Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 22,209

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#13875 Mar 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You supplied it.
If you know what you claim to know, you have to be omniscient, as physical knowledge cannot provide it.
Since mortals are not omniscient, you have to be a god.
Since you are a god, gods exist.
Or else you're just lying...
Check out your dancing, that's some good moves, for a third grade student.

You danced around the topic, then twisted and contorted the meanings of the words. Yep, just like a break dancer.
Henry

Germany

#13877 Mar 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I cannot hate that which is not real-- you may as well try to accuse me of hating Harry Potter.
Silly person.
I do despise what the IDEA of god does to people such as yourself-- it clearly damages people's minds.
Yours especially.
Pity, you.
The more intellectuel you are, the less influentiell you are for a religion.
Henry

Germany

#13878 Mar 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I believe it needs challenging and thank you for it. Anyone who would make a statement so obviously rediculous would put one in a quandry as how to answer.
I have Italian heritage, I read it as a joke at first, then looked at the poster's name.....The man(?) himself is ignorant and rude. I don't think responding nicely or not to him will make any difference. If you disagree, he'll act like a jerk anyway.
Just depends on your personal preference and how much patience you've got. I prefer to be nice but I've not got an abundance of patience......sooooo ;0)
The new pope is a new devil no more!
Henry

Germany

#13879 Mar 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Olde Tennessee Ernie...
Fill in blank
_____is more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
Belief in God declines in more developed countries and is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%).
In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%. In United Kingdom "No Religion" has overtaken "Christians" in a 2007 poll.
Interestingly enough in Mexico separation of church and state is guaranteed by Article 130 of the Mexican Constitution, which also designates religious leaders as ineligible for public office, while the majority of the population identifies as Roman Catholic (89%); if only the USA can learn from this!
The less uneducated people are the more they are for the catches of religious myths!
Henry

Germany

#13880 Mar 17, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I do know the bible, it is why I am atheist. And it was religion that taught me that the bible was all real.
Reality taught me that it is all fairy tales. Being a realist comes with a price, it is nearly impossible to delude myself
Well, come to science if you have not come to it.
Henry

Germany

#13881 Mar 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
keep attacking people while atheism's logic remains unharmed.
Atheists logic is always victorious!
Henry

Germany

#13882 Mar 17, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you still have nothing to say, I'm.still waitng for you to show.me something out the bible.what I shown which is wrong? You don't know nothing simple
Not the slightest dint: The bible is full of fakes, lies and of course errors too!
Henry

Germany

#13883 Mar 17, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I do know the bible, it is why I am atheist. And it was religion that taught me that the bible was all real.
Reality taught me that it is all fairy tales. Being a realist comes with a price, it is nearly impossible to delude myself
Stay with science and you will have a satisfaction for your life!
Henry

Germany

#13884 Mar 17, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
if you invent god, your word is your responsibility alone, not of atheists.
In the history of mankind there were thousands of gods, but they were all myths no realities.
Henry

Germany

#13885 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Run out of ideas
other than "name calling" :-)
Well, try it with science!

Location hidden

#13886 Mar 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You supplied it.

If you know what you claim to know, you have to be omniscient, as physical knowledge cannot provide it.

:)

Could you just imagine her being a god?

Location hidden

#13887 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, it proves that the two are related. Also, computer annotation is e=MC^2
Wikipedia:
If anyone finds a case where all or part of a scientific theory is false, then that theory is either changed or thrown out.

A scientific theory in one branch of science must hold true in all of the other branches of science.

BRIAN GREENE: It's a little known secret but for more than half a century a dark cloud has been looming over modern science. Here's the problem: our understanding of the universe is based on two separate theories. One is Einstein's general theory of relativity—that's a way of understanding the biggest things in the universe, things like stars and galaxies. But the littlest things in the universe, atoms and subatomic particles, play by an entirely different set of rules called, "quantum Mechanics"

These two sets of rules are each incredibly accurate in their own domain but whenever we try to combine them, to solve some of the deepest mysteries in the universe, disaster strikes.

Take the beginning of the universe, the "big bang." At that instant a tiny nugget erupted violently. Over the next 14 billion years the universe expanded and cooled into the stars, galaxies and planets we see today. But if we run the cosmic film in reverse, everything that's now rushing apart comes back together, so the universe gets smaller, hotter and denser as we head back to the beginning of time.

As we reach the big bang, when the universe was both enormously heavy and incredibly tiny, our projector jams. Our two laws of physics, when combined, break down.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#13888 Mar 17, 2013
You know fatboy the funny thing is, when something actually exists, people can show observable evidence for it an not rely on two penny word parlor trick word games.

Just something for you to consider along with green leafy vegetables.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You supplied it.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#13889 Mar 17, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, it proves that the two are related. Also, computer annotation is e=MC^2
Accepted in the sense you describe.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13890 Mar 17, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Nightserf's comments are of most value regarding stats, but I would suggest that most polls ask leading questions, pre-supposing one has a religion or supestitious belief, e.g. "Responses in the survey were to the question, "What is your religious preference?"
The often quoted UK national census asks 'what is your religion'
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...
Even I ticked Christian in 2001 and I assure you I've had no religion in my life in decades. Nor have most of my friends and family.(I trust we all lead reasonably good lives" :-)
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...
Wasn't there an option for 'atheist' or rather 'none'? or did that only come in on the 2011.
Everywhere, it seems to be, presupposes a religion. An form-filling tends to ask, name/address, occupation, next of kin and religion. It's assumed you have all of these to be an actual worthwhile participant in society. If one of those is missing it's like the attitude is you're less of a person somehow.

Location hidden

#13891 Mar 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I've worked for the Census Bureau a few times, no religious affiliation questions are allowed.
There are different studies and polls showing the decline of religion in this country. I think the title of this thread shows the posit of some polls that religious folk will be in the minority percentage come 2038.
My mother declared to the day she died that, "I didn't raise any atheists." She believed I was going through a phase....I suppose. Yes, young people are one of the least religious demographics. This doesn't mean that rejection of faith is only temporary for all. Statistics are already proving this.
Really? I'm sure there was one on the last census; perhaps it was optional.
I have my doubts they will be in the minority come 2038. Each generation brings new 'Christians' and those converting to another religion (eg.Muslim), perhaps not statistically significant but from generally hearing about people, is becoming commonplace.
Young people often rebel against their parents religion and return to it in old age. Perhaps it's easier to swallow the ideas of faith when facing death.

Location hidden

#13892 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
In the United Kingdom Jedi was a major religion.
Perhaps it's as good as anything. My late partner used to believe that whatever you wholly believed would have truth to it; a type of neo-buddhism with reality being subjective and actually caused by belief.

Since: Mar 13

UK

#13893 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is full of fake, lies and errors!
that's aload of rubbish, and there's over 600 laws in the bible not 10, and not every nation has repentence only israel. The nation what christ came from, you don't know the bible.

UK

#13894 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the slightest dint: The bible is full of fakes, lies and of course errors too!
show me the errors.

UK

#13895 Mar 17, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget religious garbage and start reading scientific books!
this is documented history, its common knowledge. You read a.book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 3 min Carchar king 49
Why I have rejected ATHEISM because of the JEWS 3 min Thinking 3
Our world came from nothing? 6 min Carchar king 458
Stump a theist with 2 questions 22 min NightSerf 30
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Thinking 227,475
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 13 hr Patrick 925
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 18 hr True Christian wi... 4,086
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE