Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12970 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'god' and its point of origin according to human history
Youre the one asking me to prove that leprechauns dont exist.

God is the Creator and sustainer of all existance.
He has always been in human history and talked about since language/s have existed.
All races, languages and cultures have always held that there is a singular Creator or point of origin for all existance.

Until Karl marx that is.........

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#12971 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
He has always been in human history and talked about since language/s have existed.
All races, languages and cultures have always held that there is a singular Creator or point of origin for all existance.
This is simply not true.

Greek mythology does not have a singular creator. Egyptian mythology does not have a singular creator. Norse mythology doesn't have a singular creator. Babylonian mythology doesn't have a single creator. And so on.
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12972 Feb 25, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is simply not true.
Greek mythology does not have a singular creator. Egyptian mythology does not have a singular creator. Norse mythology doesn't have a singular creator. Babylonian mythology doesn't have a single creator. And so on.
Amongst the pagan 'gods' there has always been a chief god, it must be the chief or senior god for some reason.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12973 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... your god is a bunch of concepts and nothing more.

Also, there have been millions of gods, not just one, mentioned.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#12974 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and you still haven't proven leprechauns don't exist. Therefore, you have to believe in them, if you do not, then you are being a hypocrite by believing in your god.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#12975 Feb 25, 2013
Prove "always".
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Amongst the pagan 'gods' there has always been a chief god, it must be the chief or senior god for some reason.
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12976 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So ... your god is a bunch of concepts and nothing more.
Also, there have been millions of gods, not just one, mentioned.
Concepts explained by humans to other humans, concepts based on fact as understood by the physical senses.
Millions of gods?
Doubtful, different languages and cultures can have different names for the same God - the only God.
Jehovah, Yahweh, YHVH, Adonai YHVH, Allah and Holy Father are all names of the ONE GOD.
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12977 Feb 25, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Prove "always".
<quoted text>
There is always a first among equals (if you are referring to pagan 'gods')
What do you think it should be?
A f*cking rehab clinc where everyone is equal because theyre 'all victims'?
Siro

Auburn, Australia

#12978 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and you still haven't proven leprechauns don't exist. Therefore, you have to believe in them, if you do not, then you are being a hypocrite by believing in your god.
I asked for a definition of leprechauns to ensure that we are referring to the same entities.
So you cant later on redefine leprechauns and start your 'wheres the evidence' mantra

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#12979 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Concepts explained by humans to other humans, concepts based on fact as understood by the physical senses.
Millions of gods?
Doubtful, different languages and cultures can have different names for the same God - the only God.
Jehovah, Yahweh, YHVH, Adonai YHVH, Allah and Holy Father are all names of the ONE GOD.
Um, what about Nut, Ra, Bast, Anpu, Geb, Set, and Ptah? That's not even half of that pantheon.

Then there's Zeus, Athena, Apollo ... and I can't remember many of those ones at all.

I'm not even going to try to spell the Aztec or Incan gods.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#12980 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked for a definition of leprechauns to ensure that we are referring to the same entities.
So you cant later on redefine leprechauns and start your 'wheres the evidence' mantra
It doesn't matter what the definition is, that's what you don't get. You need evidence that leprechauns don't exist or denying them is the same as denying your god.

Location hidden

#12981 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Because people like thinking of someone being in charge?

Regardless, your statement was wrong. The most prominent god is often NOT the creator god (for example, Zeus, Marduk, or Odin) and there often is not a singular creator god, but multiple creators (Gaia/Aether/Uranus, Tiamat/Abzu) or abstract starts (Ymir born from ice/poison).

Location hidden

#12982 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions of gods?
Millions is an exaggeration, but there are clearly many, many distinct gods.
Siro

Canberra, Australia

#12983 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter what the definition is, that's what you don't get. You need evidence that leprechauns don't exist or denying them is the same as denying your god.
1st sentence - Frankfurt school marxism aka make the definition to define the result.
2nd sentence - let me rewrite this for you as an answer.....
You need evidence that God doesn't exist or denying him is the same as denying your atheism.

How can you base your denial of God on something when you have no evidence of his non existance?

Touche
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#12984 Feb 25, 2013
I am so happy each year another church or two close in my area. By time my grand kids are my age I hope for most part religion is dead....Religion and god figures are mankinds worst invention.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12985 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
1st sentence - Frankfurt school marxism aka make the definition to define the result.
You need evidence that God doesn't exist or denying him is the same as denying your atheism.
How can you base your denial of God on something when you have no evidence of his non existance?
Touche
Prove that Leprechauns don't exist or state definitively that you believe in Leprechauns.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#12986 Feb 25, 2013
Siro.....I know for fact space aliens are real and have been to earth.........

PROVE ME WRONG..........LOL...

When you make a claim the burden of proof is on you....Not on others to prove you wrong.....

Grow up it is 2013...for two thousand years your religion ahs ruled this world in tyranny....TIME TO PROVE YOUR GOD IS REAL OR TO SHUT UP......
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#12987 Feb 25, 2013
By the way I dont know if space aliens are real or not......just making a point.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#12988 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Touche
Epic fail... but, judging by your posts, that is all that you are good at
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

#12989 Feb 25, 2013
Prove "always".
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
There is always a first among equals (if you are referring to pagan 'gods')
What do you think it should be?
A f*cking rehab clinc where everyone is equal because theyre 'all victims'?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 16 min ATHEOI 362
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 22 min ATHEOI 10,365
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min Patrick 21,414
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 26 min Patrick 556
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 30 min Patrick 20,317
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 hr Eagle 12 257,140
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr SoE 45,560
More from around the web