Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 12

Thane, India

#14031 Mar 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Lol! Oh Muq stop it! There were Jews and Christians all over the place at that time! The Torah and gospel myths were widely published and known throughout the region.
The Quran writer stole and rewrote what he liked. Rather clumsily might I note because of his several humorous mistakes throughout the Quran.
<quoted text>
You are right.There were jews too in Makkah.MUQ is finding every possible way to defend the inaccuracies of his religion.He couldn't even answer my simple straight questions.

Thane, India

#14032 Mar 19, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is your proof that Prophet Mohammad learned from the "Israelite"?
There were no Israelite in Makkah when he declared his mission and more than two third of Quran was revealed in Makkah period.
Only in the last 10 years of his mission he migrated to Madina, where there were Isralites present, but their relations were not cordial and in the fifth year all Jews were removed from Madina.
So how come Prophet Mohammad learnt from them?
You haven't answered my questions.As per your demand,I am putting forth all of my questions one by one.
Explain me the contradiction in your religion that God is indepedent as well as needs reverence from us.
We have restored the discussion after some days.Yet,I think you sufficiently remember where we were.I have proved that your God has big ego.I have proved that your God needs our reverence and service(of course,you too did state that God made jinns and human for his service).
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#14033 Mar 19, 2013
Top ten reasons why beer is better than Jesus (or Mo')...

a) No one will kill you for not drinking beer.
b) Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
c) They don't force beer on minors who cannot think for themselves.
d) Beer has never caused a major war.
e) When you have a beer you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
f) Nobody has ever been burned at the stake, hanged or tortured over a beer.
g) You don't have to wait 2000 years for a second beer.
h) There are laws saying beer labels cannot lie to you.
I) You can prove you have a beer.
j) If you are devoted to beer then there are groups who can help you stop.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#14034 Mar 19, 2013
Islam used Aladdin an other Arabic fairy tales as part if it's foundation! Naturally they stole from Jews and Christians as well but Aladdin?! Are they for real?!

That's like making a religion and using Spider-Man to help form the foundation!
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>You are right.There were jews too in Makkah.MUQ is finding every possible way to defend the inaccuracies of his religion.He couldn't even answer my simple straight questions.

Thane, India

#14035 Mar 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Islam used Aladdin an other Arabic fairy tales as part if it's foundation! Naturally they stole from Jews and Christians as well but Aladdin?! Are they for real?!
That's like making a religion and using Spider-Man to help form the foundation!
<quoted text>
Indeed, it is more like a myth.Their belief of Mo's magical power of splitting of moon tells the truth.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14036 Mar 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but you would use that Ring with a desire to do good.
Others would use it to defend their people against all threats, real or imagined.
And yet others would use it to build an army to crush Rohan.
True. Scientific discoveries are always (at a minimum) double-edged like that.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14037 Mar 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
What a sad world it is when people can seriously say that humans need to fear eternal damnation in order to do good.
It is the one thing which at the same time stirs both anger and pity in most atheists; anger because it is a bigoted, prejudicial statement which serves no purpose except to promote intolerance, and pity because it highlights the theist's ignorance and willingness to accept such crap without question.
Yeah, but "taking crap without question" has to be started at a very, very young age, though.

Which is why all modern religions have rituals to get the kids started on the brainwashing as quickly as possible...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#14038 Mar 19, 2013
EdSed wrote:
Top ten reasons why beer is better than Jesus (or Mo')...
a) No one will kill you for not drinking beer.
b) Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
c) They don't force beer on minors who cannot think for themselves.
d) Beer has never caused a major war.
e) When you have a beer you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
f) Nobody has ever been burned at the stake, hanged or tortured over a beer.
g) You don't have to wait 2000 years for a second beer.
h) There are laws saying beer labels cannot lie to you.
I) You can prove you have a beer.
j) If you are devoted to beer then there are groups who can help you stop.
k) without beer, humans never would have been forced to invent agriculture.(why? In order to have enough grain for more beer!)
Lincoln

United States

#14039 Mar 19, 2013
"Beer is Proof God Loves Us...."
Ben Franklin

Since: Mar 11

United States

#14040 Mar 19, 2013
Yes indeed! As much as they stole from Aladdin I am surprised Muhammad didn't fly around on a flying carpet!
fadu singh wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed, it is more like a myth.Their belief of Mo's magical power of splitting of moon tells the truth.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#14041 Mar 19, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> your jist tryong to say something but your not saying anything at all.
Nope

I'm saying that you're batshit crazy.

How many legs do insects have?

Watford, UK

#14042 Mar 19, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
They're both fiction but the Quran has the advantage of stealing from the charming tale of Aladdin.
<quoted text>
True

I don't think the Bible has anything to match that tale.

If Aladdin had been in the Bible, the forty thieves would have probably been torn limb from limb by a pack of she-bears sent by the god of the Bible.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#14043 Mar 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but "taking crap without question" has to be started at a very, very young age, though.
Which is why all modern religions have rituals to get the kids started on the brainwashing as quickly as possible...
I would suggest that quite a bit is also due to parental influence, which is why I think mythology should be a subject in schools. Call this course an 'elective'.

"God bless you and keep you safe from anything as dangerous as knowledge".
~ALEXANDER WOOLLCOTT

"A fanatic is a man that does what he thinks the Lord would do
if he knew the facts of the case".
~FINLEY PETER DUNNE
Thinking

Barnsley, UK

#14044 Mar 19, 2013
That would lead to islamic carpet bombing.
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes indeed! As much as they stole from Aladdin I am surprised Muhammad didn't fly around on a flying carpet!
<quoted text>

Watford, UK

#14045 Mar 19, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>the bible dosent speak of (three) wise men. Religion sort to co exist with the bible, paganism is a deciever.
Words like "wise" and "Bible" just don't go together.

Watford, UK

#14046 Mar 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
This is supposed to be a counter to science?
This is actually an exciting question that some people have a passion to answer. It's a puzzle to figure out. And the neat thing is, as with many scientific discoveries, it will lead to more puzzles.
But I guess having all the "answers to everything", aka, the Bible, is all you need.
Why do we die? God did it.
What are the stars? God did it.
Why did your dog run away? God did it.
Every Sunday you can get the answers to your question for a small fee - God did it.
And every Sunday, some "religious" leader is counting the donations to make a bank deposit first thing Monday morning.
Lol

The Biblical account of creation neglects to mention the Big Bang.

Not to worry though, because instead of the Big Bang we get a talking snake. We also get to learn how everything that's bad in our world is the fault of one disobedient woman.

Watford, UK

#14047 Mar 19, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it's not Colon?
It would be an appropriate name considering that what he spews from his mouth (or typing fingers) resembles what the organ does via the other orifice.
I think you're onto something here.

From here on in I'll call him Colon.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#14048 Mar 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
I'm saying that you're batshit crazy.
How many legs do insects have?
That would depend on the number of insects, wouldn't it?? XD

Watford, UK

#14049 Mar 19, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>That would depend on the number of insects, wouldn't it?? XD
Lol

I guess so.

Taking one insect it would also depend on the writers of the Bible being able to count past six.

Watford, UK

#14050 Mar 19, 2013
six?

Sorry, four

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 min ChristineM 21,878
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min scientia potentia... 23,517
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min Into The Night 48,676
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 16 min Into The Night 5,705
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 2 hr Igor Trip 69
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 4 hr Amused 3
What are the best arguments against religion? 8 hr Igor Trip 2
More from around the web