Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Since: Mar 13

Europe

#13968 Mar 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Not your understanding - it's batshit crazy.
your jist tryong to say something but your not saying anything at all.

Europe

#13969 Mar 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously are not speaking of the bible, then--
-- it's been proven that NONE of the OT stories happened.
For want of historical support and archeological evidence, of course.
For example: the city of Nazareth. It did not exist until 100's of years after the first century ACE.
Thus? Your "jesus of nazareth" is an impossibility-- without a time machine, that is...
LOL!
idiot, christ is documented in rome as a rebel. thats all im giving you because your too to ignorant.

Europe

#13971 Mar 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Start here: http://www.evilbible.com/
It has many categorized lists of bible fallacies, errors, mistakes, outright lies too.
You'll love it!
no! show me so i can correct you, as i have been doin. if i can save one soul reading these comments, may the most high be glorified, through chist.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#13972 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>stop qoueting and tell me what your trying to say?
I did not stutter did I?
Your book is nonsense.

Before selecting another useless scripture, I would advise you to visit this site.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

The tender and delicate woman among you, which would not adventure to set the sole of her foot upon the ground for delicateness and tenderness, her eye shall be evil toward the husband of her bosom, and toward her son, and toward her daughter, and toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them.--Deuteronomy 28:56-57

Did you know...MITHRAS = CHRISTIANITY?

This religion, cloaked in mystery and secrecy, has captivated the imaginations of scholars for generations. Many facts discovered sheds vital light on the cultural dynamics that led to the rise of Christianity.

The National Geographic Society’s book “Great Religions of the World,” page 309 writes; “By Jesus’ time, East and West had mingled here for three centuries. Down columns of boulevards walked Roman soldiers loyal to the Persian god Mithras.” Mithras was a Persian deity. He was also the most widely venerated god in the Roman Empire at the time of Jesus. The Catholic Encyclopedia as well as the early Church Fathers found this religion of Mithras very disturbing, as there are so many similarities between the two religions, as follows:

1) Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.

2) Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.

3) According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.

4) After the death of Mithra, his body was laid to rest in a rock tomb.

5) Mithra had a celibate priesthood.

6) Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).

http://jdstone.org/cr/files/mithraschristiani...

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#13973 Mar 18, 2013
They're both fiction but the Quran has the advantage of stealing from the charming tale of Aladdin.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is as historical as the Quran.

Which is not very historical at all.

Scottsburg, IN

#13974 Mar 18, 2013
Yes as you say It was a future prophecy, that had to come to fruition before the children at Jesus' feet died as he clearly states that criteria.

It didn't.

I have provided passages and proper context even by your own admission.

Your questions have been thus properly answered by your own admission.
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>my names not collin, that's a future prophecy, christ is speaking of the generation that will be living in those last days, in the days of his return. He's speaking to a future generation, hence the word prophecy. Fool.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#13975 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>idiot, christ is documented in rome as a rebel. thats all im giving you because your too to ignorant.
Prove this ludicrous statement!

You will astound the world with evidence that Roman history acknowledges a person known as Jesus.

I will keep it simple, for a very simple mind

?? What was the Roman scholar or historian that mentions Jesus, THAT LIVED DURING HIS TIME?

Just to keep you honest - You can forget the following:

Josephus - Born 37 CE
Tacitus - Born 56 CE
Pliny the Younger - Born 61 CE
Suetonious - Born about 69 CE
Phlegon - Born about 80 CE
Lucian - Born 125 CE
Babylonian Talmud - 200CE
Lucian - Born 125 CE

Born AFTER the event is merely hearsay.

Europe

#13976 Mar 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope. Never heard of him, sorry.
There goes 100% of your ... ahem... "argument"-- right out the window...
do some research then.

Europe

#13977 Mar 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not stutter did I?
Your book is nonsense.
Before selecting another useless scripture, I would advise you to visit this site.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
The tender and delicate woman among you, which would not adventure to set the sole of her foot upon the ground for delicateness and tenderness, her eye shall be evil toward the husband of her bosom, and toward her son, and toward her daughter, and toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them.--Deuteronomy 28:56-57
Did you know...MITHRAS = CHRISTIANITY?
This religion, cloaked in mystery and secrecy, has captivated the imaginations of scholars for generations. Many facts discovered sheds vital light on the cultural dynamics that led to the rise of Christianity.
The National Geographic Society’s book “Great Religions of the World,” page 309 writes; “By Jesus’ time, East and West had mingled here for three centuries. Down columns of boulevards walked Roman soldiers loyal to the Persian god Mithras.” Mithras was a Persian deity. He was also the most widely venerated god in the Roman Empire at the time of Jesus. The Catholic Encyclopedia as well as the early Church Fathers found this religion of Mithras very disturbing, as there are so many similarities between the two religions, as follows:
1) Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.
2) Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.
3) According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.
4) After the death of Mithra, his body was laid to rest in a rock tomb.
5) Mithra had a celibate priesthood.
6) Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).
http://jdstone.org/cr/files/mithraschristiani...
the bible dosent speak of (three) wise men. Religion sort to co exist with the bible, paganism is a deciever.

Europe

#13978 Mar 18, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Yes as you say It was a future prophecy, that had to come to fruition before the children at Jesus' feet died as he clearly states that criteria.
It didn't.
I have provided passages and proper context even by your own admission.
Your questions have been thus properly answered by your own admission.
<quoted text>
i explained the scripture to you, he is speaking to the people of the last days. do you think christ would not of known people die? its a future prophecy and a scripture for the generation of the the last days. i feel me and you could talk on a level, i dont dismiss everything in science. just the things that you know, and have to question... lets talk on a level together. and no, i dont need to question my loyalty to the most high and christ. just putting that out there.
CunningLinguist

Winter Garden, FL

#13979 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>the bible dosent speak of (three) wise men. Religion sort to co exist with the bible, paganism is a deciever.
And... you have permitted yourself to be deceived without any questions. Blind Faith

W.C. FIELDS LAY ON his deathbed, reading the Bible.
An old friend came in and said, "Bill! You don't believe in God. Why are you reading the Bible?" Fields responded in his familiar cadence, "Looking for loopholes."

Anyone interested in social change—regardless of religious beliefs or lack of them—should read the Bible for no other reason than it is the book quoted most often to relieve us of our personal freedoms.

I must admit that I initially turned to the Bible "looking for loopholes." I knew I could pull quotations out of context to support my point of view. I thought of myself in an adversarial relationship: the religious right has presented its out-of-context quotations, and has done a good job popularizing them. I could do the same, and make my out-of-context quotations support my beliefs. Somewhere between the extremes, perhaps people would discover something approaching the truth.

I made an astonishing discovery: There was no need to pull quotations out of context!

There was no need for me to ignore certain passages and highlight others. The "scriptural basis" for the religious right's claim to righteousness simply did not exist. In order to support my opinion I didn't have to—with a certain degree of guilt—leave out "incriminating" passages: the passages were not there.

Certain quotations were there, of course, but considering the context they were in, no sane human being would take them seriously. All of the admonitions against "sexual immorality" fall into this category.

Dazzle me...

Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

I shall wait... tic toc tic toc

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#13980 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>i explained the scripture to you, he is speaking to the people of the last days. do you think christ would not of known people die? its a future prophecy and a scripture for the generation of the the last days. i feel me and you could talk on a level, i dont dismiss everything in science. just the things that you know, and have to question... lets talk on a level together. and no, i dont need to question my loyalty to the most high and christ. just putting that out there.
You mean the "last days" that was suppose to have started about 2000 years ago. Funny, 2,000 years after that "last days" we're all still here.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13981 Mar 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely.
Homer's Iliad probably contains more history than those books.
Good point.

Scottsburg, IN

#13982 Mar 18, 2013
That is the apologetic lie but it doesn't work. Jesus doesn't say thousands of years in the future these things will come to pass. He clearly says that some of the children at his feet would not taste death before the end came.

What you are doing is presupposing everything in the bible must be true and so when Jesus is woefully wrong it must mean something else. You are in fact rewriting the bible! Jesus couldn't properly speak for himself? He needs a halfwit liar like you who refuses to even become a Christian say what he meant?

If so he was nothing special and not worthy of any special consideration.
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>i explained the scripture to you, he is speaking to the people of the last days. do you think christ would not of known people die? its a future prophecy and a scripture for the generation of the the last days. i feel me and you could talk on a level, i dont dismiss everything in science. just the things that you know, and have to question... lets talk on a level together. and no, i dont need to question my loyalty to the most high and christ. just putting that out there.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13983 Mar 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
A friend gave me large Word .doc with 100's of great Quotes.
I use them often, a few more 4U:
And staying in the same vein as our latest BuyBull Nut...
Ryan won't like this one!
“The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.”~Ayn Rand
"When engaged in discussion with an eminent theologian. "What inference," asked the theologian, "might one draw about the nature of God from a study of his works?" biochemist John Haldane replied: "An inordinate fondness for beetles." ~John Burdon Sanderson Haldane
“The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love heterosexuals. It’s just that they need more supervision.”~ Lynn Lavner
"Why would God give every man two heads, but only enough blood supply to use one at a time?" ~ Robin Williams on Intelligent Design
"Everyone knows the best bands are affiliated with Satan." ~Bart Simpson
Nice.

I'm especially fond of the beetle one.:)

If we were to use the same meme? But instead, go by sheer mass of biotic material?

The winner has to go to bacteria-- which comprise the vast majority of biomass on the planet, far out-stripping all the rest.

Perhaps that IS the "ultimate purpose" to life on Earth: in support of huge tracts of .... bacteria.

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13984 Mar 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
I read this terrific book years ago.
It is ripe with great quotes... enjoy it!
http://www.buildfreedom.com/content/books/ain...
"Ye shall know the truth,and the truth shall make you mad."
~ALDOUS HUXLEY
PS: I agree with the authors opinions
Interesting preamble.:)

I do agree with the basic premise: what an adult wishes to do with his or her own body ought not to be the business of anyone but the person in question.

No other opinion ought to apply.

But then again, I have this silly notion that adult people are capable of understanding consequences of their decisions.

Clearly, that is a silly idea: proof, the evil that is the world's religions. A classic case of failing to understand real-world consequences if ever there was. Real-world, in this case, means consequences that are reality based, not fantasy-wish based (faith).

Another example of a failure to recognize real-world consequences, is anyone who is NOT of the 1%, who votes for Republicans.

Seriously, that party doesn't give a damn about religious causes-- in all the times they've had full control, they also have done NOTHING to further the favorite hot-buttons of religion: more and more gays are being granted civil liberties, abortion is still legal, and women still have the right to vote.

Amusing, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13985 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>stop qoueting and tell me what your trying to say?
Why?

You don't understand the quotes, and what they represent?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13986 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>muhammed learnt from the israelites, the ishmalites are in the bible, why do you think that they have it inbeded in them to worship just as the so called negro does? because we are spiritual people.
Silly.

Moohumud (spelling intentionally disrespectful) was no more a real, historical character than either your moses or your equally fictional jesus.

No actual historical support for any of these characters.

But it's hardly a surprise, that islam copied a lot of bibley stuff...

... is it?

Why re-write fiction (quoran) if there is already a nice body of fiction to steal from (bible)?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13987 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>idiot, christ is documented in rome as a rebel. thats all im giving you because your too to ignorant.
Nope.

Not even ONE document supports your statement, here.

Not one.

Sorry bub-- you lose this round.

Again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13988 Mar 18, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>no! show me so i can correct you, as i have been doin. if i can save one soul reading these comments, may the most high be glorified, through chist.
Who is this ... "chist" character?

Is he a cousin of your jewsus character?

Perhaps he's jesus' stupider and more idiotic younger brother?

LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Dogen 61,596
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 3 hr Dogen 2,721
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web