Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24099 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Lincoln

United States

#14796 Apr 18, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>My problems started in childhood, I was an abused child and was "crucified" when I was 8 years old. My biological father is Satan, the reincarnation of Adam. In Isaiah 27:1 he's called leviathan the piercing, crooked serpent. The serpent is a part of his anatomy.
You may add some of the humor lacking on the forum.
Obviously you are a Republican state senator?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14797 Apr 18, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I've been seeing the same psychiatrist for 36 years, he's Jewish and he does believe in me.
If I were in your position, I would demand a refund.

He hasn't helped your insanity...

... of course, you could have been much-much worse, before...

... I know, I know... that's hard to imagine....

Since: Mar 11

United States

#14798 Apr 18, 2013
Bwahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha !
POE!

Sorry you went way overboard there but it does show how schizophrenic many believers are.

Thanks for the laughs!
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>My problems started in childhood, I was an abused child and was "crucified" when I was 8 years old. My biological father is Satan, the reincarnation of Adam. In Isaiah 27:1 he's called leviathan the piercing, crooked serpent. The serpent is a part of his anatomy.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14799 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Bwahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha !
POE!
Sorry you went way overboard there but it does show how schizophrenic many believers are.
Thanks for the laughs!
<quoted text>
yeah... the insanity is strong in this one...

Scottsburg, IN

#14800 Apr 18, 2013
It's not real man it's gotta be an act.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>yeah... the insanity is strong in this one...

Since: Apr 13

Honolulu, HI

#14801 Apr 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you missed all the destruction, death and terror brought about from that same good teachings.

Tell your story to the 19 year old girl who had her nose and ears chopped off for running away from the man she was forced to marry at age 7.
If someone kills himself over a possibly a nonexistent dream then that seems to be his fault. It's a shame how much stupid people can get to the point they would die for anything

Since: Apr 13

Honolulu, HI

#14802 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>That's fine, if you also ignore the OTHER lessons that religion teaches as well:

1) women are property (common to both Genuine Christianity™ and Genuine Islam™)

2) slaves should obey their masters (same as above)

3) all sex is bad (Genuine Christianity™)

4) sex with kids is fine (common to Genuine Islam™ and Genuine Catholicism™)

5) women should just shut the f**k up, and be good little subservient sex-slaves (common to both Genuine Christianity™ and Genuine Islam™)

6) men are in every way that counts, superior to women and children (common to both Genuine Christianity™ and Genuine Islam™)

7) only men deserve heaven (Genuine Islam™)

There's more, but it's all ugly.
If you are looking at the bad things and the bad things only then that's your fault. I fortunately know which teaching to honor and reject. There will be always be a bad side to anything in this society I always try to look at the good side of things.

Scottsburg, IN

#14803 Apr 18, 2013
Such is the fact with religion.
Cia624 wrote:
<quoted text>If someone kills himself over a possibly a nonexistent dream then that seems to be his fault. It's a shame how much stupid people can get to the point they would die for anything

Scottsburg, IN

#14804 Apr 18, 2013
Like being a cafeteria Christian. Sadly this doesn't work because the religious will inevitably always go to those bad scriptures as an excuse to do great injustice upon others.

It's unavoidable.
Cia624 wrote:
<quoted text>If you are looking at the bad things and the bad things only then that's your fault. I fortunately know which teaching to honor and reject. There will be always be a bad side to anything in this society I always try to look at the good side of things.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#14806 Apr 18, 2013
Cia624 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are looking at the bad things and the bad things only then that's your fault. I fortunately know which teaching to honor and reject. There will be always be a bad side to anything in this society I always try to look at the good side of things.
So there's good and bad in the Bible.

Nice to see you know that and you're not one of those people who hang on every syllable as an indication of their god's transcendent love and goodness.

This process of selecting the good from the bad also works with many other holy books (Quran, Avesta, Gita, etc).

In reality, the standard by which you set your level of morality comes from you and has nothing to do with any unproveable cosmic mega-being.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#14807 Apr 19, 2013
FS wrote:
01. You do not have convincing answers and it shows that your faith on your religion is based on irrationality and is a result of years of indoctrination of it on you.

02. Your belief is merely based on a disputed intuition that 'everything has beginning'.

Why couldn't you extrapolate the same thought to the possibility of your God might had a beginning and have not been existing without a start?.
Nah!

There you would argue that God has no start or no end.

03. But if someone argues the possibility that there might be some physical cosmic energies and forces(which are not having egos) that might have been existing without a beginning and caused big bang then people like you would definitely conclude that it is wrong and illogical.

04. I have never denied the possibility of God but I surely reject the 'God' that religions present before masses since they are based on loose grounds.

05. Moreover, these religions(I think all religions) were actually started by the people who claimed to have divine power or been considered as God's messengers.

06. Hypocrisy is one of the traits that many people possess. Why shouldn't one consider the possibility of those 'messengers' might been hypocrites?

Had not they been hypocrites they would have left some absolute irrefutable reasons that can convince any sane mind on this planet.

Please explain the evidences that you claim to have been scattered all over universe which may prove God.
Ans.

01. There is no one who will awake the one who “pretends” to be sleeping. So I do not know what you will call as “convincing” arguments.

02. What is wrong in believing that “every thing” should have a beginning? Did you find any thing which did not have a beginning?

03. And it is also logical that God be above “everything”, if He also has a beginning, then He is not God, there was some one before Him?

So it is only God which has no beginning and no end. Everything else has a beginning and shall have an end too.

04. Please tell me how that Cosmic energy came into being and did it make all those laws itself? This is much more unreasonable and illogical than the concept of God.

05. All major religions were started by prophets of God, they got revelation from God. None of them was God or had divine powers.

06. If you accuse them of being hypocrites, why should you yourself be not hypocrite? What is your proof that you are not hypocrite?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#14808 Apr 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:

In other words, it's up to individuals to interpret it as they see it.

No wonder you're killing each other.

Just because men and women are different does not mean that you accentuate those differences by imposing various detriments on women by treating them less favorably to men.

That may have worked in the 14th century but it has no place in the civilized world.

Civilized + Islam

Words that don't go well together.
Ans.

1. The interpretation should be in line which Quran and the prophet indicated.

They are killing each other because they are not following Quran and sayings and actions ofd prophet and his companions.

02. I am happy that you agrred that “men and women are different” from each other!!

When they are different, so what is illogical that they have “different” rights from each other?

Women are not treated “less favorably” in Islam, they are not loaded with “double the burdedn” as they do in west.

She has to look “pleasing” to her boss in office and have a “plesing smiles for all her co=workers” and then come home and look “pleasing to her husband”.

She has to manage her job and her house also, no doubt you have more and more cases of single parent homes and more and more men and women getting attracted to each other.

03. In fact it is Islam that provides true civlisation. What we see in west is just false equality between sexes and the extreme of it.
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#14809 Apr 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
She has to manage her job and her house also, no doubt you have more and more cases of single parent homes and more and more men and women getting attracted to each other.
You're saying if women work, you get divorce and same sex attraction?!? Wow!

BTW You could do a few chores round the house too, your wife may appreciate the help ;)

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#14810 Apr 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
Ans.
They are killing each other because they are not following Quran and sayings and actions ofd prophet and his companions.
I'd say that they are killing each other over ancient literature.

It's not something that's unique to Islam as it's a common trait that runs through all three of the desert religions.
MUQ wrote:
02. I am happy that you agrred that “men and women are different” from each other!!
When they are different, so what is illogical that they have “different” rights from each other?
Women are not treated “less favorably” in Islam, they are not loaded with “double the burdedn” as they do in west.
She has to look “pleasing” to her boss in office and have a “plesing smiles for all her co=workers” and then come home and look “pleasing to her husband”.
What's illogical is denying women the right to equality with men.

Secular societies strive for equality where people are treated the same irrespective of their gender, religion, skin colour, sexual orientation, etc.

Islam (and other religions) would deny this.
MUQ wrote:
03. In fact it is Islam that provides true civlisation. What we see in west is just false equality between sexes and the extreme of it.
Civilisation where people do not have the freedom to choose which religion they wish to follow?

Where people who criticise an imaginary deity are executed?

Where women who seek an education are shot?

I'm sorry but your idea of what being civilised means is.

Tell me. What does your *civilised* holy book say about the Jews?

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#14811 Apr 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
Still no comment from you on:-
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#14812 Apr 19, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
You may add some of the humor lacking on the forum.
Obviously you are a Republican state senator?
I am a hard core democrat and always have been. My father is a Republican, we are totally opposite in every way.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#14813 Apr 19, 2013
<quoted text>
If I were in your position, I would demand a refund.
He hasn't helped your insanity...
... of course, you could have been much-much worse, before...
... I know, I know... that's hard to imagine....
The care is free and I did used to be much worse, I was a basket case although I wasn't psychotic at the time.

Scottsburg, IN

#14814 Apr 19, 2013
Your copies and pastes spam from your scribd page answers nothing stop wasting bandwidth before you get banned and your IP blocked.

Have you already bought a child bride from your neighbor? Perhaps going to do some window shopping at the daycare?

I noticed some of your Muslim brothers were arrested in London for wanting to use remote controlled cars as bombs to attack and kill innocent people.... And you wonder why people look upon you as sub human swine.
MUQ wrote:
Ans.

01. There is no one who will awake the one who “pretends” to be sleeping. So I do not know what you will call as “convincing” arguments.

Scottsburg, IN

#14815 Apr 19, 2013
You got what you paid for as your psychosis is clear for all to see now.
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The care is free and I did used to be much worse, I was a basket case although I wasn't psychotic at the time.
Lincoln

United States

#14816 Apr 19, 2013
God Bless America
and watch over
the people of Boston.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 min thetruth 4,820
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 min thetruth 9,366
News Why I quit atheism 6 min thetruth 709
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 8 min thetruth 755
Good arguments against Christianity 11 min thetruth 214
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 16 min thetruth 10,052
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 256,562
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr It aint necessari... 18,571
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr AmericanPagan 21,175
A Universe from Nothing? 12 hr Into The Night 538
More from around the web