get the fate we deserve.)
Think for yourselves? No leader wants that!
The long term survival of our species depends on co-operation.
Our world was at a crossroads in the 80's. Thanks to Reagan and Thatcher (boo hiss) we took the path which values money over people rather than the alternative. We cannot go back without global effort.
They have doomed us.
I don't believe they were atheists most of them were Deists and Mason's. Thomas Paine could be the exception, But he was not a founding father.

“Of all the systems of religion that ever were invented, there is no more derogatory to the Almighty, more unedifying to man, more repugnant to reason, and more contradictory to itself than this thing called Christianity”

“That God cannot lie, is no advantage to your argument, because it is no proof that priests can not, or that the Bible does not”

“There are matters in the Bible, said to be done by the express commandment of God, that are shocking to humanity and to every idea we have of moral justice”

“The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.”

“Is it not a species of blasphemy to call the New Testament revealed religion, when we see in it such contradictions and absurdities”
Thomas Paine

Peace on earth?
Not as long as organized religion exists.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15008 Apr 23, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you see every thing in Universe and still think that its Creator is imaginary, then you need to get your head examined.
Some thing is seriously wrong with you!!
If you are purely arguing in favour of Deism, the belief in a "creator", without the need for religions, religious dogma, holy books and miracles, then I am ok with that. However a personal God, a prayer answering one which inspires prophets is very unlikely. Given that on a daily basis we see in the news horrific things like murders, terrorism, earthquakes etc, and God is inactive, and does nothing whilst bad things happen to good people.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15009 Apr 23, 2013
Enjoy life. Life is too short to worry. Have a sausage roll :D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15010 Apr 23, 2013
realist wrote:
Hey atheists,you know that inner thought inside of you that tells you something you are about to do is wrong and you shouldnt do it.That is your GOD conscious that almighty God put in you. its called a spirit. God puts this spirit in everybody. every time you go against your GOD conscious you drift farther and farther away from GOD. finally you will one day call yourself an atheist because you lost your spirit and have no conscious.
your
So basically, you are schizophrenic to an actual clinical level?

That's sad, buddy. Seriously. Get help-- before you go make a bomb or something...
Thinking

Downham Market, UK

#15011 Apr 23, 2013
Are muslims allowed to eat horse?:D
spudgun wrote:
Enjoy life. Life is too short to worry. Have a sausage roll :D

Scottsburg, IN

#15012 Apr 23, 2013
Of course! This is actually a very popular meat in Arabic countries.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Are muslims allowed to eat horse?:D

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#15013 Apr 23, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Are muslims allowed to eat horse?:D
<quoted text>
I would presume so-- their religion was tailor-made to fit nomadic horse-barbarians after all.

I'm actually quite surprised it doesn't also permit cannibalism of their enemies, as that was quite common in very primitive and barbaric cultures.

I suppose those verses were edited out later....?

That seems likely.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15014 Apr 24, 2013
FS wrote:
Come on MUQ, you call everyone insane who doesn't believe in God .

But you haven't produced any evidence here that could plausibly explain that God exists.

But your rather coming up with childish posts like this.

Explain me Why physical laws cannot be governed on their own?

Now don't call me a mental patient. You have to prove your point rather than attack on people.
Ans.

You asked me "Why Physical laws cannot be governed on their own"? First explain "Who Created these Physical Laws"?

Did these laws created themselves or they came by chance?

If you do not answer these basic question, what else should I call such people that even after telling them, again and again, they do not consider or answer these questions.

What else is the option but to say that they are mentally unbalanced?

I am not attacking people, you did not hear what they have already said and keep saying in their posts.

My "counterattack" is much milder and much more polite.

Unless you answer Basic Questions , your findings will be without any base.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#15015 Apr 24, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are purely arguing in favour of Deism, the belief in a "creator", without the need for religions, religious dogma, holy books and miracles, then I am ok with that. However a personal God, a prayer answering one which inspires prophets is very unlikely. Given that on a daily basis we see in the news horrific things like murders, terrorism, earthquakes etc, and God is inactive, and does nothing whilst bad things happen to good people.
I am not for any "isms", I am only for what guidance we receive from our Creator.

I do not get idea of a "personal God"....the link between Creator and Creation in never broken.

None of my beliefs and arguments are my own, they are based on what info we have from Quran and sayings of our prophet.

If there was no clear guidance from our Creator, it was almost impossible for any two humans to agree on the right path. It was therefore a great mercy from our Creator that He send the guidance thru His chosen prophets.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#15016 Apr 24, 2013
Newsflash: "MUQs Claimed All Powerful Deity Unable To Convince Atheists"

Location hidden

#15017 Apr 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
None of my beliefs and arguments are my own, they are based on what info we have from Quran and sayings of our prophet.
Naturally, because if they were your own beliefs and arguments, we would refer to you as a, what's it called again? oh yeah: "a human being".
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#15018 Apr 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>It was therefore a great mercy from our Creator that He send the guidance thru His chosen prophets.
A nice story. Except the prophets all teach different and contradictory things.

To take an example, I was watching this morning NHK World, on satellite, the Japanese new channel.

There was an interesting documentary on Zen Buddhism. There was a number of religious practices on show, including statues of Buddha, praying for ancestors, meditating for enlightenment, monks collecting alms, praying sutras to expel bad spirits. There is no worship of one God of Abraham here. This religion seems very foreign and wholly different to the Abrahamic religions popular in the West and Middle East. What is your explanation?

Location hidden

#15019 Apr 24, 2013
You are the definition of brainwashed - too lazy and scared to think for oneself.

Which is why you defer they thinking and opinion forming to your cult.

Instead of using your brain.

Scottsburg, IN

#15020 Apr 24, 2013
And approved the torture and killing of children right Muq?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>I am not for any "isms", I am only for what guidance we receive from our Creator.

I do not get idea of a "personal God"....the link between Creator and Creation in never broken.

If there was no clear guidance from our Creator, it was almost impossible for any two humans to agree on the right path. It was therefore a great mercy from our Creator that He send the guidance thru His chosen prophets.

Scottsburg, IN

#15021 Apr 24, 2013
Because Muq thinks it's appropriate to buy a 6 year old girl as a bride for the cost of a jacket.
-Skeptic- wrote:
You are the definition of brainwashed - too lazy and scared to think for oneself.

Which is why you defer they thinking and opinion forming to your cult.

Instead of using your brain.

Mumbai, India

#15022 Apr 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
You asked me "Why Physical laws cannot be governed on their own"? First explain "Who Created these Physical Laws"?
Did these laws created themselves or they came by chance?
If you do not answer these basic question, what else should I call such people that even after telling them, again and again, they do not consider or answer these questions.
What else is the option but to say that they are mentally unbalanced?
I am not attacking people, you did not hear what they have already said and keep saying in their posts.
My "counterattack" is much milder and much more polite.
Unless you answer Basic Questions , your findings will be without any base.
Why do you think laws are necessarily created?
I think you are comparing physical laws with the judicial laws of different countries.
Physical laws are facts as well as abstract concepts.I don't think they need any creator.You have to answer me why such abstract concepts need a creator?
Though they control nature and matter(tangible ones),they themselves are not palpable or tangible.
And of course these abstract laws are not a result of contemplation of any human mind or God.If God has created these physical laws then definitely universe must have been having a mental aspect.Otherwise if one is to consider it rationally,it couldn't have been possible for him to establish these laws of universe.However,there is no such proof that universe having a mental aspect.We have been knowing it in terms of physical existence but not the one I said.(this is just my opinion.Don't become whiny that I am answering my own question.I want to hear your part what do you think of it).
Let's consider different legal systems and laws of countries.They all are ideas,right?Our governments frame these ideas in their minds and pass it onto people's minds.This is how we know them ,right?
This also proves the obvious fact that if there is no mental aspect of human beings,we cannot share ideas,right?
Let's say God has designed universe and framed those physical laws,that means God is telling matters to follow them,right?
Doesn't this mean that earth,sun,in fact,every atom of universe has a mental aspect?.Is it true? No.(if you feel yes,explain me)
This is from my side.
Now I want to hear it from your side
Explain me why creator must have been there for physical laws?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Ronnie 34,829
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 45 min Reason Personified 28
News Why I quit atheism 48 min Cujo 272
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 56 min scientia potentia... 14,917
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 20,056
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 1 hr Reason Personified 140
Reasoning with Insanity 1 hr thetruth 64
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 7 hr emperorjohn 189
More from around the web