Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 612)

Showing posts 12,221 - 12,240 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Siro

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
I never made that claim. I merely lack a belief in gods.
Either prove that your god created it, with credible evidence, or your claim that it did is null and void.
A 'lack of belief' is not approving as well as not denying.
I have a lack of belief that obama is a good president but I cannot say he doesnt exist either.
So what are you?
An agnostic or maltheist?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe (as we see it) exists.
That in itself is not proof of a creator.
But it has to have a point of origin and ultimately a singular point.
And that singular point would have to have an intelligence of some sort, it could not come about by 'chance'
Siro

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that Leprechauns don't exist or shut up.
Define 'leprechaun' and its point of origin according to human history

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove that Leprechauns don't exist or shut up.
He daren't shut-up and we all know the reasons. Not only but also, we all know he remains in denial for precisely/exactly the same reason(s.) He also realizes that one of the biggest mistakes of his pathetic life was to begin posting on this thread. Without circular argument, he would be 'silent.' He doesn't appear to understand plain English, OR why the judgments he attracts on his postings are always negative, I.E., Nuts/Clueless. If treated like a headache, ignore it, he may go away, then I usually live in hope.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Not so much defeat as replace. As mankind learns more about our world and universe the less we need some mythical god figure.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
But it has to have a point of origin and ultimately a singular point.
And that singular point would have to have an intelligence of some sort, it could not come about by 'chance'
I think the Big Bang Theory represents our best current explanation.

Having said that, I'm well aware that because of the analogous nature of science, it's always possible that one day we may well ditch the Big Bang Theory for something better.

I've no idea what that new explanation may be but I'm fairly sure it'll be one that doesn't rely on magic as an answer.

I guess the universe is real enough; it exists and some of it we can observe and measure. Sure there is much that we don't know about our universe but there is also much that we do know.

It wasn't that long ago when the universe was completely unknown to us. People would try and explain this unknown by creating another level of unknown. I don't see creating a second mystery to solve a first one as being that helpful.

Yet religious people think it reasonable to do just that: They invent an extra layer of mystery, call it by the name of whatever god they happen to worship and categorically deny that anything could have come before it. Yet these same religious people will emphatically deny that a quantum singularity from which our universe may have emerged could have always existed.

Thankfully, science explains the unknown with the known - no need to add extra layers of mystery and magic.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt = Real place, therefore the koran/bible is true.
New York = Real place, therefore Spiderman is true.
Same logic, exact same amount and type of evidence.
Actually?

I've seen several different movies about Spiderman....

So, there is >>more<< evidence of Spiderman.

:D
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. The same amount evidence exists both leprechauns and your god. NONE.
I think you go and see a mental doctor....and tell him your problem is "you see no difference between God and leprechauns".

he will smile and head you off into the "right" padded cell!!

It is hangover which comes after drinking too much beer!!
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The universe (as we see it) exists.
That in itself is not proof of a creator.
Let alone a creator who tells you what hand to use when wiping your arse.
That is what a "dumb" person will say.

I see a "car" that exist, why should I care who made it?

I will use it and say "No one created it".

A "reasonable" person would say "I do not know who created it, but it must have been created by some one". I would like to meet the Creator.

You choose, you are dumb or reasonable?

It is your choice, not mine!!
MUQ

Saudi Arabia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

PS:

All these "little exchanges" prove how little thinking powers you "mental giants" have.

Thinking your assumptions are "facts".... this is the disease that Allah says in Quran "they only follow their conjectures and their desires...they have no knowledge"

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

13 year old Muslim girl raised to be a suicide bomber for Allah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

What is your thoughts on the Muq?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you go and see a mental doctor....and tell him your problem is "you see no difference between God and leprechauns".
he will smile and head you off into the "right" padded cell!!
It is hangover which comes after drinking too much beer!!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'leprechaun' and its point of origin according to human history
Define 'god' and its point of origin according to human history

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what a "dumb" person will say.
I see a "car" that exist, why should I care who made it?
I will use it and say "No one created it".
A "reasonable" person would say "I do not know who created it, but it must have been created by some one". I would like to meet the Creator.
You choose, you are dumb or reasonable?
It is your choice, not mine!!
You see a creator and you don't care who made the creator.

A reasonable person would say "I don't know who created the creator but it must have been created by someone".

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
PS:
All these "little exchanges" prove how little thinking powers you "mental giants" have.
Thinking your assumptions are "facts".... this is the disease that Allah says in Quran "they only follow their conjectures and their desires...they have no knowledge"
In other words, you got your ass kicked because even you admit there is no more proof that your god exists than there is that Leprechauns exist.

Yeah...we know.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
13 year old Muslim girl raised to be a suicide bomber for Allah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
What is your thoughts on the Muq?
<quoted text>
"...["Nina"] says her brother helped plan countless suicide attacks.."

Isn't it always the same: a relatively few terrorists try to hold society (and their fellow religionists) to ransom. They use religion as a cover and Muslims "dutifully" try to minimise their crimes under the delusion that they are 'defending Islam', or some Islamic country or interest. Islamists condemn all kinds of things about the West with the desperate aim of putting Islam in a tolerable light. They try to portray the West as less moral than they are, but the suicide bombers (and their victims) are generally Muslims.

People should speak with one voice against terror, Muslim, religionist or otherwise.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Sadly in Islam it goes a step further. They are commanded to be soldiers of Allah and world domination being the ultimate goal. Not much wiggle room there.

I have friends who are Muslims and I have asked them if their cleric told them Allah instructed him to have them attack a non believer would they? Usually they say something along the lines of, they hope he would never do that.

Not the most comforting answer.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>"...["Nina "] says her brother helped plan countless suicide attacks.."
Isn't it always the same: a relatively few terrorists try to hold society (and their fellow religionists) to ransom. They use religion as a cover and Muslims "dutifully" try to minimise their crimes under the delusion that they are 'defending Islam', or some Islamic country or interest. Islamists condemn all kinds of things about the West with the desperate aim of putting Islam in a tolerable light. They try to portray the West as less moral than they are, but the suicide bombers (and their victims) are generally Muslims.
People should speak with one voice against terror, Muslim, religionist or otherwise.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'god' and its point of origin according to human history
Youre the one asking me to prove that leprechauns dont exist.

God is the Creator and sustainer of all existance.
He has always been in human history and talked about since language/s have existed.
All races, languages and cultures have always held that there is a singular Creator or point of origin for all existance.

Until Karl marx that is.........

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
He has always been in human history and talked about since language/s have existed.
All races, languages and cultures have always held that there is a singular Creator or point of origin for all existance.
This is simply not true.

Greek mythology does not have a singular creator. Egyptian mythology does not have a singular creator. Norse mythology doesn't have a singular creator. Babylonian mythology doesn't have a single creator. And so on.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is simply not true.
Greek mythology does not have a singular creator. Egyptian mythology does not have a singular creator. Norse mythology doesn't have a singular creator. Babylonian mythology doesn't have a single creator. And so on.
Amongst the pagan 'gods' there has always been a chief god, it must be the chief or senior god for some reason.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Youre the one asking me to prove that leprechauns dont exist.
Until Karl marx that is.........
So ... your god is a bunch of concepts and nothing more.

Also, there have been millions of gods, not just one, mentioned.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 12,221 - 12,240 of21,328
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min Patrick 223,062
Our world came from nothing? 33 min Patrick 27
Why do i deserve no respect. 8 hr Patrick 6
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Mikko 1,274
•••
•••