Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

There are 24182 comments on the Psychology Today story from Apr 25, 2012, titled Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038. In it, Psychology Today reports that:

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psychology Today.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12949 Feb 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is called Reverse Logic, KUTARK in Hindi. These are just rhetoric answers. Does not mean anything.
Egypt = Real place, therefore the koran/bible is true.

New York = Real place, therefore Spiderman is true.

Same logic, exact same amount and type of evidence.

Since: Apr 08

Watford, UK

#12950 Feb 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you CLAIM that God does not exist. As for our claim, we have this whole Universe as a living proof.
Either you prove that this Universe can create itself, or it can come by chance or by random occurrences..
Otherwise your Claim in Null and void.
PS:
I thought that you had some basic intelligence, but these exchanges show that you even lack the understanding of even a 5 years old.
The universe (as we see it) exists.

That in itself is not proof of a creator.

Let alone a creator who tells you what hand to use when wiping your arse.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#12951 Feb 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.....
I like this touch. As if your "answers" aren't foolish.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is also International Law as for as I know it.
International law must work for all people, equally. It isn't Sharia compliant and religion has nothing to do with it.

Religion holds irrational ideas as sacred,(e.g. the absurd Prophet Mohammed's name & images must be respected). Religion therefore causes senseless divisions amongst mankind that can impede development of international laws based on sound morals and reasoning. Sunnis and Shias can't even live in peace together!

The funniest thing about your nonsense though, Muq, is that if you were born in the USA of a Christian Pastor one suspects you would be virulently anti-Islam and pro-Zionist.(Still, I'm confidenct that Malala and the girls will sort you out, in time :-)

And I repeat - much better to be a bastard than a religious fundamentalist. And better an unmarried couple than a devoutly and fervently religious pair.

Religion = superstition
Get over it.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12952 Feb 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you CLAIM that God does not exist. As for our claim, we have this whole Universe as a living proof.
Either you prove that this Universe can create itself, or it can come by chance or by random occurrences..
Otherwise your Claim in Null and void.
PS:
I thought that you had some basic intelligence, but these exchanges show that you even lack the understanding of even a 5 years old.
Prove that Leprechauns don't exist or shut up.
Siro

Ashfield, Australia

#12953 Feb 24, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
I never made that claim. I merely lack a belief in gods.
Either prove that your god created it, with credible evidence, or your claim that it did is null and void.
A 'lack of belief' is not approving as well as not denying.
I have a lack of belief that obama is a good president but I cannot say he doesnt exist either.
So what are you?
An agnostic or maltheist?
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
But it has to have a point of origin and ultimately a singular point.
And that singular point would have to have an intelligence of some sort, it could not come about by 'chance'
Siro

Ashfield, Australia

#12954 Feb 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'leprechaun' and its point of origin according to human history

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#12955 Feb 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
He daren't shut-up and we all know the reasons. Not only but also, we all know he remains in denial for precisely/exactly the same reason(s.) He also realizes that one of the biggest mistakes of his pathetic life was to begin posting on this thread. Without circular argument, he would be 'silent.' He doesn't appear to understand plain English, OR why the judgments he attracts on his postings are always negative, I.E., Nuts/Clueless. If treated like a headache, ignore it, he may go away, then I usually live in hope.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#12956 Feb 24, 2013
Not so much defeat as replace. As mankind learns more about our world and universe the less we need some mythical god figure.

Watford, UK

#12957 Feb 24, 2013
Siro wrote:
But it has to have a point of origin and ultimately a singular point.
And that singular point would have to have an intelligence of some sort, it could not come about by 'chance'
I think the Big Bang Theory represents our best current explanation.

Having said that, I'm well aware that because of the analogous nature of science, it's always possible that one day we may well ditch the Big Bang Theory for something better.

I've no idea what that new explanation may be but I'm fairly sure it'll be one that doesn't rely on magic as an answer.

I guess the universe is real enough; it exists and some of it we can observe and measure. Sure there is much that we don't know about our universe but there is also much that we do know.

It wasn't that long ago when the universe was completely unknown to us. People would try and explain this unknown by creating another level of unknown. I don't see creating a second mystery to solve a first one as being that helpful.

Yet religious people think it reasonable to do just that: They invent an extra layer of mystery, call it by the name of whatever god they happen to worship and categorically deny that anything could have come before it. Yet these same religious people will emphatically deny that a quantum singularity from which our universe may have emerged could have always existed.

Thankfully, science explains the unknown with the known - no need to add extra layers of mystery and magic.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#12959 Feb 24, 2013

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#12960 Feb 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt = Real place, therefore the koran/bible is true.
New York = Real place, therefore Spiderman is true.
Same logic, exact same amount and type of evidence.
Actually?

I've seen several different movies about Spiderman....

So, there is >>more<< evidence of Spiderman.

:D
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#12961 Feb 24, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. The same amount evidence exists both leprechauns and your god. NONE.
I think you go and see a mental doctor....and tell him your problem is "you see no difference between God and leprechauns".

he will smile and head you off into the "right" padded cell!!

It is hangover which comes after drinking too much beer!!
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#12962 Feb 24, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Let alone a creator who tells you what hand to use when wiping your arse.
That is what a "dumb" person will say.

I see a "car" that exist, why should I care who made it?

I will use it and say "No one created it".

A "reasonable" person would say "I do not know who created it, but it must have been created by some one". I would like to meet the Creator.

You choose, you are dumb or reasonable?

It is your choice, not mine!!
MUQ

Qatif, Saudi Arabia

#12963 Feb 24, 2013
PS:

All these "little exchanges" prove how little thinking powers you "mental giants" have.

Thinking your assumptions are "facts".... this is the disease that Allah says in Quran "they only follow their conjectures and their desires...they have no knowledge"

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#12964 Feb 24, 2013
13 year old Muslim girl raised to be a suicide bomber for Allah.

What is your thoughts on the Muq?
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you go and see a mental doctor....and tell him your problem is "you see no difference between God and leprechauns".
he will smile and head you off into the "right" padded cell!!
It is hangover which comes after drinking too much beer!!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#12965 Feb 24, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Define 'leprechaun' and its point of origin according to human history
Define 'god' and its point of origin according to human history

Watford, UK

#12966 Feb 24, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what a "dumb" person will say.
I see a "car" that exist, why should I care who made it?
I will use it and say "No one created it".
A "reasonable" person would say "I do not know who created it, but it must have been created by some one". I would like to meet the Creator.
You choose, you are dumb or reasonable?
It is your choice, not mine!!
You see a creator and you don't care who made the creator.

A reasonable person would say "I don't know who created the creator but it must have been created by someone".

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#12967 Feb 25, 2013
MUQ wrote:
PS:
All these "little exchanges" prove how little thinking powers you "mental giants" have.
Thinking your assumptions are "facts".... this is the disease that Allah says in Quran "they only follow their conjectures and their desires...they have no knowledge"
In other words, you got your ass kicked because even you admit there is no more proof that your god exists than there is that Leprechauns exist.

Yeah...we know.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#12968 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
13 year old Muslim girl raised to be a suicide bomber for Allah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zDUaGTOg9FMXX
What is your thoughts on the Muq?
<quoted text>
"...["Nina"] says her brother helped plan countless suicide attacks.."

Isn't it always the same: a relatively few terrorists try to hold society (and their fellow religionists) to ransom. They use religion as a cover and Muslims "dutifully" try to minimise their crimes under the delusion that they are 'defending Islam', or some Islamic country or interest. Islamists condemn all kinds of things about the West with the desperate aim of putting Islam in a tolerable light. They try to portray the West as less moral than they are, but the suicide bombers (and their victims) are generally Muslims.

People should speak with one voice against terror, Muslim, religionist or otherwise.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#12969 Feb 25, 2013
Sadly in Islam it goes a step further. They are commanded to be soldiers of Allah and world domination being the ultimate goal. Not much wiggle room there.

I have friends who are Muslims and I have asked them if their cleric told them Allah instructed him to have them attack a non believer would they? Usually they say something along the lines of, they hope he would never do that.

Not the most comforting answer.
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>"...["Nina "] says her brother helped plan countless suicide attacks.."
Isn't it always the same: a relatively few terrorists try to hold society (and their fellow religionists) to ransom. They use religion as a cover and Muslims "dutifully" try to minimise their crimes under the delusion that they are 'defending Islam', or some Islamic country or interest. Islamists condemn all kinds of things about the West with the desperate aim of putting Islam in a tolerable light. They try to portray the West as less moral than they are, but the suicide bombers (and their victims) are generally Muslims.
People should speak with one voice against terror, Muslim, religionist or otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min Chimney1 48,552
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min Rings9780 21,867
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 17
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 6 hr Into The Night 23,503
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 hr New Age Spiritual... 258,040
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 3 Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Dec 2 Scaritual 14
More from around the web