Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 Full story: Psychology Today 21,917

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Full Story
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13041 Feb 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an excellent idea-- I've left several anti-islmaic taunts myself, and I'd do it again.
No religion is free from criticism, here.
The catholic church is finished!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13042 Feb 28, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I take it you don't really believe in leprechauns. Sarcasm doesn't suit you and let's both drop the anagonism. The disgust many feel for your silly views is clear enough.
http://www.godchecker.com/
It seems fairly obvious to a disinterested observer that religion is usually parent-given. One must accept it isn't god-given unless one is foolish enough to believe that an all-knowing "creator" communicated with us through one the many and varied prophets of the past and then left us to guess which one, using only the various "good books". Presumably an entity worth "worshiping" isn't that stupid, though why anyone would worship anything in a modern era is a question in itself, even if there were a god(s).
So, given all the various religions, how do you know your father gave you the "correct" one?
How carefully did he really question it himself? Did he examine all the deities in Godchecker and give them equal credence, or might he have been biased towards Islam due to the geographical, chronological and social context of his birth and life?
What would have happened if he had told you it was all nonsense?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#13043 Feb 28, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Because one pope resigned in 600 years? With the amount of money any influence they still have?

You might as well say Apple was finished when Jobs was forced out in 1985.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#13044 Feb 28, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked for a definition of leprechauns to ensure that we are referring to the same entities.
So you cant later on redefine leprechauns and start your 'wheres the evidence' mantra
The one and true leprechauns. The ones that have always been and always will be. The creators of the universe that have always existed and don't require a creator. Those leprechauns.

Nunya

#13045 Feb 28, 2013
Siro wrote:
2nd sentence - let me rewrite this for you as an answer.....
You need evidence that God doesn't exist or denying him is the same as denying your atheism.
You need evidence that Leprechauns don't exist or denying them is the same as denying your theism.
Siro wrote:
How can you base your denial of God on something when you have no evidence of his non existance?
Touche
How can you base your denial of leprechauns on something when you have no evidence for their non existance?
Touche

Nunya

#13046 Feb 28, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
No the Creation process stops at the Creator,(as at zero the numbering system stops, at absolute zero, all movement stops).
So the question who created the Creator becomes a logical absurdity.
Those with "puny" little minds like yours, gloat at what wonderful questions they have asked.
But in reality it is the most stupid question that one can ask.
That is why I said that these atheist are the most unreasonable and illogical people on the face of this earth.
No the creation stops at the leprechauns. So the question of who created the leprechauns becomes a logical absurdity.

Muq, you do realize that the ultimate penalty for not beliving in leprechauns is eternal torture, don't you? You'd have to be absolutely stupid to look at the universe and not see that the leprechauns created it. The evidence is all around you.

Nunya

#13047 Feb 28, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'leprechaun' and its point of origin according to human history
Their point of origin is outside space and time.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#13048 Feb 28, 2013
Atheism is Bull shit. If anything paganism will be the new religion of the future since the Catholic Church was first built on paganism, that is a belief in multiple saints which replicates old pagan Gods.

It was impossible for early Europeans to believe in one God since they were so used to believing in pagan multiple God like entities so thats why early Christians like Paul and Peter made up the Christian religion where they could pray to multiple deities like the saints.

Nunya

#13049 Feb 28, 2013
Clayton Rockwell wrote:
Atheism is Bull shit. If anything paganism will be the new religion of the future since the Catholic Church was first built on paganism, that is a belief in multiple saints which replicates old pagan Gods.
It was impossible for early Europeans to believe in one God since they were so used to believing in pagan multiple God like entities so thats why early Christians like Paul and Peter made up the Christian religion where they could pray to multiple deities like the saints.
Paganism = any religion that's not mine.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#13050 Feb 28, 2013
No Christianity was born from mixing the Jewish faith and the regional Hellenistic religion. Indeed Christianity was considered a pagan religion for centuries.
Clayton Rockwell wrote:
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13051 Feb 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's OK. Religion can exist in a shrunken, disempowered and irrelevant form, and you won't even know its there - like the Druids. You wouldn't mind Christianity if it were like Druidism. For example, what's the Druid position on abortion or gay marriage? Me, neither, and that's exactly the point. The Christians appear to be on their way to that status, too.
This is an exciting time for unbelievers.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13052 Feb 28, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Humans created all of the gods.
<quoted text>
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13053 Feb 28, 2013
Heckler wrote:
Do you really think that a mere human being could ever understand anything about a god that is beyond understanding, beyond the human imagination. That is like a ant understanding a human being. Do you really think that a god that powerful is going to write books for these mere humans living on a planet that is like a grain of sand on the beach compared to the universe?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13054 Feb 28, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>It's not for him, it is too late for him. He is lost to humanity, there is only the animal carcass left of him, which will inflict as much hurt on others, as those around him allow. My words are for the lurkers, people who might be considering joining his demented mind f@ck of a religion. They are the ones who just might step away, before they are strapped into the bomb laden harnesses.
In my case, I think that posting to topix could only be considered beneficial, health-wise.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13055 Feb 28, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>I take it you don't really believe in leprechauns. Sarcasm doesn't suit you and let's both drop the anagonism. The disgust many feel for your silly views is clear enough.
http://www.godchecker.com/
It seems fairly obvious to a disinterested observer that religion is usually parent-given. One must accept it isn't god-given unless one is foolish enough to believe that an all-knowing "creator" communicated with us through one the many and varied prophets of the past and then left us to guess which one, using only the various "good books". Presumably an entity worth "worshiping" isn't that stupid, though why anyone would worship anything in a modern era is a question in itself, even if there were a god(s).
So, given all the various religions, how do you know your father gave you the "correct" one?
How carefully did he really question it himself? Did he examine all the deities in Godchecker and give them equal credence, or might he have been biased towards Islam due to the geographical, chronological and social context of his birth and life?
What would have happened if he had told you it was all nonsense?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13056 Feb 28, 2013
Heckler wrote:
The Catholic religion is the last great Pagan religion. Where people still worship wooden crosses, statues, paintings, and anything that resembles the illusion they have as to how God looks.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#13057 Feb 28, 2013
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>I too wish that to happen, but just a few minutes ago, my son told me that it will never happen, because there are just too many weak ass people on the planet who will not do one iota of thinking more than what it takes to get their instant gratification "Jones" satisfied.
They will not re-think anything, the god, the bible, their religion, any of it. And unless man can come up with a P. T. Barnum type of god, who totally satisfies their prime time entertainment needs along with being their mental and emotional crutch, they will continue do what they are doing now.
And that is a mandatory attendance on Easter Sunday, and for any relatives child's Baptism, and the occasional funeral, and maybe one/two weeks of actual paying their tithes per year. That is, if they remember at all. Their Christianity will sustain itself on those sparse pickings and they will make children learn to say grace, and claim themselves Christian and then launch virulent attacks on any one who would disagree with their version of the gods, or who isn't as good a Christain as they are.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#13058 Feb 28, 2013
What has religion done in the past millennia to improve sanitation and cleanliness? Little to nothing. Science, however, has informed us of the ways in which disease can be spread through improperly handled water and poor hygiene. Science has also provided the tools to make water safer to drink and to clean up both ourselves and our surroundings to greatly reduce the risk of disease. Countless people have been saved from sickness and death through this information.
Keith

London, UK

#13059 Feb 28, 2013
Get rid of evil islam and the world will be fine

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#13060 Feb 28, 2013
Let's throw in the other religions just to be on the safe side.

:)
Keith wrote:
Get rid of evil islam and the world will be fine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 1 hr KiMare 227,301
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 6 hr Patrick 37
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 8 hr Patrick 4,083
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 hr Patrick 176
What Bums Me Out Most About Being an Atheist 9 hr californio 88
The Ultimate Evidence of God 11 hr susanblange 119
Stump a theist with 2 questions 15 hr NightSerf 9
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••