Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
11,841 - 11,860 of 21,400 Comments Last updated Sunday
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm suggesting that you are a hypocrite for continually bashing science while gleefully reaping the benefits of science.
But then, most religious types are "do as I say, not as I do" kind of people...
A case of the kettle calling the pot black, don't you think?

“Kenyan-born Obama=Antichrist”

Since: Sep 09

Casper, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Wat the Tyler wrote:
Religion will cease to exist sometime in the 21st century.
RELIGIONS Freemasonry and Secular Humanism will survive as born-again believers will be Raptured before Obama is revealed as the antichrist.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

The intersection set of Atheism with Secular Humanism is larger than most religious sects.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
A general category is not a philosophy or an organization. Atheism is simply a collection of people who lack a belief in God. When pressed for answers, you borrow the ideologies of humanism but you don't practice what you preach. You don't have too. As a non organization without a philosphy, you can't be identified with particular code of ethics.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
It is precisely because I think for myself, that I do not accept the methodology of science. Science doesn't deal in values. It passes the buck. If everything is valueless, it does not have to hold itself accountable for its own actions.
Wrong conclusion. Science doesn't deal with values because it is interested in how the universe works. That doesn't mean that scientists don't have values, just the science doesn't study them. But science also doesn't do art or music, even though those are good and important aspects of life.
It is unethical to sacrifice life in the pursuit of knowledge,

Now *that* is a debatable proposition. Suppose that to gain a knowledge of how to cure cancer, we have to kill a cockroach. Is that unethical? I would say most definitely not. So your general proposition is clearly false.

A much better question is whether it is unethical to kill mammals to test the safety of cosmetics. And *that* I do see as problematic (although that has largely to do with the fact that cosmetics are usually not essential for existence).
but scientists routinely experiment on caged laboratory animals in the most appalling ways because without values, the end always justifies the means.
No, that is most certainly NOT the reasoning used. First, those animals are generally used to help us understand human diseases and hence to prevent the suffering and death of humans. That allows for the killing of those animals to be ethical *if* sufficient knowledge is gained to justify the techniques used.
The idea that there is no purpose except to serve one's individual definition of purpose is egocentric. If an atheist thinks that the purpose of life is to make more money, then, virtue to him consist of the best car, or house or swimming pool, which does absolutely nothing to better the human condition.
While I think it much more egocentric to expect a 'purpose' in life that is cosmic or anything beyond our specific lives.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
A case of the kettle calling the pot black, don't you think?
Um...no, actually, I don't.

How sad that you can only dodge the issue.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Do expect something else when you define atheism as nothing more than a lack of belief in God?
You're attempting to move the goalposts.

You're stated position that we were discussion was that 'a person cannot be a Humanist if they are an atheist.' And that position is absurdly stupid.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
...The idea that there is no purpose except to serve one's individual definition of purpose is egocentric. If an atheist thinks that the purpose of life is to make more money, then, virtue to him consist of the best car, or house or swimming pool, which does absolutely nothing to better the human condition.
Ah yes, it is the height of arrogance for atheists to believe that the entire universe with its billions of stars in billions of galaxies was *NOT* created just for humans.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We think alike.
This is easier than Duck Hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Lol

It's not difficult, is it?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to understand that the biblical version of god is not the only version of God.
How is that relevant to what I said?

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
My answer? Get it on a Triple Word Score.
<quoted text>
My best Scrabble score was "reequips" across two Triple Word Squares for 221 points.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
You simply lack a belief in God.
Atheists lack a belief in gods.

Please note the plural.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Exactly. By design all of us are capable of independent thought. It is the height of human vanity to expect the whole of mankind to bow to one set of dogmas whether it be science or religion.
You'll excuse me while I check my irony meter.
insidesecrets wrote:
My version of God wouldn't issue such an order.
Why can't you be honest with yourself here?

I didn't say WHEN your god asks you to kill the child - I said IF your god asks you to do it.

You do realise that by saying your god would never issue such an order, you're putting limits on what he can/can't do?

Care to have another go at the question?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to understand that the biblical version of god is not the only version of God.
Yes, we know - each person has their own version of a god who just happens to always hate the exact same people that person hates.

Further evidence that all gods are make believe.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Atheism is simply a collection of people who lack a belief in God.
Not just your god but any god.

Atheists do not believe in any of the many gods that humans claim exist.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
What you suggesting? That I lay down my life for science because I use Ibuprofen now and then, and own a computer? Surely you jest!
If you actually expect this sort of mindless resignation, make sure you understand what you are acquiescing to......
"Bad reactions to prescription and over-the-counter medicines kill more than 100,000 Americans and seriously injure an additional 2.1 million every year -- far more than most people realize, researchers say. Such reactions, which do not include prescribing errors or drug abuse, rank at least sixth among U.S. causes of death -- behind heart disease, cancer, lung disease, strokes and accidents, says a report based on an analysis of existing studies.(University of Toronto study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association by Dr. Bruce Pomeranz )"
"Most of the everyday practices of modern medicine are unproven if we go by the government's own standards. In 1978, the Office of Technology Assessment (OTA), an arm of the United States Congress, issued a major research report that concluded "only 10 to 20 percent of all procedures currently used in medical practices have been shown to be efficacious by controlled trial." In other words, 80 to 90 percent of what doctors do to you is scientifically unproven guesswork. By this government-supported definition, most of modern medicine is quackery."---Richard Walters (Assessing the Efficacy and Safety of Medical Technologies," U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, PB 286-929, 1978)."
Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364
Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2010, tables 1, 7, 10, 20 [PDF - 3.1 MB]
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths_2010_...
Klink

Aurora, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

No not atheists; Catholic LATINS & MUSLIMS are taking over. The atheist is just too stupid to see it.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Key Facts
Adverse drug events (ADEs) are a serious public health problem. It is estimated that:

82% of American adults take at least one medication and 29% take five or more [1];
700,000 emergency department visits and 120,000 hospitalizations are due to ADEs annually [2];
$3.5 billion is spent on extra medical costs of ADEs annually [3];
At least 40% of costs of ambulatory (non-hospital settings) ADEs are estimated to be preventable [3].

http://www.cdc.gov/medicationsafety/basics.ht...

The CDC also conducted a surveillance study of ADEs that showed it responsible for "2.5%(95% CI, 2.0%-3.1%) of estimated emergency department visits for all unintentional injuries and 6.7%(95% CI, 4.7%-8.7%) of those leading to hospitalization... " Morality was not assessed, but I suspect that it was quite low or it would have attracted more attention from the researchers.

Elsewhere in the CDC's literature, I read that the bulk of these visits involved prescription medications, so insidesecret's assertions about the extent of nonprescription drug mortality are absurdly off the mark. This is probably due to lack of diligence in accepting the first source of information that confirms her personal bias.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't understand the first thing about atheism and, apparently, are not capable of actually hearing anything that conflicts with your preconceived prejudices.
Atheism is a general category that includes anybody and everybody who does not fit into the category "theism." The only thing that being an "atheist" tells you is what I'm NOT -- "not a theist". this tells you absolutely nothing about what I am, which for a lot of atheists is HUMANIST.
<quoted text>
A bunch of made up strawman BS that has no bearing on anything except your need to hate and fear things you can't understand.
<quoted text>
Pick one -- " http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism&quo... ;
One of a very few very good posts I've had the opportunity and pleasure to read. Pity it's wasted on such a futile exercise.
Klink

Aurora, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

jacktheladat1 wrote:
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't understand the first thing about atheism and, apparently, are not capable of actually hearing anything that conflicts with your preconceived prejudices.
Atheism is a general category that includes anybody and everybody who does not fit into the category "theism." The only thing that being an "atheist" tells you is what I'm NOT -- "not a theist". this tells you absolutely nothing about what I am, which for a lot of atheists is HUMANIST.One of a very few very good posts I've had the opportunity and pleasure to read. Pity it's wasted on such a futile exercise.

Much too simplistic. We know the atheists have learned beliefs from state schools and a very secular media who all advocate this evolution nonsense since Darwinism. So dont try and tell us there's no rhyme or reason for your madness. Christians have been thru the same bloody indoctrination centers and have the wisdom to reject the brainwashing.

Atheism: the NWO lie

http://atheists.org/The_Enlightenment,_Freema...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Reason

http://alltheinternet.net/...

http://www.creationism.org/books/TaylorInMind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
...'a person cannot be a Humanist if they are an atheist.' And that position is absurdly stupid.
Indeed.'Humanist' is by definition rational....
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism

http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/content/a...

That argues that belief in an Abrahamic god(s), or gods in general, is inimical to being humanist. Being fairly atheist is a pre-requisite.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••