Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#13887 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, it proves that the two are related. Also, computer annotation is e=MC^2
Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.

A scientific theory in one branch of science must hold true in all of the other branches of science.

BRIAN GREENE: It's a little known secret but for more than half a century a dark cloud has been looming over modern science. Here's the problem: our understanding of the universe is based on two separate theories. One is Einstein's general theory of relativity—that's a way of understanding the biggest things in the universe, things like stars and galaxies. But the littlest things in the universe, atoms and subatomic particles, play by an entirely different set of rules called, "quantum Mechanics"

These two sets of rules are each incredibly accurate in their own domain but whenever we try to combine them, to solve some of the deepest mysteries in the universe, disaster strikes.

Take the beginning of the universe, the "big bang." At that instant a tiny nugget erupted violently. Over the next 14 billion years the universe expanded and cooled into the stars, galaxies and planets we see today. But if we run the cosmic film in reverse, everything that's now rushing apart comes back together, so the universe gets smaller, hotter and denser as we head back to the beginning of time.

As we reach the big bang, when the universe was both enormously heavy and incredibly tiny, our projector jams. Our two laws of physics, when combined, break down.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#13888 Mar 17, 2013
You know fatboy the funny thing is, when something actually exists, people can show observable evidence for it an not rely on two penny word parlor trick word games.

Just something for you to consider along with green leafy vegetables.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You supplied it.
If you know what you claim to know, you have to be omniscient, as physical knowledge cannot provide it.
Since mortals are not omniscient, you have to be a god.
Since you are a god, gods exist.
Or else you're just lying...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#13889 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it proves that the two are related. Also, computer annotation is e=MC^2
Accepted in the sense you describe.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13890 Mar 17, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Nightserf's comments are of most value regarding stats, but I would suggest that most polls ask leading questions, pre-supposing one has a religion or supestitious belief, e.g. "Responses in the survey were to the question, "What is your religious preference?"
The often quoted UK national census asks 'what is your religion'
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...
Even I ticked Christian in 2001 and I assure you I've had no religion in my life in decades. Nor have most of my friends and family.(I trust we all lead reasonably good lives" :-)
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...
Wasn't there an option for 'atheist' or rather 'none'? or did that only come in on the 2011.
Everywhere, it seems to be, presupposes a religion. An form-filling tends to ask, name/address, occupation, next of kin and religion. It's assumed you have all of these to be an actual worthwhile participant in society. If one of those is missing it's like the attitude is you're less of a person somehow.

Location hidden

#13891 Mar 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I've worked for the Census Bureau a few times, no religious affiliation questions are allowed.
There are different studies and polls showing the decline of religion in this country. I think the title of this thread shows the posit of some polls that religious folk will be in the minority percentage come 2038.
My mother declared to the day she died that, "I didn't raise any atheists." She believed I was going through a phase....I suppose. Yes, young people are one of the least religious demographics. This doesn't mean that rejection of faith is only temporary for all. Statistics are already proving this.
Really? I'm sure there was one on the last census; perhaps it was optional.
I have my doubts they will be in the minority come 2038. Each generation brings new 'Christians' and those converting to another religion (eg.Muslim), perhaps not statistically significant but from generally hearing about people, is becoming commonplace.
Young people often rebel against their parents religion and return to it in old age. Perhaps it's easier to swallow the ideas of faith when facing death.

Location hidden

#13892 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
In the United Kingdom Jedi was a major religion.
Perhaps it's as good as anything. My late partner used to believe that whatever you wholly believed would have truth to it; a type of neo-buddhism with reality being subjective and actually caused by belief.

Since: Mar 13

UK

#13893 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is full of fake, lies and errors!
that's aload of rubbish, and there's over 600 laws in the bible not 10, and not every nation has repentence only israel. The nation what christ came from, you don't know the bible.

UK

#13894 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the slightest dint: The bible is full of fakes, lies and of course errors too!
show me the errors.

UK

#13895 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget religious garbage and start reading scientific books!
this is documented history, its common knowledge. You read a.book.

UK

#13896 Mar 17, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I do know the bible, it is why I am atheist. And it was religion that taught me that the bible was all real.
Reality taught me that it is all fairy tales. Being a realist comes with a price, it is nearly impossible to delude myself
ooooh you thought I was some dumb unlearned chrstian right, no I'm not. You have nothing to say.

UK

#13897 Mar 17, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>"Don't know nothing" is a DOUBLE NEGATIVE, which means the phrase (NOT a sentence) translates to knowing SOMETHING. Get an education. It's nearer the truth YOU don't know ANYTHING.
you still don't know nothing.

Scottsburg, IN

#13898 Mar 17, 2013
You have been shown before Colin, dozens of times and as usual you always ignore the facts when presented.

But then again you have such a lack of knowledge of the bible I doubt you could pass a children's bible test.
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> show me the errors.

UK

#13899 Mar 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I cannot hate that which is not real-- you may as well try to accuse me of hating Harry Potter.
Silly person.
I do despise what the IDEA of god does to people such as yourself-- it clearly damages people's minds.
Yours especially.
Pity, you.
what as harry potter got to do with the bible? And without the most high what you got? You heard of alister crowley right? Cause you have you know everything, he was chief satanist his famous phrase was "do what thou wilt will be the whole of the law". That's what they promote in these days, "you can marry a dog you have the right to" "we think two men should be able to get married" I could go on, don't want ,but that's what its all about get rid of the true god and bring satans laws in. That's what's damaging peoples minds.

Scottsburg, IN

#13900 Mar 17, 2013
Which would mean they know a lot.
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you still don't know nothing.

UK

#13901 Mar 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You have been shown before Colin, dozens of times and as usual you always ignore the facts when presented.
But then again you have such a lack of knowledge of the bible I doubt you could pass a children's bible test.
<quoted text>
do you people just lie all.the time? Show me the errors in the bible.

UK

#13902 Mar 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
If I quote "Alice In Wonderland" does that mean I believe a girl named Alice once existed and that Wonderland is a real place that I'd like to visit one day?
If I can quote said story, how can you 'done prove' different? What is it you think you are proving/disproving. Uhhh, black and white print is really....kind of black and white.
what as alice in wonderland got to do with the bible? Your pethetic, you haven't saidan,thing whatsoever. Always one idiot.

UK

#13903 Mar 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Which would mean they know a lot.
<quoted text>
don't be a child, you sound pethetic.

UK

#13904 Mar 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes-- you are quite weird.
You believe in magic.
LOL!
I belive in magic?? What's science?

UK

#13905 Mar 17, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5219752.stm
He said it was true that the extra pigment in darker skin did afford some added protection against the sun's harmful UV rays and that darker skin is, therefore, less susceptible to sunburn.
But he said this should not lull people with darker skin into a false sense of security.
Dark skin has increased epidermal melanin which provides a natural skin protection factor (SPF)- a measure of how long skin covered with sunscreen takes to burn compared with uncovered skin.
Very dark, black skin has a natural SPF of about 13 and filters twice as much UV radiation as white skin, for example.
Sun protection
However, health experts advise people to use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15.
Unquote.
I'm waiting for a skin cancer epedemic in africa in india or south america? But I can show you white people in austrailia and south africa and even here in tbe uk ,we dont even get that much sun but they keel over, dying from skin cancer, don't come with or I'm trying to sound intelligent crap.

UK

#13906 Mar 17, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You complete flaming moron.
Pay attention because I would hate for your stupidity to cause pain to someone you know.
Every person of every race can get a sunburn. Every person of every race can get skin cancer and other cancers that can be caused by overexposure to the sun.
Seriously, crack open a book other than the bible sometime.
I'm waiting for that day???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min Brian_G 48,443
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 3 hr JustASkeptic 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 18 hr Cuddles7668 21,864
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 18 hr ChristineM 23,486
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 18 hr Eagle 12 258,039
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 19 hr Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
More from around the web