Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 23583 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13834 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you really can say nothing you still.haven't answered the question I asked you 4 days ago. You don't know the bible one bit, have you read back on the comments?
I am not in the least interested in the bible. Why should I waste my costly time on such childish scriptures?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13835 Mar 16, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are most welcome. Stunning news is it not?
“Science improves with time. Religion improves by dying out.”~Quandong Loonata
“Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.”~ Chapman Cohen
Without God, life is everything.
“God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”~ Voltaire
“Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.”~ Gypsy Rose Lee
The most foolish thing is to pray on a rocking chair. To read in scientific books that would be a very good occupation.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13836 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read all three or more versions?
Roman Catholic
King James
New Revised Standard
Quite more sucessful is to start read scientific books. Religions are just a waste of costly time of life!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13837 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> ok, I'm not from america I'm from uk, I don't follow religion its pagan, that's about the 10th time I've said that. Moab- japanese. Ishmael-arabs,indians. Japheth-persains,chinese. Ham-africans. Esau-caucasians. Israelites-negros, south americans, west indians, aboriginies,red indians. I don't have a preacher, you have to try and undermind me because you don't know what the bible is. You think its full of fairytales, that's what religion has taught you. And your right you don't go to heaven when you die, dosent say that in the bible, that's what religion teaches.
Forget religious garbage and start reading scientific books!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13838 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem as Dawkins and Obama seem to find you wanting :-)
Forget the whole religious garbage!
Imhotep

United States

#13839 Mar 16, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The most foolish thing is to pray on a rocking chair. To read in scientific books that would be a very good occupation.
Olde Tennessee Ernie...

Fill in blank
_____is more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Belief in God declines in more developed countries and is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%).

In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%. In United Kingdom "No Religion" has overtaken "Christians" in a 2007 poll.

Interestingly enough in Mexico separation of church and state is guaranteed by Article 130 of the Mexican Constitution, which also designates religious leaders as ineligible for public office, while the majority of the population identifies as Roman Catholic (89%); if only the USA can learn from this!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13840 Mar 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
If any idiot can write Quran, then why there is so much shortage of idiots in past 1400 years, not to bring even one chapter like Quran?
Because the koran or however you spell this evil little stupid book, is as stupid as the illiterate "hero" you worship?

LOL!
MUQ wrote:
If Idiots stopped being born since past 1400 years, then it is the biggest of all Miracles!!
Because idiots are as common as dirt-- especially in the middle east?

You are a FINE specimen of idiot, for example.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13841 Mar 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk on the topic which is "proof for evolution"?
Do not diverge into other issues.
Why you have only one track mind?
Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13842 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you realy hate god don't you. Create a human mr I know everything.
Nope.

I cannot hate that which is not real-- you may as well try to accuse me of hating Harry Potter.

Silly person.

I do despise what the IDEA of god does to people such as yourself-- it clearly damages people's minds.

Yours especially.

Pity, you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13843 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> oh right?? Weirdo.
Yes-- you are quite weird.

You believe in magic.

LOL!
Shyytt

UK

#13844 Mar 16, 2013
Useless piece of tutty u are

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13845 Mar 16, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
This passionate Muslim woman pens a poem to Allah.
Her message applies to all desert religions
http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofzQ2qNBNAg
One of my all-time favorite YouTube videos-- even as it keeps getting force-taken down...

Thanks for the link to the latest incarnation.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#13847 Mar 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
01. If you cannot discover "creator" in all the things are around you, I would call it "negative hallucination".
No such thing, next fallacy please.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#13848 Mar 16, 2013
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text>Whilst looking into a mirror, recite your last question.
You lead first!! Practice what your preach.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#13849 Mar 16, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the koran or however you spell this evil little stupid book, is as stupid as the illiterate "hero" you worship?
LOL!
<quoted text>
Because idiots are as common as dirt-- especially in the middle east?
You are a FINE specimen of idiot, for example.
Your comments only show your stupidness and your foul mouth.

If you spit on sky, it will fall back on your face.

I know cursing and abusing and insulting is your "normal way of talking".

Carry on!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#13850 Mar 16, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof is here.
We've evolved - you haven't.
Get primitive, Muq - you know you love it.
My proof was "better" than yours!!

By "every" standard!!

I do not know where you evolved or not...you are trying to "de-evolve" and go back to that ape like ancestor, you supposed to have evolved from.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#13851 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
And another thing, why try and bring scriptures out to me when you will get torn down. And why bring scriptures out when you don't belive in the most high? That means you acknowledge the most high wether you think the scripture is evil or not. You say the most high dosent exist, ok, then why are you trying to prove something out of a book which you say the god of don't exist? And you don't know the bible I done proved that, so don't try and tell me about it.
If I quote "Alice In Wonderland" does that mean I believe a girl named Alice once existed and that Wonderland is a real place that I'd like to visit one day?

If I can quote said story, how can you 'done prove' different? What is it you think you are proving/disproving. Uhhh, black and white print is really....kind of black and white.
Ellie

Barrington, RI

#13852 Mar 16, 2013
I will be dead and in heaven with God by 2038, Good for me!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#13853 Mar 16, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, but there are so many dafties on Topix. Why respond and why be rude to them? I don't think it helps.
I just thought that it was a bit ignorant to imagine that black or brown skinned people had no use for sun screen. Not an idea to go unchallenged, perhaps?
Yes, I believe it needs challenging and thank you for it. Anyone who would make a statement so obviously rediculous would put one in a quandry as how to answer.

I have Italian heritage, I read it as a joke at first, then looked at the poster's name.....The man(?) himself is ignorant and rude. I don't think responding nicely or not to him will make any difference. If you disagree, he'll act like a jerk anyway.

Just depends on your personal preference and how much patience you've got. I prefer to be nice but I've not got an abundance of patience......sooooo ;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#13854 Mar 16, 2013
Ellie wrote:
I will be dead and in heaven with God by 2038, Good for me!
"All the atoms of our bodies will be blown into space in the disintegration of the Solar System, to live on forever as mass or energy. That's what we should be teacting our children, not fairy tales about angels and seeing grandma in heaven." Carolyn Porco

That's the only eternal life you'll possess....it's not a badthing either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 42 min Uncle Sam 238,971
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr thetruth 7,439
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr thetruth 7,220
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 6 hr thetruth 92
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
More from around the web