Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24178 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#13824 Mar 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
He's an absolute idiot. His stupidity is astonishing.
Either he is slightly retarded or he is putting us on pretending to be this stupid.
<quoted text>
Yes, but there are so many dafties on Topix. Why respond and why be rude to them? I don't think it helps.

I just thought that it was a bit ignorant to imagine that black or brown skinned people had no use for sun screen. Not an idea to go unchallenged, perhaps?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13825 Mar 16, 2013
Didn't the last census have Christianity heading to a minority?
Was still other religions though; with, I think, more people claiming some belief over none. Was even still some Jedi's about.
An ingrained need persists for some type of belief in 'other'. With education to think for themselves I think there will be less deluded come 2038 though not defeated. Parents bring up children by their own philosophy and even when rejected on a temp basis they go back to whatever it is sooner or later in life. The only way round this would be to bring kids up in a kibbutz type scenario perhaps.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#13826 Mar 16, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
Was still other religions though; with, I think, more people claiming some belief over none. Was even still some Jedi's about.
An ingrained need persists for some type of belief in 'other'. With education to think for themselves I think there will be less deluded come 2038 though not defeated. Parents bring up children by their own philosophy and even when rejected on a temp basis they go back to whatever it is sooner or later in life. The only way round this would be to bring kids up in a kibbutz type scenario perhaps.
Nightserf's comments are of most value regarding stats, but I would suggest that most polls ask leading questions, pre-supposing one has a religion or supestitious belief, e.g. "Responses in the survey were to the question, "What is your religious preference?"

The often quoted UK national census asks 'what is your religion'
http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...

Even I ticked Christian in 2001 and I assure you I've had no religion in my life in decades. Nor have most of my friends and family.(I trust we all lead reasonably good lives" :-)

http://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/old-campaign...
Lincoln

United States

#13827 Mar 16, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
Yes!
In the United Kingdom Jedi was a major religion.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#13828 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
In the United Kingdom Jedi was a major religion.
No it isn't and it never was.

A Topix contributor (I forget who) said he put Jedi. It's obvious to us in the UK that most did it to illustrate how silly they felt the question on religion was. They actually had a campaign to have 'Jedi' added as a specific option..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phen...
Some bright sparks may have made a few bob and had a laugh creating this web-site...
http://www.jedichurch.org/
"You can purchase a certificate if you like.." unquote.

I suppose there are a few nutters who call themselves "genuine Jedis". I don't think they're any more serious than "congregations of the Atheist Church". Perhaps that is British humor that some USAmericans don't get?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#13829 Mar 16, 2013
Here's an interesting article on the O'Brien scandal...
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/...

The Church of Rome - transubstantiation, Chief Exorcist, and other rubbish.(God luv-'em!:-)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#13830 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>what's so funny? Its true the sun gives white people cancer. Oh I guess I'm lying about that now right. You make me laugh.
You complete flaming moron.

Pay attention because I would hate for your stupidity to cause pain to someone you know.

Every person of every race can get a sunburn. Every person of every race can get skin cancer and other cancers that can be caused by overexposure to the sun.

Seriously, crack open a book other than the bible sometime.
Lincoln

United States

#13831 Mar 16, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You complete flaming moron.
Pay attention because I would hate for your stupidity to cause pain to someone you know.
Every person of every race can get a sunburn. Every person of every race can get skin cancer and other cancers that can be caused by overexposure to the sun.
Seriously, crack open a book other than the bible sometime.
Yes
Henry

Heilbad Heiligenstadt, Germany

#13832 Mar 16, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me more.
Christ "fulfilled" the Laws, whatever that means. 10 Commandments no longer applies?
We no longer need to burn the animal sacrifices that smell so sweet to the Lord?
Christ's sacrifice fulfilled Original Sin?(yay! Babies who died before being baptized can go to heaven after all!)
Christ paid for our sins and thus giving us carte blanche to do whatever we want like an unlimited prepaid Visa sin card? As long as we declare Jesus is Lord?
It doesn't really matter what you say now, does it? There are a lot of Christians who will disagree with your Biblical interpretation.
The bible is full of fake, lies and errors!
Henry

#13833 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you realy hate god don't you. Create a human mr I know everything.
Well, god is nonexisting, why should I hate a nonexisting thing?
Henry

#13834 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you really can say nothing you still.haven't answered the question I asked you 4 days ago. You don't know the bible one bit, have you read back on the comments?
I am not in the least interested in the bible. Why should I waste my costly time on such childish scriptures?
Henry

#13835 Mar 16, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
You are most welcome. Stunning news is it not?
“Science improves with time. Religion improves by dying out.”~Quandong Loonata
“Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.”~ Chapman Cohen
Without God, life is everything.
“God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”~ Voltaire
“Praying is like a rocking chair-- it'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.”~ Gypsy Rose Lee
The most foolish thing is to pray on a rocking chair. To read in scientific books that would be a very good occupation.
Henry

#13836 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read all three or more versions?
Roman Catholic
King James
New Revised Standard
Quite more sucessful is to start read scientific books. Religions are just a waste of costly time of life!
Henry

#13837 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> ok, I'm not from america I'm from uk, I don't follow religion its pagan, that's about the 10th time I've said that. Moab- japanese. Ishmael-arabs,indians. Japheth-persains,chinese. Ham-africans. Esau-caucasians. Israelites-negros, south americans, west indians, aboriginies,red indians. I don't have a preacher, you have to try and undermind me because you don't know what the bible is. You think its full of fairytales, that's what religion has taught you. And your right you don't go to heaven when you die, dosent say that in the bible, that's what religion teaches.
Forget religious garbage and start reading scientific books!
Henry

#13838 Mar 16, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem as Dawkins and Obama seem to find you wanting :-)
Forget the whole religious garbage!
Imhotep

United States

#13839 Mar 16, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
The most foolish thing is to pray on a rocking chair. To read in scientific books that would be a very good occupation.
Olde Tennessee Ernie...

Fill in blank
_____is more nervous than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Belief in God declines in more developed countries and is concentrated in Europe in countries such as Sweden (64% nonbelievers), Denmark (48%), France (44%) and Germany (42%).

In contrast, the incidence of atheism in most sub-Saharan countries is below 1%. In United Kingdom "No Religion" has overtaken "Christians" in a 2007 poll.

Interestingly enough in Mexico separation of church and state is guaranteed by Article 130 of the Mexican Constitution, which also designates religious leaders as ineligible for public office, while the majority of the population identifies as Roman Catholic (89%); if only the USA can learn from this!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13840 Mar 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
If any idiot can write Quran, then why there is so much shortage of idiots in past 1400 years, not to bring even one chapter like Quran?
Because the koran or however you spell this evil little stupid book, is as stupid as the illiterate "hero" you worship?

LOL!
MUQ wrote:
If Idiots stopped being born since past 1400 years, then it is the biggest of all Miracles!!
Because idiots are as common as dirt-- especially in the middle east?

You are a FINE specimen of idiot, for example.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13841 Mar 16, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk on the topic which is "proof for evolution"?
Do not diverge into other issues.
Why you have only one track mind?
Proof of evolution: http://www.talkorigins.org/

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13842 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text>you realy hate god don't you. Create a human mr I know everything.
Nope.

I cannot hate that which is not real-- you may as well try to accuse me of hating Harry Potter.

Silly person.

I do despise what the IDEA of god does to people such as yourself-- it clearly damages people's minds.

Yours especially.

Pity, you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#13843 Mar 16, 2013
justme2631 wrote:
<quoted text> oh right?? Weirdo.
Yes-- you are quite weird.

You believe in magic.

LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 83,153
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 15 hr Dogen 2,575
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web