Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 591)

Showing posts 11,801 - 11,820 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

No I admit I didn't, because I was searching on "Thinking".
Yours is a great post. The 3 stages of so many fundie posts:
1. Attempt (but fail) to destabilise the scientific method without admitting you're on a religious crusade.
2. Say we all need their religion. Fail again.
3. F**k off crying and threatening damnation.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see this?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
If a scientist told you to leap off the nearest cliff to adjust a chemical imbalance, would you do it?
I'll have a go at answering that one.

No, I certainly wouldn't - because, it would most likely prove to be fatal.

There - that's my honest answer.

Your turn now....

Would you obey your god if he ordered you to slit the throat of the child next door?
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

You abandoned it?
Brit Expat wrote:
Whatever happened to my England?????
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

A strong desire to be awkward, unhelpful and undesirable?
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
What I find unbelievable is why any european woman would want to marry into that (shakes head). I really think they dont know what they are letting themselves into.
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Klandathu is the collective name for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
As a militant atheist, I'm doing my part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Thinking wrote:
You abandoned it?
<quoted text>
Yep! My England died with the Empire!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

ronan wrote:
<quoted text>
What sock gremlins have to do with this?
If someone says "there is no God", it's an affirmation, it's taking a position on the existence of God (negative in this case).
The person who says "there is no God" believes in what he says; therefore atheism is a belief.
Even atheism have faith in their beliefs.
Atheism is increasingly seen as a faith by outsiders.
The fact that (some) atheists also try to convince others of their beliefs, to convert them to their faith don't make them different from religious missionaries.
Agnosticism isn't a belief or a faith; it is just an intellectual position. Agnosticism is the recognition that one is in doubt and cannot be conviced one way or the other about the existence of God.
To me, as an atheist (for 70 years or so) it is god non existent. The hole religious myths are at best fairy tales. Religious leaders are mostly fakers or worse. Uneducated masses are a pity or commited to crimes for milleniums.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Khatru wrote:
I'll have a go at answering that one. No, I certainly wouldn't - because, it would most likely prove to be fatal. There - that's my honest answer.

Your turn now....

Would you obey your god if he ordered you to slit the throat of the child next door?
We think alike.

This is easier than Duck Hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Roman?

Just kidding. My wife's French btw.
Brit Expat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep! My England died with the Empire!
Thinking

Charlton Mackrell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

My answer? Get it on a Triple Word Score.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your religion have an answer for Ghwpqxlyop?
My guess is, it doesn't.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice!
Well, the Billionairs are not hearing such truths for one moment! Money is the only idea in their minds. They don`t even hear ring the death knelt of their hour!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
Wrong as usual.
<quoted text>
Religioüs garbage!
Brit Expat

Montpellier, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
To me, as an atheist (for 70 years or so) it is god non existent. The hole religious myths are at best fairy tales. Religious leaders are mostly fakers or worse. Uneducated masses are a pity or commited to crimes for milleniums.
Hi Henry, Could'nt agree with you more. I am 82 and the longer you live, it becomes more and more obvious what a scam religion really is!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

God does not appear in the constitution you reject.
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no "god' in US constitution, how come it appeared on "Every Dollar Bill"?
Who put it there?
Devil?
Or Jews that control Federal Reserve which Prints all the money?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Christians have always violently attacked nonbelievers, it is part of your history.
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't kid yourself, Gomer. We're the masters of atrocities. We will rule the world and you're going to be the first one on our hit list. LOL!
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
A most excellent quote-- and reason enough to doubt any gods of any sort.
There are and were many thousands of gods, not even one of them has ever been real! Funny garbage nothing else!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

insidesecrets wrote:
<quoted text>
What does science offer, if not a collection of tentative theories?
Everybody dies...nobody gets out of it, but some of us can see beyond the veil of physicalities.
Some of us cannot see beyond TV soaps, in MHO they're MOSTLY on this tread.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

We see why their beliefs bring, the killer is a male and his victim is female.

Pay a fine and move on the Islamic leadership way.
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Muq,
Another news story of interest for you.
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middl...
Rather than getting the death penalty or receiving a long prison sentence for the crime, Fayhan al-Ghamdi served only a few months in jail before a judge ruled the prosecution could only seek ‘blood money’.
I know you will say this is nothing to do with Islam. But you need to start waking up to the insanity of religion. This sort of thing happens too often.
insidesecrets

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Rational ethics such as those embodied in the Affirmations of Humanism are far superior to Christian ethics. Christians ethics should be ignored wherever they contradict rational ethics.
You're an atheist, not a humanist. You have no philosophy, no code of rational ethics, you're not an organization. You simply lack a belief in God. Isn't that your standard mantra?

Atheism leaves people feeling vulnerable. Without a divine protector to keep their best interests in check, they become frightened people and frightened people don't want freedom. They want protection, a leader who will order their lives for them. That leader is secular science. And what has secular science provided to soothe the savage beast, this accidental creation alive without direction or purpose? Since Darwin's Origin of the Species, there has been a protracted period of scientific speculation, theories, observations and opinions, but no substantiated conclusions identifying the atheist place in creation. He is left to his own wiles, hence his paranoia.
Actually, Christians really have no idea about right and wrong at all. Anything that your god is alleged to have said or done is called perfect love. If you can convince a Christian that his god commands him to enucleate the eyes of puppies with a fork, they'll do it and call it perfect love.
The paranoid atheist organizes the world around his obsession with religion. He cuts everything out that does not apply. Invents stories to support his fears until all conforms to his beliefs.
Furthermore, unlike secularists, Christians are desensitized by a bible that catalogs its god's genocides and other atrocities one after another, chapter after chapter.
And they are taught that suffering is their god's will. How sick is this form a woman that the church wants to declare a saint:
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." – Mother Teresa
This combinations of ideas has had a devastating effect throughout history. Because of these attitudes, if you were a Jew in Nazi Germany, and the only thing standing between you and the gas chambers was the quality of Christian morality and character, you didn't have much chance. If you were waiting for these tens of millions of church trained Christians to do what Jesus taught and stand up and say, "This is wrong! Stop, Herr Hitler!" you were a dead Jew.
Humanism has no such failures.
Of course it has no failures. It has never been tested in its pure form. It's a philosophy, not a society. A philosophy that has been polluted by various interpretations since its inception. Whose version of humanism are you talking about? Religious humanism? Secular humanism? Inclusive humanism? Renaissance humanism?
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The communist ideal of giving everything to the collective appears in the Bible, and that was many centuries before Marx and Engels.
The Bible also shows how defying the collective has fatal consequences.
Perhaps Marx was inspired by the Bible.
Now don`t be so quick with your judgment. The nuclear age may destroy capitalism and mankind too. So there will be the end of humanity! So we may be have no human history anymore. This will be regrettable, but nature does not care! Perhaps then a different future will begin!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 11,801 - 11,820 of21,376
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min Richardfs 223,966
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Patrick 829
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr religionisillness 147
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 349
Talking some sense into you people... 6 hr Patrick 23
Maher to Stewart: 'Drugs are good, religion is ... 8 hr Patrick 4
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 15 hr NightSerf 1
•••
•••