Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#14164 Mar 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude!
90% of atheists know the bible better than YOU.
Heck.... my atheist CAT knows the bible better than you!
LMAO!
My cat, Pywacket, is a 'Familiar'
LQTM

And they said NO WAY!...

http://umsonline.org/MetaphysicalDegreesCours...

"He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because
he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god."
~Aristotle

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#14165 Mar 22, 2013
Greater Scandinavia wrote:
I mean are you a Nationalits to the Qeen or the Eire?
C,mo you NIs enlighten me
Shall we start with composing comprehensible sentences or should we just start with spelling?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14166 Mar 22, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
LQTM
And they said NO WAY!...
http://umsonline.org/MetaphysicalDegreesCours...
"He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because
he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god."
~Aristotle
LOL!

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#14167 Mar 22, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe God is good.
You believe God is bad.
You are the maltheist.
You are a chip mouthed slag.
Which god do I believe is bad? Which god do I believe? Has anyone presented proof of a god, bad or otherwise.

Explain to me again, how I became the mal-theist (bad theist), in your little crack head scenario.

If I think the god is bad, how would that make me the bad theist? If you believe that Satan is bad, will that make you bad? Do you have to believe in Satan to believe he is bad?

Mal-theist! LOL! Hang on to that mirror, it is showing you to be, what you are claiming me to be, you dumb mal-theist. Ha, ha, ha!
Lincoln

United States

#14168 Mar 22, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you buy special cat food?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#14169 Mar 22, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> romans chapter 11 verse 1, I say then, hath god cast away his people? God forbid, for I also am an isrelite, of the seed of abraham, of the tribe of benjamin.
Give me a bit of time. I'll make up that I'm a direct descendent of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. That would be no problem as long as I can gather enough money to convince a few religious elders...

How long did it take for the early Christians to figure out that they needed to link Jesus to the prophets of old so that he could "fulfill the Law" (of messiah prophecy)?

Would you say 100 years is fair?

Or are you one who thinks politics hasn't changed in 2000 or 6000 or 60,000 years?

Nehwon

#14170 Mar 22, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> romans chapter 11 verse 1, I say then, hath god cast away his people? God forbid, for I also am an isrelite, of the seed of abraham, of the tribe of benjamin.
Wait. You counter my criticism of Paul by quoting Paul? Where Paul says, "I'm one of you."

I'll be quite interested in what you have to say about smoking tobacco. I'm sure you can come up with a nifty quote from the tobacco industry.

Nehwon

#14171 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> no, and that's what you people did to the israelites in america, just how I showed you in deuteronomy the 28th chapter.
Could you point out to me specifically where in the 28th chapter they refer to "america"?

Here's what it comes down to: If you quote a bible verse, I'm not going to take your word for it. I'm going to look it up and I'll take a look to see if you are using it in context.

You had better be true in your intention lest you fail to fulfill one of the BIG 10 COMMANDMENTS - specifically, the bearing of false witness against your neighbor.

Whether you like it or not, you neighbor is no longer the person who lives near you. In this day of communication, your neighbor is also anyone worldwide who reads your posts on this board.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#14172 Mar 23, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a bit of time. I'll make up that I'm a direct descendent of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. That would be no problem as long as I can gather enough money to convince a few religious elders...
How long did it take for the early Christians to figure out that they needed to link Jesus to the prophets of old so that he could "fulfill the Law" (of messiah prophecy)?
Would you say 100 years is fair?
Or are you one who thinks politics hasn't changed in 2000 or 6000 or 60,000 years?
The Bible makes a big thing about how Jesus was descended from the David.

The thing is, it's no big deal, because pretty much everyone in ancient Palestine was descended from David.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19331938

"The Bible says Jesus was a descendant of King David. But with 1,000 years between them, and since King David's son Solomon was said to have had about 1,000 wives and mistresses, couldn't many of Jesus's peers in Holy Land have claimed the same royal ancestor?

Theory tells us that not only would all of Jesus's contemporaries be descended from King David, but that this would probably be the case even if Solomon had been into monogamy."

So what may have impressed the simple, superstitious minds of 2000 years ago, is shown by science to be really nothing special at all.

Nehwon

#14173 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> matthew, that's satan tempting christ, what's your point?
So are you suggesting that since I'm not as important as Jesus, Satan isn't even going to bother tempting me?

But I've demonstrated that Satan can quote scripture.

You have quoted scripture.

How can I figure out that you are not a minion of Satan or Satan yourself?

I'll give you a break - tell me about God without quoting scripture from the Bible.

Nehwon

#14174 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> trying to figure it out? Lol says it all. Aren't your scientits questioning the big bang right now? Your silly . I don't do sunday worship.
I see. Since we don't know all the answers, we should fall back to the Bible even though its answers are silly.

You'd rather we not question where we are, find some answers, strive to find answers to the unanswered questions and the answers to questions that arise from what we've discovered?

Instead, you wish to be a slave to a book (technically, many books that were carefully selected to promote a religion).

And the odd part is that you have no desire to be free. A really crude analogy would be that the slaves of the Confederacy demanded the Emancipation Proclamation be rescinded.

So how do you convince a slave they are free when they don't want to be?

In case you aren't getting it - you are that slave.

Nehwon

#14175 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> 2nd timothy chapter 3 verse 16, all scripture is given by inspiration of god, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction of righteousnes.
Amos chapter 3 verse 7, surely god will do nothing, but revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
Get it right.
2 tim 3:16
Jesus Christ! Did you really refer to a passage that says effectively, this scripture is true because I say it's true?

Amos 3:7
Strange - my Bible shows Amos chapter 3 only has 5 verses. I looked around in the surrounding verses but all I see that resembles yours is Amos 3:2

"Even upon the servants and handmaids, in those days, I will pour out my spirit."

Rule 34 in play?

Nehwon

#14176 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> lol you don't know nothing either. I wil give you something, luke chapter 21 start at verse 20, what do you think the book of josepus is talking about? Prophecy documented, prophecy spoken by christ.
Luke 21:20
When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, know that its desolation is at hand.

In context, this is what was supposed to happen right before Jesus returned. And this was supposed to happen in Luke's lifetime.

Nehwon

#14177 Mar 23, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> I don't follow the bible?
You quote it to fulfill your own ends. Where have I heard that before?

Nehwon

#14178 Mar 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible makes a big thing about how Jesus was descended from the David.
The thing is, it's no big deal, because pretty much everyone in ancient Palestine was descended from David.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19331938
"The Bible says Jesus was a descendant of King David. But with 1,000 years between them, and since King David's son Solomon was said to have had about 1,000 wives and mistresses, couldn't many of Jesus's peers in Holy Land have claimed the same royal ancestor?
Theory tells us that not only would all of Jesus's contemporaries be descended from King David, but that this would probably be the case even if Solomon had been into monogamy."
So what may have impressed the simple, superstitious minds of 2000 years ago, is shown by science to be really nothing special at all.
It could very well that Mary (but not Joseph unless he was related to Mary) was a descendent of David.

But the prophecy of the messiah was that he was to be given the throne of David. Luke 1:32 He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,[33] and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever and his kingdom there will be no end.

The Divine Right of Kings didn't come out of nowhere. Jesus needed to be a direct and primary heir to the throne of David to be the Messiah.

The Bible takes a bit of trouble and insists that Jesus is the legitimate heir to the throne of David.

But I don't recall Jesus actually making that claim. Perhaps the theists can help me out here.
Lincoln

United States

#14179 Mar 23, 2013
An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just dont talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Mostly teen angst if you ask me...

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#14180 Mar 23, 2013
Khatru wrote:
Footnote:

The simple, superstitious minds of today are still impressed by this mumbo jumbo.

Nehwon

#14181 Mar 23, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.
Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just dont talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Mostly teen angst if you ask me...
And yea, the Archangel did come down from on high and spake with Christopher Hitchens.

Thus were the words imparted upon him by our most heavenly Mother, the Lady Goddess:

"Thou shalt go upon the nations and spread the word of atheism by using your wits and devoting nearly 40 percent of your GDP directed to the "defense" <The angel gave a wink, wink, nod, nod> budget. Ye shall cut taxes on the wealthy but raise them on the poor and destitute to maintain thine defense spending.'For Blessed be the Job Creators while the poor are moochers' as Jesus taught.

Once you have conquered all the nations and all the creatures with such heavenly shock and awe, you will be free to preach the Gospel of Jesus, if there's anyone left besides the veteran warriors, who shall see much atrocities in thy Lady's service.

Good Luck taming them when you discharge them without any support. I'm just ordering you to do so. This is an unfunded mandate the states can pick up by raising their taxes so you can say 'I did not raise taxes, however, the fees for everything will go up 500 percent and we'll be introducing new fees for things like, citizenship, voting, military 0-7 getaway junkets, putting contracts up for bid, no bid contracts, clean air, clean water, your life, that nice house that would be a shame if something happened to it. But that's not a tax!'"

Thus spaketh the emissary of the Most High Archangel Garcia, chronic user of cannibis.

Amen.

Let us pray.

O! FSM!
You are so noodly!
Your sauce is so fragrant!
Touch me with thy holy appendage,
before I devour you
and satisfy my hunger.

<choral singers>
With a nice red wine, but a beer would work, too!

O, FSM!
Deliver us from ninjas,
For we be pirates. ARrrrr!

R'Amen.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#14182 Mar 23, 2013
He is humiliating himself with verse 68 which mentions Israeli slaves being out on a boat and bondsmen.

He reads this and says wow that sounds like the slave trade in America! It must be talking about the exact same thing! Silly Christholes do this kind of projection all the time.

Hey the bible mentions people drinking water and gasp!! People today drink water! It must be prophecy!

Lol!
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>Could you point out to me specifically where in the 28th chapter they refer to "america"?

Here's what it comes down to: If you quote a bible verse, I'm not going to take your word for it. I'm going to look it up and I'll take a look to see if you are using it in context.

You had better be true in your intention lest you fail to fulfill one of the BIG 10 COMMANDMENTS - specifically, the bearing of false witness against your neighbor.

Whether you like it or not, you neighbor is no longer the person who lives near you. In this day of communication, your neighbor is also anyone worldwide who reads your posts on this board.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#14183 Mar 23, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you suggesting that since I'm not as important as Jesus, Satan isn't even going to bother tempting me?
But I've demonstrated that Satan can quote scripture.
You have quoted scripture.
How can I figure out that you are not a minion of Satan or Satan yourself?
I'll give you a break - tell me about God without quoting scripture from the Bible.
Just forget all thatreligions at all. In our world this only myths nothing else!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 39 min Brian_G 6,219
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 44 min thetruth 9,394
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 51 min ChristineM 243,391
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 hr ChristineM 19,788
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 15 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 23 hr thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) Sat knight of Jesus 521
More from around the web