Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 592)

Showing posts 11,821 - 11,840 of20,815
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
There are and were many thousands of gods, not even one of them has ever been real! Funny garbage nothing else!
Sadly in the 21st century the human MONKEY continues to be easily led by religous nonsense. My question is, what price intellegence??
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an atheist, not a humanist. You have no philosophy, no code of rational ethics, you're not an organization. You simply lack a belief in God. Isn't that your standard mantra?
Atheism leaves people feeling vulnerable. Without a divine protector to keep their best interests in check, they become frightened people and frightened people don't want freedom. They want protection, a leader who will order their lives for them. That leader is secular science. And what has secular science provided to soothe the savage beast, this accidental creation alive without direction or purpose? Since Darwin's Origin of the Species, there has been a protracted period of scientific speculation, theories, observations and opinions, but no substantiated conclusions identifying the atheist place in creation. He is left to his own wiles, hence his paranoia.
<quoted text>
The paranoid atheist organizes the world around his obsession with religion. He cuts everything out that does not apply. Invents stories to support his fears until all conforms to his beliefs.
<quoted text>
Of course it has no failures. It has never been tested in its pure form. It's a philosophy, not a society. A philosophy that has been polluted by various interpretations since its inception. Whose version of humanism are you talking about? Religious humanism? Secular humanism? Inclusive humanism? Renaissance humanism?
In a word! NONSENSE!!!!!!!!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have a go at answering that one.
No, I certainly wouldn't - because, it would most likely prove to be fatal.There - that's my honest answer.
Exactly. By design all of us are capable of independent thought. It is the height of human vanity to expect the whole of mankind to bow to one set of dogmas whether it be science or religion.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Your turn now....
Would you obey your god if he ordered you to slit the throat of the child next door?
My version of God wouldn't issue such an order.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the fruit of secular philosophy. Secularists had to criminalize many Christian practices.
And yes, that was centuries ago, but there is no reason to believe that if they legalized witch burning again tomorrow that the Christians wouldn't be setting people on fire the day after.
Can you name one instance in history where Christians had the power to burn or impale unbelievers with impunity, but elected not to use it - even one instance of Christians saying, "Yes, we could burn people alive for blasphemy, but we choose not to do so, because that would be too barbaric and sadistic"?
Religions are having no power any more in the nuclear age! Capitalism is on its mortal downfall, like it or not
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

sickofit wrote:
Only insane mental midgets still beleive and follow any religion. Us sane educated people dont follow religion and its hate filled racist bigoted ways.
The nuclear inferno is on its way! The majority is no more able to tame the atom!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Now don`t be so quick with your judgment. The nuclear age may destroy capitalism and mankind too. So there will be the end of humanity! So we may be have no human history anymore. This will be regrettable, but nature does not care! Perhaps then a different future will begin!
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.- Chief Seattle, 1854

Mother Nature is the genius, not man. She does not need to be perfected or improved in any way. She is filled with divine creativity so that not a single snowflake escapes her crafting hand.

When scientific secularism redefined reality and dropped God out of its equations, the "new man" made in Darwin's image began to devalue and alter the only home he has to satisfy the only virtue he knows, his gluttonous appetites. In his haste to grow things bigger and better and faster he has damaged the environment. Recycling plastic and preserving what is left of our ancient ecosystems won't save the world. The way we THINK will however. If it is not too late, humankind must re-learn the lessons our ancient ancestors knew, knowledge scientific secularism has lost touch with that allowed our ancestors to live sustainably for hundreds of thousands of years. A reverent regard for Nature will lead Darwinian man into a new age...controlled populations, respect for the earth, reduced wasteful consumption and re-created communities based on compassion and alturism rather than self gain and gluttony.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.- Chief Seattle, 1854
" http://www.snopes.com/quotes/seattle.asp" ;

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an atheist, not a humanist. You have no philosophy, no code of rational ethics, you're not an organization. You simply lack a belief in God. Isn't that your standard mantra?
You really don't understand the first thing about atheism and, apparently, are not capable of actually hearing anything that conflicts with your preconceived prejudices.

Atheism is a general category that includes anybody and everybody who does not fit into the category "theism." The only thing that being an "atheist" tells you is what I'm NOT -- "not a theist". this tells you absolutely nothing about what I am, which for a lot of atheists is HUMANIST.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism leaves people feeling ...his beliefs.
A bunch of made up strawman BS that has no bearing on anything except your need to hate and fear things you can't understand.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Whose version of humanism are you talking about? Religious humanism? Secular humanism? Inclusive humanism? Renaissance humanism?
Pick one -- " http://www.thefreedictionary.com/humanism&quo... ;
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Great link. Whilst I don't deny that the climate is changing, and preferring science to polemic, I do deny most things Al Gore related.
Hedonist wrote:

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, atheism *per se* is simply the lack of belief in any deity. And you are correct, atheism is, itself, not a philosophy or a moral system. it is *not* the denial of any philosophy or moral system; it is simply a lack of belief in deities.

BUT humanism, which *is* a philosophy and a moral system is certainly *compatible* with atheism: there is no assumption that deities exist within humanism. Because of this, it is possible to be *both* an atheist and a humanist. In practice, many atheists are , in fact, humanists. In the same way, many atheists are parent, joggers, or people who like tomatoes. To be an atheist is only a statement about one small issue: whether one has a belief in deities.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Atheism leaves people feeling vulnerable. Without a divine protector to keep their best interests in check, they become frightened people and frightened people don't want freedom. They want protection, a leader who will order their lives for them.
Might I suggest that they simply grow up and stop requiring other people to think for them?
That leader is secular science. And what has secular science provided to soothe the savage beast, this accidental creation alive without direction or purpose?
That isn't the goal or purpose of science. The goal of science is to understand how the universe works. if you want direction and/or purpose, read some philosophy, literature, look at art, fall in love, and learn to think for yourself.

I *do* have 'direction and purpose': to learn, to love, to teach, to help, to experience. But that direction and purpose are chosen *by me* and not dictated by any deity. I have no requirement that my purpose survive my death. In fact, it seems silly to me to require such a thing.
Since Darwin's Origin of the Species, there has been a protracted period of scientific speculation, theories, observations and opinions, but no substantiated conclusions identifying the atheist place in creation. He is left to his own wiles, hence his paranoia.
Once again, not the place of science, except in the trivial sense: we are biological organisms on a smallish planet orbiting a rather ordinary star in a large barbed spiral galaxy. That *is* our place in 'creation'.
Whose version of humanism are you talking about? Religious humanism? Secular humanism? Inclusive humanism? Renaissance humanism?
Secular humanism, for me, please.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
Now, I suggest you think very closely why that would be the case. If it was simply what 'God wishes', then you could not say that the command to slit the throat of a child is against God's will *except* to claim that it is, independently of God's desires, immoral. But then *that* shows that morality is not dependent on a deity, but even the deity would be evil if such a command was issued.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Your god has issued worse. By the way, isn't your god grand?

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-timbuktu-punished...

We see a great example of how people who follow your god treat others.
insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. By design all of us are capable of independent thought. It is the height of human vanity to expect the whole of mankind to bow to one set of dogmas whether it be science or religion.
<quoted text>
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't understand the first thing about atheism and, apparently, are not capable of actually hearing anything that conflicts with your preconceived prejudices.

What's to understand? Outside of the lack of belief in God, atheisim is nothing.

[QUOTE who="Hedonist"]<q uoted text>
Atheism is a general category that includes anybody and everybody who does not fit into the category "theism." The only thing that being an "atheist" tells you is what I'm NOT -- "not a theist". this tells you absolutely nothing about what I am, which for a lot of atheists is HUMANIST.
A general category is not a philosophy or an organization. Atheism is simply a collection of people who lack a belief in God. When pressed for answers, you borrow the ideologies of humanism but you don't practice what you preach. You don't have too. As a non organization without a philosphy, you can't be identified with particular code of ethics.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, atheism *per se* is simply the lack of belief in any deity. And you are correct, atheism is, itself, not a philosophy or a moral system. it is *not* the denial of any philosophy or moral system; it is simply a lack of belief in deities.
BUT humanism, which *is* a philosophy and a moral system is certainly *compatible* with atheism: there is no assumption that deities exist within humanism. Because of this, it is possible to be *both* an atheist and a humanist. In practice, many atheists are , in fact, humanists. In the same way, many atheists are parent, joggers, or people who like tomatoes. To be an atheist is only a statement about one small issue: whether one has a belief in deities.
Thanks. Helpful to have it explained clearly.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
A general category is not a philosophy or an organization. Atheism is simply a collection of people who lack a belief in God. When pressed for answers, you borrow the ideologies of humanism but you don't practice what you preach. You don't have too. As a non organization without a philosphy, you can't be identified with particular code of ethics.
Saying that I can't be an atheist and a Humanist is as stupid as saying people can't be theists AND a protestants at the same time? That's absurd.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Might I suggest that they simply grow up and stop requiring other people to think for them?
That isn't the goal or purpose of science. The goal of science is to understand how the universe works. if you want direction and/or purpose, read some philosophy, literature, look at art, fall in love, and learn to think for yourself.
It is precisely because I think for myself, that I do not accept the methodology of science. Science doesn't deal in values. It passes the buck. If everything is valueless, it does not have to hold itself accountable for its own actions. It is unethical to sacrifice life in the pursuit of knowledge, but scientists routinely experiment on caged laboratory animals in the most appalling ways because without values, the end always justifies the means. "Certainly some lives may be lost along the way, but overall mankind will benefit." This is the usual argument, but this is not a search for truth. This is fanaticism. The sacredness of life cannot be sacrificed for life's convenience, or the quality of life itself will suffer. We see the evidence of this sort of fanaticism all around us in the degradation of nature.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I *do* have 'direction and purpose': to learn, to love, to teach, to help, to experience. But that direction and purpose are chosen *by me* and not dictated by any deity. I have no requirement that my purpose survive my death. In fact, it seems silly to me to require such a thing.
The idea that there is no purpose except to serve one's individual definition of purpose is egocentric. If an atheist thinks that the purpose of life is to make more money, then, virtue to him consist of the best car, or house or swimming pool, which does absolutely nothing to better the human condition.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, I suggest you think very closely why that would be the case. If it was simply what 'God wishes', then you could not say that the command to slit the throat of a child is against God's will *except* to claim that it is, independently of God's desires, immoral. But then *that* shows that morality is not dependent on a deity, but even the deity would be evil if such a command was issued.
You need to understand that the biblical version of god is not the only version of God.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to understand that the biblical version of god is not the only version of God.
PRAISE PANGU!
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Saying that I can't be an atheist and a Humanist is as stupid as saying people can't be theists AND a protestants at the same time? That's absurd.
Do expect something else when you define atheism as nothing more than a lack of belief in God?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,821 - 11,840 of20,815
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••