Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,934

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Lincoln

United States

#14039 Mar 19, 2013
"Beer is Proof God Loves Us...."
Ben Franklin

Since: Mar 11

United States

#14040 Mar 19, 2013
Yes indeed! As much as they stole from Aladdin I am surprised Muhammad didn't fly around on a flying carpet!
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed, it is more like a myth.Their belief of Mo's magical power of splitting of moon tells the truth.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#14041 Mar 19, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> your jist tryong to say something but your not saying anything at all.
Nope

I'm saying that you're batshit crazy.

How many legs do insects have?

Nottingham, UK

#14042 Mar 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
They're both fiction but the Quran has the advantage of stealing from the charming tale of Aladdin.
<quoted text>
True

I don't think the Bible has anything to match that tale.

If Aladdin had been in the Bible, the forty thieves would have probably been torn limb from limb by a pack of she-bears sent by the god of the Bible.
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#14043 Mar 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but "taking crap without question" has to be started at a very, very young age, though.
Which is why all modern religions have rituals to get the kids started on the brainwashing as quickly as possible...
I would suggest that quite a bit is also due to parental influence, which is why I think mythology should be a subject in schools. Call this course an 'elective'.

"God bless you and keep you safe from anything as dangerous as knowledge".
~ALEXANDER WOOLLCOTT

"A fanatic is a man that does what he thinks the Lord would do
if he knew the facts of the case".
~FINLEY PETER DUNNE
Thinking

Mirfield, UK

#14044 Mar 19, 2013
That would lead to islamic carpet bombing.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes indeed! As much as they stole from Aladdin I am surprised Muhammad didn't fly around on a flying carpet!
<quoted text>

Nottingham, UK

#14045 Mar 19, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>the bible dosent speak of (three) wise men. Religion sort to co exist with the bible, paganism is a deciever.
Words like "wise" and "Bible" just don't go together.

Nottingham, UK

#14046 Mar 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
This is supposed to be a counter to science?
This is actually an exciting question that some people have a passion to answer. It's a puzzle to figure out. And the neat thing is, as with many scientific discoveries, it will lead to more puzzles.
But I guess having all the "answers to everything", aka, the Bible, is all you need.
Why do we die? God did it.
What are the stars? God did it.
Why did your dog run away? God did it.
Every Sunday you can get the answers to your question for a small fee - God did it.
And every Sunday, some "religious" leader is counting the donations to make a bank deposit first thing Monday morning.
Lol

The Biblical account of creation neglects to mention the Big Bang.

Not to worry though, because instead of the Big Bang we get a talking snake. We also get to learn how everything that's bad in our world is the fault of one disobedient woman.

Nottingham, UK

#14047 Mar 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it's not Colon?
It would be an appropriate name considering that what he spews from his mouth (or typing fingers) resembles what the organ does via the other orifice.
I think you're onto something here.

From here on in I'll call him Colon.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#14048 Mar 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
I'm saying that you're batshit crazy.
How many legs do insects have?
That would depend on the number of insects, wouldn't it?? XD

Nottingham, UK

#14049 Mar 19, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>That would depend on the number of insects, wouldn't it?? XD
Lol

I guess so.

Taking one insect it would also depend on the writers of the Bible being able to count past six.

Nottingham, UK

#14050 Mar 19, 2013
six?

Sorry, four

Lexington, KY

#14051 Mar 19, 2013
Hey maybe the Muhammad meets Allah scene in the cave would have been like the Aladdin meets genie?

Allah singing you ain't never had a god like me!

Lol!

That's some funny stuff right there!
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>True

If Aladdin had been in the Bible, the forty thieves would have probably been torn limb from limb by a pack of she-bears sent by the god of the Bible.

Lexington, KY

#14052 Mar 19, 2013
That's why they use prayer rugs, it's an effort to get them airborne through prayer.
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>That would lead to islamic carpet bombing.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14053 Mar 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
True
Yes, there's that.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14054 Mar 19, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest that quite a bit is also due to parental influence, which is why I think mythology should be a subject in schools. Call this course an 'elective'.
"God bless you and keep you safe from anything as dangerous as knowledge".
~ALEXANDER WOOLLCOTT
"A fanatic is a man that does what he thinks the Lord would do
if he knew the facts of the case".
~FINLEY PETER DUNNE
Good, good--

Faith is what people resort to, when they lack facts. Religion never seems to have any facts, therefore...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14055 Mar 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
The Biblical account of creation neglects to mention the Big Bang.
Not to worry though, because instead of the Big Bang we get a talking snake. We also get to learn how everything that's bad in our world is the fault of one disobedient woman.
Which sets the tone for the whole religion: women are always considered 2nd class, according to Genuine Christians™
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14056 Mar 19, 2013
The priestly version of Eastenders, Emmerdale or River City?....
http://www.leavingthepriesthood.com/womenwhol...

Well, we can't all be saints and as my Christian upbringing taught me: "these things are sent to try us".
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#14057 Mar 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, good--
Faith is what people resort to, when they lack facts. Religion never seems to have any facts, therefore...
I believe we have shown theists that Jesus didn't always teach love, by presenting Luke 14:26 in which Jesus says, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".

Naturally we've gotten the, "You're taking it out of context" excuse, but most of the time we get this..."Jesus isn't saying that you have to hate your parents and family, he's just saying that you have to love him more than you love them".

That is not what is being said in this verse. Having more love for 'A' than for 'B' does not mean that you have to HATE 'B'.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14058 Mar 19, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we have shown theists that Jesus didn't always teach love, by presenting Luke 14:26 in which Jesus says, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".
Naturally we've gotten the, "You're taking it out of context" excuse, but most of the time we get this..."Jesus isn't saying that you have to hate your parents and family, he's just saying that you have to love him more than you love them".
That is not what is being said in this verse. Having more love for 'A' than for 'B' does not mean that you have to HATE 'B'.
Exactly.

As mere human parents, we see many examples where these human parents have more than sufficient love for all of their kids.

So love is not "more" or "less" it just is--

Obviously, Jesus in this context really does mean for his followers to be hate-theists.

Something I've been saying for years, just based on their actions to others.

And also based on the obvious:

If a person is content with the idea of infinite torture of others? The only way to be content with such an abomination-thought, is for that person to hate anyone whom they think gets infinite-torture.

No other way around that one. Not really.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 2 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 2 hr Patrick 5,938
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr _Bad Company 724
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr Patrick 228,598
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr _Bad Company 1,023
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Jaimie 154
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 8 hr Thinking 8

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE